7.1 speaker system for $500 or less - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just curious if someone can build me a 7.1 speaker system for $500 or less with the following conditions:

1.) Buy online, ideally all from one site.
2.) Sound better than Onkyo HT870 7.1 Speaker system (those are the speakers included on the HT-S7200)
3.) Dedicated HT room, approximately 20 x 17 with 100" pull up elite screen and approx. 180" painted-on-wall 2.35:1 screen
4.) AV receiver is Denon AVR-890.
5.) Primary uses in this order: Blu ray movies, HD sports on DirecTV (hockey), and online multiplayer video gaming on 360.

If it can't be $500 or less, I'd settle for $700 or less.

Thanks!!
pappy97 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Member
 
skdmrklcy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think you could come up with the 7 speakers for that, either Polk Monitor or Infinity lines. I doubt you would have enough left to do a Subwoofer of any account though.

Quick and Dirty:
Polk Monitor 60s 109 x 2 = 218
Polk CS2 Center 120
Polk Monitor 30s 90(Pair) x 2 = 180

Total is 518.

I like Polk speakers, some do not. I like bright speakers and only use them for HT use, if you listen to a lot of music some warn you off them. I listen to some music on them, and it sounds fine to me but usually don't listen to much music outside of the car to be honest.

I know there are deals on Infinity's to be had as well, but at this point I am being lazy.
skdmrklcy is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by skdmrklcy View Post

I think you could come up with the 7 speakers for that, either Polk Monitor or Infinity lines. I doubt you would have enough left to do a Subwoofer of any account though.

Quick and Dirty:
Polk Monitor 60s 109 x 2 = 218
Polk CS2 Center 120
Polk Monitor 30s 90(Pair) x 2 = 180

Total is 518.

I like Polk speakers, some do not. I like bright speakers and only use them for HT use, if you listen to a lot of music some warn you off them. I listen to some music on them, and it sounds fine to me but usually don't listen to much music outside of the car to be honest.

I know there are deals on Infinity's to be had as well, but at this point I am being lazy.

Thanks. To stay as close to budget as possible [even if it goes over], what subwoofer would you recommend given the conditions above? Thanks again!!
pappy97 is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Member
 
skdmrklcy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would have a hard time recommending a cheaper sub. I have a Polk PSW110 but only because I got it for $125 and was coming from no sub. I am going to buy a high end one when I get a house, or build one. Only reason I am keeping the Polk is because it works, and I will give it to my Father when I get a new one.

I have heard these http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-633 are ok for the money. Not heard one myself though.

I think if you go up to 250 or 350 for a sub you will get something a lot better.
skdmrklcy is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
calnbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You spent way too much money on receiver and not enough on speaker and subwoofer. Honestly, I wouldn't use a subwoofer cheaper than $600 for my "main" entertainment system....but that just me. Subwoofer makes a HUGE impact when it comes to HT. The BIC Accoustech H100 would be the cheapest subwoofer I would go if budget is a concern.
calnbs is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
oedius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Just curious if someone can build me a 7.1 speaker system for $500 or less with the following conditions:

1.) Buy online, ideally all from one site.
2.) Sound better than Onkyo HT870 7.1 Speaker system (those are the speakers included on the HT-S7200)
3.) Dedicated HT room, approximately 20 x 17 with 100" pull up elite screen and approx. 180" painted-on-wall 2.35:1 screen
4.) AV receiver is Denon AVR-890.
5.) Primary uses in this order: Blu ray movies, HD sports on DirecTV (hockey), and online multiplayer video gaming on 360.

If it can't be $500 or less, I'd settle for $700 or less.

Thanks!!

I can identify with you because I am in process of amost exactly same thing.

Center Speaker & Front L/R's; (3) BIC DV62CLR-S $335.94 ($111.98 ea.)
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV...=1RMNHZJFIUGQ8



Surrounds & Rears; (4) BIC DV62si $219.76 ($109.88 per pair) Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...=1RMNHZJFIUGQ8


Subwoofer; (1) BIC V-1220 $170.99 plus shipping
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-43...d_bxgy_e_img_c


Note; I went with BIC F12 subwoofer instead of the V-1220 but, it currently out of stock and sometimes costs a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

http://www.provantage.com/bic-america-f12~7BICA003.htm


I will probably be using BIC DV64's for my front L/R's instead of the DV62CLR-S's even though many people prefer them.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...=1RMNHZJFIUGQ8


And, here is another less expensive choice for surrounds; BIC DV52si Aatto
BIC DV52si Adatto $74.99 per pair plus shipping
http://www.amazon.com/America-Adatto...0908556&sr=8-2


Hope this helps!
Steve
oedius is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the recommendations. I realize I spent a lot on my receiver, reason being I expect to upgrade all speakers in a couple of years, perhaps as early as one year from now (but realistically 1.5-2 yrs).

Just need something to hold me over until I have a 2-5k budget for speakers/subs.
pappy97 is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oedius View Post

I can identify with you because I am in process of amost exactly same thing.

Center Speaker & Front L/R's; (3) BIC DV62CLR-S $335.94 ($111.98 ea.)
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV...=1RMNHZJFIUGQ8



Surrounds & Rears; (4) BIC DV62si $219.76 ($109.88 per pair) Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...=1RMNHZJFIUGQ8


Subwoofer; (1) BIC V-1220 $170.99 plus shipping
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-43...d_bxgy_e_img_c


Note; I went with BIC F12 subwoofer instead of the V-1220 but, it currently out of stock and sometimes costs a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F1.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

http://www.provantage.com/bic-america-f12~7BICA003.htm


I will probably be using BIC DV64's for my front L/R's instead of the DV62CLR-S's even though many people prefer them.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Ve...=1RMNHZJFIUGQ8


And, here is another less expensive choice for surrounds; BIC DV52si Aatto
BIC DV52si Adatto $74.99 per pair plus shipping
http://www.amazon.com/America-Adatto...0908556&sr=8-2


Hope this helps!
Steve

Thanks, I think it does help. This type of set up with BICs + Denon AVR-890 could definitely hold me over for a few years, at least.
pappy97 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
SUPERMANROB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

You spent way too much money on receiver and not enough on speaker and subwoofer. Honestly, I wouldn't use a subwoofer cheaper than $600 for my "main" entertainment system....but that just me. Subwoofer makes a HUGE impact when it comes to HT. The BIC Accoustech H100 would be the cheapest subwoofer I would go if budget is a concern.

I completely agree with calnbs here. I would suggest you go with $500-$700 for front left and right for now and build from there. Do not go cheap on the sub.
SUPERMANROB is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 22,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Two Energy C-300 towers for $129 each.
http://www.amazon.com/Energy-C-300-S...0909095&sr=8-1

5 Energy C-50s, use one as a center speaker.
http://www.wwstereo.com/website/ecom...x?product=C-50

Total $495, and you spend $200 on a Bic F12, PA-120 or BIC 1220 sub.
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-43...0909161&sr=1-3

Actually I'd suggest getting 3 towers and use 1 for the center since you have a pull down screen. And only get two C-50s for surrounds.

Afro GT
afrogt is online now  
post #11 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 309
BIC F-12: http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.p...pe=8&spkrID=84

I have this subwoofer and it has been a great addition. I got it a couple months ago for $200 shipped, and its still going for that price, though its tough to find in stock. Places like beachaudio.com and thenerds.net are good to check for stock.

PA-120: http://www.premieracoustic.com/buyno...red+Subwoofers

This sub is very similarly matched to the BIC F-12. It lacks the BASH amp of the F-12, does not have as low a frequency extension, and takes more power to drive; but it has a higher output, nicer finish, and better cabinet.

You can get it for $229 from: http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...red+Subwoofers

These are both the best choices at this price range. Dropping down to sub-$200, The Dayton SUB-120 is the best choice, available here: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=85274490

If you can bite the bullet and spend a bit more, than this is an awesome subwoofer for $350: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
calnbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Infinity Primus 362 at frys is a good buy. Find a center PC350 and some cheap bookshelves. A little over your budget but its worth keeping even if you upgrade later on. Might not leave much for your subwoofer budget.

The 12inch Dayton subwoofer at Partsexpress.com gets by and its better than no subwoofer but nothing to jump up for joy. But hard to fault a $155 subwoofer.
calnbs is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,828
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

I completely agree with calnbs here. I would suggest you go with $500-$700 for front left and right for now and build from there. Do not go cheap on the sub.

Yea building on this, buy a nice set of L and R and sub, and then just add the same caliber speakers later to build on it. No point in wasting money on budget speakers, only to replace them all so quickly. You would get much better performance from a nice 2.1 setup over a budget 7.1 setup.

I would recommend doing this:

Buy 2 Infinity P362 Tower Speakers from Frys.com, $149 each, $300/pair.

Get the Elemental Design A2-300 subwoofer for $350.

Cables and connections from www.monoprice.com

This will give you a very nice 2.1 setup, and then down the road you can add the matching center, the PC350, and then the surrounds are really flexible, but in keeping the Infinity, the P162 would be a good match.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Transmaniacon is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
SUPERMANROB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My suggestion would be these(RS6's) If you have a stand alone Magnolia in your area they may give you a great deal on these also since Monitor Audio just replaced these:

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/
SUPERMANROB is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
oedius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Thanks, I think it does help. This type of set up with BICs + Denon AVR-890 could definitely hold me over for a few years, at least.

I shouldv'e checked Provantage closer. See there prices on these;

DVCLR-S $77.15 plus shipping http://www.provantage.com/bic-americ...s~7BICA00F.htm

DV62si $85.53 plus shipping per pair http://www.provantage.com/bic-americ...b~7BICA00H.htm
oedius is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
pappy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So this story has a happy ending.

I ordered a cheap Onkyo 7.1 speaker set (HT870) and it was supposed to come Friday. By fate, IMHO, the shipment was damaged and the seller told Fedex to not deliver and gave me a refund. At the time I was ticked off, but my wife was big on setting this up this weekend so we went shopping.

Went to Fry's and Best Buy and I was gonna get some Polk stuff but my wife urged me to go all out, break the budget, and get dream speakers, Klipsch speakers. So now I have this setup. It's all hooked up and fantastic.

Receiver: Denon AVR-890 (got it for $600 from Overstock.com, killer deal)
Front Speakers: Pair of Klipsch VF36 towers
Center: Klipsch VC25 Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back speakers: Pair of Klipsch VS14 surround speakers (Free from Best Buy with purchase of 2 VF36's and VC25)
Now here is where it gets creative:

Surround side speakers: Two satellite Klipsch speakers from Klipsch HD Theater 500 (Klipsch 5.1 Speaker Set)

Subwoofer: Sub from HD Theater 500 set (Klipsch 8" Down-Firing Sub)

[The remaining Klipsch speakers from the 5.1 set are going downstairs to upgrade some satellites in our 5.1 living room setup)

Also I have a BIC America V-1220 sub coming in the mail. Not sure how it will fit. I mean I'd love to go 7.2, but I worry about being able to sync up these two subs because they are different.

I think I did well, especially in the choice of wife department as on my own in this situation I would have gone all Polk and not splurged on Klipsch. My wife saw my face light up when I saw Klipsch and insisted we splurge, especially because speakers are a long-term investment. We already watched a few blu-rays in our HT with it and played some xbox 360 and "fantastic" is an understatement.
pappy97 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
SUPERMANROB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arizona
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

So this story has a happy ending.

I ordered a cheap Onkyo 7.1 speaker set (HT870) and it was supposed to come Friday. By fate, IMHO, the shipment was damaged and the seller told Fedex to not deliver and gave me a refund. At the time I was ticked off, but my wife was big on setting this up this weekend so we went shopping.

Went to Fry's and Best Buy and I was gonna get some Polk stuff but my wife urged me to go all out, break the budget, and get dream speakers, Klipsch speakers. So now I have this setup. It's all hooked up and fantastic.

Receiver: Denon AVR-890 (got it for $600 from Overstock.com, killer deal)
Front Speakers: Pair of Klipsch VF36 towers
Center: Klipsch VC25 Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back speakers: Pair of Klipsch VS14 surround speakers (Free from Best Buy with purchase of 2 VF36's and VC25)
Now here is where it gets creative:

Surround side speakers: Two satellite Klipsch speakers from Klipsch HD Theater 500 (Klipsch 5.1 Speaker Set)

Subwoofer: Sub from HD Theater 500 set (Klipsch 8" Down-Firing Sub)

[The remaining Klipsch speakers from the 5.1 set are going downstairs to upgrade some satellites in our 5.1 living room setup)

Also I have a BIC America V-1220 sub coming in the mail. Not sure how it will fit. I mean I'd love to go 7.2, but I worry about being able to sync up these two subs because they are different.

I think I did well, especially in the choice of wife department as on my own in this situation I would have gone all Polk and not splurged on Klipsch. My wife saw my face light up when I saw Klipsch and insisted we splurge, especially because speakers are a long-term investment. We already watched a few blu-rays in our HT with it and played some xbox 360 and "fantastic" is an understatement.

Pappy congrats I'm glad your very happy with your new set up......your the only one that matters.
SUPERMANROB is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
Something_Soft's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MN
Posts: 502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do not buy 7.1. All Blu-Ray is available in Dolby TrueHD 5.1

Don't waste your time and money.
Something_Soft is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off