Speaker/Receiver Help - Product Choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am new at buying home theater equipment (5.1 speaker set and a receiver) and was wondering if someone could give me their take on this. Best Buy is offering a deal on the Definitive Technology speakers ($800) paired with the Yamaha RX-V765 ($600) where if you bought them together, you would get $200 off the pair (so $1200 for the set).

I began doing some other research and found some other speakers that may give me the quality I want for much less of a price. Specifically, I came across the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for $400 and the Klipsch HDT500 for $600. I want a speaker that is a good for all purpose use and produces a quality sound for somone who can't tell the difference between a great speaker and an incredible speaker (i.e. not necessarily audiophile quality, but still overall good quality).

As for receivers, I've researched a bunch of brands and just don't know what to choose. I know Yamaha will typically be better for music, while say Denon would be better for movies (and is also a bit more complicated to use?), but to my ears, I'm sure they would all sound the same. I essentially want good HDMI connectivity, not so complicated configuration and use (maybe a GUI for extra ease), up-converting audio and video, all the quality audio features you'd expect a decent receiver to have (dolby, HD audio, etc.). I've generally been referring to CNET reviews for that stuff.

For speaker price, at a maximum, I'll pay the $800 for the Def. Tech. 600s, but if I'm not losing a lot of audio quality, would love to pay half that for the Energy Take Classic 5.1 (or anything similar to and in between those products). One thing I noticed about the Klipsch is that some come with wall brackets which is a nice feature for no added expense.

For receiver price, I would ideally be at $400 or below.

So, can anyone help me with some advice on the above products or possibly different reccommendations? Like I said, I can get the Definitive Technology speakers ($800) paired with the Yamaha RX-V765 ($600) with a $200 discount ($1200), so that is essentially the highest end system I'm willing to put together.

I've also heard that I am going to need to spend $60 for 50 feet of cable and probably $30/wall bracket for 4 brackets.

Any suggestions as to where I can cut cost significantly while cutting quality minimally for my non-audiophile requisite status is the goal. Help please!

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

There is a lot of ways to build a HT system for around $1200. Depends on what you are looking for and what you want. Are you just looking for tiny speakers? Are you willing to look at bookshelves? Floorstanding? The size of your room you are trying to fill? Will this just be for Home Theater? Music? Games?
post #3 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

The room is about 15x15 with a loft open over the back third of the ceiling. I'd like a system that's all purpose....mainly movies and tv, but won't fail when it comes to music. I'm not an audiophile, so I don't think i'd be too picky. The other thing is that i currently rent. I'll eventually buy a house but not sure when or how big, etc. So, ideally the speakers would work for the room I currently have, but would be versatile enough to go to a potentially larger room or a more open room (like something that opens up to other sections of a house).

As for the receiver, I'm just interested in features and ease of use/setup. I'd like to pay under $500 (ideally under $400), but have good HD audio and video upconverting (though I am connecting solely through HDMI), good processing, maybe even a GUI to help with setup and use.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You can buy your speaker wires, plugs, HDMI, wall mounts, etc at monoprice.com. Very affordable, good quality, and fast and fair shipping.

To save money on receiver, I always like to buy last year's model or refurbished. With your budget, I would want to spend around $300-$400, since the biggest impact to sound is speaker. Accessories4less.com have refurbished Onkyo and Marantz. Shoponkyo.com sells refurbished Onkyo. Harman Audio at ebay sells refurbished Harman Kardon receiver. I have no idea which authorized dealer sell refurbished Denon and Yamaha.

Seems like you are set for buying just sattelite speakers? The drawbacks with small speaker is that its design for small rooms, if the room size is too big or changes, you might be disappointed with them. Bookselves with a good subwoofer is the way to go if space is an issue. Never under-budgeted your subwoofer. It's a huge factor when it comes to HT.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

So do you think I'm getting a good deal then by getting the DefTech 600s and the Yamaha RX-V765 for $1200 together? I'm essentially buying $800 speakers at full price and getting a $600 receiver for $400. Or do you think I can do better on price without losing too much quality. It seems like the DefTech 600s would be versatile in terms of using them in a possibly larger or more open room, but I just want to make sure I'm not over-spending where I can save.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

DefTech is a good brand and BB have a good return policy. Take it home and audition it in your own room. If you like it, keep it. If not return it. I listened to DefTech but not the 600 system, mainly their floorstanding and thought it sounded very good for home theater. That subwoofer on that system will not cut it for me.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post

DefTech is a good brand and BB have a good return policy. Take it home and audition it in your own room. If you like it, keep it. If not return it. I listened to DefTech but not the 600 system, mainly their floorstanding and thought it sounded very good for home theater. That subwoofer on that system will not cut it for me.

With a $1200 budget, I think you can do a lot better then the def-tech and receiver. Here is a quick option that should give you better performance and uses book shelf speakers instead of satellites. I will even include cabling and Stands as an additional expense. You just don't need to spend 600 on a receiver for an 800 5.1 set.
New receever with a heavily discounted price. Currently $370 with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120133&Tpk=onkyo%20tx-sr607

2 sets of these for front and rear. $130 a set, $260 total with free ship.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290011&cm_re=Polk_monitor_40-_-82-290-011-_-Product

This Polk CS2 for center. $120 with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290011&cm_re=Polk_monitor_40-_-82-290-011-_-Product

This will give you a nice healthy $450 for a ED sub. Not sure for price of shipping.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...53b3a7c056fe0a

This will give you truly solid system, and IMHO much better, for your $1200.

As for the speaker stands and cabling, here you go.
Speaker stands.$38 a pair. 2 pairs for $76 with free ship.
http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-BF-31B-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00006JQ5O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260987092&sr=8-4

Speaker wire. $10 for 50ft
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Plugs/Speaker connectors. 6 sets of these for $2.50 a piece. $15 total.

Subwoofer Cable.25ft for $7

HDMI cable. 6ft 10 bux each.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I can definately build a good system with $1,200 but seems the OP is determine to go with satellites speakers.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 374
^^ eD ships theirs sub for free using FedEx =)

You might want to go with these stands instead, http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-..._bxgy_e_text_b

31" stands + the monitor 40 is going to put the optimum ear-level at almost 40", I guess this just depends on how high up you sit in whatever you sit in, but that might be too high for some rooms.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #10 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 04:08 PM

I can definitely vouch for the Onkyo 607 AVR. It doesn't get much simpler and it is pretty much future proof with 6 HDMI connections, 2 sub inputs, and great sound too. I got mine about 6 weeks ago for $365 shipped. Great buy right now.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-16-2009, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch140 View Post

So do you think I'm getting a good deal then by getting the DefTech 600s and the Yamaha RX-V765 for $1200 together? I'm essentially buying $800 speakers at full price and getting a $600 receiver for $400. Or do you think I can do better on price without losing too much quality. It seems like the DefTech 600s would be versatile in terms of using them in a possibly larger or more open room, but I just want to make sure I'm not over-spending where I can save.

Just directing this comment about The BB deal. You can buy the 600's for much less elsewhere. Locally I found them for almost $150 off. Check out E bay for better than that. Then you can get a $400 or less receiver(Denon 1610/590) or Pioneer 919. Lots of Def Tech owners choose Denon.

Pm me if you need a phone# for the local dealer. Has big discounts on the 800 series as well.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page