Reference 3A Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
Just got a pair of Reference 3A mm De Capo Is. Sweet sounding speakers.
Very easy to listen too. So far I have them hooked up to a Denon AVR 3808 , PS3 source, and a SVS PC Ultra13 to fill out the lower end. Anyone out there with these speakers and other Reference 3As can recommend perhaps a good separate amp or integrated to pair up with these speakers for better performance?
Any other comments about Reference 3A speakers are welcome too as I can't find another Reference 3A owners thread.
I would love to hear comments about other models of Reference 3As as I would maybe like to make a complete 5 speaker setup with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-25-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone out there have Reference 3A speakers?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Congratulations on the purchase. I have a pair of the Serie Master Monitors. I tried many speaker positions and found they sound best about 6 inches from a back wall, without toe-in. This enhances the bass response in my listening room while maintaining sweet mids and highs. Enjoy your new speakers!
post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
What do you use to run them? And are you using a separate sub with it?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 PM

I have run the (very rare) R3A Master Series MMC monitors with a long list of high-end amps. The purpose was to try more amps, not make the R3A's sound better. The speakers always sound GREAT with a high-end pre and amp. R3A's are also efficient so you can use tubes. After more than 30 years in this hobby, my favorite pre-amp/power-amp combination is a set of Musical Fidelity a3cr. The a3cr pre-amp produces absolutely musical, wonderful, full sound. The a3cr power-amp is a perfect match with plenty of clean power. You can get a pair of Musical Fidelity a3cr (pre and power) on Audiogon for about $1500. Highly recommended combination!
post #6 of 12 Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I'll look into them.
I'm still surprised at how little people know about these speakers.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
CFX

Let's bring back this thread.

Oddly enough the most popular and advertised Reference 3A speaker is the Grand Veena. There are few opinions and reviews on AVSForum with respect to these speakers.

From my personal experience, I had the opportunity to listen to these with a wide selection of music in a dedicated audio room and was completely floored. Granted, I'm a young man of 25 years who has very little experience with respect to listening to audiophile equipment. But I didn't need to listen to other equipment to be completely and utterly floored by what I was hearing, no, experiencing.

I believe these speakers retail for about $8000 dollars. When I heard the Grand Veenas, they were in a dedicated listening room hooked up to McIntosh MC2301 300watt tube monoblock amplifiers (flagship McIntosh amps) and a Perfect Wave DAC.

Female acoustics were real, I don't know how else to put it. I listened to a Patricia Barber acoustic album and could swear she was in the room singing. Piano and bass was ultra realistic as well. Forgive me, I'm not a writer and cannot accurately convey the experience I had listening to these speakers, but they pushed the limits of what I thought was possible with a stereo system.

I'd like to hear anyone's impression of who's heard them before (especially if they are interested in selling)
post #8 of 12 Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtimmmy View Post

Anyone out there have Reference 3A speakers?
I've had the De Cappo's since 2000 and absolutely love them. Run them with a Mirage bps 150i sub (crossover set at 70 in Pre pro and mains set to small) and the performance is outstanding. I've listened to systems that cost 4 times what I have and would not trade!!
post #9 of 12 Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM

I just bought a set of R3A series masters in great shape save one problem. Someone decided these were too clean and altered the 'zobel circuit' (cap and resistor) that connects between the positive and negative poles on the backside of the speaker terminals. I'm almost desperate to put them right but can't find any info on what is supposed to be in there. If any one out there knows this info or if they have set of Series Master and would be kind enough to have a look I would be eternally grateful!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetech View Post

I just bought a set of R3A series masters in great shape save one problem. Someone decided these were too clean and altered the 'zobel circuit' (cap and resistor) that connects between the positive and negative poles on the backside of the speaker terminals. I'm almost desperate to put them right but can't find any info on what is supposed to be in there. If any one out there knows this info or if they have set of Series Master and would be kind enough to have a look I would be eternally grateful!

Contact Tash Goka Divergent Technologies. TEL 519 749 1565 FAX 519 749 2863 EMAIL divergent@divertech.com They make and distribute the speakers and is a great guy (owner actually) and i'm sure will be able to help you with your problem. These are fabulous speakers so I hope you can get them working properly. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Mike
post #11 of 12 Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1soupmeister View Post

Contact Tash Goka at Divergent Technologies. divergent@divertech.com . They make and distribute the speakers and is a great guy and will be able to help you wit your problem. These are fabulous speakers so I hope you can get them working properly. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Mike
fwiw, i own a pair of the mm de cappo i's i purchased used a few years ago and have not heard anything that sounds anything near in the price i bought them for. thought i was set for a long time until i saw the new cappo be's might have to start saving up and give a listen

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #12 of 12 Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 PM

absolutely fantastic reviews on the de capo's..very impressive
Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version