Best 7.2 Speaker System for less than $1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got an Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver in an amazing Amazon sale. I am an audio noob trying to build a speaker system for a 15x25' room. The 707 is 7.2 capable. What is the best 7.2 speaker system that I can buy for under $1000? Preferably reasonably priced near 700 or so, but I am flexible.

I tried searching, but that only got me more confused as there were 7.1, 11.2, and all crazy stuff.

(I don't mind mix and matching speaker different brands as long as they sound good)

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
The is no one "best" 7.2 system. You'll have to put something together yourself based on room size, price, speaker size restrictions.

There are too many manufacturers to list that make good speakers.

Provide some of this info and people will be more readily able to help you.

1. Room size
2. Price range
3. Speaker type preferences (towers, bookshelf, satellites?)
4. Music vs TV, Movies vs Gaming % of use
5. Does speaker color matter, because there are some good deals on non-black speakers
6. Do you even have proper placement for a 7.2 system?

Afro GT
post #3 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The is no one "best" 7.2 system. You'll have to put something together yourself based on room size, price, speaker size restrictions.

There are too many manufacturers to list that make good speakers.

Provide some of this info and people will be more readily able to help you.

1. Room size
2. Price range
3. Speaker type preferences (towers, bookshelf, satellites?)
4. Music vs TV, Movies vs Gaming % of use
5. Does speaker color matter, because there are some good deals on non-black speakers
6. Do you even have proper placement for a 7.2 system?

1. Room size = 18' x 12' in living room with an adjacent kitchen 20' x 12' to make a long hall of 38' x 12'
2. Price range = 500 to 1000
3. Speaker type preferences (towers, bookshelf, satellites?) = No towers due to its ugly size. Bookshelf on floor and satellites are ok. My mom was impressed by the size of Bose speakers and Sony golf ball speakers. But my dad was not impressed by their sound.
4. Music vs TV, Movies vs Gaming % of use = 50%, 35% movies, 15% gaming (Wii and PS3)
5. Does speaker color matter, because there are some good deals on non-black speakers = color does not matter. black is fine since Onkyo 707 is black. but color choice is flexible
6. Do you even have proper placement for a 7.2 system? - We have a 3 seater and a 2 seater so we have ample space to arrange furniture.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Looking forward to hearing your invaluable advice.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Just because you could go 7.2, doesnt mean you should. I think it would be better to get a better 5.1 system then a worse 7.2 system.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 578
I think I would rather have a 3.1 or 2.1 for 1K rather than try to go full 5.1. 5 or 7 speakers plus subs mean some pretty big compromises.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshkumar1984 View Post

2. Price range = 500 to 1000

With that price range, I would have to agree with the others: you should limit yourself to a 2.1, 3.1, or 5.1 system and leave the 7.2 for another day when you can afford to upgrade.

If you're *set* on a 7.2 system, then you could get the Energy Take Classic 5.0 set, pair 'em with a couple of Energy Take SAT bookshelves (use those as the L/Rs), and a couple of Hsu Research STF-1 subwoofers, coming in just under $1000.

That's just an example. There are other ways to build it, but that system will match well, sound pretty good, and has the advantage of high Wife Acceptance Factor (if that's important to you) while still sounding *much* better than any Bose or Sony "golfball" speakers.
Quote:

5. Does speaker color matter, because there are some good deals on non-black speakers = color does not matter. black is fine since Onkyo 707 is black. but color choice is flexible

Color doesn't matter except as you care about the aesthetics of your system (and whatever WAF requirements exist).
post #7 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kyuu, shadj, and tank171! Your suggestions were helpful. I'm following up with another post in a minute
post #8 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I realize that a 5.1 system might make more sense. But I forgot to mention that I already have some speakers from a home theater in a box system. I have Panasonic DVD Home Theater Sound System SA-HT930 (http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Pana...SA-HT930&rt=os)

How does this speaker system compare to the suggestions given? I have a subwoofer, 2 standing speakers, and 2 rear speakers.

The problem with the current system is that it uses a proprietary system cable that connects the subwoofer to the receiver containing a 5 DVD changer. The speakers are also connected through the subwoofer rather than the receiver. I don't care much for the 5 DVD changer because of my PS3. I believe I can re-route the speakers to use the Onkyo 707 receiver, but I am not sure how to re-route the subwoofer to the Onkyo 707 receiver because of the proprietary system cable.

So with these 4 Panasonic speakers and my Onkyo, I believe I have a 5.1 system in place? I don't know how good the quality of these speakers are, but I am hoping to upgrade the entire system with additional speakers into a very good 7.2 theater under $1000. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve my current system?
post #9 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 03:06 PM

You should really listen to what people have said so far. A good 2.1, 3.1, or 5.1 system will sound worlds better than a pieced together 7.1. My advice is go with some of these choices. If you go with the Polk monitor 70's for the fronts you could probably do without a sub but if not I listed 2 good choices.

http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TSB...ir-P45C27.aspx
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TSB...ir-P46C27.aspx
http://www.thespeakercompany.com/TST...air-P72C8.aspx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-024-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-094-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-010-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-013-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-015-_-Product
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...f61d131e0c154b
https://svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

Edit: I forgot to say, but, don't even bother using the speakers from that Panasonic with the Onkyo. Do something like 2 Polk 70's, 2 Polk 30's, 1 Polk CS2, and a Elemental Designs A2-300 for 920 bucks. You're not going to get much better for the price than that. Or Maybe 2 Polk 50's, 2 Polk 40's, 1 CS2, and the ED A2-300 for 800.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
sor

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I just priced a Polk 7.1 system over at crutchfield. They've got $299 off of a polk sub when you spend $500 on polk, so it comes to $839 after $504 in discounts.

Here's what I got:

RTi4 bookshelves x 3 pair, $149/pr (in-wall RC65i set are the same price)
CSi3 center, $129
DSWPRO 500 10" sub, $260 (after $299 discount)
post #11 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshkumar1984 View Post

I realize that a 5.1 system might make more sense. But I forgot to mention that I already have some speakers from a home theater in a box system. I have Panasonic DVD Home Theater Sound System SA-HT930 (http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Pana...SA-HT930&rt=os)

How does this speaker system compare to the suggestions given? I have a subwoofer, 2 standing speakers, and 2 rear speakers.

The problem with the current system is that it uses a proprietary system cable that connects the subwoofer to the receiver containing a 5 DVD changer. The speakers are also connected through the subwoofer rather than the receiver. I don't care much for the 5 DVD changer because of my PS3. I believe I can re-route the speakers to use the Onkyo 707 receiver, but I am not sure how to re-route the subwoofer to the Onkyo 707 receiver because of the proprietary system cable.

So with these 4 Panasonic speakers and my Onkyo, I believe I have a 5.1 system in place? I don't know how good the quality of these speakers are, but I am hoping to upgrade the entire system with additional speakers into a very good 7.2 theater under $1000. Do you have any suggestions on how to improve my current system?

There is no point in 7.1 because all Blu-Ray is encoded in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD. Go to Blu-Ray.com. It will not be accurate sound because they will use algorithms to try and make a 7.2 channel sound out of a 5.1 source.

Go on eBay, get 2 pairs of P162s for a little less than $200 a pair (use eBay bing cashback for free - 8% off) Then get a PC250 or PC350. Then I'd suggest something like a CADENCE CSX-15 for a subwoofer. Under $1,000. Buy it on eBay. Good luck.
post #12 of 20 Old 12-26-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
There is no point in 7.1 because all Blu-Ray is encoded in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD

What? I have more Blu Ray in DTS-MA than True HD.

Afro GT
post #13 of 20 Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What? I have more Blu Ray in DTS-MA than True HD.

Well, not DTS-HD MA. The point of Blu-Ray is uncompressed audio, right?
post #14 of 20 Old 12-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Something_Soft View Post

Well, not DTS-HD MA. The point of Blu-Ray is uncompressed audio, right?

I think the poster meant 5.1 tracks, both DTS MA and TrueHD. There are a number of 7.1 Blu-Rays out there, but there's not many. That doesn't mean there won't be in the future, though!

However, I am in concurrence with the rest of the forum members - with your budget. a good 5.1 setup is much better.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-08-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

There is no point in 7.1 because all Blu-Ray is encoded in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD. Go to Blu-Ray.com. It will not be accurate sound because they will use algorithms to try and make a 7.2 channel sound out of a 5.1 source.

http://blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php
There are more movies than you think in 7.1

That said, I agree with everyone else that a *good* 2.1 or 3.1 system will be far more BftB than a 5.1 or 7.2 system for under $1K.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #16 of 20 Old 01-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
I say go for a good 5.1 setup as well. I don't know how happy you will be without using floor standing speakers in the front in a room that big/deep. If you could settle on floor standers, you could do a pretty nice and simple Polk setup. You could actually pull off a decent 7.1 for under $1000. M60's up front, 40's surrounds, 30's as the rears, CS1 center and something like a PA-120 sub. That comes in at about $900. Or you could go even bigger and "uglier size" with the M70's and still come in at right at $1000. Would be a decent 7.1 setup. Or if you just can't do floor standing, use the M40's in the front as well, and the bill would only be about $750. Leaving enough for stands for the fronts and any wiring and install stuff you need.
post #17 of 20 Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 PM

I found this thread searching for a similar speaker arrangement for my family room. Room dimensions are very similar to the original author's room.

I will go with (5:1 system) bookshelf for R,L, and Center, in-ceiling rear (R/L) and sub placed on the floor in the rear corner of the room.

75% TV/Games and 25% music. It's also for family room use with much noise from adjacent kitchen. By no means is this a dedicated theatre, but I would like the "effect" of a theatre when we do get to enjoy a full length movie from time to time. The sound effect from the Bose Cinemate is good enough for movies, but I know I wouldn't like them for music.

I am a big Klipsch fan having owned Klipsch for decades. However, the price adds up fast for a 5:1 I like the Klipsch for music listening. The 25% music is for ME as I would rather listen to good audio for music, but I'm resigned to settling for far less.

I was directed to Jamo by a Klipsch rep as a possible solution to budget restraint.

I put together a 5:1 Jamo speaker system for about $1000. Any thoughts? I've never heard a note out of a Jamo speaker.

I am very familiar with the Polk set ups having followed insight from this forum 2 years ago, then watching the sales at frys and such for the bookshelfs and floor standing, etc. Per this thread, it appears that Polk is still the go-to system for those on a tight budget.

I am not familiar if Polk has in-ceiling speakers that match with their bookshelves, but I will research.

Anyway, I appreciate insight on Jamo or similar makes, models.

Thanks.
post #18 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Liked: 148
Quote:

Here is a list of all the BRs with 6.1 sound:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search

Terminator 2 has DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 for example.

Here is the list of all the BRs with 7.1 sound:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search...&action=search

Dark City has DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 for example.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To the OP: You have a nice receiver. I agree with the other posters that probably starting with a 5.1 system is the way to go. You can always add a couple back surround speakers and a second sub later on if you really want to. Trying to buy all that stuff with your $1000 budget right away is just going to lead to too many compromises. The beauty of home theater is that you can build your system piece by piece, and replace older equipment as needed.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post

To the OP: You have a nice receiver. I agree with the other posters that probably starting with a 5.1 system is the way to go. You can always add a couple back surround speakers and a second sub later on if you really want to. Trying to buy all that stuff with your $1000 budget right away is just going to lead to too many compromises. The beauty of home theater is that you can build your system piece by piece, and replace older equipment as needed.

I think this is the best advice especially where we are in 'life' where we very rarely get to sit down and enjoy a movie with all the additional sound effects, etc.

On the other hand, we do get to put on some nice music more often, so I'm reprioritizing and focusing all the resources on the three front channels and add the rears later.

Thanks.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page