Mounting sealed speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a JVC microsystem (FS-S57) and want to mount the speakers on the wall. The speakers weigh 5lbs each. My mounts will support 30lbs (for use of better speakers down the road) and must be screwed to the speaker.

There are no pre-drilled mount points in the speaker. The back panel of the speaker looks to be 1/8" while the sides look to be 5/16" and the cabinet is likely MDF or similar.

Obviously there's not enough thickness at the rear to screw into. I'd rather not screw into the side of the cabinet but will do if there's no other option (it'll be hidden). I can take the drivers out (seeing as I broke 2 mounting tabs for the bezel) to put a backing in if required although the back of the cabinet has a triangular piece glued there but I could go above or below it.

The only other option I can think of is to glue a piece of wood to the back panel then screw into that... is this a viable option and if so, is there anything I need to take into account before doing this?

Which option is best?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyo View Post

I have a JVC microsystem (FS-S57) and want to mount the speakers on the wall. The speakers weigh 5lbs each. My mounts will support 30lbs (for use of better speakers down the road) and must be screwed to the speaker.

There are no pre-drilled mount points in the speaker. The back panel of the speaker looks to be 1/8" while the sides look to be 5/16" and the cabinet is likely MDF or similar. There are no screws around the drivers (that I can see) to remove them and mount via bolts.

Obviously there's not enough thickness at the rear to screw into. I'd rather not screw into the side of the cabinet but will do if there's no other option (it'll be hidden). The only other option I can think of is to glue a piece of wood to the back panel then screw into that... is this a viable option and if so, is there anything I need to take into account before doing this?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to do it the right way and not damage your speakers...

SANUS SYSTEMS WMS-2 Large Speaker Wall Mount (WMS2)
Link: http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-...058950&sr=8-35

Pinpoint AM40 Side-clamping speaker wall mounts
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-AM40-...058950&sr=8-47

If you want to try to use what you have, you could try to glue a peice of wood to the back of the speaker like you said but it probably won't hold as well and not look as good.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

So now that I can get into the cabinet (and wanting to use the mounts I've already bought) I'm thinking the best (and less destructive route) is to use an aprox 4X4" piece of plywood and glue it to the back of the cabinet as well as 4 bolts/washers in the corners (I've read that gluing MDF can be problematic and this way it's double banked security against my speaker falling). The mount could then be screwed into the plywood.

Any plusses/minuses to this?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
since you can get into the case, glue your 4" reinforcement piece to the inside of the case. Drill through the case back and the plywood reinforcement, add a "t-nut" on the inside of the patch http://www.woodpeck.com/tnut.html for the threads of your existing mounting bolt. Now you have a very strong mounting point. When you are ready to actually mount the speakers, put some silicone sealant on the threads of the mounting bolt, so the enclosure is "re-sealed" after the bolt is in-place.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

That seems like a great idea... except that there's a triangular piece of mdf glued to the back of the cabinet right in the centre of the area between the rear port and the base... exactly where I'd put the 4" piece.

I decided to measure front to back from inside and out and have found that the rear panel is thicker than I thought; 12mm (1/2"). Could I get away with installing the t-nuts directly into the MDF and just mounting to that?
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
if it's 1/2" MDF, then yes - the t-nuts will work fine
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page