GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 2709 Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DUMFRIES, VA USA
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yea, I appreciate that input. The reference that I am coming from in my own home are (in my dedicated theater room) a L&R pair of (about ten years old now?) Def Tech floors BP-7004 (has a 10" side-firing sub) and one/two mid= hard to count a front and back firing speaker. It has an aluminum tweeter that, to me, is "OK," but with only one dedicated FRONT-firing mid (I think it is about a 4 1/2" mid), the speaker does not seem to be...I'll say particularly forward in its presentation. Tweeter seems, again, "OK," but perhaps not as lively and present as I might like. Interestingly, that 10" side-firing/integrated sub in that Def Tech BP7004 seems darn nice to me and though I am not "sold out" to the bi-polar concept, I do like the integrated sub and set the things on "full."
Soooooo, I am just wondering if these Goldenear Triton 2 might be exactly what I would appreciate, as they (a) are not bi-polar, (b) do have the built-in sub (though I also have a dedicated sub in opposite end of room), and (c) I have been looking to get a little more mid AND a little more clarity/presence from the tweeter (e.g. cymbal resonance).

Any comments on how you think these Triton Twos would compare (they're certainly almost double in price) to my Def Tech BP-7004, regarding the aforementioned "wish list?" Thanks for responses.
WOLVERNOLE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 2709 Old 01-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi, I very much appreciate the lively discussion and interest in the speakers. Obviously, you have to hear them for yourself properly set up (far apart, toe'd in directly at the listener and with level control around 9 o'clock) and with good program material. Needless to say, the quality of the program material clearly determines the sound that you hear. I find the comments on the tweeter very interesting. Other than ionic tweeters, this is the most extended, fastest and smoothest tweeter that I have ever heard. In fact, when we began to work with it, I knew that it was very good, but I had no idea just how good. Relatively speaking, domes have significantly higher distortion, especially above 10K, which adds a certain hifi zing which can at first be confused with added detail. In fact, with some kinds of music or lower quality recordings this added zing can be appealing. Our tweeter, however, truly sounds like real and like music. My friend David Chesky (of Chesky Records) was around at the show and was blown away by the speakers. He said they absolutely reproduced instruments as they sounded live, and sounded like a $30,000 pair of speakers. I think that you see the reviewers have been quite consistent in their praise of the tweeter. You probably haven't seen it yet, but in the February Sound & Vision the Triton is awarded their "Audio Product of the Year" honors. Their are several Editor's Choice Awards, but only one Audio Product of the Year. Al Griffin writes," What struck me most about the Triton Two's was how closely my experience of listening with them paralleled previous encounters with no-holds-barred speakers- ones priced upwards of $50,000". But I will mention that when my business partner first heard the speaker he said,"where's the tweeter?". The point being that with this speaker, the tweeter doesn't stand out. It just does exactly what it is supposed to do and instruments sound real. Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #273 of 2709 Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DUMFRIES, VA USA
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Sandy. I really appreciate your response. Based on this: "OK, Thelma, start the car" (sounds of rubber burning and tires squealing out of the driveway to the nearest retailer demoing Triton Twos !)

Actually, I am waiting, as your nearest Virginia dealer DID sell the only pair you apparently supplied (according to them). Patiently waiting.
WOLVERNOLE is offline  
post #274 of 2709 Old 01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
65Cobra427SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Washington PA
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

...Def Tech floors BP-7004 (has a 10" side-firing sub) and one/two mid= hard to count a front and back firing speaker. It has an aluminum tweeter that, to me, is "OK," but with only one dedicated FRONT-firing mid (I think it is about a 4 1/2" mid), the speaker does not seem to be...I'll say particularly forward in its presentation. Tweeter seems, again, "OK," but perhaps not as lively and present as I might like. Interestingly, that 10" side-firing/integrated sub in that Def Tech BP7004 seems darn nice to me and though I am not "sold out" to the bi-polar concept, I do like the integrated sub and set the things on "full."

It's surprising how many similar comments I've read about Def Tech speakers...yet they use a pure aluminum dome tweeter like so many others. So where is the issue? Is it the design of the tweeter or could this simply be a side effect of incorporating such an agressive sub inside the same unit.
65Cobra427SC is offline  
post #275 of 2709 Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
g_bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 3,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I know the lf portion of the triton 2 is getting high marks but would the supersat 50 work well mated with a good quality sub? I know they can be wall mounted but how do they sound mounted vertically on the optional stands away from the wall?

g_bartman is offline  
post #276 of 2709 Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
HD 335's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, I very much appreciate the lively discussion and interest in the speakers. Obviously, you have to hear them for yourself properly set up (far apart, toe'd in directly at the listener and with level control around 9 o'clock) and with good program material. Needless to say, the quality of the program material clearly determines the sound that you hear. I find the comments on the tweeter very interesting. Other than ionic tweeters, this is the most extended, fastest and smoothest tweeter that I have ever heard. In fact, when we began to work with it, I knew that it was very good, but I had no idea just how good. Relatively speaking, domes have significantly higher distortion, especially above 10K, which adds a certain hifi zing which can at first be confused with added detail. In fact, with some kinds of music or lower quality recordings this added zing can be appealing. Our tweeter, however, truly sounds like real and like music. My friend David Chesky (of Chesky Records) was around at the show and was blown away by the speakers. He said they absolutely reproduced instruments as they sounded live, and sounded like a $30,000 pair of speakers. I think that you see the reviewers have been quite consistent in their praise of the tweeter. You probably haven't seen it yet, but in the February Sound & Vision the Triton is awarded their "Audio Product of the Year" honors. Their are several Editor's Choice Awards, but only one Audio Product of the Year. Al Griffin writes," What struck me most about the Triton Two's was how closely my experience of listening with them paralleled previous encounters with no-holds-barred speakers- ones priced upwards of $50,000". But I will mention that when my business partner first heard the speaker he said,"where's the tweeter?". The point being that with this speaker, the tweeter doesn't stand out. It just does exactly what it is supposed to do and instruments sound real. Sandy

Hi Sandy, I'm not sure if you remember me from CES but I visited you on the last day and you played some Pat Metheny for me. I really appreciated you taking the time to chat and the tweeters are truly wonderful. Even with it being on the "brighter" side (at least to my ears), I didn't feel it would be fatiguing to listen to at higher volumes over an extended period of time. I was also very impressed by the soundstage the Tritons produced yet retaining excellent detail. I'm not sure if I would trade in my BP30s for these now only because most of my usage is for home theater and not 2 channel music and I still enjoy the bi-polar sound (any maybe my current disposable income ). However, if I had an opportunity to have a dedicated 2 channel setup, these speakers are on the top of my list.
HD 335 is offline  
post #277 of 2709 Old 01-15-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
truwarrior22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I know the lf portion of the triton 2 is getting high marks but would the supersat 50 work well mated with a good quality sub? I know they can be wall mounted but how do they sound mounted vertically on the optional stands away from the wall?

I haven't heard the supersat50, but if your going to use a sub, I would think the SuperSat3's would be a better deal. They sounded very good away from the wall some, but I havn't heard them on the wall.
truwarrior22 is offline  
post #278 of 2709 Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
cvictorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.stereophile.com/content/goldenear-triton-two

Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
Aldous Huxley
cvictorg is offline  
post #279 of 2709 Old 01-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Member
 
Jrlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sandy, obviously the triton twos are designed to be used with the cloth on, but what should we expect if we like to see our drivers.
Jrlane is offline  
post #280 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi, Regarding the SuperSat 50s: No question that these do sound better than the 3s, as well they should; over double the internal volume plus the two passives extend the lower midrange/upper bass and open the sound even more. Of course they are absolutely designed to be used with one (or two) of the subs.The optional stand is a base for shelf mounting and not a floor stand. There will be an optional floor stand for the 3. To HD 335: I'm glad that you enjoyed the Pat Metheny; sorry I didn't have something rockier. Next show I should bring some Doors! Regarding taking the cloth off: I personally think it would be a shame given the end result that we worked so hard to achieve. That said; you can certainly take the cloth off (a little bit of work to do it right) and get the same look you can see on the cover of Sound & Vision January. It is Sunday in NY and tonight Anne and I are going to Carnegie Hall for Keith Jarrett's annual solo concert. Oh Boy! Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #281 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Randy Bessinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, Regarding the SuperSat 50s: No question that these do sound better It is Sunday in NY and tonight Anne and I are going to Carnegie Hall for Keith Jarrett's annual solo concert. Oh Boy! Sandy

That sounds like it will be a special treat......great artist.
Randy Bessinger is offline  
post #282 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
g_bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 3,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
[quote=goldenear tech;19838448]Hi, Regarding the SuperSat 50s: No question that these do sound better than the 3s, as well they should; over double the internal volume plus the two passives extend the lower midrange/upper bass and open the sound even more. Of course they are absolutely designed to be used with one (or two) of the subs.The optional stand is a base for shelf mounting and not a floor stand. There will be an optional floor stand for the 3.

Thanks for the reply. I dont want to wall mount any speakers. The ss50 is obviously meant to be wall mounted. Would having it 18-26" off the wall effect the sound and is there any way to use these as floor standers?

g_bartman is offline  
post #283 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi, They would certainly sound good out from the wall on stands. I believe that there is a Sanus stand that would work. If you want, I will check to see and let you know. Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #284 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
g_bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 3,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, They would certainly sound good out from the wall on stands. I believe that there is a Sanus stand that would work. If you want, I will check to see and let you know. Sandy

That would be great Sandy, thanks

g_bartman is offline  
post #285 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
blackzarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Stopped by a local shop today to hear the GoldenEar Triton Two (as well as some other speakers), and I must say I'm pretty impressed with them!

I had a chance to listen to the B&W 800 Diamond and the Paradigm Studio 100 as well.

Of the three, I like the Paradigms the least. The GoldenEar was impressive because I felt that the bottom-end and midrange were actually somewhat close to the B&W's. Of course, the B&W's trumped both the Paradigm and the Tritons, but they cost a significant chunk more. The Triton Two is definitely a strong contender for $2.5k speakers, and put out a lot of sound considering their slim stature. I would say all three speakers leaned on the warm side.

Quick comparison of my impression:
Detail: B&W >>>> Paradigm >> GoldenEar
Highs: B&W >>>> GoldenEar > Paradigm
Mids:B&W >>> GoldenEar > Paradigm
Lows: B&W >>> GoldenEar >>> Paradigm
Imaging/Soundstage: B&W >>>>>>> GoldenEar >>> Paradigm

This was a pretty casual listen, as I was just stopping by and didn't have any of my own source material with me, so I was using their store classical sampler CD for the three systems. Hoping to go back some time with some friends with our own material!
blackzarg is offline  
post #286 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,005
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzarg View Post

Stopped by a local shop today to hear the GoldenEar Triton Two (as well as some other speakers), and I must say I'm pretty impressed with them!

I had a chance to listen to the B&W 800 Diamond and the Paradigm Studio 100 as well.

Of the three, I like the Paradigms the least. The GoldenEar was impressive because I felt that the bottom-end and midrange were actually somewhat close to the B&W's. Of course, the B&W's trumped both the Paradigm and the Tritons, but they cost a significant chunk more. The Triton Two is definitely a strong contender for $2.5k speakers, and put out a lot of sound considering their slim stature. I would say all three speakers leaned on the warm side.

Quick comparison of my impression:
Detail: B&W >>>> Paradigm >> GoldenEar
Highs: B&W >>>> GoldenEar > Paradigm
Mids:B&W >>> GoldenEar > Paradigm
Lows: B&W >>> GoldenEar >>> Paradigm
Imaging/Soundstage: B&W >>>>>>> GoldenEar >>> Paradigm

This was a pretty casual listen, as I was just stopping by and didn't have any of my own source material with me, so I was using their store classical sampler CD for the three systems. Hoping to go back some time with some friends with our own material!

Not a fair comparison but sounds like fun Golden Ears are just like Definitive Audio made in China and marked up 200%
wse is offline  
post #287 of 2709 Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
otk
AVS Special Member
 
otk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Not a fair comparison but sounds like fun Golden Ears are just like Definitive Audio made in China and marked up 200%

what is your point?

b&w and paradigm are made in other countries also

is that good or bad ?

the mark-up is pretty much the same on most if not all middle & high-end speaker brands

manufacturer sells to dealer for for $50, dealer sells to public for $100

this is not exclusive to def tech or any other speaker company

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
otk is offline  
post #288 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Newbie
 
surfdoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard of any reliability problems with the Triton towers? I auditioned them yesturday (impressive- I also own a pair of Mythos ST's along with a pair of Polk 2.3's and 3000p's) and was told from the dealer that their Force Field subs were having some issues with the amps. I believe the amp in one of the subs is rated the same as the Triton towers so does this mean they might have an issue as well? I know buying a new product from a new company is always a risk but I don't want to take that risk if waiting a few months gives GoldenEar enough time to sort out any issues that they might be experiencing. Any input would be appreciated!
surfdoggin is offline  
post #289 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi, There were some minor assembly issues on a small group of initial ship-outs which have been completely addressed and corrected in production and subsequent shipping and will not be present in products currently being delivered to customers. Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #290 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Newbie
 
surfdoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going to trust you on this one and am going to order a Triton Cinema Two set up (have to wait a few weeks for the Triton towers to get in). I'll be driving the system with a Z7 Yamaha receiver and will be using the system for surround sound music as much as I will be using it to watch movies. My previous rear surrounds were the FX1000 Polks and was wondering if you think there would be much to gain to using the SuperSat 50's instead of the 3's for the rear surrounds? My dealer didn't have the SuperSat 3's set up so I couldn't audition them and so I have nothing to base my decision on at this point. My only concern is they look pretty tiny and would question what they can accomplish with music. Any input on this would be appreciated and thanks for the info on the amp issue!

Also, how would the Tritons perform without the amps turned on? Have you had the chance to listen to them without the subs working? My Polk RT3000s had a on and off switch so sometimes I would just listen to them without the subs in use and sometimes I would use my Sunfire sub instead of the subs on the Polks. I did this also with my Mythos STs by using a Panamax surge protector to turn off the power to the subs as they don't have an on and off switch which I believe the Tritons don't either. Without the subs turned on the Polks were quite listenable for low to mid volume listening (night reading, etc) but the ST's were a little lacking but still listenable. If you have any comments on this I would appreciate it.
surfdoggin is offline  
post #291 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Member
 
goldenear tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi, I went up online to look at the surrounds. Clearly, with 2 6.5" drivers each they will go louder than the SS50 or SS3, which actually do go quite loud. They will not be an exact timbre match so depending on how picky you are this could or could not be an issue for you. If you were asking about the center, I would say absolutely get the SS50. With the surrounds, I would say try it with your current surrounds and see what you think. Regarding turning off the subs (which you would have to unplug) it would be something like you are experiencing with the STs. With both these speakers, the subs are fully integrated into the speaker sonically and replacing them with the Sunfire sub would not really replace the full function of the sub in the system. If you need any set-up tips when you get the speakers, please let me know. By the way, what dealer are you getting the speakers from? Sandy
goldenear tech is offline  
post #292 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
surfdoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I went up online to look at the surrounds. Clearly, with 2 6.5" drivers each they will go louder than the SS50 or SS3, which actually do go quite loud. They will not be an exact timbre match so depending on how picky you are this could or could not be an issue for you. If you were asking about the center, I would say absolutely get the SS50. With the surrounds, I would say try it with your current surrounds and see what you think. Regarding turning off the subs (which you would have to unplug) it would be something like you are experiencing with the STs. With both these speakers, the subs are fully integrated into the speaker sonically and replacing them with the Sunfire sub would not really replace the full function of the sub in the system. If you need any set-up tips when you get the speakers, please let me know. By the way, what dealer are you getting the speakers from? Sandy
Sandy,

Thanks for the response. Purchasing them from Chelsea Audio & Video in Beaverton Oregon. Have not purchased from them before but they seem to be a good group of people. Do you have any other dealers lined up for the Portland area? With Magnolia HiFi leaving the area (I don't consider the one's in Best Buy worth visiting) there really aren't too many good "high end" stores left in the area that I'm aware of.

Anyway, when I get my speakers (we decided to go with your Cinema Two set up- Triton Towers, 50 center, 3 rears) I will drop you a note to get some tips on setting them up.

Thanks again for the support. Its nice to see you taking the time to help people out and backing up your products. Much appreciated!!!
surfdoggin is offline  
post #293 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DUMFRIES, VA USA
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggin View Post

Has anyone heard of any reliability problems with the Triton towers? I auditioned them yesturday (impressive- I also own a pair of Mythos ST's along with a pair of Polk 2.3's and 3000p's) and was told from the dealer that their Force Field subs were having some issues with the amps. I believe the amp in one of the subs is rated the same as the Triton towers so does this mean they might have an issue as well? I know buying a new product from a new company is always a risk but I don't want to take that risk if waiting a few months gives GoldenEar enough time to sort out any issues that they might be experiencing. Any input would be appreciated!

Surfdoggin: Please compare for us in some detail a comparison between your Mythos ST's and the quality of the response of the Triton Twos. I am a little familiar with the Mythos ST's and was quite impressed, so that would, for me, be a realistic comparison (I cannot relate to B&W 800 $$$). I am also a little familiar with the Paradigm Studio series and they are certainly fine speakers as well.
Thanks for a response!
WOLVERNOLE is offline  
post #294 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Jrlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had extensive experience listening to the 804s, not the 804d, but i would just like to throw it out there that i really don't think the B&W win by the margin you were suggesting. What I believe is going on is you being pulled into the sound signature that B&W offers. Now from a price standpoint a twice as expensive speaker should sound better but i don't agree with you on the margin of the qualities you expressed. To me imaging and highs are not that much greater with the B&W. I plan on doing much more listening to the Tritons to get a better understanding of the differences but those are my opinions thus far.

I will also note that I know the 804d is supposed to be far better than the 804s in the highs but I have also heard of people that say they aren't so my argument really only applies to imaging.
Jrlane is offline  
post #295 of 2709 Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Newbie
 
surfdoggin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

Surfdoggin: Please compare for us in some detail a comparison between your Mythos ST's and the quality of the response of the Triton Twos. I am a little familiar with the Mythos ST's and was quite impressed, so that would, for me, be a realistic comparison (I cannot relate to B&W 800 $$$). I am also a little familiar with the Paradigm Studio series and they are certainly fine speakers as well.
Thanks for a response!

Wolvernole,

I think a direct comparison with the Mythos ST would be a really good gauge as where the Tritons stand as most people in the industry has at least heard the ST's before. Unfortunately, I have lived with the ST's for a few years now in my living room and I auditioned the Tritons in a showroom for maybe 20 to 30 minutes at most. It wouldn't be fair to really compare them unless they were both in the same environment. As soon as my Tritons arrive and I spend a little time with them I will give an honest comparison between the two. I will say my first impression when I first heard the Tritons was where is the sub? Not the subs in the towers themselves but I was looking around for a stand alone sub as I couldn't believe that the Tritons that were sitting in the middle of a large room at least 15 or maybe 20 feet from the nearest wall could produce the deep bass that they were putting out (and the dial was just at the 9 o'clock position, just above the minimum). It seems that they may have an advantage in the bass department. They also seem to be, how do I put this, a little warmer and less fatiguing? The one trait I dislike about the ST's is the longer I listen to them during one sitting the more I dislike their sound. I hope that makes sense. I will wait until I get the Tritons in my living room before I comment more.

It would be nice if Mr Gross could give his honest opinion (if that's possible) on the Mythos ST versus the Tritons. Who better than Sandy to compare the two? He seems to be an honest man so maybe, just maybe, Sandy can give us some insight on what sticks out in his mind between the two. It would be nice to hear from others as well who have lived with both speakers. Anybody out there?
surfdoggin is offline  
post #296 of 2709 Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Newbie
 
Safe and Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK got the system installed last Friday
It was the supercinema 50, wall mounted paired with a Pioneer Elite SC-37.
The only issue is the sub-woofer was not delivered in time for the installation.
So I had to borrow a Def Tech cube.
I'm not an audiophile by any means but they sound fantastic. I played the Iron-man Bluray and everything sounded crisp with the mid range was well covered unlike the Mythos which sounded a little flat when I tested it in the store. Tried some classical music and it also sounded excellent.

As a consumer I love the styling. They look great on the wall and match well with my Panasonic Plasma. With kids having them off the floor is a major consideration, and I wasn't looking to build anything into the wall. The wife loves the look too (which might be an even more important) and the curves and cloth give it a softer yet still techy look that works well for me.

I have to say I'm very satisfied with the purchase so far especially considering the price in Canadian dollars is reasonable. Some other manufacturers tend to get us on the exchange rate, even though our loonie is stronger than the greenback
Safe and Sound is offline  
post #297 of 2709 Old 01-18-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DUMFRIES, VA USA
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggin View Post

Wolvernole,

I think a direct comparison with the Mythos ST would be a really good gauge as where the Tritons stand as most people in the industry has at least heard the ST's before. Unfortunately, I have lived with the ST's for a few years now in my living room and I auditioned the Tritons in a showroom for maybe 20 to 30 minutes at most. It wouldn't be fair to really compare them unless they were both in the same environment. As soon as my Tritons arrive and I spend a little time with them I will give an honest comparison between the two. I will say my first impression when I first heard the Tritons was where is the sub? Not the subs in the towers themselves but I was looking around for a stand alone sub as I couldn't believe that the Tritons that were sitting in the middle of a large room at least 15 or maybe 20 feet from the nearest wall could produce the deep bass that they were putting out (and the dial was just at the 9 o'clock position, just above the minimum). It seems that they may have an advantage in the bass department. They also seem to be, how do I put this, a little warmer and less fatiguing? The one trait I dislike about the ST's is the longer I listen to them during one sitting the more I dislike their sound. I hope that makes sense. I will wait until I get the Tritons in my living room before I comment more.

It would be nice if Mr Gross could give his honest opinion (if that's possible) on the Mythos ST versus the Tritons. Who better than Sandy to compare the two? He seems to be an honest man so maybe, just maybe, Sandy can give us some insight on what sticks out in his mind between the two. It would be nice to hear from others as well who have lived with both speakers. Anybody out there?

Amen and amen ! I appreciate the comments and referencing the different listening environments while still offering first thoughts on the Goldenear Triton. Yea, my same thought...Sandy could really give an objective opinion/comparison, though, come on, he would ALMOST be obligated to give a lean to the (newer/evolved) Goldenear Tritons

Surfdoggin, I will look with anticipation for an update when as you said, you get a set-up I believe, in your home.

Meanwhile, Goldenear Tech, can you break down the Mythos ST vs.Triton 2 ?
WOLVERNOLE is offline  
post #298 of 2709 Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,083
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 362
What is the price of the SS50 system with one sub?

And can they be bought over the phone?

There is no dealer in Hawaii.

Thanks
Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #299 of 2709 Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Newbie
 
HiAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sandy
I bought Triton Two from Woodbridge Stereo NJ last Monday. Do you think these speakers have minor assembly problem as you mentioned.
HiAudio is offline  
post #300 of 2709 Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
amheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought it was just the subs with the issue, but perhaps Sandy can clarify.
amheck is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off