GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 100 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 119Likes

post #2971 of 2997 Old 02-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Center Channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I was gonna ask the same question, that 60 should not be matched with the Ones. Are you using the fives for rears?
Hi, The 60C can absolutely be used with the Ones, with a higher crossover point than you would use with the SuperCenter XL. Normally, you would choose the 60C, if you were depth constrained (as in wall mounting or above a fireplace) and the XL if you have the depth. All the Best, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2997 Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
We expect the Triton Fives to be in the stores in April, as long as they order them, of course. Who is your dealer? Thanks, Sandy
My dealer is Jerry's AV in Phoenix. They said they spoke with you (Goldenear, not you personally) and my order is in and should have them by April.
post #2973 of 2997 Old 02-09-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
We expect the Triton Fives to be in the stores in April, as long as they order them, of course. Who is your dealer? Thanks, Sandy
Quote:
Hi, The 60C can absolutely be used with the Ones, with a higher crossover point than you would use with the SuperCenter XL. Normally, you would choose the 60C, if you were depth constrained (as in wall mounting or above a fireplace) and the XL if you have the depth. All the Best, Sandy
And that is precisely my circumstance - mounting above fireplace so no depth for the XL (although I am looking at whether a below fireplace spot for the XL is possible).
post #2974 of 2997 Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Fun with powered subwoofers: My wife's new cats love tearing around behind my rig which, predictably, has lead to some disconnections. Through various experiments, I've found that the amps in my Triton Ones will stay energized for maybe 5 seconds after I pull the plug. It was quite startling, sort of like cutting the head off a monster and have it wander around before falling over.

Apologies if this behavior has been observed previously. All new to me!
post #2975 of 2997 Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Triton 7 vs Paradigm Millenium 200

I am thinking of replacing my front three speakers and cam across Goldenear. I currently have Paradigm Millenium 200 towers for my LR and a 30 for my center. I was looking at the Trion 7 and SuperSat 60C for the center (due to ascetics - The SuperCenters are almost a FOOT deep!). Would this be an upgrade, downgrade, or even changeout? I already have two subs in my room, so no need to worry about that.
keikihula likes this.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #2976 of 2997 Old 02-10-2015, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
I am thinking of replacing my front three speakers and cam across Goldenear. I currently have Paradigm Millenium 200 towers for my LR and a 30 for my center. I was looking at the Trion 7 and SuperSat 60C for the center (due to ascetics - The SuperCenters are almost a FOOT deep!). Would this be an upgrade, downgrade, or even changeout? I already have two subs in my room, so no need to worry about that.
I haven't heard the PM200s, but from the review I read (http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...speaker-system), I think your main benefits will be a much more advanced tweeter design as well as fewer compromises due to packaging. The review mentions the 200s being on the bright side. I, too, came from speakers I judged to be too bright. The GE tweeter is even more precise but doesn't suffer from harshness or breakup modes I dealt with in my previous set. Having a bigger, more conventional cabinet will also likely improve things, as will 7 or so years of advancement in materials and crossover design.

Find a dealer and audition a set, see what you think. That won't cost you anything.
post #2977 of 2997 Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

There just so happens to be a dealer in my area - which is another problem with Paradigm...there are none that actually carry anything. I will do an audition, thanks!

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #2978 of 2997 Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend some height adjustable stands that work well with AON 2 speakers? A 30 inch height will work fine for the front pair, but I need to raise the back surrounds up to about 42 inches to clear the top of a bar table. I am doing a 5.1 setup right now that is both for movies and music, but I may want to go for a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X setup in the future.
post #2979 of 2997 Old 02-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa247 View Post
Can anyone recommend some height adjustable stands that work well with AON 2 speakers? A 30 inch height will work fine for the front pair, but I need to raise the back surrounds up to about 42 inches to clear the top of a bar table. I am doing a 5.1 setup right now that is both for movies and music, but I may want to go for a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X setup in the future.
I modified a pair of microphone stands by adding a plate where the microphone usually goes. Cheap and infinitely adjustable.

Product design by day, immersive systems by night
post #2980 of 2997 Old 02-12-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwa247 View Post
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS42
looks like top plate is plenty big to support them

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #2981 of 2997 Old 02-12-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floman View Post
I modified a pair of microphone stands by adding a plate where the microphone usually goes. Cheap and infinitely adjustable.
Thanks for the reply.
post #2982 of 2997 Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS42
looks like top plate is plenty big to support them
Thanks for the reply. Those could work for my rears.
post #2983 of 2997 Old 02-12-2015, 10:03 PM

I have question: Currently my SCXL is in my BDI Marina in the space made for a center speaker. When I first got it I checked and the space above it was just barely the minimum recommended amount of clearance for the radiator on top. So my question is would it make a difference to have it sitting on top of the cabinet instead? I could always put my AV reciever in the middle spot since I wouldn't mind, aesthetically, it being exposed.

To check for myself I'd have to take the tv off the bolted on tv mount and raise it up a few notches, and I'd rather not go through all the trouble of doing that back and forth if it shouldn't make any difference. Perfectly happy with the current sound, but now I'm curious.
post #2984 of 2997 Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
Would the SS60 for LCR (maybe SCXL for center) fill my room size 16x20 size? I am having a room built (16x20 with 8ft ceiling before framing).

I watch movies and listen to Bluray concerts.

The sub is a jl f113. The screen is a 120" electric. I am looking for a clean setup.

Thanks,
TT
Do yourself a sonic favor and try to build the room to specs that are not multiples of each other. 19 x 17 x 8 or 21 x 15 x 8 will be much better for the sound in the room than the dimensions you quoted.
post #2985 of 2997 Old 02-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any Chance GoldenEar will be added to AXPONA April 24-26th. Was hoping to see/hear the new T5 and Subwoofer in person?
post #2986 of 2997 Old 02-22-2015, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Anybody using 3 Triton ones in a dedicated HT room as L/C/R. I am 99% HT and have a man cave with an AT screen. I currently have JTR speakers (high sensitivity, high output) but these have me intrigued. Wondering how they will hold up during "spirited" movie sessions. I don't get crazy loud like some of the guys on the JTR forum but I do listen to movies fairly loud compared to your non-avs consumer. Any first hand accounts? Any issues with the sound compressing at high levels? Any issues with dispersion patterns (most of the compression based drivers such as JTR, Seaton, JBL,etc... tend to have a 60*60 or 60*40 waveguide so you get good coverage for movies)? Let me know your thoughts or experiences. THank you
post #2987 of 2997 Old 02-22-2015, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Positioning speakers on/in cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snejenka View Post
I have question: Currently my SCXL is in my BDI Marina in the space made for a center speaker. When I first got it I checked and the space above it was just barely the minimum recommended amount of clearance for the radiator on top. So my question is would it make a difference to have it sitting on top of the cabinet instead? I could always put my AV reciever in the middle spot since I wouldn't mind, aesthetically, it being exposed.

To check for myself I'd have to take the tv off the bolted on tv mount and raise it up a few notches, and I'd rather not go through all the trouble of doing that back and forth if it shouldn't make any difference. Perfectly happy with the current sound, but now I'm curious.
Hi, Actually, it will probably sound better on top of the cabinet, as it will be closer to ear height. If it is still lower than ear height, there were some feet that came with the center that would enable you to raise the front a little and aim it to ear height. Also, if possible, move the speaker out to the front of the shelf, so there is no diffraction. This would be true of any speaker. All the Best, Sandy
post #2988 of 2997 Old 02-23-2015, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Have prices been announced on the Triton Fives? This weekend I am thinking about picking up 2 Triton Sevens, 2 Super Sat 3, and a Super Center XL. I am not sure if it would be worth waiting for the Triton Five.

EDIT: Found a link that says they will be $999 each. I only hear good things about the Sevens and they are more in my price range. I do not think I will wait.
RPGMasta likes this.
post #2989 of 2997 Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 198
You won't be disappointed. The Sevens are terrific speakers. I have that setup in my bedroom system (except for a 50C center, because of space issues). It's great for music and home theater.
RPGMasta likes this.
post #2990 of 2997 Old 02-24-2015, 09:47 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTissues View Post
Have prices been announced on the Triton Fives? This weekend I am thinking about picking up 2 Triton Sevens, 2 Super Sat 3, and a Super Center XL. I am not sure if it would be worth waiting for the Triton Five.

EDIT: Found a link that says they will be $999 each. I only hear good things about the Sevens and they are more in my price range. I do not think I will wait.
The Triton 7s are a great choice!
RPGMasta likes this.

Kemper Holt
post #2991 of 2997 Old 02-24-2015, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Noob here, but I joined the club with gently used 7s, xl, and Aon 3s. I can't wait to get everything fired-up. The new receiver comes Thursday and the wires are ordered too. Now, I just need to find a sub on my list, a tv, and an Oppo.
post #2992 of 2997 Old 02-24-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am going to need to mount my SuperSat speakers on the wall to make them work in my living room. I also can only mount them using a bracket because there is limited space between the crown molding and walkway where the speaker will go.

I could not find anything in the product manual on their website about mounting the SuperSat using a bracket, are these mounts standardized? These are the ones I am considering

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #2993 of 2997 Old 02-24-2015, 11:18 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTissues View Post
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am going to need to mount my SuperSat speakers on the wall to make them work in my living room. I also can only mount them using a bracket because there is limited space between the crown molding and walkway where the speaker will go.

I could not find anything in the product manual on their website about mounting the SuperSat using a bracket, are these mounts standardized? These are the ones I am considering

I'm using the Monoprice plastic brackets for my Supersat 3's mounted horizontally (see pic... sorry, it's rotated CCW 90deg). You have to get the right screw for it from your local hardware store. Sorry, I don't recall the size offhand, you can find it in this thread or the Goldenear site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	566569  

Last edited by bcms6; 02-24-2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: CCW rotated pic
post #2994 of 2997 Old 02-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone compared the Triton 1's to something like the Seaton Cat 12's or the JBL M2? I've decided that it's not the time for a full HT setup so I am going to do a 2 channel setup (maybe 2.1 or 2.2) in my family room. Ideally I would like not to have subs because it's the main room in the house and my wife may kill me if I put a sub or two in the family room. I've been in this house since July and have had Revel Studio 2 w/Hegel h300 amp, then Legacy Focus SE w/Emotiva XPR-1 mono blocks, and now I just bought 3 Seaton Cat 12 and am using 2 of them in full range mode on either side of my 75" TV.

I'd like to feel like I am front row of a concert when watching a concert DVD so maybe my expectations are a bit too much for a 2 channel setup. So, the Cats are awesome but I think to take it to the next level they need subs. So I'm wondering if Cats with subs would be the way to go, or maybe JBL M2 or even Triton 1's. Any thoughts on how to take my 2 channel setup to the next level??
post #2995 of 2997 Old Today, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Would adding a 3rd matching tower upfront for a center channel be worth it or are you better off with the supercenter?
post #2996 of 2997 Old Today, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

OK folks, so I have just returned from auditioning some Trion Sevens. The room where the audition was done was an perfectly room, with no sound treatment and an open doorway that lead to a hall where the entrance doors were found. Basically, it was more or less like a small living room, maybe 15' x 15'. It was, on other words, a perfectly horrible room sound wise...and exactly perfect for most home listeners since it matches what many people actually have. They had it setup as a 2.0 system, which was fine by me. I am going to also be using a center channel, but if I can get excellent sound without one, then that means I will be even more excellent sound with one.

He had his own demo music disc, but instead I brought along Depeche Mode's Black Celebration. The opening to the song Black Celebration has a lot of subtle sounds in it, all moving about, slowly building up. The vocals are distinctive and, if not rendered properly will sound just plain weird. It also has some nice effects deeper into the song. The Trion Sevens played everything beautifully, and I was surprised by just how much bass there was - since it does not have a built in subwoofer and none was in use. The sound clarity was precise, the items moved crisply about. I was happy.

I also brought along Battlestar Galactica Blood & Chrome. The opening scene, where Adama is fighting toasters in the simulator is full of all kinds of sounds. The high pitched rapid fire rounds being shot, the distinctive sound Cylon fighters make, the distinctive DRADIS sound. What can I say, but WOW. The Triton Sevens were AMAZING!! They filled the space with sound. The voices, in helmets, were properly muffled yet clear, then perfectly clear when no helmets were in use. The sounds were precise, scarily so. I swear I was hearing sounds almost directly beside me...yet the two speakers were in front of me (toed in slightly as they should be). The center area was full of sound, as if there was an actual center speaker in use. I was grinning ear to ear. I jerked to the side at one point when a sound was just a little too close to my ear, only to laugh at myself for it. It was like I was listening to it for the first time.

If anyone has doubts, go listen to them for yourself - it is free after all.

Also, my dealer says that Sandy get personally involved in the product line. My dealer ordered a bunch of horizontal speakers to use as surrounds for a guy and Sandy called him to make sure he did not actually mean vertical (since that is what almost everyone uses for surrounds). The buyer was going to place them underneath a soffit rail he put in his room, so he wanted horizontal surrounds so they would blend in more. But my dealer was happily surprised for the caller to actually be Sandy Gross himself.

Anyway, I purchased two Triton Sevens and a Supersat 60C, to be here on Wed or Thurs.

post #2997 of 2997 Old Today, 09:30 PM

So I just went all in on a Goldenear Atmos setup.

Triton Ones LR (these things rock, and are huge)
Super enter XL
4 x Supersat 50s
4 x HTR7000s

Question about LFE setup:

Since my receiver (X5200) has dual subwoofer outputs, should I run a separate cable to each Triton one, or use a splitter and just use the main subwoofer channel.

Plan is to eventually add a third standalone sub in the back of the room if needed, but for now going to just use the T1s for LFE.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers