GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 108 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 177Likes
post #3211 of 3233 Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
you could wait to see if Dolby DTS X is implemented and then you can use an existing 9 or 11 channel set up...
DTS hasn't revealed much in terms of how it will implement it's latest technology with existing floor speakers and the additional height speakers required. As of today, there is no white paper for DTS:X. A lot of DTS effort has been in the marketing to drum up support for it's new sound object format, but very little on the technical details or setup requirements.

In other words it may take a year before DTS:X speaker configuration is ironed out. Compare that to Dolby were the full 24.1.10 speaker configuration has been laid out for immersive 3D sound and I remain skeptical that DTS can better this. At best, DTS will be equivalent to Dolby Atmos in terms of 3D sound - just as DTS-MA is equivalent to Dolby TrueHD in lossless movie soundtracks.

There is also the issue of content. Atmos soundtracks are available today, though the quantity and quality is lacking. Even if one doesn't get an Atmos soundtrack in the movie, there is Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU) that will take advantage of the height channels with traditional 5.1/7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA lossless soundtracks.

How many DTS:X movies are available right now? One called EX MACHINA to be released in July 2015.

When will DTS release their 3D object sound up-mixer? Maybe end of the year. But you'll have to purchase a new pre/pro/receiver to try this out. That's an expensive option for a single (so far) content format.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).

Last edited by steveting99; 05-21-2015 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo and correction on availability of DTS:X content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3233 Old 05-22-2015, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
DTS hasn't revealed much in terms of how it will implement it's latest technology with existing floor speakers and the additional height speakers required. As of today, there is no white paper for DTS:X. A lot of DTS effort has been in the marketing to drum up support for it's new sound object format, but very little on the technical details or setup requirements.

In other words it may take a year before DTS:X speaker configuration is ironed out. Compare that to Dolby were the full 24.1.10 speaker configuration has been laid out for immersive 3D sound and I remain skeptical that DTS can better this. At best, DTS will be equivalent to Dolby Atmos in terms of 3D sound - just as DTS-MA is equivalent to Dolby TrueHD in lossless movie soundtracks.

There is also the issue of content. Atmos soundtracks are available today, though the quantity and quality is lacking. Even if one doesn't get an Atmos soundtrack in the movie, there is Dolby Surround Up-mixer (DSU) that will take advantage of the height channels with traditional 5.1/7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA lossless soundtracks.

How many DTS:X movies are available right now? One called EX MACHINA to be released in July 2015.

When will DTS release their 3D object sound up-mixer? Maybe end of the year. But you'll have to purchase a new pre/pro/receiver to try this out. That's an expensive option for a single (so far) content format.
Thanks for the info. I saw this http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300063437.html

Looks like implementation is happening with the new models. If DTS X is easy to integrate vs Atmos on the engineers part, then i think it is viable and could see transition quite easily when mixing.
post #3213 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Been looking into GE, anyone else have the Fives? Would like to hear more comments if anyone can chime in...thanks in advance.
post #3214 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
SuperSub XXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post
Any new SuperSub XXL news? Summer is near...
Hi, We expect to have the SuperSub XXL in the stores in late August. This is a rather complex product, and we want to get it right. All the Best, Sandy
post #3215 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 AM

SuperSat 3s for Dolby Atmos Height Speakers

Quote:
What about SS3's mounted on a swivel holder. Could be attached to the ceiling and aimed at the MLP?
Hi, As suggested here, we have had several folks who have mounted SuperSat 3s on pivot mounts either on the ceiling or very high on the walls angled down, with excellent results. We feel that this gives much better results than bouncing sound off the ceiling. All the Best, Sandy
Bigham16 and sonic debauchery like this.
post #3216 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 07:43 AM

SuperCenter XXL is Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
What's the latest on the new center channel rumors?
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
post #3217 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Well actually, we expect them in our warehouse next week. It incorporates 4 5.25" drivers, 3 passive radiators and the HVFR tweeter, of course. There are three internal chambers. The two outer 5.25" drivers, which are optimized as bass drivers, are coupled to their own individual passives (similar in size to the passives used in the SuperCenter XL) and roll off at the top end at about 600Hz. The two 5.25" drivers which surround the tweeter are coupled to their own passive, which is similar to the one in the SuperCenter X. There is a balanced crossover, as incorporated in the Triton One and Five. Similar in height and depth to the other SuperCenters, it is 35" wide. Retail is $1249. All the Best, Sandy
Wow, perfect timing. I was about to upgrade my SC50 to SuperXL. I think I'll go fro the XXL now and also upgrade my T2s to T1s.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #3218 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post
Been looking into GE, anyone else have the Fives? Would like to hear more comments if anyone can chime in...thanks in advance.
Have them bought just another week till I get them.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Samsung BD-H6500 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #3219 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Well I have already ordered the XL to go with my order of the Fives, and can't see any reason to change I think my XL will be perfect for my Fives, and couldn't imagine paying that extra $500 for the 3 extra speakers included in the XXL.
Wish they would update their website more often, there is no mention of this new speaker anywhere on there.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #3220 of 3233 Old 05-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Have them bought just another week till I get them.
Very nice, congrats! please be sure to post your impressions!
rustolemite likes this.
post #3221 of 3233 Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Well I have already ordered the XL to go with my order of the Fives, and can't see any reason to change I think my XL will be perfect for my Fives, and couldn't imagine paying that extra $500 for the 3 extra speakers included in the XXL.
Wish they would update their website more often, there is no mention of this new speaker anywhere on there.
Hi, The SuperCenter XL will certainly match well with your Triton Fives, which I trust that you are enjoying. There is BTW, a new review up on the Triton Five today: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...st-look-video/ Please realize that the XXL is more that just 3 extra drivers (actually 2 more drivers and an extra passive) . In reality, the XXL required a lot of development time to get everything working well together and sounding right.The larger cabinet is much more complex inside, with three separate chambers. Also, although you hardly see it, the mounting depth of the drivers varies in order to help get the phase response aligned. The crossover is also much more complex, being both balanced, with polypropylene capacitors, and with an extra section to roll off the top end of the low frequency drivers located on the outside edges of the cabinet differently that the two inner ones. And, of course, a lot of R&D went into making it all work properly, including developing a new version of the 5.25" driver that is used for low frequencies, with a different voice coil for optimized low frequency performance. Sometimes what looks to be relatively simple, is not simple at all. All the Best, Sandy
post #3222 of 3233 Old 05-25-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Hi, The SuperCenter XL will certainly match well with your Triton Fives, which I trust that you are enjoying. There is BTW, a new review up on the Triton Five today: http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...st-look-video/ Please realize that the XXL is more that just 3 extra drivers (actually 2 more drivers and an extra passive) . In reality, the XXL required a lot of development time to get everything working well together and sounding right.The larger cabinet is much more complex inside, with three separate chambers. Also, although you hardly see it, the mounting depth of the drivers varies in order to help get the phase response aligned. The crossover is also much more complex, being both balanced, with polypropylene capacitors, and with an extra section to roll off the top end of the low frequency drivers located on the outside edges of the cabinet differently that the two inner ones. And, of course, a lot of R&D went into making it all work properly, including developing a new version of the 5.25" driver that is used for low frequencies, with a different voice coil for optimized low frequency performance. Sometimes what looks to be relatively simple, is not simple at all. All the Best, Sandy
Sorry didn't mean to question the build or design quality of the speaker, just noting that I couldn't see the benefit in upgrading to the XXL for the extra price. Would like to have tried out the new XXL but for now I have what I can afford.
And after watching the review really can't wait to receive my 5's.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #3223 of 3233 Old 05-25-2015, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thanks for the update the new center could make a great match with my Triton 1s.
post #3224 of 3233 Old 05-25-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Thanks for the update the new center could make a great match with my Triton 1s.
That's what I was thinking is this center was made for matching with the ones.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #3225 of 3233 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have 4 Super Sat 3's on my ceiling on pivot mounts pointed at the MLP. They are awesome! I have also heard the Invisa 7000 in an Atoms room and I cannot tell a noticeable difference between the two speakers.

BUT if I could have made the Invisa 7000 work in my room, then I would have gone with them.

Thank you Sandy on the update about the new XXL center. Just sent an email to my dealer about ordering one!

Quote:
What about SS3's mounted on a swivel holder. Could be attached to the ceiling and aimed at the MLP?
Quote:
Hi, As suggested here, we have had several folks who have mounted SuperSat 3s on pivot mounts either on the ceiling or very high on the walls angled down, with excellent results. We feel that this gives much better results than bouncing sound off the ceiling. All the Best, Sandy

Last edited by Bigham16; Yesterday at 07:49 AM.
post #3226 of 3233 Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I have a pair of definitive 7002 TL in cherry, and a definitive cs 8080 hd center black), I need to go to a smaller setup, I would trade all 3 for a pair of 7's, they are in as new condition and are set up for audition and inspection in maryland 21220, thanks Rick cell 410 698 2154
post #3227 of 3233 Unread Today, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Sandy,

Would you be willing to give us a sneak peak of the XXL Center Channel? Maybe a photo with the sock off?

Thanks!

Quote:

post #3228 of 3233 Unread Today, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
I have 4 Super Sat 3's on my ceiling on pivot mounts pointed at the MLP.
Which mounts did you use for the 3's?
post #3229 of 3233 Unread Today, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

I used these, Def Tech ProMount 80

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-80

These are a little bigger if needed, Def Tech ProMount 90

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-90

You can find either one at Best Buy, Amazon, online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Which mounts did you use for the 3's?

post #3230 of 3233 Unread Today, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I used these, Def Tech ProMount 80

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-80

These are a little bigger if needed, Def Tech ProMount 90

http://www.definitivetechnology.com/...ts/promount-90

You can find either one at Best Buy, Amazon, online.
Thanks for the prompt reply!

Cheers
Bigham16 likes this.
post #3231 of 3233 Unread Today, 10:49 AM

SuperCenter XXL Photo

Quote:
Hi Sandy,

Would you be willing to give us a sneak peak of the XXL Center Channel? Maybe a photo with the sock off?

Thanks!
Here is a photo:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...740225&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoldenEar XXL Stacked2.1286.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	740225  
rcos and Bigham16 like this.
post #3232 of 3233 Unread Today, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Wow! That thing is a beast. Thank you and can't wait for mine to come in.

Quote:

post #3233 of 3233 Unread Today, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Very nice, it looks huge. Do you have approximate dimensions I have held out getting a Center Channel waiting on this, to be honest my T1s do an admirable job w/o one.

Thank you,

Marantz AV8802 Pre/Pro - Parasound Halo A51 / A21 Amps - GoldenEar: Triton One (main) Triton 7 (surrounds) Aon 3 (Rears)
Marantz UD 7007 Blu-Ray Furman Elite 20-PFI - Sony XBR-65X850B 4K (until my move)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page