GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 242Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3241 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I had planned on setting my 5's at 80hz and set to Small for everything but when I listen to music I just choose the 2 channel mode on my Yamaha.
Cyclonejason93 and d_m1010 like this.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3242 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechx View Post
Thanks for the feedback on the fives, glad you like them.
I'm curious, did you audition any other speakers other than Goldenears?
Not too seriously to be honest. I had heard the 7s a few weeks prior and fell in love with them. I did go listen to the B&W CM10s. They are great speakers but for twice the price of the GE 5s, in no way worth it. I like the tweeter on the 5s better, the midrange is just so well rounded and smooth and real. I briefly did demo the Paradigm Prestige series but in way are they worth the additional $ vs the GE Triton series. The 5 is really the sweet spot for me. Price, sound, midrange, overall coherence. Just outstanding. My buddies keep telling me the center channel HAS to be on when they listen. But nope, two channel.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3243 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I had planned on setting my 5's at 80hz and set to Small for everything but when I listen to music I just choose the 2 channel mode on my Yamaha.
Anxious to hear your thoughts on the Emotiva XPA5 with your 5s. Considering adding an XPA-2 for my mains. Then using my Rotel 5 channel for center, surrounds and Atmos at some point down the road. Assume you are really happy with the Emotiva?

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3244 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
Anxious to hear your thoughts on the Emotiva XPA5 with your 5s. Considering adding an XPA-2 for my mains. Then using my Rotel 5 channel for center, surrounds and Atmos at some point down the road. Assume you are really happy with the Emotiva?
Well the Emotiva is the only amp I have ever had so really nothing to compare too, I have had a XPA-3 and now my XPA-5 and I can say 100% that adding the amp made a difference in the sound and of course volume of all the different brands I have used.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3245 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
d_m1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Exposure Canada
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
Anxious to hear your thoughts on the Emotiva XPA5 with your 5s. Considering adding an XPA-2 for my mains. Then using my Rotel 5 channel for center, surrounds and Atmos at some point down the road. Assume you are really happy with the Emotiva?
I have a bunch of Emotivas and they are stellar.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
d_m1010 is offline  
post #3246 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Montana
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Woh! I'm intrigued. Looking forward to hearing more about them!
Montucky is offline  
post #3247 of 3444 Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
JKR1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I had planned on setting my 5's at 80hz and set to Small for everything but when I listen to music I just choose the 2 channel mode on my Yamaha.
Rust, weren't you using Paradigm Studio 100 and CC690 V.5's before?


How do the new speakers compare?
htpcforever likes this.
JKR1963 is offline  
post #3248 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well finally got them now just have to wait till Friday to hook them up.

Bigham16, Ediddy, RPGMasta and 2 others like this.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3249 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Rust, weren't you using Paradigm Studio 100 and CC690 V.5's before?


How do the new speakers compare?
Yeah still using the 100's and the CC690 will be this weekend before I can get the GE's hooked up. But I can tell that 100's are great speakers but the CC690 has been the biggest disappointment, the speaker is huge but just has never seem to be that clear have tried all settings but no luck.
I'm not sure if the Fives can match the overall power of the 100's but I do know the sound quality will be better.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3250 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Pontifus Maximus
 
DaveyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Try 60hz crossover on center. Seems to sound better on my XL. I also have the T5's.
DaveyMac is offline  
post #3251 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Montana
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Well finally got them now just have to wait till Friday to hook them up.

You lucky dog, you. That's a mighty fine haul you go there, sir. Post pics and a review once you have those puppies all hooked up and singing!
Montucky is offline  
post #3252 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Try 60hz crossover on center. Seems to sound better on my XL. I also have the T5's.
Will try that first, right now I have to use my CC690 at 100hz just to to get dialogue out of it that I can hear.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3253 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 09:04 AM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Try 60hz crossover on center. Seems to sound better on my XL. I also have the T5's.
Sames speakers and I use 60hz for the XL center as well. Sounds great.
rustolemite likes this.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3254 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Naylorman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I had the 2's with a supercenter xl , driven by Emotivas. Definitely set crossover at 60-70. either way you wont be disappointed. tremendous output.
Cyclonejason93 likes this.
Naylorman32 is offline  
post #3255 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
JKR1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Yeah still using the 100's and the CC690 will be this weekend before I can get the GE's hooked up. But I can tell that 100's are great speakers but the CC690 has been the biggest disappointment, the speaker is huge but just has never seem to be that clear have tried all settings but no luck.
I'm not sure if the Fives can match the overall power of the 100's but I do know the sound quality will be better.

This sounds like your cc690 may be defective.....mine is clear as a bell and I cross it over at 50 or 60....I play around with the settings occasionally. I know from the Para thread that there were some defective drivers in some of the 690's. I guess it is not your processor or receiver/amp section or anything. Something sounds wrong if someone does not get good sound from a 690.

I love my system right now but may be likely to get a GE system in the future (like I don't have enough speakers already!). I am thinking XXL Center and 1's or 5's.

I have only been able to hear the 3's and 2's so far.....but really liked the 2's.
JKR1963 is offline  
post #3256 of 3444 Old 06-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
This sounds like your cc690 may be defective.....mine is clear as a bell and I cross it over at 50 or 60....I play around with the settings occasionally. I know from the Para thread that there were some defective drivers in some of the 690's. I guess it is not your processor or receiver/amp section or anything. Something sounds wrong if someone does not get good sound from a 690.

I love my system right now but may be likely to get a GE system in the future (like I don't have enough speakers already!). I am thinking XXL Center and 1's or 5's.

I have only been able to hear the 3's and 2's so far.....but really liked the 2's.
Have had 2 different brands with my current AV setup and the CC690 is just not that great, its loud but a bit muffled.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3257 of 3444 Old 06-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Member
 
bcms6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is there any concern or risk of damage running a SCXL full range? I'm using an Oppo 105 as my source and pre/pro direct to amps and can only set one crossover point for all speakers, so I set it high for my SS3's.

Thanks
bcms6 is offline  
post #3258 of 3444 Old 06-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Still 2 more days till I can hook up my 5's but had another question has anyone been able to compare the 5's vs the 2's? Have you had both or listened to both at dealership, just curious to how they compare.

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3259 of 3444 Old 06-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Still 2 more days till I can hook up my 5's but had another question has anyone been able to compare the 5's vs the 2's? Have you had both or listened to both at dealership, just curious to how they compare.

Thanks
A buddy and I did when shopping for my Tritons. Originally was the 7 vs the 2 then a week later when the 5s came in we went back. Both of us preferred the 7 and the 5 to the 2s. To be fair though, the 5/7s were running through a Peachtree Integrated Amp with a nice Yamaha CD player. The 2s were hooked up to a Sony receiver and using a cheap bluray player as the transport. Not fair at all BUT even the 7s were better we both thought, especially in the midrange. I also didn't want/need the subs built in. Even with the bass difference, the 2s were in NO way worth twice the price of the 7s. IMHO.
RPGMasta likes this.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3260 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 05:06 AM
Senior Member
 
sonic debauchery's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
A buddy and I did when shopping for my Tritons. Originally was the 7 vs the 2 then a week later when the 5s came in we went back. Both of us preferred the 7 and the 5 to the 2s. To be fair though, the 5/7s were running through a Peachtree Integrated Amp with a nice Yamaha CD player. The 2s were hooked up to a Sony receiver and using a cheap bluray player as the transport. Not fair at all BUT even the 7s were better we both thought, especially in the midrange. I also didn't want/need the subs built in. Even with the bass difference, the 2s were in NO way worth twice the price of the 7s. IMHO.
I own the 2's and have heard the 7's not the 5's (can't wait though). That being said, i found the 7's lacking in midrange punch. My source was a peachtree dac hooked to an rotel cd player. They just did not produce the mid range well, it was good but not the same as the 2's.

I suspect the 5's are going to be amazing! I have heard the ones and absolutely love them. If the 5's are close to the ones in midrange, then it may make sense to add them in the future with 2 capable subs for the same money as the ones?
Cyclonejason93 likes this.
sonic debauchery is offline  
post #3261 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
A buddy and I did when shopping for my Tritons. Originally was the 7 vs the 2 then a week later when the 5s came in we went back. Both of us preferred the 7 and the 5 to the 2s. To be fair though, the 5/7s were running through a Peachtree Integrated Amp with a nice Yamaha CD player. The 2s were hooked up to a Sony receiver and using a cheap bluray player as the transport. Not fair at all BUT even the 7s were better we both thought, especially in the midrange. I also didn't want/need the subs built in. Even with the bass difference, the 2s were in NO way worth twice the price of the 7s. IMHO.
Hey thanks for the response, one of my first "big" speaker buys was a pair of Triton 2's but then I was only powering them with a Yamaha AVR and didn't have a stand alone sub. I know the quality of the sound the GE's can make and expecting the 5's to sound as good if not maybe better.

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3262 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
I own the 2's and have heard the 7's not the 5's (can't wait though). That being said, i found the 7's lacking in midrange punch. My source was a peachtree dac hooked to an rotel cd player. They just did not produce the mid range well, it was good but not the same as the 2's.

I suspect the 5's are going to be amazing! I have heard the ones and absolutely love them. If the 5's are close to the ones in midrange, then it may make sense to add them in the future with 2 capable subs for the same money as the ones?
I had originally gotten interested in the GE's again after the Ones came out but the more I thought about it felt it wasn't worth the money and might be too much for my room, 18x18x8, and already have a more than capable sub. If I was just a 2 channel music person with no Sub I would love a pair of the One's, but after the 5's were announced I thought these may be the ones I want.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3263 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
Montucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Montana
Posts: 506
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 115
What would you guys think about rocking a simple stereo setup with a pair of the Triton Ones (no external sub) for my music listening needs? NOT home theater. I have another room I'm dedicating for HT duty. Room's about 30' x 18' and is open and caddy corner to another room that's about 30' x 25'. 10' ceilings all the way around. Do these babies crank? I currently have a pair of Cerwin-Vega floorstanders that do a great job of filling all that space with ease and maintaining loads of bass. I know the Ones will be FAR superior in about every way, but not sure about their bass qualities at loud volumes, and in large spaces at that.

I'm sure they're great, but was just wondering about your opinions on using them for a dedicated listening station in large rooms. I like to listen to classical, sometimes jazz, rock (of ALL decades) and sometimes even gangsta rap and techno. My music tastes are all over the map, so I want a loudspeaker that's good at all of those things, but ESPECIALLY want something that excels in classical. Thoughts?
Montucky is offline  
post #3264 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
What would you guys think about rocking a simple stereo setup with a pair of the Triton Ones (no external sub) for my music listening needs? NOT home theater. I have another room I'm dedicating for HT duty. Room's about 30' x 18' and is open and caddy corner to another room that's about 30' x 25'. 10' ceilings all the way around. Do these babies crank? I currently have a pair of Cerwin-Vega floorstanders that do a great job of filling all that space with ease and maintaining loads of bass. I know the Ones will be FAR superior in about every way, but not sure about their bass qualities at loud volumes, and in large spaces at that.

I'm sure they're great, but was just wondering about your opinions on using them for a dedicated listening station in large rooms. I like to listen to classical, sometimes jazz, rock (of ALL decades) and sometimes even gangsta rap and techno. My music tastes are all over the map, so I want a loudspeaker that's good at all of those things, but ESPECIALLY want something that excels in classical. Thoughts?
For all the reviews I have read and personal owners input I think that is what the Ones were made for, is 2 channel stand alone music setup. To me the people that have a dedicated 2 channel setup don't listen to the type of music that really requires a dedicated sub, and the Ones would be more than enough bass, but you can always add a small sub down the road.
What would you be powering the Ones with?

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3265 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
I own the 2's and have heard the 7's not the 5's (can't wait though). That being said, i found the 7's lacking in midrange punch. My source was a peachtree dac hooked to an rotel cd player. They just did not produce the mid range well, it was good but not the same as the 2's.

I suspect the 5's are going to be amazing! I have heard the ones and absolutely love them. If the 5's are close to the ones in midrange, then it may make sense to add them in the future with 2 capable subs for the same money as the ones?
The 5s are clearly superior in the midrange to the 7s, you are spot on. I couldn't decide on the difference between the 7 and the 2s with the different source equipment. But head to head on the same sources, the 5s are excellent in midrange. You will love them.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3266 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
What would you guys think about rocking a simple stereo setup with a pair of the Triton Ones (no external sub) for my music listening needs? NOT home theater. I have another room I'm dedicating for HT duty. Room's about 30' x 18' and is open and caddy corner to another room that's about 30' x 25'. 10' ceilings all the way around. Do these babies crank? I currently have a pair of Cerwin-Vega floorstanders that do a great job of filling all that space with ease and maintaining loads of bass. I know the Ones will be FAR superior in about every way, but not sure about their bass qualities at loud volumes, and in large spaces at that.

I'm sure they're great, but was just wondering about your opinions on using them for a dedicated listening station in large rooms. I like to listen to classical, sometimes jazz, rock (of ALL decades) and sometimes even gangsta rap and techno. My music tastes are all over the map, so I want a loudspeaker that's good at all of those things, but ESPECIALLY want something that excels in classical. Thoughts?
FWIW, I could easily run even my Triton 5s without a sub for two channel music only. I would be more than happy with that.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3267 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
The 5s are clearly superior in the midrange to the 7s, you are spot on. I couldn't decide on the difference between the 7 and the 2s with the different source equipment. But head to head on the same sources, the 5s are excellent in midrange. You will love them.
Thanks for your input.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3268 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
FWIW, I could easily run even my Triton 5s without a sub for two channel music only. I would be more than happy with that.
Hey when you unboxed your Fives was the base already attached?

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
post #3269 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Cyclonejason93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lenexa, KS
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Hey when you unboxed your Fives was the base already attached?
Yes, base is attached. You can have them up in running in no time. Nothing to do but hook up the speaker wire. The center is a little uneasy on a stand with level feet due to the sock cover but the mains were up and going in no time.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
Cyclonejason93 is offline  
post #3270 of 3444 Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
rustolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
Yes, base is attached. You can have them up in running in no time. Nothing to do but hook up the speaker wire. The center is a little uneasy on a stand with level feet due to the sock cover but the mains were up and going in no time.
Okay I took one out of the box last night and noticed it was attached but heard some popping but I think it was the bottom of the box, was worried I had done something to the base. They need to upgrade the manual that says to install the feet.
I am not going to use those leveling feet for the center I will just but a slight tilt to my stand for the center, wish the end caps weren't so shiny since it sits right under my TV.
keikihula likes this.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
rustolemite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off