GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 242Likes

post #3331 of 3451 Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Getting bass "right" in a room is a combination of a few factors. You must have sufficient capability to create the bass (enough "woofer-age"), enough power to drive those speakers, and proper positioning of the bass source(s). Room size partially dictates the first two factors as well as your desired listening level.

Consider that most home theater applications consist of a larger pair of front speakers, a center channel speaker, and 2 or more smaller surround speakers. When we hook up the smaller surround speakers, we apply bass management so that the lower frequencies (which those speakers will not be able to reproduce) are sent to our subwoofer(s). Most home theaters have one or two subwoofers, and these are usually positioned along the front wall by the front speakers. So, although you may have 5-7 speakers (or more) as your sound array, your bass is typically reproduced by 1-2 speakers (3-4, if you have large front speakers). Bass management, while sending low frequencies to speakers that are capable of reproducing them, limits the number and position of bass sources in your room. This is important.

It's well known that bass reproduction in almost all rooms is very uneven, due to the reinforcement and cancellation (nodes and nulls) described by wave theory at the frequencies we're discussing. So, you can sit in one seat and have great bass, but move a few feet and have a much different experience. Multiple bass sources tend to "smooth" the bass response around a room, so that there are more "good seats". Another benefit is that additional drivers allow better headroom (more dynamic capability) to better reproduce big slams, etc. Therefore, in a well-calibrated system, additional bass sources can provide a better listening experience.

I can state that my setup does NOT have overblown bass, but the whole room is activated when the program material calls for it.

As to whether this is overkill, a Ferrari is overkill compared to a Kia. It depends upon the depth of experience you wish to have. Fortunately, GoldenEar speakers are so affordable that the step to the larger models for surround application is not ridiculous.

To tune the system, I simply ran only one subwoofer at a time and used an SPL meter to set each sub's output to match. I then ran them all together and used the sub level control in my processor to adjust the bass to the proper overall level. My comments regarding bass in different sections of a room were confirmed as I set up each sub: the adjustments knobs on the Tritons were set at different levels on each speaker while the output was the same.

Another reason to have more capable surround speakers is to play multi-channel music recordings, where the surrounds are not just relegated to "effects". It's truly impressive.

I'm awaiting the new Krell processor late this year, which will include the ATMOS, DTS:X, etc. overhead channel capabilities. Until then, even the listener-level theater experience is far better than what I've experienced before. This type of system could be duplicated using any of GoldenEar's smaller models that include their own subwoofer section, so those on a smaller budget could still construct a system that would provide these benefits.

Lee
heartlink likes this.

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2overhead speakers), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.

Last edited by RBFC; 06-28-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3451 Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I've just gotten my new theater up and running, with 3 pairs of Triton 1s and SupercenterXXL, with 4 HTR7000s in ceiling. While I won't have my new processor that has ATMOS, etc, until later this year, the sound is incredible. Along with my pair of JL Audio F113 subs, the Triton 1's integrated subs give me smooth and powerful bass coverage in the entire room. I still have more tuning to go, and plan to put up a few pictures soon.

Lee
Pictures?

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
GoldenEar Triton Five + SuperCenter XXL + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
LG BP550+ Sony BDP-CX960 + HTPC +Xbox One
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #3333 of 3451 Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a quick shot of the front wall of the theater. The JL subs are behind the front pair of Triton Ones. My son was trying out his Xbox One, so getting even one shot before things got nasty was difficult!

The RCA cables are split to send LFE to each Triton, 1 RCA sub output > 6 RCA inputs. The JL subs are run via XLR outputs from the processor. Still have some work to do, including placement of the room acoustic treatments. My big Krell amp is out for repair, so I grabbed an extra Emotive XPA-3 to run the fronts for now.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	799962  

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2overhead speakers), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #3334 of 3451 Old 06-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I've just gotten my new theater up and running, with 3 pairs of Triton 1s and SupercenterXXL, with 4 HTR7000s in ceiling. While I won't have my new processor that has ATMOS, etc, until later this year, the sound is incredible. Along with my pair of JL Audio F113 subs, the Triton 1's integrated subs give me smooth and powerful bass coverage in the entire room. I still have more tuning to go, and plan to put up a few pictures soon.

Lee
You have the best set up i have heard of in the Goldenear forum.

You will be one of the few to tell the rest of us how you have not only integrated everything but what subtleties there are.

You have an important job ahead of you for the rest of us!

Congrats, SD
post #3335 of 3451 Old 06-28-2015, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I have the XL

And here it is installed

Somehow the voices in movies and TV were still not great and my wife and I had a hard time with some dialog and had to turn up the sound too mcuh. Perhaps because the speaker was too far from the wall???? I was so frustrated with the results that I took the center channel out based on recommendations from a audio forum in Quattroworld. This was an improvement but still not perfect.

I suspect others had the same issues with the GoldenEars Ones (the towers that I have in the picture). So Sandy Gross introduced a new Center Channel designed to work with the Ones.

I just got a call from my rep and he said I should have it in a week. He will allow me to trade in my old one and try out this one to see if it makes a difference. The write up on it is:

The mega-high-performance SuperCenter XXL is only 35" wide and includes four 5-1/4" drivers, the GoldenEar High Velocity Folded Ribbon tweeter, three planar passive radiators, and our unique linear-phase crossover, employing fully balanced technology and precision film capacitors. The unique balanced topology reduces stray capacitance in the magnetic circuit, among other things, with the result of dramatically improved clarity. There are three separate internal chambers: a larger one in the center which contains two 5-1/4Ý drivers which run up to meet the tweeter and are coupled to the larger, 7Ý x 10Ý passive radiator in the center, and two smaller ones which each contain a special 5-1/4Ý driver engineered for low frequency response, which runs up to 500 Hz, and is coupled to one of the smaller, 6-3/4Ý x 8Ý passives.
I thought I would update everyone on my replacement of my center channel XL to the XXL.

First I want to thank Sandy for sending me a personal message earlier offering suggestions on how to improve things with the XL. My room setup and also my placement of the center channel are not ideal and his suggestions helped a lot. I have had problems with center channels from many other brands (Sony - PSB to name a few). The GoldenEars have been the best so far.

The new XXL has made a major difference. Voices are clearer - especially when words are mumbled or spoken softly or a different dialect. I am happy with my upgrade. Here is a picture of the new speaker.

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XXL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #3336 of 3451 Old 06-28-2015, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

I'm awaiting the new Krell processor late this year, which will include the ATMOS, DTS:X, etc. overhead channel capabilities. Until then, even the listener-level theater experience is far better than what I've experienced before. This type of system could be duplicated using any of GoldenEar's smaller models that include their own subwoofer section, so those on a smaller budget could still construct a system that would provide these benefits.

Lee
With your Goldenears speakers and JL Audio F113 subs setup, why not go for broke and get the Datastat RS20i or Trinnov Altitude32 AV preamp?

You wont ever need to worry about which format object audio is going to. Plus you'll get to experience either Dirac Live on the Datastat or Trinnov's 3D Optimizer room correction system. Can't go much better than these.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #3337 of 3451 Old 06-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

Lee
Really impressive set up. I currently have the T1s, SuperCenter XXL and 4 HTR 7000. I have dual Seaton Submersives and I think my next step is to utilize atmos. I don't have the space or the budget for additional sets of T1s but I will probably get the 50's to complete my set up.

Once again really nice
post #3338 of 3451 Old 06-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

I've looked into both the Datasat and Trinnov units. Dirac will soon have an outboard multichannel correction processor that will allow a user to integrate it into their own setup. I am waiting a bit before going in for mega-mega $$$ to allow the landscape to settle. There are still HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and other new implementations which require new chipsets. From what I've heard, almost all manufacturers are experiencing growing pains with the new technology.

BTW, the Seatons are great subs!

Lee

post #3339 of 3451 Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've looked into both the Datasat and Trinnov units. Dirac will soon have an outboard multichannel correction processor that will allow a user to integrate it into their own setup. I am waiting a bit before going in for mega-mega $$$ to allow the landscape to settle. There are still HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and other new implementations which require new chipsets. From what I've heard, almost all manufacturers are experiencing growing pains with the new technology.

BTW, the Seatons are great subs!

Lee
On the Dirac outboard multi-channel correction processor, are your referring to the miniDSP DDRC-88A?

If you're okay with the transparency of the additional ADA stage, the DDRC-88A sits between the analogue outputs of the pre/pro/receiver and the power amps. This would allow one to be future proof in terms of what ever the format is upstream. I.e. pre/pro/receiver agnostic.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #3340 of 3451 Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM

I have an integra 80.3 but I'm going to go Marantz 8802 or go back with the Integra 80.6 for atmos. I'll have to get another amp to run the additional 2 or 4 speakers. I love and hate how everything keeps evolving
post #3341 of 3451 Old 06-30-2015, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I went to the local dealer Wednesday and listened to the Triton Two's, XL Center, and (I think) Triton Seven for surrounds, and a Force Field Five sub. I was very impressed with the folded ribbon tweeter. I had a pair of AMT-1B speakers in the 80s and always loved the transformer, it just didn't blend well with the 10" woofer/10" passive setup those had. This speaker system seemed to blend seamlessly between all the drivers. I listened to both the 5.1 setup (he used Gravity for this) and also to some two channel stereo (Aaron Neville "Warm Your Heart" track 2). Except for my Sub, my system is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm considering an upgrade. I currently have Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350LS Center, F/X 500i Dipole surrounds, and SVS PC13 Ultra Sub. I believe my Polk speaker may have been designed by the same guy. They are very good for Home Theater but certainly lack something for critical stereo listening (though not horrible or anything and bass and midrange are actually pretty darn good). I'm actually amazed that nothing has ever died, all drivers work fine and both tower amps have never been touched.

If something in my current speakers would just die, this would be a much easier spend

post #3342 of 3451 Old 06-30-2015, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
On the Dirac outboard multi-channel correction processor, are your referring to the miniDSP DDRC-88A?

If you're okay with the transparency of the additional ADA stage, the DDRC-88A sits between the analogue outputs of the pre/pro/receiver and the power amps. This would allow one to be future proof in terms of what ever the format is upstream. I.e. pre/pro/receiver agnostic.
I heard rumors of a straight digital version, and will wait to see if that comes through.

Lee

post #3343 of 3451 Old 06-30-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I heard rumors of a straight digital version, and will wait to see if that comes through.

Lee
The only multi-channel digital version of Dirac Live that's currently availalbe is the miniDSP NanoAVR-DL. Unfortunately it's sitting in the wrong part of the audio chain when it comes to bass management.

post #3344 of 3451 Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
The only multi-channel digital version of Dirac Live that's currently availalbe is the miniDSP NanoAVR-DL. Unfortunately it's sitting in the wrong part of the audio chain when it comes to bass management.
As I run all the Triton Ones in large mode, I have no need for bass management with them. The Nano (which I wasn't aware was out!) is HDMI compatible, so it can be in the chain between Blu-ray player and processor. I'm not sure if the lack of advanced codec support is a deal-breaker or not...

My greater concern is the ATMOS channels and my 4 overhead speakers. At this point, I am unsure whether the overheads will require bass management (how much bass is contained in overhead/height channels?), as well as the total number of channels of processing available in the Nano.

Lee

post #3345 of 3451 Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^^ Your problem with the Nano here is going to be Atmos. The Nano can only accept PCM, which means that the decoding of all codecs must occur in the blu ray player and be sent out of it as multichannel PCM over HDMI. This is fine for all current codecs except Atmos (and presumably DTS:X as well), which currently must be sent out via bitstream and decoded at the AVR/pre-pro. In order for Atmos to work with the Nano, the blu-ray player would have to be capable of decoding Atmos (none currently can) and transmitting the resulting channels over HDMI (the limit on channel count for HDMI is currently at 8 IIUC, but may change with future revisions).
doublewing11 likes this.

post #3346 of 3451 Old 06-30-2015, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Answers to Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
Hi Sandy,

I do have a few related questions to keep you busy Thanks a bunch in advance for your time.

1) If you went all-out in the front with Triton One L/Rs and SuperCenter XXL, but needed a higher performance on-wall option for the 4 side/back surrounds (and floor-standers weren't an option), would you go with the Aon bookshelves over the SuperSat 3s (are the Aon's even wall-mountable)?

2) If so, would you still choose the Invisa MPX over the Aons if both in-wall or on-wall were available options?

3) Would you subscribe to this alternative "high wall-mount" option for Atmos if also concerned about also having a "universal" placement that also works well for Auro-3D (and upcoming DTS-X)?

http://screencast.com/t/58xw9pN2u7ee (from http://www.svsound.com/Welcome/t/intro-to-atmos)

If so, would you go with Aons, SuperSat 3s, or SuperSat 50s for the 4x height speakers?

4) Is there a difference with the HVFR tweeter position in the SuperSat C (center) versions (almost like driver array and/or concentric driver position)? In other words, if I wanted to use SuperSats for my height speakers, mounted horizontally using the "high wall-mount" option above, would I need to make sure I get the C versions to avoid potential sound combing issues? Or, is the difference strictly practical (stand placement) and/or aesthetics (grill logo position)?

Thanks again!
Hi, If you are looking for a wider range surround than the SuperSat 3s, the Aons (which are wall mountable, they come with a keyhole mount) are certainly good options. They Aons clearly are more full range, though the SuperSat 3s do a good job. Actually the Invisa MPX are excellent, very wide dispersion and extended low frequency response as the Aons. Clearly a cleaner look, if that is meaningful for you. I have not heard Atmos, with High Wall Mount, although I have spoken with dealers and customers who have done it with, usually SuperSat 3s, and report excellent results. Normally, people are using ceiling mounted Invisa 7000s. The SuperSat 3C is designed for horizontal placement and the tweeter is oriented for that. I am not sure that ceiling mount won't work fine with Auro and DTS, remains to be seen. I would use the 3C for high wall placement. All the Best, Sandy
post #3347 of 3451 Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As I run all the Triton Ones in large mode, I have no need for bass management with them. The Nano (which I wasn't aware was out!) is HDMI compatible, so it can be in the chain between Blu-ray player and processor. I'm not sure if the lack of advanced codec support is a deal-breaker or not...

My greater concern is the ATMOS channels and my 4 overhead speakers. At this point, I am unsure whether the overheads will require bass management (how much bass is contained in overhead/height channels?), as well as the total number of channels of processing available in the Nano.

Lee

Lee,

The miniDSP nanoAVR-DL sits between the blu-ray player and your receiver in the audio chain. The nanoAVR-DL only accepts PCM signals so the blu-ray player must be able to carry out the decoding and output PCM to the nanoAVR-DL. Unfortunately that means no Atmos or DTS:X object audio support. Also note that the nanoAVR-DL only supports up to 8-channels. You're going to have to figure something else for those Goldenear ceiling speakers.

It is also unformatuate that current Room EQualization (REQ) doesn't have flexibility to choose which channels to correct and others to leave alone. The choice is either all or nothing.

As this subject is going off topic, will be happy to stop if there's any complaints among the thread.

post #3348 of 3451 Old 07-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

No problem ending the Dirac chat here. Thanks for the suggestions, etc.

I will say that the sound in the new theater is superb. Watched Escape Plan last night & had a blast. Sandy Gross is to be commended for not only offering great speakers at an excellent price, but more so for his willingness to speak personally with his customers. His advice was a big help in getting this done right the first time.

Lee
post #3349 of 3451 Old 07-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Here's a short YouTube clip of the new theater in action. This is 6 Triton Ones and SuperCenter XXL, with 2 JL Audio F113 Subwoofers, fed by an Oppo 105D and Krell electronics.

Lee

post #3350 of 3451 Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Here's a short YouTube clip of the new theater in action. This is 6 Triton Ones and SuperCenter XXL, with 2 JL Audio F113 Subwoofers, fed by an Oppo 105D and Krell electronics.

https://youtu.be/NfTMXiEJtOg

Lee
Awesome video! If it's not too much trouble can you take a pic of your T1s on the side and rear? I've seen your front set up and I bet everything sounds incredible.
rustolemite likes this.
post #3351 of 3451 Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Curious about anyone else and their Triton 5 experiences. I am totally loving mine in the two months I've had them. Anyone else?

Thinking of upgrading my 15 year old Rotel 5x100w amp to something with more power. Looking at the new Rotel RB-1582 mkII and a Parasound Halo A21. Thoughts from anyone?

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
post #3352 of 3451 Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Currently looking at on-wall speakers for my home theater (pic attached) and curious whether anyone uses the SuperSat 50 or 60 with an SVS PC-2000 sub and whether they play nice together? Also, anyone use the SuperSat 50/60 as surrounds with a SuperCenter X?

I'm just beginning my on-wall speaker research and I'm very intrigued by the SuperSat 50 and 60 because of the high velocity ribbon tweeter and great price point. Other on-wall speakers I'm considering are the DefTech Mythos XTR 50 or 60, Martin Logan XL4 and PSB Imagine W1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SVS PC-2000.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	821242  

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #3353 of 3451 Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I think I've covered this thread sufficiently to say that I haven't seen this addressed yet...but apologies if the horse has been beaten.

OK, so we know Sandy used 7000s as the heights for the ATMOS demo at CEDIA. BUT, everything I read about them (in the owner's manual and on the GE website) says that their purpose is to replicate the ear-level sound that would come from a wall-mount or floor-stander. When I dig into the GE website (on their ATMOS support page) I find the following quote: "Of course, an exception to this is that very special in-ceiling speakers, like our Invisa 7000s that do an excellent job of ear level imaging, can actually work well in these roles, as they project the sound image in such a way to appear to becoming from in front, not from above, with proper setup and listening distances."

I know Sandy purports that you've got to hear GEs to appreciate them, rather than rely on specs and text...but my local dealer doesn't have the Invisa line installed in their listening rooms :sadface:

The 7000s LOOK like they should work well as heights...and they got rave reviews at CEDIA...but...hmmm...Does the average home theater owner go with 7000s or 650s for heights if $ isn't an issue, and they have ear-level LCRs for the main sound stage in an OBA audio system?

THANKS!
post #3354 of 3451 Old 07-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnstownFlood View Post
I think I've covered this thread sufficiently to say that I haven't seen this addressed yet...but apologies if the horse has been beaten.

OK, so we know Sandy used 7000s as the heights for the ATMOS demo at CEDIA. BUT, everything I read about them (in the owner's manual and on the GE website) says that their purpose is to replicate the ear-level sound that would come from a wall-mount or floor-stander. When I dig into the GE website (on their ATMOS support page) I find the following quote: "Of course, an exception to this is that very special in-ceiling speakers, like our Invisa 7000s that do an excellent job of ear level imaging, can actually work well in these roles, as they project the sound image in such a way to appear to becoming from in front, not from above, with proper setup and listening distances."

I know Sandy purports that you've got to hear GEs to appreciate them, rather than rely on specs and text...but my local dealer doesn't have the Invisa line installed in their listening rooms :sadface:

The 7000s LOOK like they should work well as heights...and they got rave reviews at CEDIA...but...hmmm...Does the average home theater owner go with 7000s or 650s for heights if $ isn't an issue, and they have ear-level LCRs for the main sound stage in an OBA audio system?

THANKS!
I have 4 HTR7000s installed in the ceiling of my theater, but cannot comment on them until I get my ATMOS-capable processor late this year. I talked at length with Sandy about the options, and he strongly preferred these. The CEDIA reviews support these feelings, as do comments from my local dealer.

Lee

post #3355 of 3451 Old 07-11-2015, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I have 4 HTR7000s installed in the ceiling of my theater, but cannot comment on them until I get my ATMOS-capable processor late this year. I talked at length with Sandy about the options, and he strongly preferred these. The CEDIA reviews support these feelings, as do comments from my local dealer.

Lee
Awesome, thank you for the reply! I guess I'm lucky that my build is going to wrap up right when the DTS:X processors hit the market...don't know if I'd be able to hold out if I were you, with those speakers just sitting up there waiting for a purpose!
post #3356 of 3451 Old 07-11-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Is it possible to see polar plots or off axis graphs of the HTR7000's?

I auditioned four 7000's in ceiling used for Atmos.......dealer was kind enough adjusting system with four 7000's outputting material. Sitting in the sweet spot smack dab at intersection of all four speakers was wonderful.......imaging, sound quality was exceptional......but!

Move two or three feet in any direction there was definitely a drop off, suck out in HF response. I've been considering these speakers for Atmos, but dispersion IMHO was disappointing. I wished I had my SPL meter to verify, but have arranged another demo at same establishment to verify my ears with SPL meter in tow. Originally planned to bring my SPL meter, but forgot.......oops! .
post #3357 of 3451 Old 07-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Went to listen to the Triton 5 today and my oh my these are great speakers. They had quite a bit of options at the shop and didn't hear a single one that compared to the controlled bass of the Triton. Soundstage is quite huge and does not collapse at all when I went off-axis. These were the other speakers I compared them to:

B&W CM8 S2 (mids overpowered the highs)
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 (a complete mess when playing Kanye - All of the Lights)
PSB Imagine T1 (boomy bass)
PSB Imagine T2 (much much better than T1 but highs not as crisp as Triton)

I now have to decide whether to go with the Triton 5 or 3. I am going back to the shop to listen to the 3 and see how the active sub handles. Going with Invisa for rears. Which center matches better with the 5 or 3? X or XL?
Cyclonejason93 likes this.
post #3358 of 3451 Old 07-11-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorLabs View Post
Went to listen to the Triton 5 today and my oh my these are great speakers. They had quite a bit of options at the shop and didn't hear a single one that compared to the controlled bass of the Triton. Soundstage is quite huge and does not collapse at all when I went off-axis. These were the other speakers I compared them to:

B&W CM8 S2 (mids overpowered the highs)
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 (a complete mess when playing Kanye - All of the Lights)
PSB Imagine T1 (boomy bass)
PSB Imagine T2 (much much better than T1 but highs not as crisp as Triton)

I now have to decide whether to go with the Triton 5 or 3. I am going back to the shop to listen to the 3 and see how the active sub handles. Going with Invisa for rears. Which center matches better with the 5 or 3? X or XL?
Have the Triton 5s and love them. I went with the XL, dealer recommended and several other users. I have to agree, well worth the extra money for that center. The seamless image across the front is just amazing. I preferred the 5s to the 3s for what I needed as I have a very capable sub in my REL Storm III. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you go back. I upgraded from older B&W CDM 7SEs which have been great but no contest with these Triton 5s for nearly the same price (albeit 15 years apart).

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
post #3359 of 3451 Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
Have the Triton 5s and love them. I went with the XL, dealer recommended and several other users. I have to agree, well worth the extra money for that center. The seamless image across the front is just amazing. I preferred the 5s to the 3s for what I needed as I have a very capable sub in my REL Storm III. Look forward to hearing your thoughts when you go back. I upgraded from older B&W CDM 7SEs which have been great but no contest with these Triton 5s for nearly the same price (albeit 15 years apart).
Yeah I think the 3 might not be worth it as I will be running 2x SVS SB2000 for movies. The bass was so controlled on the 5 that I can't see the 3's blowing them away.
post #3360 of 3451 Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Supercenter XL minimum distance fom wall

Iam considering getting a system for my small room (12 x 12) with triton 7s in front and the supercenter xl. The manual suggests a minimum distance from the wall of 8 inches. Thats too much for my room. I wonder if anyone has gotten clean richly voiced dialoguewith a smaller distance from the wall. Hopefully around 4 inches. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers