GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 113 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 230Likes

post #3361 of 3387 Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Is it possible to see polar plots or off axis graphs of the HTR7000's?

I auditioned four 7000's in ceiling used for Atmos.......dealer was kind enough adjusting system with four 7000's outputting material. Sitting in the sweet spot smack dab at intersection of all four speakers was wonderful.......imaging, sound quality was exceptional......but!

Move two or three feet in any direction there was definitely a drop off, suck out in HF response. I've been considering these speakers for Atmos, but dispersion IMHO was disappointing. I wished I had my SPL meter to verify, but have arranged another demo at same establishment to verify my ears with SPL meter in tow. Originally planned to bring my SPL meter, but forgot.......oops! .
Still hoping to get fore-mentioned question answered by Goldenear Tech...........

I'm hoping to garner information as an informed consumer for purchasing Atmos ceiling speakers. Only speaker manufacturer where polar plots are readily available has been from Tannoy. Discussed polar plots with KEF support but was not given nor privy to specific information regarding polar plots or other such empirical data. Would be nice to see polar plots for GE HTR 7000 so an informed decision on purchase can be made. BTW, best I could do concerning KEF Ci 200rr data, was to have a fellow AVS member collect and post data................data enclosed for Ci 200rr is NOT directly from KEF.

Tannoy CMS601DC

Tannoy CMS 603 DC

KEF Ci 200rr

Would very much appreciate polar plot data on HTR 7000 or any other data detailing speakers dispersion characteristics.......................I feel such data should be readily available to consumers. Thanks..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tannoy CMS601DC.PNG
Views:	1044
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	827842   Click image for larger version

Name:	CMS 603 DC.PNG
Views:	1045
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	827850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kef Ci200rr.PNG
Views:	1075
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	827858  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3362 of 3387 Old 07-13-2015, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnew View Post
Iam considering getting a system for my small room (12 x 12) with triton 7s in front and the supercenter xl. The manual suggests a minimum distance from the wall of 8 inches. Thats too much for my room. I wonder if anyone has gotten clean richly voiced dialoguewith a smaller distance from the wall. Hopefully around 4 inches. Thanks.
Do you have a local dealer? If so, see if they'll let you audition one at your home to see if it will work well at your proposed distance from the wall. My guess (not based on experience) is that while >=8" might be optimal, 4" might still sound great. Only one way to find out!
post #3363 of 3387 Old 07-13-2015, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Do you have a local dealer? If so, see if they'll let you audition one at your home to see if it will work well at your proposed distance from the wall. My guess (not based on experience) is that while >=8" might be optimal, 4" might still sound great. Only one way to find out!
The nearest place I can demo the XL is an hour and 15 minutes away. I was hoping some other users had some experience with near wall placement.

In the home theaterhifi review, they showed pictures of it right against th wall. But they didnt say if that was the listening position.

For that matter i'm also wondering what kind of mounting/shelf / stand options people used. B/c it's pretty damn big.
post #3364 of 3387 Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I've looked into both the Datasat and Trinnov units. Dirac will soon have an outboard multichannel correction processor that will allow a user to integrate it into their own setup. I am waiting a bit before going in for mega-mega $$$ to allow the landscape to settle. There are still HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, and other new implementations which require new chipsets. From what I've heard, almost all manufacturers are experiencing growing pains with the new technology.

BTW, the Seatons are great subs!

Lee
Ive talked with Datasat and they will upgrade both the Rs20i and Ls10 atoms, hdmi 2.0, hdcp 2.2 and dts x most by the end of the year. Im in the process of purchasing the Ls10
post #3365 of 3387 Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A few of topics: finally heard the T5s along with the T7s when I was at my dealers a couple of weeks ago. I had heard the T7s before and was thoroughly impressed but the t5s made me smile really hard!

I also heard Atmos entirely with a goldenear set up and I was blown away! Blown away I said! (2) T1s, SS 60, (2) SS 50s and (4) Invisa HTR 7000 (2) SS 3s also he might have been running 2 subs as well (can't remember). My dealer was running the Marantz 8802 and the sound was simply amazing. I don't have the ability to do Atmos now but definitely an option down the road.

I finally ran audessy to set up my new SC XXL and listened through a few things over the weekend. I watched Sade and Adale in concert on Bluray as well as a few of my standard movie clips. First scene in Star Trek into darkness (lot of action and dialogue) and world war z! Simply put this speaker goes toe to toe with the T1s and and helps to make the sum greater than the parts. Voices and dialogue where crisp and not forced or strained. They play together nicely. I know my system is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it still surprises me that I can get this quality of sound in my home.

Later

Last edited by Ediddy; 07-13-2015 at 08:13 PM.
post #3366 of 3387 Old 07-14-2015, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Another triumph from Goldenear........

http://hometheaterreview.com/goldene...aker-reviewed/
post #3367 of 3387 Old 07-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Use of Invisa 7000s in Atmos System as Height Speakers

Quote:
Is it possible to see polar plots or off axis graphs of the HTR7000's?

I auditioned four 7000's in ceiling used for Atmos.......dealer was kind enough adjusting system with four 7000's outputting material. Sitting in the sweet spot smack dab at intersection of all four speakers was wonderful.......imaging, sound quality was exceptional......but!

Move two or three feet in any direction there was definitely a drop off, suck out in HF response. I've been considering these speakers for Atmos, but dispersion IMHO was disappointing. I wished I had my SPL meter to verify, but have arranged another demo at same establishment to verify my ears with SPL meter in tow. Originally planned to bring my SPL meter, but forgot.......oops! .
Hi, I don't have dispersion plots readily available. However, I think that it is important to understand why we have chosen to use 7000s as height speakers in Atmos Systems. The 7000s are clearly designed to focus the sound in the direction they are pointed in, and not provide uniform 360 degree dispersion, like the 650s, for instance. Our thought, which was clearly demonstrated at CEDIA last year, and born out in many Atmos Systems that have been installed, is that we would get a much more uniform spread of sound throughout the listening area, rather than hot-spots under each height speaker, by using 7000s. Just FYI, in a conversation with Craig Eggers from Dolby a couple of weeks ago, he told me quite clearly and unambiguously, that we had the best sounding, most effective "third party demo" (i.e., not Dolby's own demo) at CEDIA last year. It is important that you understand the height speakers as an interrelated system designed to reproduce height information as part of an Atmos System, rather than individual speakers. I'm also not sure exactly how you evaluated them, but it sounds like you were listening to them on their own (?) and perhaps with program material different than height information(?). Again, we specifically chose 7000s in order to get a more uniform spread of sound thought the listening area, and to enable listeners sitting near to underneath one of the height speakers to not have that speaker totally dominate and not hear information from all the other height speakers. To be more descriptive, as you move closer to being underneath a 7000 speaker, you are moving somewhat off axis, which helps to ameliorate the fact that you are now closer to it and more directly on axis. At the same time, you are still basically on axis of the speakers on the other side, which helps to keep things more or less balanced. So it doesn't tend to hot spot.The same thing happens when you toe speakers in. Interestingly, when I originally told Dolby my plan, they said it wouldn't work because it narrowed the sweet spot. I told them, no, quite the opposite, and proved it at CEDIA, and as I said, Dolby clearly agreed that it worked and then some. Using 7000s, oriented as we recommend, really works well in this regard, as you have already read, and will be reading more about in the future. Yes, as with any system, sitting in the sweet spot is always the best. But the 7000s do a better job for listeners not in the sweet spot, than normal downward firing in-ceilings, while still preserving specificity and location cues. All the Best, Sandy
DigitalAV likes this.

Last edited by goldenear tech; 07-14-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: left something out
post #3368 of 3387 Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I don't have dispersion plots readily available. However, I think that it is important to understand why we have chosen to use 7000s as height speakers in Atmos Systems. The 7000s are clearly designed to focus the sound in the direction they are pointed in, and not provide uniform 360 degree dispersion, like the 650s, for instance. Our thought, which was clearly demonstrated at CEDIA last year, and born out in many Atmos Systems that have been installed, is that we would get a much more uniform spread of sound throughout the listening area, rather than hot-spots under each height speaker, by using 7000s. Just FYI, in a conversation with Craig Eggers from Dolby a couple of weeks ago, he told me quite clearly and unambiguously, that we had the best sounding, most effective "third party demo" (i.e., not Dolby's own demo) at CEDIA last year. It is important that you understand the height speakers as an interrelated system designed to reproduce height information as part of an Atmos System, rather than individual speakers. I'm also not sure exactly how you evaluated them, but it sounds like you were listening to them on their own (?) and perhaps with program material different than height information(?). Again, we specifically chose 7000s in order to get a more uniform spread of sound thought the listening area, and to enable listeners sitting near to underneath one of the height speakers to not have that speaker totally dominate and not hear information from all the other height speakers. To be more descriptive, as you move closer to being underneath a 7000 speaker, you are moving somewhat off axis, which helps to ameliorate the fact that you are now closer to it and more directly on axis. At the same time, you are still basically on axis of the speakers on the other side, which helps to keep things more or less balanced. So it doesn't tend to hot spot.The same thing happens when you toe speakers in. Interestingly, when I originally told Dolby my plan, they said it wouldn't work because it narrowed the sweet spot. I told them, no, quite the opposite, and proved it at CEDIA, and as I said, Dolby clearly agreed that it worked and then some. Using 7000s, oriented as we recommend, really works well in this regard, as you have already read, and will be reading more about in the future. Yes, as with any system, sitting in the sweet spot is always the best. But the 7000s do a better job for listeners not in the sweet spot, than normal downward firing in-ceilings, while still preserving specificity and location cues. All the Best, Sandy

Thanks for the reply........HTR 7000's is a fine sounding speaker but from my experience, off axis behavior was not as wide as I was looking or hoped for. Granted, speakers were located near boundary ie wall/ceiling intersection which may account for what I was hearing. There was a definite mid to HF hole outside Mlp by two or three foot radius. Since my original intentions were to measure myself at AV storefront but since I forgot my equipment, plan is to give speaker a second chance knowing for sure dispersion characteristics through actual measurement.

Obviously, hotspotting is an issue to avoid but will not be using any in-ceiling speaker firing directly downward.........baffle will be angled to MLP......at which angle is open to questioning depending on off axis characteristics of purchased speaker.

There lies the conundrum.................without polar plots, identifying azimuth for each ceiling speaker only leaves guess and check methodology which IMHO is counterproductive or in my case impractical.

Would be nice to read polars........
post #3369 of 3387 Old 07-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
...HTR 7000's is a fine sounding speaker but from my experience, off axis behavior was not as wide as I was looking or hoped for. Granted, speakers were located near boundary ie wall/ceiling intersection which may account for what I was hearing. There was a definite mid to HF hole outside Mlp by two or three foot radius.

There lies the conundrum.................without polar plots, identifying azimuth for each ceiling speaker only leaves guess and check methodology which IMHO is counterproductive or in my case impractical.

Would be nice to read polars........
Do you really need polar plots?

Most audio enthusiasts/audiophiles use their ears to listen to speakers and purchase said speakers based on their performance, notwithstanding polar plots. That process is *hardly* guess work. And, for the more inquisitive, moving around the room is all you really need to do to determine dispersion characteristics of the tweeter of the speaker your auditioning. And if wall reflections are rubbing you the wrong way, then have the speakers moved away from the walls during your audition.

Incidentally, for what it's worth, from my experience silk domes provide the best high-frequency dispersion characteristics out there, but to each his own.

nx211

HT:
Speakers L/R - Infinity Prelude Compositions
Center - Infinity Prelude Compositions Center
Rears - Infinity Overture 1s
AVRs - NAD T773s
TVs - Sony 34XBR960/970
post #3370 of 3387 Old 07-15-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post
Do you really need polar plots?

Most audio enthusiasts/audiophiles use their ears to listen to speakers and purchase said speakers based on their performance, notwithstanding polar plots. That process is *hardly* guess work. And, for the more inquisitive, moving around the room is all you really need to do to determine dispersion characteristics of the tweeter of the speaker your auditioning. And if wall reflections are rubbing you the wrong way, then have the speakers moved away from the walls during your audition.

Incidentally, for what it's worth, from my experience silk domes provide the best high-frequency dispersion characteristics out there, but to each his own.

nx211
Yes...........I need polars. There's more to dispersion than just the tweeter...........coherence with both drivers say from 70 Hz out to 2kHz-5kHz. Almost every speaker on the planet will have major drop offs beyond those frequencies........

As far as boundary issues with demo.......I just offered a possible explanation why dispersion of 7000's was what it was........reason for auditioning again but with measurement equipment in tow.

As the late great Ronald Reagan used to say, "Trust, but verify."

BTW, ears lie, measurements don't. I have seven seats........not looking for one or two great seats, but all seven for Atmos..
llang269 likes this.
post #3371 of 3387 Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Hi Sandy,

I stopped by the Charlottesville store today and listened to the T2s and was very impressed. Bret steered me toward those because of my current Def Tech, 7 speaker system (2002TL, BPVX, SR8080P, and C/L/R2500). He also recommended the SuperCenter XL for the center. After reading some of the recent lack of enthusiastic responses here, I'm wondering if the XL will be adequate. I'm sure Bret wouldn't have a problem selling me a more expensive speaker. I recently acoustically treated my dedicated room (16x20), which made a huge difference, so the XL may well be all I need. I could apply the $450 savings to a new Atmos receiver, which would be my preference. I've added some pics so you can see my room. Thanks.

Another thought. Would the SC XXL be compatible with the 2002TLs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Room1A.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	831450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Room 1B.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	831458  

Last edited by Aliens; 07-16-2015 at 07:15 AM.
post #3372 of 3387 Old 07-15-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Hi Sandy,

I stopped by the Charlottesville store today and listened to the T2s and was very impressed. Bret steered me toward those because of my current Def Tech, 7 speaker system (2002TL, BPVX, SR8080P, and C/L/R2500). He also recommended the SuperCenter XL for the center. After reading some of the recent lack of enthusiastic responses here, I'm wondering if the XL will be adequate. I'm sure Bret wouldn't have a problem selling me a more expensive speaker. I recently acoustically treated my dedicated room (16x20), which made a huge difference, so the XL may well be all I need. I could apply the $450 savings to a new Atmos receiver, which would be my preference. I've added some pics so you can see my room. Thanks.
That's a really nice theater room. I'd think about putting up some sofit/ceiling bass absorbers and quadratic diffusers at the back first before trying out the T2s. The imaging and sound stage would be more noticeable once you do decide to switch over to the T2.

Also consider a projector + screen for that room. That TV looks kind of small for such nice room. With an audio transparent screen, one can place 3xT2s at the front and have a seamless sound stage. Might want to consider re-using the Def Tech speakers for the ceiling if you want to go down the Atmo/Auro3D/DTS:X route. Of course Sandy will be much more happier if you get his Invisa 7000 in-ceiling units instead and sell the Def Tech to help subsidize the cost.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #3373 of 3387 Old 07-16-2015, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 837
^^^
Thanks. I finished the acoustic DIY project about two months ago and thought about a couple of diffusers for the rear wall. Not sure I'll do anything with the ceiling at this time. The projector will have to wait until we buy a new home, and that may be some time because homes in our price range aren't selling, and there is an electrical panel on that right front wall that creates a big problem for a nice size screen. The stitched photos and distance make the 65" TV look smaller than it is, but like most, I always want to go bigger. I'm not sure if I'll just upgrade the 14- year old center channel, if I can find a good match, and get the new Marantz SR7010 coming out in the fall, or buy the SR7009 and do the speakers across the front. Still lots of options for me to play with so I'm not sure where I'll end up. This is the fun part. Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm sure Sandy would like me to drop $2k on 4 Invista 7000s.

Last edited by Aliens; 07-16-2015 at 02:13 AM.
post #3374 of 3387 Old 07-17-2015, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is anyone using SuperSat 60 in a 7.1 setup? (Surrounds)

I'm thinking of upgrading to a set and would like to hear some feedback before I do. How is the imaging? Soundstage, etc? Any comparisons to other surrounds you may have had...
post #3375 of 3387 Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Awesome video! If it's not too much trouble can you take a pic of your T1s on the side and rear? I've seen your front set up and I bet everything sounds incredible.
I'm having trouble getting photos from my phone onto the forum, hopefully soon. Watched Ragnarok with the boys and I think I'll have to have structural engineers check my house. I was certain the whole room was going to crumble around us. Awesome....

Lee

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2overhead speakers), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
post #3376 of 3387 Old 07-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFC View Post
I'm having trouble getting photos from my phone onto the forum, hopefully soon. Watched Ragnarok with the boys and I think I'll have to have structural engineers check my house. I was certain the whole room was going to crumble around us. Awesome....

Lee
Ragnorak? I thought my Seatons were going to shake the foundation down to the ground the other day.
post #3377 of 3387 Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdoggin
No, the SuperSat 50's (and 3's as well) don't include a wall mounting bracket. Instead they have "key holes" or slots built into them so you can hang them with screws. This method doesn't allow you to tilt or pivot them in any direction. You would have to purchase some aftermarket brackets to achieve what your looking for.

Hi!

Many thanks for the help - quite disappointed to hear that actually. Many speakers of this design type are the same - the mounting solutions just seem like an afterthought with very little options for flexibility for the end user. Most instruction guides recommend that one toes the speaker in toward the listening position (including GE) but then do not allow the products to do so! It really cannot be that hard for brands to apply mounts that allow pivoting - it is very basic stuff! Sorry Sandy, I wasn't picking just on GE but to most brands!

Bazzy!

Glad I found this post, I was thinking about buying a pair of SS50 and SS50C and this is a big requirement for me. Can anyone recommend a bracket or idea that would work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / GoldenEar SuperSat 50s / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
post #3378 of 3387 Old 07-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Pivoting Mounts for SuperSats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Glad I found this post, I was thinking about buying a pair of SS50 and SS50C and this is a big requirement for me. Can anyone recommend a bracket or idea that would work?

Hi, We have a pivoting bracket which should be available within the next 60 days. All the Best, Sandy
mbroadus likes this.
post #3379 of 3387 Old 07-22-2015, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi, We have a pivoting bracket which should be available within the next 60 days. All the Best, Sandy
So happy to hear that...thank you very much! Now I can return the Martin Logan Motion SLMs. Will these be available from the dealer or included with the SS50s? And will the bracket work for the SS50C which I plan to mount above my plasma and tilt downward to the MLP?

I know you prefer a wide audio field, do you recommend the same when hung on the wall? My current measurement to place the SS50s is 7-8 feet between L and R channels or 11" on either side of the plasma and a couple inches above the SVS PC-2000 sub which is 35" tall. The plasma sticks out 5" from the wall. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GE Soundbar.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	843002  

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / GoldenEar SuperSat 50s / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4

Last edited by mbroadus; 07-22-2015 at 05:37 AM.
post #3380 of 3387 Old 07-22-2015, 09:44 AM

New Pivoting Bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
So happy to hear that...thank you very much! Now I can return the Martin Logan Motion SLMs. Will these be available from the dealer or included with the SS50s? And will the bracket work for the SS50C which I plan to mount above my plasma and tilt downward to the MLP?

I know you prefer a wide audio field, do you recommend the same when hung on the wall? My current measurement to place the SS50s is 7-8 feet between L and R channels or 11" on either side of the plasma and a couple inches above the SVS PC-2000 sub which is 35" tall. The plasma sticks out 5" from the wall. Pic attached.
Hi, The brackets will be available from the dealers. I like speakers wide apart, whether on wall or free standing. In terms of the 50C, we recommend 2 brackets for horizontal mounting. Basically, there is a pivoting ball that locks, and a threaded rod that screws into the speaker. Large horizontal speakers like the 50s need 2 for stability. Vertically, just 1. All the Best, Sandy
post #3381 of 3387 Old 07-22-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi, The brackets will be available from the dealers. I like speakers wide apart, whether on wall or free standing. In terms of the 50C, we recommend 2 brackets for horizontal mounting. Basically, there is a pivoting ball that locks, and a threaded rod that screws into the speaker. Large horizontal speakers like the 50s need 2 for stability. Vertically, just 1. All the Best, Sandy
Many thanks Sandy!

post #3382 of 3387 Old 07-23-2015, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for Sandy:

I'm building a room (17 x 24 x 10) to house a 7.1.4 type system, don't know yet whether it will be Atmos or DTS:X.

It will definitely be a pair of Triton 1's and a SuperCenter XXL on the 17' wall.

Due to flat roof construction here in the desert, the only in-wall/in-ceiling speakers will be the sides. The ceiling speakers need to be mounted. The only location that will be a compromise is that the rears will be ceiling mounted.

Since cost is an issue I am thinking Invisa 650 for the sides and SuperSat 3's for the other 6 speakers.

My question is, if I can find more $$, which speakers would be the best to upgrade and what would you upgrade to, and in what order?

BTW, great timing on the new pivoting brackets!

Thanks!
post #3383 of 3387 Old 07-23-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys -

Another one of those, what should I build questions. Complete with diagram. I kind of have a funky setup where the room only has three walls and the rear wall is only half height (so no wall mounted speakers really, except maybe the LCR channels).

Here's the room (not exactly drawn to scale):

I currently have polk audio tower speakers flanking the entertainment center with a polk center channel sitting on top of the entertainment center, with the TV wall mounted.

Here's my question. With a room this size (13' wide x 18' deep x 10' high) what do people think I should get? This will be for music and movies. I'm leaning towards Triton 5s in the front with a Super Center XXL and two 650s / 7000s for rear speakers. I'm doing a basic 5.1 so nothing fancy.

Aside from what people think will be a good setup for a room this size:

Is the XXL overkill for a room this size or for the Triton 5? I always want the new and shiny, but the room isn't that big, so I'm worried its overkill.

My wife isn't a huge fan of the tower speakers (surprise surprise). Any thoughts on a 5.1 system made entirely with HTR 7000s? There is not a lot of room behind the couch, so I'm worried there isn't enough space to angle the 7000s to the listener from the rear. How much room do you need behind the listener to get that to sound right? Or should I just put them to the side?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited by thinkthis; 07-23-2015 at 08:41 PM.
post #3384 of 3387 Old 07-24-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

Returned the GoldenEar 3D Array sound bar and picked up LCR SuperSat 50s. Also have some ML Motion SLM and 30 center watching the festivities. The SLM were a little wide for my application but did like the fact the center fit in my cabinet. The SS50 is 1 inch to long.

My home project next weekend is to move my plasma up 5" and install a PowerBridge and run cable through the wall to hang my speakers.

Last edited by mbroadus; 07-26-2015 at 09:15 AM.
post #3385 of 3387 Old 07-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Just unboxed the Supercenter XXL. Very impressive speaker substantially bigger than the SuperCenter XL. I didn't get to run it through its paces because I was so full from Father's Day dinner. Very good first impression and I will have more detail to soon.
A question for Sandy:

I recently purchased a pair of Triton 7s and am loving them. They're in a dedicated movie room as part of a 7.1 set-up. They're used almost exclusively for home theater with a mix of movies, sports, convert videos etc. They're extremely musical, but with plenty of muscle for a bombastic movie soundtrack and I've been very happy with my purchase. While listening to concert videos on Comcast, I noticed that some sounded a step up from others quality-wise. With the difference in how an individual concert can be mastered these days, it's hard to know whether the difference was due to the source material, but I did notice that the ones that sounded better were not utilizing the center channel (4.1 vs 5.1). Now, my existing channel speaker is the highly regarded Aerial Acoustics CC3 unit, which went for $1500 when I purchased it a little over 10 years ago. However, it just doesn't seem to do as good a job with music as the Tritons. I didn't expect a good blend with the Triton 7s, with the difference in technology with the tweeters between the CC3 and the 7s, and had always planned to follow up with the purchase of a matching GE center channel speaker.

So my question is which of the GE center channel speakers provides the best level of performance with the Triton 7s? Would a SuperCenter XXL be overkill or would it be a step-up from the XL IN MY SET_UP? I fall in the school that believes the center channel is the most important speaker in a home-theater set-up and would be prepared the spend the extra over the XL IF IT PROVIDES AN IMPROVED OVERALL EXPERIENCE. I'm not considering the lowest level (SuperCenter X) at this time.

Many Thanks.
post #3386 of 3387 Old 07-26-2015, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkthis View Post
Hey guys -

Another one of those, what should I build questions. Complete with diagram. I kind of have a funky setup where the room only has three walls and the rear wall is only half height (so no wall mounted speakers really, except maybe the LCR channels).

Here's the room (not exactly drawn to scale):

I currently have polk audio tower speakers flanking the entertainment center with a polk center channel sitting on top of the entertainment center, with the TV wall mounted.

Here's my question. With a room this size (13' wide x 18' deep x 10' high) what do people think I should get? This will be for music and movies. I'm leaning towards Triton 5s in the front with a Super Center XXL and two 650s / 7000s for rear speakers. I'm doing a basic 5.1 so nothing fancy.

Aside from what people think will be a good setup for a room this size:

Is the XXL overkill for a room this size or for the Triton 5? I always want the new and shiny, but the room isn't that big, so I'm worried its overkill.

My wife isn't a huge fan of the tower speakers (surprise surprise). Any thoughts on a 5.1 system made entirely with HTR 7000s? There is not a lot of room behind the couch, so I'm worried there isn't enough space to angle the 7000s to the listener from the rear. How much room do you need behind the listener to get that to sound right? Or should I just put them to the side?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Might be interested in the Aon 3 bookshelves for all the 'ear' level speakers. The Aon 3 crossover to the sub can be set at 80Hz which is the THX recommendation. If you get the same speakers for the front sound stage, the timber match is the best that one can ask for.

Since you're room opens up to the right, the total volume is much larger than 13x18x10 (a little over 2,300 cu. ft.) mentioned in the post. Bass frequencies will "see" the entire room volume and cause standing waves. You might want to consider a pair of subs to deal with room modes and get better seat to seat consistency. A pair of GE Forcefield 5 subs with the Aon 3 would be nice match.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4) & 10x10HD, Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 07-26-2015 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo
post #3387 of 3387 Old Today, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Bought a pair of SuperSat 50s (L/R) and a 50C and I am trying to get an idea of the vertical and horizontal dispersion at a listening distance of 12 ft? My head location at 12 ft listening distance is 40 inches. The L/R 50s bottom begins at 37 inches and top is 64 with the tweeter at 51-52 inches and I'm trying to determine is this height is too high? Haven't decided whether to mount the 50C underneath or on top of the display. If I mount on top of the display angled downward, height will be 67 inches and if I mount below the display, height will be 32 inches. I'm leaning toward underneath but I have an AV cabinet 12 inches below the 50C that sticks out 19 inches so there's some concern of having audio reflections. Thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by mbroadus; Today at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers