GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 230Likes

post #3391 of 3402 Old Today, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodges View Post
I have the 3D array. And to mount it I used metal strapping and hung it from the TV mount. I covered the bottom portion of the strapping with black duct tape.That ways it was right under the TV looked great. it was way easier that trying to get two pivoting mounts at the same height.
The pivoting mounts are only going to be used on the L/R, the center will be mounted using the keyhole.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / GoldenEar SuperSat 50s / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3402 Old Today, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What SuperCenter with Triton Sevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post
A question for Sandy:

I recently purchased a pair of Triton 7s and am loving them. They're in a dedicated movie room as part of a 7.1 set-up. They're used almost exclusively for home theater with a mix of movies, sports, convert videos etc. They're extremely musical, but with plenty of muscle for a bombastic movie soundtrack and I've been very happy with my purchase. While listening to concert videos on Comcast, I noticed that some sounded a step up from others quality-wise. With the difference in how an individual concert can be mastered these days, it's hard to know whether the difference was due to the source material, but I did notice that the ones that sounded better were not utilizing the center channel (4.1 vs 5.1). Now, my existing channel speaker is the highly regarded Aerial Acoustics CC3 unit, which went for $1500 when I purchased it a little over 10 years ago. However, it just doesn't seem to do as good a job with music as the Tritons. I didn't expect a good blend with the Triton 7s, with the difference in technology with the tweeters between the CC3 and the 7s, and had always planned to follow up with the purchase of a matching GE center channel speaker.

So my question is which of the GE center channel speakers provides the best level of performance with the Triton 7s? Would a SuperCenter XXL be overkill or would it be a step-up from the XL IN MY SET_UP? I fall in the school that believes the center channel is the most important speaker in a home-theater set-up and would be prepared the spend the extra over the XL IF IT PROVIDES AN IMPROVED OVERALL EXPERIENCE. I'm not considering the lowest level (SuperCenter X) at this time.

Many Thanks.
Hi, Honestly, I think that you have answered your own question. Although normally listeners would go with the SuperCenter X or SuperCenter XL, certainly the XXL would be great with the Sevens, and not overkill. As you say, you, and many others, feel that the center is extremely critical. The XXL would outperform the others, and be worthwhile, even with the Sevens. Besides being capable of greater dynamic range, it is also more transparent. Whether it is specifically worth the difference in cost to you, is something you would have to answer for yourself. I think many here have already made that decision, and are very happy. All the Best, Sandy
post #3393 of 3402 Old Today, 11:25 AM

Ceiling Mounted Atmos Height Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah50 View Post
Question for Sandy:

I'm building a room (17 x 24 x 10) to house a 7.1.4 type system, don't know yet whether it will be Atmos or DTS:X.

It will definitely be a pair of Triton 1's and a SuperCenter XXL on the 17' wall.

Due to flat roof construction here in the desert, the only in-wall/in-ceiling speakers will be the sides. The ceiling speakers need to be mounted. The only location that will be a compromise is that the rears will be ceiling mounted.

Since cost is an issue I am thinking Invisa 650 for the sides and SuperSat 3's for the other 6 speakers.

My question is, if I can find more $$, which speakers would be the best to upgrade and what would you upgrade to, and in what order?

BTW, great timing on the new pivoting brackets!

Thanks!
Hi, Realistically, If you have to ceiling mount the height speakers (are you saying that you can't use in-walls, like the 650s or MPXs in the rear?), I think that the SuperSat 3s are really your best bet. You will cross them in a little higher than 650s (100 or 120, vs 80), but they will work very well. We regularly use SuperSat 3s as rear surrounds. You might consider MPXs, mounted vertically and at ear height, for the side surrounds. All the Best, Sandy
post #3394 of 3402 Old Today, 12:06 PM

Mounting SuperSat 50s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Bought a pair of SuperSat 50s (L/R) and a 50C and I am trying to get an idea of the vertical and horizontal dispersion at a listening distance of 12 ft? My head location at 12 ft listening distance is 40 inches. The L/R 50s bottom begins at 37 inches and top is 64 with the tweeter at 51-52 inches and I'm trying to determine is this height is too high? Haven't decided whether to mount the 50C underneath or on top of the display. If I mount on top of the display angled downward, height will be 67 inches and if I mount below the display, height will be 32 inches. I'm leaning toward underneath but I have an AV cabinet 12 inches below the 50C that sticks out 19 inches so there's some concern of having audio reflections. Thoughts? Thanks
Hi, I think at 12 ft. distance, the tweeters up around 10" should be fine. You could angle them down just a little, which may not be noticeable visually. In any event, should be fine. In terms of the mounting of the center, yes, the shelf is not ideal, and this would be true with any speaker, not just 50C. If you mount it above, which should be good. It has quite excellent vertical dispersion, but angle angle it down if you can. All the Best, Sandy
post #3395 of 3402 Old Today, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Honestly, I think that you have answered your own question. Although normally listeners would go with the SuperCenter X or SuperCenter XL, certainly the XXL would be great with the Sevens, and not overkill. As you say, you, and many others, feel that the center is extremely critical. The XXL would outperform the others, and be worthwhile, even with the Sevens. Besides being capable of greater dynamic range, it is also more transparent. Whether it is specifically worth the difference in cost to you, is something you would have to answer for yourself. I think many here have already made that decision, and are very happy. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks, Sandy. I wanted to ensure that the new XXLs wouldn't be out of place with the T7s. The size (and weight) of a XXL is roughly comparable to the T7s, and I'm hoping that using the same HFVR would allow either center channel speaker to blend seamlessly with the T7s.

My biggest issue is that my local Golden Ear dealer doesn't have any of the Supercenter speakers available for demo in their showroom, never mind my home-theater. They had pretty much the full range of Tritons on display, but none of the center channels. So right now I have no option but to purchase one of these speakers, without listening to either of my two options. It makes it very difficult to make the value judgement you mention, without a chance to compare the 2 speakers (XL vs XXL).
post #3396 of 3402 Old Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Hi, I think at 12 ft. distance, the tweeters up around 10" should be fine. You could angle them down just a little, which may not be noticeable visually. In any event, should be fine. In terms of the mounting of the center, yes, the shelf is not ideal, and this would be true with any speaker, not just 50C. If you mount it above, which should be good. It has quite excellent vertical dispersion, but angle angle it down if you can. All the Best, Sandy
Will do...thank you very much!!

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B / Marantz NR-1504 / SVS PC-2000 / GoldenEar SuperSat 50s / AppleTV 3 / Sony PS4
post #3397 of 3402 Old Today, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amps for Triton 1?

Quote:
Hi, Realistically, If you have to ceiling mount the height speakers (are you saying that you can't use in-walls, like the 650s or MPXs in the rear?), I think that the SuperSat 3s are really your best bet. You will cross them in a little higher than 650s (100 or 120, vs 80), but they will work very well. We regularly use SuperSat 3s as rear surrounds. You might consider MPXs, mounted vertically and at ear height, for the side surrounds. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks Sandy:

One more question if I may?

Since I'm combining my 2 channel with the multi-channel, I think it's time to retire my VTL 225's and go solid state. Have you heard any of the Hypex Ncore based class D amps like the NAD M22 and have an opinion on how they would be with the Triton 1's? If not, anything else that you think is really special for the 1's?

Thanks again!
post #3398 of 3402 Old Today, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hey Rah,

I am currently using 2 NAD M22 amps powering all 11 GoldenEar speakers, including my 1's. They are fantastic amps. I had Emotiva before hand and the synergy is much better with the NAD amps...to my ears.

Quote:
Thanks Sandy:

One more question if I may?

Since I'm combining my 2 channel with the multi-channel, I think it's time to retire my VTL 225's and go solid state. Have you heard any of the Hypex Ncore based class D amps like the NAD M22 and have an opinion on how they would be with the Triton 1's? If not, anything else that you think is really special for the 1's?

Thanks again!

post #3399 of 3402 Old Today, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Rah, just as Sandy has suggested, I am using 4 SuperSat 3's for my ceiling/height speakers. They are really great for their size and work perfect for Atmos. I didn't have room for the Invisa 7000s.

One tip, make sure you don't use them horizontally, use them vertically (as their intended ). I though by having them horizontal it would cover more area. Nope, complete opposite, they cover tons more area/space vertically. It was a game changer really...to my shock honestly.

Always fun to experiment.

Quote:
Question for Sandy:

I'm building a room (17 x 24 x 10) to house a 7.1.4 type system, don't know yet whether it will be Atmos or DTS:X.

It will definitely be a pair of Triton 1's and a SuperCenter XXL on the 17' wall.

Due to flat roof construction here in the desert, the only in-wall/in-ceiling speakers will be the sides. The ceiling speakers need to be mounted. The only location that will be a compromise is that the rears will be ceiling mounted.

Since cost is an issue I am thinking Invisa 650 for the sides and SuperSat 3's for the other 6 speakers.

My question is, if I can find more $$, which speakers would be the best to upgrade and what would you upgrade to, and in what order?

BTW, great timing on the new pivoting brackets!

Thanks!
Quote:

post #3400 of 3402 Old Today, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

ktoolsie, I had the XL and traded it in for the XXL. Too me, much better than the XL (no offense Sandy )

If you can, go with the XXL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoolsie View Post
Thanks, Sandy. I wanted to ensure that the new XXLs wouldn't be out of place with the T7s. The size (and weight) of a XXL is roughly comparable to the T7s, and I'm hoping that using the same HFVR would allow either center channel speaker to blend seamlessly with the T7s.

My biggest issue is that my local Golden Ear dealer doesn't have any of the Supercenter speakers available for demo in their showroom, never mind my home-theater. They had pretty much the full range of Tritons on display, but none of the center channels. So right now I have no option but to purchase one of these speakers, without listening to either of my two options. It makes it very difficult to make the value judgement you mention, without a chance to compare the 2 speakers (XL vs XXL).

post #3401 of 3402 Old Today, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Hey Rah,

I am currently using 2 NAD M22 amps powering all 11 GoldenEar speakers, including my 1's. They are fantastic amps. I had Emotiva before hand and the synergy is much better with the NAD amps...to my ears.
Good to hear Bigham16, maybe I'm on the right track. You must really have the M27, since they are 7 channels, no?

Thanks!
post #3402 of 3402 Old Today, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Rah, just as Sandy has suggested, I am using 4 SuperSat 3's for my ceiling/height speakers. They are really great for their size and work perfect for Atmos. I didn't have room for the Invisa 7000s.

One tip, make sure you don't use them horizontally, use them vertically (as their intended ). I though by having them horizontal it would cover more area. Nope, complete opposite, they cover tons more area/space vertically. It was a game changer really...to my shock honestly.

Always fun to experiment.
Thanks again Bigham16! I had to think a few minutes about what is horizontal vs vertical when mounted flat on the ceiling, lol!

I was actually thinking of using them horizontally, so they would look like an extension of the track lighting and have a better WAF. I will have to experiment though, as these will be sitting between beams which could effect the sound.

Greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers