GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 115 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 242Likes
post #3421 of 3448 Old 08-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, The material behind the grille sock is a special perforated metal. The socks can be removed for servicing, or permanently if you really want to. The tops pop off and there is a drawstring. In terms of checking for deteriorated foam surrounds- don't worry, we use butyl rubber, which will probably outlast us all. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks for your response, Sandy.

I presume the perforated metal is designed for acoustical purposes and not just stability.

Thanks for developing your product line which clearly has the best bang for the buck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3448 Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now that it's August...SuperSub XXL?
post #3423 of 3448 Old 08-17-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by epepin View Post
Now that it's August...SuperSub XXL?
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...Q3tXSZ7ixJz.97
post #3424 of 3448 Old 08-17-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hope to see (hear) at CEDIA

Mike Miles
ICR [ Sales Consulting and small Home based AV BUSINESS)
Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]
OPCSystems.com [ contract sales consultant]
Eastern Shore of Maryland
post #3425 of 3448 Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 80
A question for Sandy...i am using SS3's as Atmos speakers. I was looking at the S&V review, in particular the testing section.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures

I am trying to understand the apparent difference in the measured response of the SS3 vs the SS3C...
Obviously, the response curves are very similar, but the SS3 is at least 10 dB louder than the SS3C...if I am reading this correctly.
They are basically the same speaker with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees and their sensitivity at 92 dB is the same.
Given measurements were taken at the same input at the same distance, how can the measured response be so different?
I am sure that I am missing something. I am just trying to understand what I am looking at. It seems to me that those response curves should lie in almost on top of one another...

Atmos Dolby 5.1.4; Onkyo TX-NR 1030
Goldenear Triton Sevens; GE Supercenter X; GE Aon 2 surrounds; GE Supersat 3 (on stands) as Top Front; GE Supersat 3 (on stands) as Top Rear
SVS PB-12 Plus

Last edited by dvdwilly3; 08-18-2015 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Omitted hot link
post #3426 of 3448 Old 08-21-2015, 12:37 PM

Curious what people are using for their crossover point on Triton Fives and the Supercenter XXL, audyssey set mine to 40hz, but that seemed low, I have them at 80hz right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #3427 of 3448 Old 08-22-2015, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Curious what people are using for their crossover point on Triton Fives and the Supercenter XXL, audyssey set mine to 40hz, but that seemed low, I have them at 80hz right now.

I'm running my Triton 5s at full range ONLY because I have a REL Storm III sub that needs them full range based on how I have it connected. I played with them at 40hz and liked them there when using the RCA sub inputs. I cross my SuperCenter XL over at 60hz.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
post #3428 of 3448 Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 PM

Liked: 0
Amplifier question...

I'm sure this has been discussed here countless times, but I've been fruitless in searching the thread to find it so here it goes. I'm running Triton one towers and three Definitive Technology Mythos 10 speakers (in the process of switching over to GE) in a 5.1 configuration. I am using a Denon X4000 as my receiver to power this configuration. The Denon X4000 is rated at 125W per channel with 2cd. I'm guessing my real world power is much lower when I'm running 5cd through the receiver (50-70W maybe?).

My question is, in light of swapping out my DT center and surrounds for GE (XXL and SS30's), will upgrading my electronics to include an Emotiva XPA-7 (driven by my X4000 preouts) provide me with better sound quality? I'm not concerned about louder volumes, just better clarity and dynamics at low to mid volume levels. I do not feel my T1's are imaging as well as they should be, sounds are flat. I understand there's a raging debate and rift here on AVS regarding whether or not increasing amplifier power will increase a speaker's dynamics and sound quality. I'm not just looking at upgrading my "power" with this upgrade but the overall quality of my electronics as the X4000 is an "entry" level receiver that I'm pairing with audiophile grade T1 speakers.

I'm not able to employ room treatments in my living room where this equipment is located so I'm looking at my electronics which I consider to be the weakest link in the chain right now.

I'm looking for opinions from members that have replaced their all in one AVRs with Emotiva separates (or comparables) powering their GE speakers. Will I need to replace the X4000 entirely, would it be a bad choice to pair with an Emotiva amp as a pre/pro?

Sandy, do you have any thoughts on the impact component choices have on how your wonderful speakers perform?
Thanks for the insight.
post #3429 of 3448 Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Very good question...I too am looking to add an Emotiva or McIntosh amp to increase audio clarity and dynamics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #3430 of 3448 Old 08-23-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
Amplifier question...

I'm sure this has been discussed here countless times, but I've been fruitless in searching the thread to find it so here it goes. I'm running Triton one towers and three Definitive Technology Mythos 10 speakers (in the process of switching over to GE) in a 5.1 configuration. I am using a Denon X4000 as my receiver to power this configuration. The Denon X4000 is rated at 125W per channel with 2cd. I'm guessing my real world power is much lower when I'm running 5cd through the receiver (50-70W maybe?).

My question is, in light of swapping out my DT center and surrounds for GE (XXL and SS30's), will upgrading my electronics to include an Emotiva XPA-7 (driven by my X4000 preouts) provide me with better sound quality? I'm not concerned about louder volumes, just better clarity and dynamics at low to mid volume levels. I do not feel my T1's are imaging as well as they should be, sounds are flat. I understand there's a raging debate and rift here on AVS regarding whether or not increasing amplifier power will increase a speaker's dynamics and sound quality. I'm not just looking at upgrading my "power" with this upgrade but the overall quality of my electronics as the X4000 is an "entry" level receiver that I'm pairing with audiophile grade T1 speakers.

I'm not able to employ room treatments in my living room where this equipment is located so I'm looking at my electronics which I consider to be the weakest link in the chain right now.

I'm looking for opinions from members that have replaced their all in one AVRs with Emotiva separates (or comparables) powering their GE speakers. Will I need to replace the X4000 entirely, would it be a bad choice to pair with an Emotiva amp as a pre/pro?

Sandy, do you have any thoughts on the impact component choices have on how your wonderful speakers perform?
Thanks for the insight.
I've had Triton 2's since 2011, and have made a number of changes and upgrades over the years to my electronics. I can tell you that Tritons are the type of speakers that benefit from any improvement you make in your setup, especially for 2ch music. This means they are also really good at highlighting flaws. There are lots of philosophies about upgrading electronics, my experience with the Triton 2's is that you want to have a good DAC and good amplification. And if your interest is music, quality, hires source and clean signal chain are critical.

I have a low end Emotiva and a mid-range Rotel amp. They sound very different with the Rotel providing more detail, but the Emo supplying more warmth to vocals. Both are significantly better than the amps in my previous Anthem MRX series, but I can't tell you which I like more between the Emo and Rotel, they are just different. There are a lot of people on here with Emo XPA-x and love them. As for specific recommendation, you don't NEED to replace your x4000 entirely. I would get a good amp first and you should find that makes an improvement. Then keep an eye out for a good pre/pro for even bigger improvement. Have fun.
mbroadus likes this.
post #3431 of 3448 Old 08-24-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6 View Post
I've had Triton 2's since 2011, and have made a number of changes and upgrades over the years to my electronics. I can tell you that Tritons are the type of speakers that benefit from any improvement you make in your setup, especially for 2ch music. This means they are also really good at highlighting flaws. There are lots of philosophies about upgrading electronics, my experience with the Triton 2's is that you want to have a good DAC and good amplification. And if your interest is music, quality, hires source and clean signal chain are critical.

I have a low end Emotiva and a mid-range Rotel amp. They sound very different with the Rotel providing more detail, but the Emo supplying more warmth to vocals. Both are significantly better than the amps in my previous Anthem MRX series, but I can't tell you which I like more between the Emo and Rotel, they are just different. There are a lot of people on here with Emo XPA-x and love them. As for specific recommendation, you don't NEED to replace your x4000 entirely. I would get a good amp first and you should find that makes an improvement. Then keep an eye out for a good pre/pro for even bigger improvement. Have fun.
BCMS6,

Thank you kindly for your thoughts. I appreciate your taking the time to share your view.

Anyone else?
post #3432 of 3448 Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

OFF TOPIC: is there a thing called "speaker recommendation" ( bookshelf or floorstanding ) in relation to room size? ( just like a tv/PJ screen, with their own screen distance to sitting position recommendation .)

and can AON 3 equally produce same or better soundstage than Polk Audio RTi A5? ( bookshelf vs FS ).. ( upgrade mood )

Edit: room size is 9W x 21L x 8H (in ft.) MLP is 10-12ft from screen wall

Last edited by crazyhog; 08-24-2015 at 10:19 AM.
post #3433 of 3448 Old 08-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Subwoofer can be rated by their ability to pressurize a room. Loudspeakers I think looking at sensitivity and your available power is more than important . Obviously don't use bose cubes in a 3000sqft room.

post #3434 of 3448 Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
OFF TOPIC: is there a thing called "speaker recommendation" ( bookshelf or floorstanding ) in relation to room size? ( just like a tv/PJ screen, with their own screen distance to sitting position recommendation .)

and can AON 3 equally produce same or better soundstage than Polk Audio RTi A5? ( bookshelf vs FS ).. ( upgrade mood )

Edit: room size is 9W x 21L x 8H (in ft.) MLP is 10-12ft from screen wall
Unfortunately no, at least IMO. Speaker tastes are too individual for some sort of guide to work. The Polks you mention use a completely different tweeter technology than what you'll find in the GoldenEars, so I can pretty confidently say they'll sound different from each other. Whether you'll like the difference is up to you. As I noted earlier (and paraphrasing a WWI flying ace): Find a dealer and listen with your own ears. The rest is rubbish.
post #3435 of 3448 Old 08-24-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Difference in SuperSat 3 and 3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
A question for Sandy...i am using SS3's as Atmos speakers. I was looking at the S&V review, in particular the testing section.
http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...-labs-measures

I am trying to understand the apparent difference in the measured response of the SS3 vs the SS3C...
Obviously, the response curves are very similar, but the SS3 is at least 10 dB louder than the SS3C...if I am reading this correctly.
They are basically the same speaker with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees and their sensitivity at 92 dB is the same.
Given measurements were taken at the same input at the same distance, how can the measured response be so different?
I am sure that I am missing something. I am just trying to understand what I am looking at. It seems to me that those response curves should lie in almost on top of one another...
Hi, Normally they offset the curves by 10B for clarity, which is what you are looking at. Thanks, Sandy
post #3436 of 3448 Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Sandy, hi. Thanks for the info. I had tried to reply to your reply, but I think that it got lost somewhere.

I just wanted you to know that I had picked up a pair of Triton Sevens earlier this week.
They are exceptional.

Congratulations on such a stellar product and thank you.

Atmos Dolby 5.1.4; Onkyo TX-NR 1030
Goldenear Triton Sevens; GE Supercenter X; GE Aon 2 surrounds; GE Supersat 3 (on stands) as Top Front; GE Supersat 3 (on stands) as Top Rear
SVS PB-12 Plus

post #3437 of 3448 Old 08-28-2015, 12:34 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I am interested in the Fives. several reviews have said that they have a dark presentation, which is preferable to me compared to some of the tipped up ear bleeding speakers which I fell are unlistenable. My previous large speakers were Mirage M3s. I loved them but they had a very dark presentation and not a lot of detail and they were huge. 54" tall and 18" across the front! they dominated the room and I later went with 9" tall Mirage OMD5s and put the M3s in the garage where they got ruined by water.
So now I want to get back into a real audio system. Am I going to get more detail and air out the of the Goldenears and exactly how dark is the voicing?
post #3438 of 3448 Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
You'll need to audition them yourself. I came from a set of what I thought were overly bright speakers (Boston Acoustic VR3s), and I find the GEs to be more detailed while also being far less harsh and bright. Visually all the Tritons more or less disappear from the room they're in, a big (and not accidental) advantage to a speaker that's a lot deeper than it is wide. My wife calls them "the little black dress" of speakers, which is funny considering how big the towers can get.

Everyone's terms are different, but your priorities sound in line with what I experience with mine. Go give 'em a listen. Don't cost nothin'.
post #3439 of 3448 Old 08-28-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
I am interested in the Fives. several reviews have said that they have a dark presentation, which is preferable to me compared to some of the tipped up ear bleeding speakers which I fell are unlistenable. My previous large speakers were Mirage M3s. I loved them but they had a very dark presentation and not a lot of detail and they were huge. 54" tall and 18" across the front! they dominated the room and I later went with 9" tall Mirage OMD5s and put the M3s in the garage where they got ruined by water.
So now I want to get back into a real audio system. Am I going to get more detail and air out the of the Goldenears and exactly how dark is the voicing?
B4Z,

I have the Fives. I came from some B&W CDM7SE speakers which are not bright or harsh at all but that being said I've had some ear issues due to a virus and I'm sensitive to harsh/bright speakers for sure. I can tell you the Fives are NOT bright or harsh but yet very detailed, open and airy. I've not found any other speaker anywhere near their price that can be that detailed, dynamic and airy with the live music type sound and not get harsh. Triton Fives simply do NOT get that way at all.

Go listen. I did and was sold immediately.
rustolemite likes this.

Marantz AV7005 pre-amp, Rotel RB-985 amp, Parasound Halo A31 amp
Oppo BDP-83, Rotel RCD-970BX CD Player
GoldenEar Triton 5s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XL, B&W CCM65 surrounds
REL Storm III Subwoofer
post #3440 of 3448 Old 08-28-2015, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonejason93 View Post
B4Z,

I have the Fives. I came from some B&W CDM7SE speakers which are not bright or harsh at all but that being said I've had some ear issues due to a virus and I'm sensitive to harsh/bright speakers for sure. I can tell you the Fives are NOT bright or harsh but yet very detailed, open and airy. I've not found any other speaker anywhere near their price that can be that detailed, dynamic and airy with the live music type sound and not get harsh. Triton Fives simply do NOT get that way at all.

Go listen. I did and was sold immediately.
Seriously! I went and heard the fives and feel the exact same way. I always thought that adjectives like "airy" and "detailed" and "spacious" was just marketing hype...until I listened to them and those are the best way I can describe the difference I heard between the fives and everything else.
rustolemite likes this.
post #3441 of 3448 Old 08-28-2015, 06:47 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
tHanks guys for the feedback!!!
post #3442 of 3448 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
BCMS6,

Thank you kindly for your thoughts. I appreciate your taking the time to share your view.

Anyone else?
I have T1's and a XXL Center (currently Def Tech for Surround and Surround back, but will be upgrading for those to GE and adding 4 GE for Atmos). I'm using Emotiva XPA- 2 for the T1's and XPA-5 for the center and surrounds. Planning on XPA-200s for the Atmos speakers.

I'm very happy with the Emotiva's driving the GE's. A nice upgrade compared to the B&K AV507 I previously used.

I have not A/B'ed Emotiva with any other Amps using my current setup, but I can say that from what I've experienced they pair very well.

Good luck.
post #3443 of 3448 Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Is there a recommended process for setting the GE T1's volume control?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed else where, I searched but didn't find anything specific on this topic.

My current settings have my T1's full-range with the LFE's connected (both T1's and a Rythmik FV15HP sub).

I have the volume control for both T1's and the Rythmik set to basically the midpoint and have set levels for each in my Marantz Pre-pro using an SPL meter.

I currently have Audyssey multeq turned off.

I listen to a lot of 2 channel music in pure direct mode with no LFE (and not crossover to the sub). I also watch a lot of movies with all that LFE goodness. I listen to a small amount of multi-channel music which does use the sub for LFE.

Any suggestions for the best approach to setting the volume on the T1's given that setup? Is the mid-point likely the best option? Is there a way to help ensure the right amount of bass from the T1's (especially or 2 channel music)?

Many thanks!
post #3444 of 3448 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Setting Sub Level on Triton Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn69 View Post
Is there a recommended process for setting the GE T1's volume control?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed else where, I searched but didn't find anything specific on this topic.

My current settings have my T1's full-range with the LFE's connected (both T1's and a Rythmik FV15HP sub).

I have the volume control for both T1's and the Rythmik set to basically the midpoint and have set levels for each in my Marantz Pre-pro using an SPL meter.

I currently have Audyssey multeq turned off.

I listen to a lot of 2 channel music in pure direct mode with no LFE (and not crossover to the sub). I also watch a lot of movies with all that LFE goodness. I listen to a small amount of multi-channel music which does use the sub for LFE.

Any suggestions for the best approach to setting the volume on the T1's given that setup? Is the mid-point likely the best option? Is there a way to help ensure the right amount of bass from the T1's (especially or 2 channel music)?

Many thanks!
Hi, I trust that you are enjoying your Triton Ones. It seems that you have them hooked up properly vis a vis LFE and your external sub. Based on what you are describing, you should be getting no output from the sub listening in two channel direct. In terms of setting the control on the Tritons, it really depends on your room size, positioning and personal taste.In other words, in the end, you have to do it by ear. Normally 12 o'clock is a good starting point. If one speaker is closer to a side or rear wall than the other, it may want the bass level set a little lower. I know listeners with the controls set at 10 o'clock, and others set at 2 o'clock. Again, you have to play with it and decide what is best for you. All the Best, Sandy
post #3445 of 3448 Old Today, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn69 View Post
I have T1's and a XXL Center (currently Def Tech for Surround and Surround back, but will be upgrading for those to GE and adding 4 GE for Atmos). I'm using Emotiva XPA- 2 for the T1's and XPA-5 for the center and surrounds. Planning on XPA-200s for the Atmos speakers.

I'm very happy with the Emotiva's driving the GE's. A nice upgrade compared to the B&K AV507 I previously used.

I have not A/B'ed Emotiva with any other Amps using my current setup, but I can say that from what I've experienced they pair very well.

Good luck.
Thanks Longhorn, I appreciate your sharing your experiences. Question for you, since our systems are very similar in that we are moving from Def Tech over to GE and both have the T1's, what GE surrounds do you plan to use? I'm leaning towards the SuperSat 3's. I'm currently using the Def Tech Mythos 10 as my center and surrounds, which Def Tech center did you replace and are you happy with the XXL SuperCenter? I'm waiting to demo one, my local dealer keeps selling their demo unit before I can make it in for a listen.
post #3446 of 3448 Old Today, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone used the SP-652's in a stand alone application, i.e. as the primary speaker not a surround? Impressions?
post #3447 of 3448 Unread Today, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I trust that you are enjoying your Triton Ones. It seems that you have them hooked up properly vis a vis LFE and your external sub. Based on what you are describing, you should be getting no output from the sub listening in two channel direct. In terms of setting the control on the Tritons, it really depends on your room size, positioning and personal taste.In other words, in the end, you have to do it by ear. Normally 12 o'clock is a good starting point. If one speaker is closer to a side or rear wall than the other, it may want the bass level set a little lower. I know listeners with the controls set at 10 o'clock, and others set at 2 o'clock. Again, you have to play with it and decide what is best for you. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks Sandy!

I guess I should have known there is no "magic bullet" approach and it would just be listening and some trial and error.

I am LOVING the Triton Ones and the XXL Center! They were a huge upgrade for me. (I'm just wanting to ensure that I'm getting the best from them that I can.)

It is so fantastic that you take the time to participate in this forum. Thanks again.
post #3448 of 3448 Unread Today, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks Longhorn, I appreciate your sharing your experiences. Question for you, since our systems are very similar in that we are moving from Def Tech over to GE and both have the T1's, what GE surrounds do you plan to use? I'm leaning towards the SuperSat 3's. I'm currently using the Def Tech Mythos 10 as my center and surrounds, which Def Tech center did you replace and are you happy with the XXL SuperCenter? I'm waiting to demo one, my local dealer keeps selling their demo unit before I can make it in for a listen.
I was initially leaning towards SuperSat 3's. Very much considering following the approach that Bigham16 took...
Bigham16 Home Theater

I still may go that route, but I was able to hear a really good demo at a dealer that featured Invisa HTR 7000 over head and Invisa MPX for surround (and S-back). I was very impressed with that approach and I believe that is what Sandy recommends (all else equal). So I'm currently leaning that way.

My plan is to wait until things stabilize with DTS-X and Auro 3D (in addition to more content coming out for Atmos). I'm planning on upgrading my 4 surrounds, adding 4 overhead speakers + replacing my Pre-Pro and adding 4 more channels of amplification next summer. I hope that will give me some time to save up the ~$10k that will take and at the same time will give time for pre-pro with DTS-X to be more readily available and for the "general wisdom" on speaker placement for the various technologies to materialize.

Best of luck on your setup. I'll be very interesting to hear how it goes (and see pics).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page