GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 116 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 242Likes
post #3451 of 3455 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
If a guy was looking at Triton 5's and the 3's, which is better and why?

Let your ears be the judge!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3452 of 3455 Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Coming soon...
Triton 1's, XXL center and Invisa MPX surrounds in tax free Delaware!
With respect to the MPX surrounds, are you worried about upgrading to an immersive sound field that requires unipolar surrounds?
post #3453 of 3455 Old Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just felt it was the best for the space while highlighting the capabilities of the speaker.

Mike Miles
ICR [ Sales Consulting and small Home based AV BUSINESS)
Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]
OPCSystems.com [ contract sales consultant]
Eastern Shore of Maryland
post #3454 of 3455 Old Today, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
If a guy was looking at Triton 5's and the 3's, which is better and why?
The 5s are a brand-new passive design using some tech & lessons learned from the Triton 1 & 7. The 3 is an older design that includes a powered subwoofer section. That's what different. As to which is better, like the other guy noted you'll need to go listen to find out for yourself. There could also be situations where one would be preferred over the other, like if you already have a sub (or a lot of them) that you like, or if you're space restricted and don't have room for extra subs, that sort of thing.
post #3455 of 3455 Unread Today, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool Late to the Party

I have just recently become aware of GoldenEar speakers while looking to update rear speakers for my audio/video room.

My nearest dealer is a 4 hour return trip. Initially went for a demo to listen to rear speakers. As a result I purchased the XL for centre and MPX for side rear speakers. Current front speakers are the Oskar Kithara with the original Heil tweeter. It's the tweeter that led me to GE.

The XL is the first centre channel that I have used that I can actually enjoy and live with. Tried a number of units in the past in Totem and Mirage systems and ended up selling them. Auditioned many others and gave up. I have been using a fathom centre channel for over 7 years. The XL surprisingly mates quite well with the Kitharas. I'm getting a very good on screen (110" diag) dialog/image for the first time. I had to tilt the XL up roughly 1 1/2 inches, while sitting 11 feet back.

The MPX (purchased un listened) replaces my Mirage OMR2. They are built into rectangular columns just behind the seating area (to hide wiring). Much more open, detailed and a more enveloping sound. No issue with the design not being a di-pole. It just works!

b4z - I owned the original Mirage M3 as well as the OM6 + MR2 and I find the GE to be much smoother, while detailed, open and more engaging. There is nothing dark about the T5 or T2 that I auditioned on the same visit.

What I did find was that these speakers are quite revealing of what drives them. The 2 channel demo consisting of T5, Macintosh steamer, Bryston pre-amp and Bryston 4B power amp. One of the songs we listened to was Stevie Ray Vaughan 'Tin Pan Alley' (cd rip). Very dynamic, but the steel of the guitar was almost forced and quite sharp. This would lead to me having listener fatigue. I also own this album in vinyl, sacd and cd. When we switched to my Blue Circle DAR integrated ($3500) that I brought with me, things became much more relaxed, sweet and open. Obviously not as dynamic or with as much slam (100 watts vs 300), but to me and the sales person much more enjoyable. So the lesson I learned is to make sure you listen with what you are going to use. Most expensive is not necessarily the best combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page