GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 342Likes

Old 12-07-2015, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I have an Atmos setup that is completely GE except for the rear surrounds and the subwoofer. I have migrated over several months from 5.1 to 5.1.2 to 5.1.4 to 7.1.2 to 7.1.4.

I had Aon 2s as the surrounds in my rear corners toed in toward the MLP in the 5.1.x configurations as shown in the Aon manual. Moving them up to the side surround position, I have them on the sides poined toward the MLP.

I recalled seeing something in the Aon manual that syruck me as unusal, so I went back and checked. The manual shows the Aon in a side position with drivers pointed toward the front of the room, and not the MLP.

Is that alignment intentional or is the picture an error in the manual?

I thought that I would ask rather than experimenting. I want my setup to be as Goldenear Tech intends it to be.

Atmos Dolby 7.1.4; Denon AVR-X6200W; Goldenear Triton Sevens (fronts); GE Supercenter XL; Monitor Audio Silver FX Side Surrounds; GE Aon 2 Rear Surrounds; GE Supersat 3 (on ceiling) Top Front; Denon X1200; GE Supersat 3 (on wall) Top Rear
SVS PB-12 Plus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdwilly3 View Post
Is that alignment intentional or is the picture an error in the manual?
I had wondered the same thing but just went ahead and pointed them at the MLP! I think that it is an error but would be interested to hear if it is so, as well.

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
Old 12-16-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi Charles, I am sorry for your issue with this. Honestly, we have not had a lot of issues, as most people, I think, just use Large Left and Right and No Sub, and have the LFE mixed in. As I look through the forum, I see more talk about this issue, so I have engineering looking into it. As I had mentioned to one person, you certainly have the ability to deal with it by raising the other channel levels and/or reducing the LFE level, which absolutely works fine and is not an issue, but we are looking into the LFE sensitivity. All the Best, Sandy

Sandy, I'm curious if anything ever came back from your engineering group?
Matt-Helm likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Sandy:

I have a pair of Triton 2's and SuperCenter XL .
I have the Triton 2's behind an AT screen and at as far to the sides of the 10' wide screen as they can go, while still being hidden behind the screen
On one side, I have about 2+ feet of space between the left side of the screen and the wall, should I move that speaker closer to the wall - even though it won't be behind the screen.
How much an improvement in sound will there be - Ignoring aesthetics, will this make the sound appear as if it's happening off screen ?
Old 12-16-2015, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post
I am thinking of replacing my current energy take twr/fps (fronts/center) with Triton 5's. Going with this because I have some limitations with depth. I am also considering ML 40's, SVS prime's, or aperion verus.

I would like to hear from 5 owners and find out why they chose what they did over the competition.

Thanks
Well I switched from a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s v5 to the Triton 5's and some thought I was crazy but I can tell you that the sound from the 5's is cleaner and more detailed than what I was getting from the 100's.
The 100's could go louder than the 5's at the begining but after having some break in time on them I have found they can play just as loud but most times I don't have to turn them up as much to get the sound I wanted.
Also I had the CC690 center channel and was never happy with the vocals that it produced, I have also switched to the XXL center and it is so much better and at 1/2 the size.
Also the price was good reason as well I was able to sell my 100's for almost enough to cover the cost of my GoldenEars.

VIDEO: Mitsubishi WD-92840 - Samsung BD-J7500 - Sony BDP-CX960 - HTPC -Xbox One
AUDIO: XTZ Cinema Series M6 L/C/R - Axiom QS8 Surrounds- HSU VTF-3 MK4 Sub - Marantz AV7702mkII - Emotiva XPA-5 gen2 - Blue Jean Cable Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
I got a nice bonus from work and am thinking of upgrading to a supercenter XXL. The problem is the TV will need to go on top. Sandy's gone on record that only an inch or two of free space is required by the passive radiators, but all the risers I can find seem to top out at 5.25" (whereas the XXL is 5.75"). Anybody got any recommendations for a riser? This is a 47" LCD, one of the earlier Samsung "super-thin" models. I think it's ~ 20 lbs or so.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I got a nice bonus from work and am thinking of upgrading to a supercenter XXL. The problem is the TV will need to go on top. Sandy's gone on record that only an inch or two of free space is required by the passive radiators, but all the risers I can find seem to top out at 5.25" (whereas the XXL is 5.75"). Anybody got any recommendations for a riser? This is a 47" LCD, one of the earlier Samsung "super-thin" models. I think it's ~ 20 lbs or so.
So your tv is on a cabinet with your components inside? have you thought about just making a free standing shelf and put the center in front of the cabinet?

AUDIO: XTZ Cinema Series M6 L/C/R - Axiom QS8 Surrounds- HSU VTF-3 MK4 Sub - Marantz AV7702mkII - Emotiva XPA-5 gen2 - Blue Jean Cable Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable
Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 AM

We got a new entertainment cabinet last year but didn't think through all the measurements. It's SUPER wide, but the interior cabinet space wasn't deep enough for my gear. So the gear sits to the left of the TV, which sits on the center-top of the cabinet. The top is only 19" deep, so I don't have enough space to put an XXL and the TV behind it. I don't really want to wall mount it because it'd pull the TV back probably 2 feet and be a *much* bigger job than just sourcing and placing a riser.

This was why I didn't go for an XL when I got my ones, but it was before I found out the supercenters didn't require a lot of airspace above them to work.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
We got a new entertainment cabinet last year but didn't think through all the measurements. It's SUPER wide, but the interior cabinet space wasn't deep enough for my gear. So the gear sits to the left of the TV, which sits on the center-top of the cabinet. The top is only 19" deep, so I don't have enough space to put an XXL and the TV behind it. I don't really want to wall mount it because it'd pull the TV back probably 2 feet and be a *much* bigger job than just sourcing and placing a riser.

This was why I didn't go for an XL when I got my ones, but it was before I found out the supercenters didn't require a lot of airspace above them to work.
Can you make small "spacers" and place them underneath the TV's feet so that it sits up another inch or so? Rubber mats, like the puzzle-mat types, work very well in this application.

Lee

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2overhead speakers), OPPO 105D (Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, LG 84UB9800 monitor.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:39 AM

I'm concerned the footprint of the TV would be such that any feet it wanted would be planted somewhere on the PRs. I suppose I could cobble together some kind of adapter-thingy that has a flat surface big enough for the TV but is jiggered so the feet sit on the frame of the speaker. Come to think about it, that might be an interesting accessory to offer for these speakers. Someone tell Sandy!

In my case I found a guy who makes custom risers and I've asked him for a quote. If it's reasonable I think I'll go that route.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So I'm two and a half weeks into my new Triton Ones. Just amazing. I'm coming from a pair of Emotiva Stealth 8's which are no slouch. I just can't get over how huge of a soundstage they throw. I had a audio friend over yesterday. First thing he said was..."wow that's a huge sound". My question is...since I just blew most of my budget on the Ones...I still need a center. XL or XXL...Is the XXL worth double the price? My room is 16' X 24' and I sit about 13' from the center.

Thanks

Emotiva XMC-1, GoldenEar Triton One, Airmotiv 6's, Adam powered monitors, Epik/DIY sub, Oppo DVD, Parts Express 15 sub kit, Epson 5030 projector...
Old 12-18-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 84
^^^

Yes no doubt get the XXL

My demo space is 14.5 x 26 (open concept with identical space joined by a 8' x 18' opening) with 9' ceilings.

Mike Miles
Old 12-18-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibuyguy View Post
So I'm two and a half weeks into my new Triton Ones. Just amazing. I'm coming from a pair of Emotiva Stealth 8's which are no slouch. I just can't get over how huge of a soundstage they throw. I had a audio friend over yesterday. First thing he said was..."wow that's a huge sound". My question is...since I just blew most of my budget on the Ones...I still need a center. XL or XXL...Is the XXL worth double the price? My room is 16' X 24' and I sit about 13' from the center.

Thanks
I originally bought the XL with my 5's and its a great center channel but when I heard about the XXL my dealer let me try it out and it was enough of a difference for the price. My room is 18.5 x 19.5 and I sit about same distance from my XXL. I can also say that I have had 2 different brands of center channel speakers and they were both twice the size of the XXL and neither of them were as clear or vocals as good.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Congratulations on the Sound & Vision 2015 Top Picks for the year Sandy!

Would love to find out more about this...

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...MR6rU1U9sfL.97

GoldenEar Triton Two+ Speaker System. (February/March 2016 issue, watch for our review.)
(February/March 2016) One of two new Tritons to hit the market last year (both made our list, see below), the Triton Two+ tower with its integrated powered sub ($1,750 each) is an update to the Triton Two that launched GoldenEar in 2011, and draws on advances in 2014’s Triton One flagship. It was tested in a nine-channel Atmos system with GoldenEar center, in-wall, and ceiling speakers. $7,750, goldenear.com

GoldenEar Triton Five
(May) The GoldenEar Triton Five ($999 each), which we tested as a stereo pair, is a fully passive tower that steps up in size and bass output from 2013’s value-conscious Triton Seven while staying true to the open and engaging sonic character for which all the Tritons are known. $2,000, goldenear.com
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...0vRHIC2RRi4.99
Old 12-18-2015, 07:30 AM

I would actually like to see something close to the One's without the included amps.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I would actually like to see something close to the One's without the included amps.
Fives get you fairly close to that, no?
Old 12-18-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post
Fives get you fairly close to that, no?
Yeah they sorta do but would like to see a version of the Ones without the builtin subs.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post
GoldenEar Triton Two+ Speaker System. (February/March 2016 issue, watch for our review.)
(February/March 2016) One of two new Tritons to hit the market last year (both made our list, see below), the Triton Two+ tower with its integrated powered sub ($1,750 each) is an update to the Triton Two that launched GoldenEar in 2011, and draws on advances in 2014’s Triton One flagship. It was tested in a nine-channel Atmos system with GoldenEar center, in-wall, and ceiling speakers. $7,750, goldenear.com
Awesome!! I was really hoping that the Triton Two would get a refresh - looks like my prayers were answered. Hopefully Sandy can give us a sneak peak .
Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What is considered the perfect distance to be sitting from an HTR 7000 used as a center speaker so the sound is at ear level and not too high or low? I am planning to use my Polk RT3000p's as my front left and rights and the HTR 7000 as the center. Will my sound stage be whacked? I don't have an ideal place for the center since I will be using a huge projection screen and I don't want an acoustically transparent screen. Would I be better off with no center? I could envision that the front left and right will be much further away than the center to have them all sound at ear level (I can't move the left and right but I can move the center).

Also, what is the perfect distance for Atmos heights with the HTR 7000's so they sound like they are coming from the perfect spot above you instead of coming from ear level. I am thinking about Invisa 650's instead for the heights and I imagine the Invisa's need to be mounted closer to the MLP than the 7000's for the perfect spot since they aren't facing the listener.

I know there are guidelines with ranges, but the speakers have a fixed angle when mounted and there should be an exact perfect spot and after that it starts to be less than perfect but still good.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2015, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
About a year ago I purchased 4 Supersat 3's and a SS 50 as my center. Couldn't be happier. They sound awesome (and i am not using that great of a receiver) and look great as well (they just have that heavy high quality look).

So, anyone on the fence...don't hesitate. Hell of a product Sandy and team put out.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

On he GE web site go to SUPPORT then click DOLBY ATMOS

There is some good info regarding layouts. I would prefer to see some suggested distance but it's a good start.

HTR7000 has the advantage of the angled basket but the INVISA 650 can be a reduced cost option subject to its dispersion pattern. Maybe Sandy can chime in.

Mike Miles
Old 12-19-2015, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for the dupe

Mike Miles
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Can you spot the Invisa surrounds?

Thanks again Sandy...they sound great already!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151222_2991.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	1137330  
thorr, Steve609, nevea2be and 3 others like this.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice theater! For those who have been helping me, thanks! I wanted to give an update that I decided to put the theater in one of the bedrooms instead. It will be smaller, but much better overall because it will be a dedicated room and I can do what I want instead of having to make it work in the main living/dining room. The room is 10.33 x 13.83 ft in the main area and the projector can go farther back into the closet area.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2nrlx5j.png

I am planning to use my existing Polk RT3000P', CS1000P and Paradigm Servo 15 sub up front. Two MPX's for the side surrounds. One MPX for the back surround. Four 650's for the Atmos. It will end up being 6.1.4. Hopefully that is fully supported since it isn't 7.1.4 (there is only room for one in the back center of the room).

I am also planning to put in bass traps and other panels to control the reflections and absorb some of the sound. There is a window at the front of the room that I plan to completely cover with something like this: http://www.soundaway.com/Soundproofi...am_p/15005.htm I have 8' ceilings and that stuff is 4' wide so I can cover the whole wall including the window with two rows of it. I will then mount my screen to the wall using my existing Stewart 130 material and make a nice frame for it. The screen will be between 110" and 120" diagonal depending on how big I can get it with the projector.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Triton 3, Aon 3, SuperCenter X impressions...

Long time lurker, first time poster,

Just recently picked up a pair of Triton 3s, a SuperCenter X and a pair of Aon 3s. I have a moderately sized living room measuring 13ft wide and 16ft deep with a 9 foot ceiling. I have a lower mid-range Denon AVR-1713 (5.1 with Audyssey MultEQ XT) and a 55 inch Panasonic plasma UT series, Apple TV, SONOS Connect, and a Panasonic Blu-ray player. For those of you considering any of these GoldenEar models, I thought I would share my impressions.

The Triton 3 towers were on back-order so initially the Aon 3s replaced my old Yamaha satellite/subwoofer setup along with the SuperCenter X. The Aon 3s were placed on 30" Sound Anchor stands loaned to me by my dealer pending the arrival of the Triton 3s. After a few days of break-in I sat down and listened critically and was really blown away by the Aon 3s. The clear, unstrained, smooth top end was complimented by the balanced bass which was impressive given the modest size of the speakers. While the deepest bass was not there for home theater, much of it was implied in a very musical and non-bloated way. The Aon 3s will be relocated to the music room (10ft by 12ft) for stereo listening and in that space there will be little need for a subwoofer for my purposes. I could easily see the Aon 3s used for home theater paired with a sub to fill in the bottom octave.

When the Triton 3s showed up I was blown away. All of the sweet, smooth, extended high end was now accompanied by deep and powerful bass for movies but with music the bass was tuneful and accurate. Ron Carter's acoustic bass on, "The Complete Concert 1964: My Funny Valentine + Four and More" was articulate and musical with no sign of heaviness. I run sound for jazz trios/quartets that always use acoustic bass so I have an appreciation for what a real acoustic bass sounds like in a room. The Triton 3s deliver the goods with no embellishments. The Tritons also turned out to be super easy to drive with my modest Denon receiver. With the powered bass subsystem doing the heavy lifting, complex musical passages remained clear and uncongested. The Aon 3s would start to tax the Denon with well recorded big band (Dave Grusin's West Side Story) at elevated volumes. No such problem with the Triton 3s. I'm convinced the Aon 3s would have been more than up to the task with a better amplifier but the Triton 3s really took the strain off the Denon which was one of the reasons I chose the powered Triton 3 over the 5/7 (which I did audition along with the Triton 2s).

With the Aon 3s relegated to surround duties the system is impressive in its ability to present dialogue and sound effects while the soundtrack music appears in its own space. Apollo 13 (20th Anniversary re-mastered edition) shows off this ability to great effect as do Pixar's Incredibles and Ratatouille which feature beautifully recorded scores.

A final thought on the HVFR tweeter; as a jazz fan I listen to more than my fair share of trumpet. With most tweeters, trumpet can quickly become fatiguing but the GoldenEar HVFR eliminates that issue. There is no zinging and the transient response and lack of distortion make extended sessions of Wynton Marsalis possible again!!

As I mentioned, the Aon 3s are destined for the music room so I will need to replace them with either the Invisa 7000s or the 650s in the 5.1 living room set up. I understand the Invisa 7000 shares the same drivers as the Aon 3 but if anyone has had any experience with both the 650 and 7000 for surround duty I would love to know if I can save a few dollars by using the 650s. I also note that the installation instructions for both Invisas suggest placing fiberglass insulation in the space around the speakers but I'm not sure I understand exactly where it should be placed (or if I can forgo it altogether) so any clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you Sandy for the wonderful speakers (I go way back with you starting with the Polk Model 7b!) and your commitment to high quality, high value products. If I can answer any questions for my fellow forum users I am happy to do so.

Cheers,

Tim
dscottj likes this.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looking into purchasing 4 Invisa 525s for a 5.1.4 setup. Planning on adding 2 Aon 2's as Rear Speakers as well...
Old 12-28-2015, 02:34 PM

Or would it be better to use, say the SuperSat 3's as rears instead?
Old 12-28-2015, 06:33 PM

Depends on your setup. I've been very pleased with my SS3's as surrounds in a rig anchored by Triton 1s. I've had surround systems dating all the way back to 1988, and these guys are the first to give me a real rear acoustic image. The Aons will let you crossover a lot lower, but if you have a sub that may not matter.

If I was constrained by budget, I'd go with 3's and never look back. But Aon 2's are overkill in the right direction.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Depends on your setup. I've been very pleased with my SS3's as surrounds in a rig anchored by Triton 1s. I've had surround systems dating all the way back to 1988, and these guys are the first to give me a real rear acoustic image. The Aons will let you crossover a lot lower, but if you have a sub that may not matter.

If I was constrained by budget, I'd go with 3's and never look back. But Aon 2's are overkill in the right direction.
Thanks, I'll probably just go with the 3's then
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
Thanks, I'll probably just go with the 3's then

I'm using Aon 2's for my side surrounds and they are 'more' than sufficient!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement