GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 312Likes

post #3841 of 3862 Old 02-02-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas View Post
Does anyone know if GoldenEar offers an in home trial period of some sort, and maybe involving free shipping at least one way?
I'm looking into these as well. Really interested in the htr 7000 for Atmos but figured I'd check out the Triton as well.

What I'm finding is they only use a local retail dealer model. I don't have any dealers locally and they do not sell online. So.....can't buy these then?

Regardless of what they sound like at a demo the only sure way to know if they sound good in your space is to test them there.

Last edited by dwaleke; 02-02-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3862 Old 02-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sorry, guys, GE is pretty old school about this. Dealers only, no online sales period. You might get a dealer to agree to an in-home, but you're not getting anything straight from the factory.
post #3843 of 3862 Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Thanks John!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
Please see post #3756 . Doesn't look like they are currently working on anything.

post #3844 of 3862 Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreakit View Post
Ajax-jp

Thank you very much for the reply. Do you have it any sort of isolation pads under your center, or any batting behind it? Have you tried it on top to see if there's any sound difference?

Very nice cabinet you have there, by the way. I kind of wish my equipment would fit in a standard cabinet, but then this would be easy and that's unheard of.
I don't have my SuperCentre XL centre channel mounted on TOP of my low cabinet.
TV is on the wall centred at eye level for fatigue free viewing.
While it's never ideal to place a speaker inside a box, if you have to, the best you can do is ensure the front of the speaker is at the front edge, or preferably beyond the front edge.

For my setup - I aim the centre speaker up to point at the MLP ear level with Sorbothane vibration isolators.
I use the hemisphere isolators with the proper durometer for the frequency and mass of the speaker. I have the 1.5" hemispheres 30 durometer rated for 4-7lbs compression. I use 4 in the front of the speaker (2 spheres), 2 in the back - hemispheres.
The idea is to decouple the speaker enclosure as best as possible from the crappy cabinet it rests on to try to avoid the cabinet colouring the sound (virtually impossible).

I also double up the hemispheres to decouple my subs from the floor. I'm sure my neighbours appreciate that - 8 of the 1.5" diameter 30 durometer units per 35lb sub result in the proper compression.

Sorbothane is magnitudes better at damping than foam, or rubber.

I use them on my direct drive washing machine too. Without them the house shakes on the spin cycle - with them - almost quiet.
For the washing machine they are much stiffer to deal with the load.

FWIW - my 7's are crossed over @ 80Hz and the passive radiators near the floor are very close to boundaries (~ 6" or so). I haven't noticed any issues. Nothing that ARC couldn't take care of anyway.
post #3845 of 3862 Old 02-04-2016, 08:38 AM

Liked: 10
Incriminator -

Great info about Sorbothane, thank you. I'll be sure to check into it for other speakers and equipment as well.

I'm still experimenting with different boxes and materials around the SuperCenter XL. I've received lots of very helpful information here at AVS, I"m confident that this will work out.
post #3846 of 3862 Old 02-05-2016, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I too am interested in the XL soundbar - but was told that the Supersat 60's in F/C/R configuration would sound even better - true?

I would also be using either the Supersat 50's or 3's as rears.

But, oddly, I cannot find any professional reviews of the 60's.

From the absolute rave professional reviews the XL soundbar received - I would think the 3 60's in front would sound even better?
post #3847 of 3862 Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
I too am interested in the XL soundbar - but was told that the Supersat 60's in F/C/R configuration would sound even better - true?

I would also be using either the Supersat 50's or 3's as rears.

But, oddly, I cannot find any professional reviews of the 60's.

From the absolute rave professional reviews the XL soundbar received - I would think the 3 60's in front would sound even better?
If I had to take a guess, I'd imagine that the extra drivers in each of the 60s means they'll be able to play lower/louder than the Array. Good for larger rooms.

I think which would sound better is depending on how you'd be able to set them up.

If you are able to get the L/R SuperSats far apart (wider than the distance to your listening position) I'd imagine it would sound fantastic. If you could only mounted the SuperSats right next to your TV, the extra tech inside of the Array may help disperse the sound wider in your room and may be preferred.
hpp8140 likes this.
post #3848 of 3862 Old 02-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Sandy, I heard a rumor that you guys were working on new in-walls like the MPX but with (4) of the 4-1/2" drivers? Not trying to get the rumor mill going but would be cool if true!

post #3849 of 3862 Old 02-09-2016, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to bool
I am thinking of getting some Triton 1's or 2's. I have some Aon 3's in a small 2 channel setup. For a HT setup, do you think the Aon 3 would work as a center channel speaker with the Tritons or would it just be totally overwhelmed? Do I need to consider the Supercenter XL or XXL? I am switching my Focal Utopia Diva's out for the Tritons and maybe moving the Divas to the 2 channel setup or just sell them.

I love this stuff!
post #3850 of 3862 Old 02-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

I have four SuperSat 3's for sale if anyone is interested. Here is my Craig's list and I will ship. PM if interested and we will settle shipping.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/5420476510.html

post #3851 of 3862 Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

double post

post #3852 of 3862 Old 02-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bool View Post
I am thinking of getting some Triton 1's or 2's. I have some Aon 3's in a small 2 channel setup. For a HT setup, do you think the Aon 3 would work as a center channel speaker with the Tritons or would it just be totally overwhelmed? Do I need to consider the Supercenter XL or XXL?
It won't cost you anything to try. I at first went with a 60C for my center due to space problems, but I'm upgrading to an XXL once I have a custom riser made for my TV.
post #3853 of 3862 Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I am thinking of getting some Triton 1's or 2's. I have some Aon 3's in a small 2 channel setup. For a HT setup, do you think the Aon 3 would work as a center channel speaker with the Tritons or would it just be totally overwhelmed? Do I need to consider the Supercenter XL or XXL? I am switching my Focal Utopia Diva's out for the Tritons and maybe moving the Divas to the 2 channel setup or just sell them.
Triton 1's over the Focal Diva Utopia's?
Interesting.

Are you looking to move the Aon 3's over for centre channel work?
You could wire them in parallel as long as your amp is up to drive a 4 ohm load.
I don't see any issue with them keeping up with the 1's - up to a point.
Cross them over 80Hz or higher - they are 90dB rated efficiency with a 250 watt power handling.
Pair of Aon 3's @ 250watts per will theoretically give you around 109dB @ 8ft distance
Triton 1's are rated 92dB and up to 650 watts/channel.
Pair of Triton 1's @ 650 watts per will theoretically give you 115 dB @ 8ft distance
Single XL rated 91dB @ 250 watts will provide 107dB
Single XXL rated 91dB @ 350 watts will provide 109 dB

Source of calculations? - SPL Calculator

Based on this - pair of AON 3's ~ SINGLE XXL (109dB) < pair of Triton 1's. (115dB)

All comes down to how much juice you have to realise the SPL as well.

How loud to reference do you need to listen?
I find I'm rarely below -15dB
I'm running pretty small receiver - Anthem MRX 300
But my room is under 3500 cubic - so no real issues with volume.

Why not buy another Triton 1 for the centre channel?

Last edited by Incriminator; 02-11-2016 at 04:34 PM.
post #3854 of 3862 Old 02-11-2016, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Ion 3 as a Center Channel

Quote:
Hi, Absolutely you can use an Aon 3 as a center channel and it will sound excellent. Certainly you can start with this and I don't think you will find a need to change to the SuperCenter.You can determine then if you feel you need the greater dynamic range of the SuperCenter XXL. Cross over at 80Hz, as suggested. In terms of using two of them, I don't suggest this. Even though you will get greater dynamic range (which you probably won't need, depending on your listening), you will be getting cancellations between the two Aons. All the Best, Sandy

Last edited by goldenear tech; 02-11-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: More information
post #3855 of 3862 Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

If my receiver only has one LFE plug and I have 1 sub and triton 2s would I just use a splitter to make 3 lines to go to my sub and triton 2s from that 1 LFE plug?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3856 of 3862 Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hi

I'm looking at replacing my center speaker for a HT setup, with 120" screen. Screen is not audibly transparent.
Currently I have a 7.2.4 system in a room that is 14' x 23' with 9ft ceilings and open on one side to a 10' x 23' room

L & R are Polk RTi A9's (new)
Center is Paradigm (old cc-290 v6)
Surrounds are energy, rear and heights and polks

So as an upgrade path, I'd like to replace the paradigm center with a Supercenter XXL
Then in a year or two, move my RTI A9's to surround duty and buy T1's or T2+ (or whatever new towers GE has at that time.)

So the big question, is how terrible will a GE XXL center and Polk RTI A9 L&R sound as a soundstage?
I've lived happily with non matching LCR for years, but always with traditional tweeters. Since the supercenter uses a ribbon, will the different timbre be even more pronounced?

Any help, suggestions, or reassurance appreciated
post #3857 of 3862 Old Today, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptide15 View Post
If my receiver only has one LFE plug and I have 1 sub and triton 2s would I just use a splitter to make 3 lines to go to my sub and triton 2s from that 1 LFE plug?
It's my understanding that's exactly how it should work.
post #3858 of 3862 Old Today, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Bigger MPX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigham16 View Post
Sandy, I heard a rumor that you guys were working on new in-walls like the MPX but with (4) of the 4-1/2" drivers? Not trying to get the rumor mill going but would be cool if true!
Hi, We have discussed this, but there is no active project at this time. I am wondering, if we should make such a speaker, would you see using it as a main front in-wall speaker, or as a larger in-wall rear and/or side surround? All the Best, Sandy
post #3859 of 3862 Old Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 57
^^^ @getech - BOTH.

Mike Miles
ICR | Home based AV Business - mmiles442004@yahoo.com
Process Integration Inc. | System Integration - mmiles@processintegrationinc.com
Open Automation Software | SCADA and more mikemiles@opcsystems.com
post #3860 of 3862 Old Today, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 57
@jaremy - That is almost my exact demo space. 14'8" X 26 X 9. This opens up to space of about the same size (actually a bit larger) through a 8' (H) X 20' (W) opening joining both spaces.

Presently I use the TRITON 1, XXL center and 4 X INVISA MPX (one is cut into the kitchen island in lieu of a wall).

No problems at all. Great dispersion and soundstage. Bass is more than adequate for my taste with zero gain from the processor / preamp and level set to just under 11 o clock on the subs.

Mike Miles
ICR | Home based AV Business - mmiles442004@yahoo.com
Process Integration Inc. | System Integration - mmiles@processintegrationinc.com
Open Automation Software | SCADA and more mikemiles@opcsystems.com
post #3861 of 3862 Old Today, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, We have discussed this, but there is no active project at this time. I am wondering, if we should make such a speaker, would you see using it as a main front in-wall speaker, or as a larger in-wall rear and/or side surround? All the Best, Sandy
I personally would love to see this. I would vote for larger in-wall / side surround.
post #3862 of 3862 Old Today, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to bool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incriminator View Post
Triton 1's over the Focal Diva Utopia's?
Interesting.

Are you looking to move the Aon 3's over for centre channel work?
You could wire them in parallel as long as your amp is up to drive a 4 ohm load.
I don't see any issue with them keeping up with the 1's - up to a point.
Cross them over 80Hz or higher - they are 90dB rated efficiency with a 250 watt power handling.
Pair of Aon 3's @ 250watts per will theoretically give you around 109dB @ 8ft distance
Triton 1's are rated 92dB and up to 650 watts/channel.
Pair of Triton 1's @ 650 watts per will theoretically give you 115 dB @ 8ft distance
Single XL rated 91dB @ 250 watts will provide 107dB
Single XXL rated 91dB @ 350 watts will provide 109 dB

Source of calculations? - SPL Calculator

Based on this - pair of AON 3's ~ SINGLE XXL (109dB) < pair of Triton 1's. (115dB)

All comes down to how much juice you have to realise the SPL as well.

How loud to reference do you need to listen?
I find I'm rarely below -15dB
I'm running pretty small receiver - Anthem MRX 300
But my room is under 3500 cubic - so no real issues with volume.

Why not buy another Triton 1 for the centre channel?
Thanks for the input. We will soon find out how they compare to the Divas in my room. If I like the 1's I will most likely sell the Divas and my CC1000 Be. If not....

I love this stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers