GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 514Likes

post #3961 of 4491 Old 05-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunPin View Post
I'd like to see the Five and Seven get the + treatment with the upgraded crossover and mid driver. That's the thing that's keeping me from selecting them over Concerta2 at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fives have those improvements, the sevens do not. I have both, the fives in the HT and the sevens in the bedroom.
sunPin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4491 Old 05-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
^^^^

Keep in mind part of the "+" upgrade is the DSP for the subs.

I THINK (not tested or validated) that T5 with the SUB XXL will give the T1 a run for its money pending room size.
More than the DSP was changed for the + upgrade:

"Some specific components that were changed include new upper bass/midrange drivers, which incorporate a new cone, surround, spider and voice coil. Additionally, a completely new balanced crossover with polypropylene capacitors, similar to the one developed for the Triton One, is incorporated. Many listeners don't realize just how critical the crossover is to the sound of a loudspeaker. They often think that the drivers are the drivers, and that two speakers with the same drivers will sound basically alike. Not so... The crossover is like the conductor of an orchestra, telling each driver exactly when to come in and how loud to play. Our acoustic engineers spent countless hours trying subtle variations of crossover and DSP tuning in order to get the voicing exactly right. Additionally, the DSP low-level control unit is, in effect, new, as it has been completely reprogrammed. Sonically, both the Triton Three+ and Triton Two+ benefit from a significantly smoother, higher resolution, more open, more revealing and more highly detailed sound. In addition, there is dramatically more expansive imaging and tighter, faster, and better integrated bass. Remarkably, the Two+ ($1749 ea.) and Three+ ($1249ea.) now sonically very closely resemble the award-winning Triton One, as was our goal."
sunPin likes this.
post #3963 of 4491 Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, There is definitely a significant improvement in sound. As you read in the press release I posted in 3922, in response to your original inquiry, I go into it in some detail. But also read the review, with the link in 3921, to read what a reviewer has to say, not just my statements. The original Twos are great, the Two+ noticeably better. How significant the improvements will be for you, I can't say, but they are significant. Thanks, Sandy

Sandy, any plans to bring the + upgrades to the Five and/or Seven? Would love to see them on the passive Tritons for those of us who are more interested in relying on separate subs.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption

post #3964 of 4491 Old 05-02-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Sandy, any plans to bring the + upgrades to the Five and/or Seven? Would love to see them on the passive Tritons for those of us who are more interested in relying on separate subs.
I would suggest you ready the articles about the release of the five's. They have the improvements to the crossovers, the sevens do not.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #3965 of 4491 Old 05-02-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Austin85, I said "part" of the upgrade...

Mike Miles
post #3966 of 4491 Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Wondering if Sandy will up-date the Aon series of bookshelves with the better crossover employed in the Triton 1?

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #3967 of 4491 Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy61 View Post
I would suggest you ready the articles about the release of the five's. They have the improvements to the crossovers, the sevens do not.

Great, but they don't have the improved mid drivers with the MVPP. Wonder why not.

Legacy Audio Silhouette Pro L/C/R
DefTech ProCinema 1000 SL/SR
DefTech Supercube III
Denon AVR790
Oppo PM-3
GIK bass traps and absorption
post #3968 of 4491 Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Great, but they don't have the improved mid drivers with the MVPP. Wonder why not.
The fives use a long throw 6" woofer to produce better bass since they do not have a sub. I don't think the kids in the active speakers were designed to be long throw bass producers since there is a sub built in.
post #3969 of 4491 Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it possible to purchase the floorstanders each or are they only sold I need pairs? My plan is to use three for lcr in HT application.
Thanks,
Warlan
post #3970 of 4491 Old 05-06-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

Yes sir you can by just 1 if you like!

Mike Miles
post #3971 of 4491 Old 05-06-2016, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are looking at the powered line up I'm not sure how the subs would behave behind an AT screen or built into a baffle wall.

Mike Miles
post #3972 of 4491 Old 05-08-2016, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also depends on AT screen material, woven or perf.

Mike Miles
post #3973 of 4491 Old 05-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Also depends on AT screen material, woven or perf.
Probably going with diy spandex. Do triton speakers behave well against a wall?
post #3974 of 4491 Old 05-09-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have put them in corners about a foot from the corner angled to the MLP.

Is your AT screen a drop down?

Mike Miles
post #3975 of 4491 Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I have put them in corners about a foot from the corner angled to the MLP.

Is your AT screen a drop down?
I can either hang it or build a false wall. Currently it is on the wall.Speakers won't have to be in corners if I place behind screen but will have to be close to front wall or I will lose too much depth.
post #3976 of 4491 Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I got a nice bonus from work over the holidays and decided it was time to upgrade my center from a 60C to a SuperCenter XXL. I went with the 60C to compliment my Triton 1s because my set-up had limited space. An SC-style center would've left me with nowhere to put my TV.

Actually, I started out with the 50C, but it didn't fit in at all. The 60C was better, but not superb. Depending on the program I was watching, voices could be a little constrained (almost all blu-rays) or really quite different (the Today show was very bad about this).

So when Sandy pointed out that there didn't need to be a LOT of space over the top of an SC-style center (1" is what I remember & went with), I knew I could make an SC-style speaker work. When I got my bonus, I commissioned a custom riser from a local furniture store and let my dealer know so he'd have an XXL on hand. It turned out the furniture store was REALLY busy, so I only picked it all up yesterday.

Using a center designed after my 1s (and, I think, designed FOR them) has made for a big improvement in my 5.2 sound*. I used my one-and-only Blu-Ray audio disk, Arnesen's Magnificat, as a test and the result was very impressive. Now there is no "center," there's just a solid, seamless soundfield. I could clearly make out the words the choir was singing, and the soloist had that "standing in the room with you" quality I always read about. I'm not completely sure if it's listener bias, but there seems to be more bass, too. Dialog in TV and movies is much clearer, to the point I'm not turning it up as loud as I once did just to understand what people were saying.

I don't mean to imply the 60C was a BAD speaker. Especially after its break-in period, it worked. But I was never particularly happy with the way it integrated with my 1s. I'm much more pleased now, and am looking forward to watching all sorts of explode-y movies with the new setup. I'm also going to get serious about seeking out multi-channel audio sources, because it's very impressive with this setup.

It does make me think the whole SuperSat lineup could likely benefit from the same ".1" treatment that the Triton 2 & 3 got. But I'm not the one who gets to make those decisions.

So there ya go. If you've got a 60C as a center with Triton towers and are mulling over an upgrade, IMO the Super Center series will definitely fit the bill.

------
* CDs, the format of the vast majority of my music, I listen to in stereo.

This was helpful. I recently scored a used pair of Triton Ones, so now my Triton Two's will be up for sale. I have the 60C as a center and was thinking I would get the Super Center XXL for a future upgrade.

I'm glad you noticed a difference - I'm not surprised - it's a top-of-the-line model, not unlike the T1s sound compared to the T2s perhaps. I have found, only on rare occasion, the same issues you've had with the 60C. Like you said, it's not a bad speaker. But I'm looking forward to upgrading it at some point.
post #3977 of 4491 Old 05-16-2016, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 81
After just moving into our new house all of my HT equipment was boxed up. As a intermediate solution I unboxed my Marantz AVR and set my 2 Aon 3's on stands in my living room. I'm posting just to say how surprised I am with the Aon 3's performance. I've only ever used them as surrounds, but man they sound fantastic as stereo speakers. I'm not sure I'd even need a subwoofer with this setup because the bass is very good (for music). I haven't seen anyone do it, but a full 7 channel surround setup of all Aon 3's I'll bet would be pretty great!
murphy2112 likes this.
post #3978 of 4491 Old 05-16-2016, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
After just moving into our new house all of my HT equipment was boxed up. As a intermediate solution I unboxed my Marantz AVR and set my 2 Aon 3's on stands in my living room. I'm posting just to say how surprised I am with the Aon 3's performance. I've only ever used them as surrounds, but man they sound fantastic as stereo speakers. I'm not sure I'd even need a subwoofer with this setup because the bass is very good (for music). I haven't seen anyone do it, but a full 7 channel surround setup of all Aon 3's I'll bet would be pretty great!

I have a 5.2 setup with Aon 2 speakers for fronts and surrounds, a Supercenter X, and dual SVS SB-1000 subwoofers in the basement of my condo. I'm very happy with the sound of the system in my small media room. I use an Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Live, but I'm only using Dirac Live to correct the frequencies below 300 Hz. I use the system for both stereo and multi-channel music and also movies and tv shows. The Aon 2 speakers have excellent imaging capabilities and bass response for their size.

Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD
Oppo BDP-103 & Roku 3400M Streaming Stick
Emotiva XMC-1 Preamp/Processor & XPA-5 Gen 2 Amp
Speakers: 4 GoldenEar Aon 2 & 1 GoldenEar SuperCenter X
Subwoofers: 2 SVS SB-1000
Furman Elite-15 PFi Power Conditioner
post #3979 of 4491 Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 133
just got a great deal on slightly used triton 5's and a supercenter xxl. I sold my supercenter xl ( in 4 hours) and moved my triton 7's to surround duty. All i can say is WOW. They are a big step up from the 7's and xl for the front soundstage. I was expecting that but the biggest surprise to me was how much better the 7's are for surround than the emotiva speakers i was using. The difference really is astonishing. Do not let anyone tell you not to waste your money of full range surrounds. I just bought Dire Straits brothers in arms sacd and it is the best sound i have ever heard using 5.1 and i dont just mean in my basement. Now i am looking for another pair of 7's for rear surround duty.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Marantz AV8802a processor Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS500 projector Vivitek 1186 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R &super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #3980 of 4491 Old 05-17-2016, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
just got a great deal on slightly used triton 5's and a supercenter xxl. I sold my supercenter xl ( in 4 hours) and moved my triton 7's to surround duty. All i can say is WOW. They are a big step up from the 7's and xl for the front soundstage. I was expecting that but the biggest surprise to me was how much better the 7's are for surround than the emotiva speakers i was using. The difference really is astonishing. Do not let anyone tell you not to waste your money of full range surrounds. I just bought Dire Straits brothers in arms sacd and it is the best sound i have ever heard using 5.1 and i dont just mean in my basement. Now i am looking for another pair of 7's for rear surround duty.
This is good to know as I've been struggling with Tritons vs Aons for surround for a bit now. Thanks for sharing.
post #3981 of 4491 Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Upgrades and MVPP

Quote:
Hi, There are no current plans for + versions of the Seven and Aons. In terms of the MVPP, the Seven and Five do not have this and use a dustup because the internal bass energy and pressure is too great to incorporate the MVPP with it's opening around the pole piece. Thanks, Sandy
murphy2112 and samcro1100 like this.
post #3982 of 4491 Old 05-19-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Triton Distance to Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlan View Post
Probably going with diy spandex. Do triton speakers behave well against a wall?
Hi, One of the advantages of the built-in sub/bass section in the Tritons is that they have a volume control on the bass that lets you tune them to the room as well as to their proximity to walls. This allows them to be placed quite close to a wall, even right up against it. All the Best, Sandy
post #3983 of 4491 Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi,
I recently acquired a used pair of T2's. Will 1 or 2 UM18's play nicely with them? I was thinking cross LEF at 100hz to the T2's and 40hz to the UM18. Any thoughts on this setup?
post #3984 of 4491 Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Triton 2's For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
This was helpful. I recently scored a used pair of Triton Ones, so now my Triton Two's will be up for sale. I have the 60C as a center and was thinking I would get the Super Center XXL for a future upgrade.

I'm glad you noticed a difference - I'm not surprised - it's a top-of-the-line model, not unlike the T1s sound compared to the T2s perhaps. I have found, only on rare occasion, the same issues you've had with the 60C. Like you said, it's not a bad speaker. But I'm looking forward to upgrading it at some point.
I am in the market for some 2's. Can we talk?
post #3985 of 4491 Old 05-24-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 133
This is question is directed at Sandy but i would welcome any input from others that may have info. I am thinking about swapping out my 4 emotiva erd-1 speakers that i currently have mounted on my drop ceiling for atmos. I have a rather low ceiling (7ft) and the emotiva speakers have been great but i want to match my other speakers. I wanted to know what would be better, the super 3 speakers or the invisa 650 inceiling speakers. I can angle the supersats towards the listening position so that is not a factor. All things being equal i would prefer mounting on ceiling as not to have noise going above to the main house. I am primarily wondering which would have better imaging as well as more dynamics.

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Marantz AV8802a processor Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS500 projector Vivitek 1186 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R &super center XXL triton 7's sides Martin logan motion 12 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
post #3986 of 4491 Old 05-24-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hello all,
Does anybody on this thread have an Anthem MRX AVR paired with there tritons? I am interested on how the Anthem calculated by Arc2 sounds with these speakers. I am considering purchasing a pair of 5,s. I would use these with my Rytmik 12SE.

Regards,
Jeff
post #3987 of 4491 Old 05-24-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello all,
Does anybody on this thread have an Anthem MRX AVR paired with there tritons? I am interested on how the Anthem calculated by Arc2 sounds with these speakers. I am considering purchasing a pair of 5,s. I would use these with my Rytmik 12SE.

Regards,
Jeff
I have Triton 5's and a MRX 510 with SVS subwoofers. It sounds really good, very balanced with good bass response. Sounds very even. What specifically are you wanting to know?
post #3988 of 4491 Old 05-24-2016, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpapsin81054 View Post
I am in the market for some 2's. Can we talk?

Certainly. PM sent.
post #3989 of 4491 Old 05-24-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Hi,

I recently acquired a used pair of T2's. Will 1 or 2 UM18's play nicely with them? I was thinking cross LEF at 100hz to the T2's and 40hz to the UM18. Any thoughts on this setup?

I had my dual Stereo Integrity 18" subs a crossed over at 80Hz with my Triton Two's. So yes, I would say they are comparable and will play nicely together. Depending on where your subs are located, you might try experimenting with LFE+MAIN and run your T2's full range. But I actually had better luck crossing them over instead. Generally speaking, you want the same crossover on both sets instead of having different crossover settings. If subs are 100, T2s at 100. If subs are 80, T2s at 80, etc.
post #3990 of 4491 Old 05-25-2016, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy61 View Post
I have Triton 5's and a MRX 510 with SVS subwoofers. It sounds really good, very balanced with good bass response. Sounds very even. What specifically are you wanting to know?
I am mostly interested in how well these speakers image and how deep and wide is the sound stage? I have read many reviews and the all mention the pin point accuracy of the instrument placement in the mix. I am also interested on how these speakers work with movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers