GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 517Likes

post #4051 of 4511 Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
Thanks Captain, for the quick and excellent response to my question about XXL center speaker clearance concern ! A followup please...I read among all of the GE discussion, a bit of grumbling (perhaps BEFORE ??? the XXL center series ?) about how GE "did not have a legitimate center speaker" of quality to really match up to its excellent towers. Just curious, is the largest center, that XXL, sufficient and pleasing to most GE tower owners out there, AND (I believe in a great center) would the biggest ( XXL center) be appropriate with the Triton 5 (L & R) ??

Thanks for responses.
I have T5s and the XXL center, works great, I even got remarks about how clear the dialog was when I switched over from my Klipsch setup.
WOLVERNOLE and murphy2112 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4511 Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Another question regarding the Triton 5...I have a seven year old Denon AVR-2310CI, with a rated 105 wpc ( 105 watts X 7, into 8 ohms ) at 0.08 THD, w/ 20-20,000 Hz. Is this going to to be roughly "moderately acceptable" power for a L&R Triton 5...plus, perhaps a Supercenter XL, OR even XXL ? I plan for bookshelf pair of surrounds (Paradigm 20 v.4) to complete 5.1 (not 7.1, nor 9.1)

Thanks for your previous excellent comments and I appreciate you gentlemen's input re this Denon 2310CI for the Triton 5 pair !
post #4053 of 4511 Old 08-09-2016, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Another question regarding the Triton 5...I have a seven year old Denon AVR-2310CI, with a rated 105 wpc ( 105 watts X 7, into 8 ohms ) at 0.08 THD, w/ 20-20,000 Hz. Is this going to to be roughly "moderately acceptable" power for a L&R Triton 5...plus, perhaps a Supercenter XL, OR even XXL ? I plan for bookshelf pair of surrounds (Paradigm 20 v.4) to complete 5.1 (not 7.1, nor 9.1)

Thanks for your previous excellent comments and I appreciate you gentlemen's input re this Denon 2310CI for the Triton 5 pair !
Absolutely. Goldenear speakers have a high sensitivity and don't require much to drive. That said, they also do reward you if you do increase power/quality.

post #4054 of 4511 Old 08-12-2016, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question GE Triton5 (or nonpowered GE towers)owners- please comment on GE box packing quality

SIAP, but can some of you GE Triton owners (preferably non-powered towers, e.g. Triton 5) comment about the packing quality of the boxes used for speakers that GE is using? I may be in a position to have some GE towers sent Fed Ex a considerable distance to me and I have heard differing stories about various speaker companies and how packing quality varies from company to company. So I suppose I am asking if you found GE to use substantive packing material (e.g. large volume of styrophome and bubble wrap, etc.) Thanks for your input !
post #4055 of 4511 Old 08-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
SIAP, but can some of you GE Triton owners (preferably non-powered towers, e.g. Triton 5) comment about the packing quality of the boxes used for speakers that GE is using? I may be in a position to have some GE towers sent Fed Ex a considerable distance to me and I have heard differing stories about various speaker companies and how packing quality varies from company to company. So I suppose I am asking if you found GE to use substantive packing material (e.g. large volume of styrophome and bubble wrap, etc.) Thanks for your input !
They are packaged very, very securely and double boxed. All my GE speakers were shipped to me, in Panama.

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #4056 of 4511 Old 08-13-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Packaged, they're like tanks. 20lbs extra for my 1s, each!
WOLVERNOLE and captainbrent like this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4057 of 4511 Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the great responses on this. You folks are A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
They are packaged very, very securely and double boxed. All my GE speakers were shipped to me, in Panama.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Packaged, they're like tanks. 20lbs extra for my 1s, each!
Thank you so much re your recent response. This is indeed encouraging. Fed Ex can do some horrendous things to good packaging, so the more secure "scientific" packaging, the better, gentlemen. Hey, I understand that one can now get a 4-year degree in packaging science. Very cool !
post #4058 of 4511 Old 08-13-2016, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 220
T1 and T2+ are packed very well, double boxed with full foam surround coffin.

The T5 is double boxed but not the full coffin but still padded well.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Mike Miles
post #4059 of 4511 Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
I have T5s and the XXL center, works great, I even got remarks about how clear the dialog was when I switched over from my Klipsch setup.
I have the same and that center channel is clear!!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #4060 of 4511 Old 08-14-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
Any of you guys hear about the new reference line that GoldenEar is working on? It's supposed to employ a powered woofer section similar to the Triton, but be a more premium speaker (including the looks/finish) and not go under the Triton product line.
Never heard this before but interested. Any more info?
post #4061 of 4511 Old 08-14-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

I was told by rep that it is only a rumor.

Mike Miles
post #4062 of 4511 Old 08-14-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
The SuperCenter XXL matches up fantastically with the T1's so I imagine it would perform just as well with the T5s.
I use the XXL with my Triton Ones and feel it's a good match. I have another system downstairs with B&W 801Ds and the HTM1D center, and do not feel that the XXL is a poor performer in comparison at 1/6 of the price.

Lee
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

GoldenEar Triton One speakers (6, for front, side surround, and rear surround), GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL center channel, GoldenEar HTR7000 overhead speakers (4), JL Audio F113 x 2 (subwoofers), Krell Foundation pre-pro, Krell EV403 (front 3 channels), 2 x Krell S1500/4 (one for each side's 2 surround and 2 overhead speakers), OPPO 203D (4K, Blu-ray, SACD, DVD-A), Calyx Audio DAC24/192, MacMini w/ 2TB drive (server), Purist Audio interconnects & speaker cables, Sony XBR-75Z9D monitor.
post #4063 of 4511 Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I had Triton Two+ shipped from MMILES (cannot recommend him enough - extremely helpful and great to work with).

Large speakers, but packaged extremely well and zero issues.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #4064 of 4511 Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post
I had Triton Two+ shipped from MMILES (cannot recommend him enough - extremely helpful and great to work with).

Large speakers, but packaged extremely well and zero issues.
Just a followup. Glad MMILES worked well with you. My followup question is this: I assume the boxing/packaging you referenced was "Golden Ear" boxing/packaging...and that MMILES was sort of forwarding original boxing from or via Golden Ear, right?? I suppose what I am getting at, is that I might expect that SAME Golden Ear packaging via my retail shop?

Last edited by WOLVERNOLE; 08-15-2016 at 12:51 PM.
post #4065 of 4511 Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Just a followup. Glad MMILES worked well with you. My followup question is this: I assume the boxing/packaging you referenced was "Golden Ear" boxing/packaging...and that MMILES ws sort of forwarding original boxing from or via Golden Ear, right?? I guess what I am getting at, is that I might expect that SAME Golden Ear packaging via my retail shop?
Correct!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Last edited by Pelly_NV; 08-16-2016 at 06:04 AM.
post #4066 of 4511 Old 08-15-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Lemme ask you gentlemen, based on your obvious knowledge of probably not only the (in this particular case) Golden Ear Triton 5, but in various speaker companies...I currently have a 3.1 in the current summer home here in Michigan. Using some fairly well-regarded Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 (large bookshelf) two-way for my L&R, plus an oldie but fairly decent Infinity SM Video CC (21"w x 8.5"h x 9" d), and a nice SVS (sealed) 12" sub. Is it reasonable to assume that a pair of GE Triton 5 and a GE XXL center would be a noticeable "upgrade??" Those Paradigm Studio 20 have served me well for about eight years. I play 2-channel with them, in conjunction with that SVS sub filling in. Utilizing a Denon AVR-2310 CI (105wpc x 7), circa 2009.

My plan was to use the Paradigm Studio 20's for surrounds, in combination with the L/R Triton 5 and the Supercenter XXL.

Oh, again, my room is 20' long x 14' wide, plus a small dining room "attached" (making that traditional American living room/dining room "L" shape)

Last edited by WOLVERNOLE; 08-15-2016 at 01:04 PM.
post #4067 of 4511 Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Lemme ask you gentlemen, based on your obvious knowledge of probably not only the (in this particular case) Golden Ear Triton 5, but in various speaker companies...I currently have a 3.1 in the current summer home here in Michigan. Using some fairly well-regarded Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 (large bookshelf) two-way for my L&R, plus an oldie but fairly decent Infinity SM Video CC (21"w x 8.5"h x 9" d), and a nice SVS (sealed) 12" sub. Is it reasonable to assume that a pair of GE Triton 5 and a GE XXL center would be a noticeable "upgrade??" Those Paradigm Studio 20 have served me well for about eight years. I play 2-channel with them, in conjunction with that SVS sub filling in. Utilizing a Denon AVR-2310 CI (105wpc x 7), circa 2009.

My plan was to use the Paradigm Studio 20's for surrounds, in combination with the L/R Triton 5 and the Supercenter XXL.

Oh, again, my room is 20' long x 14' wide, plus a small dining room "attached" (making that traditional American living room/dining room "L" shape)
IMO, the towers will be a solid upgrade for sure, but the difference the center channel makes will absolutely shock you.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
post #4068 of 4511 Old 08-16-2016, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is it reasonable to assume that a pair of GE Triton 5 and a GE XXL center would be a noticeable "upgrade??" Those Paradigm Studio 20 have served me well for about eight years.
As always, I recommend auditioning first. The AMT tweeter design I think will guarantee they'll sound DIFFERENT from your Studio 20s. I very much like the sound, but not everyone does. Nearly ten years of material advances will probably make the rest of the speaker quite different as well.

Going from bookshelf to tower speakers is nearly always an improvement, but it seems your PS 20s are nearly as big as a conventional floorstander.

Go give 'em a listen. Won't cost nothin'!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4069 of 4511 Old 08-16-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

You guys have been extremely helpful to me. I have only listened to the Triton 2 (liked them a lot) and (I know) Martin Logan Motion 40 (sorta liked them in Best Buy but LOVED them in a home application similar to my own). So I particularly like the (ohhh, what shall I call it? Clarity, crispness? of that) folded tweeter ! And I do attribute my fondness for both the Triton 2 AND that Martin Logan Motion 40 to the tweeter style. But I am quite willing to rely on my SVS 12" sealed sub for the base, and hope for the Golden Ear Triton 5 to provide a little more than adequate mids.

Question: What is the BEST recommendation for hooking up, say 12 gauge speaker wire to the Triton 5 and my aging Denon AVR-2310CI ?? Would you guys recommend so-called banana plugs? I have been out of audio (focusing on video) for so long, that I am unaware of the best procedure nowadays. And would an AVSForum sponsor such as Blue Jean Cable be a good source to provide "banana plugs" if that is the current way to go?

Thanks again to all of you guys who have sort of guided me through this fun process, including Sandy Gross himself (wow, what a wonderful gentleman in this fascinating field !)
post #4070 of 4511 Old 08-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Banana plugs all the way for me. I did a search on Amazon and bought their best seller, never looked back. 12 gauge wire will be PLENTY unless your runs are across your house or something. If you want to support the sponsors, there's nothing wrong with that either. Go for it!

post #4071 of 4511 Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 337
^^ Good advice here.
post #4072 of 4511 Old 08-17-2016, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bare wire works too.

12 or 14 gauge is fine. I've used Liberty Wire and Cable, Belden and Carol.

Have never used the the high dollar snake oil brands.

Mike Miles
post #4073 of 4511 Old 08-17-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All, I appreciate some discussion as I am struggling with speaker decisions as I am not fully up to speed on numerous options available today. I am looking for in-ceiling speakers to be my L/C/R for my living room. In ceiling are my only option due to my room configuration. I've been looking at B&W CCM 7 series. I've since become aware of the Invisa HTR 7000. It is difficult to find discussion of these in this massive thread.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these and how they compare to other options (such as the B&W). The price difference would make the decision certainly more palatable.

Thanks!
post #4074 of 4511 Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldminer View Post
All, I appreciate some discussion as I am struggling with speaker decisions as I am not fully up to speed on numerous options available today. I am looking for in-ceiling speakers to be my L/C/R for my living room. In ceiling are my only option due to my room configuration. I've been looking at B&W CCM 7 series. I've since become aware of the Invisa HTR 7000. It is difficult to find discussion of these in this massive thread.

I'd appreciate any feedback on these and how they compare to other options (such as the B&W). The price difference would make the decision certainly more palatable.

Thanks!
The Invisa 7000 are a great choice if you are forced to go in-ceiling for your L/C/R speakers. I demoed them at a local Golden Ear dealer, and they really did give the illusion of being at ear level, and they sounded great. I was setting up an Atmos home theater and my surrounds had to be in-ceiling behind the MLP, so speakers that give the illusion of being ear-level was important to create separation from the Atmos ceiling speakers.

I ended up choosing Definitive Technology RCS III's over the Invisa 7000's for a couple of reasons - both speakers sounded great and gave a convincing illusion of being at ear level. But I have Definitive 8060's for my L/C/R and I wanted to timbre match my speakers as much as possible, and I got the RCS III's on sale for several hundred less than I could find the Invisa 7000's. I think the more expensive RCS II's are more of a direct competitor to the Invisa 7000's, but they were too big to fit between my ceiling beams.

In retrospect, I sort of wish I had chosen the Invisa 7000's. Not because the Def Tech's don't sound great - they absolutely do! (I believe Sandy Gross designed those as well when he ran Def Tech) - but because the Invisa 7000's are amiable and the Def Tech's are not. Both speakers have to be mounted between ceiling beams, so you may be limited to where you can place them in the ceiling. Because of the technology involved with these speakers, they are very narrow dispersion, so it is important to be able to aim them directly at the MLP. My RCS III's are mounted wider than the MLP, by necessity, and just moving a couple feet results in a different sound. I'm sure room correction deals with this somewhat, but the Invisa 7000's are amiable so all 3 speakers can be aimed precisely where you want. If you were going to mount your L/C/R's fairly close together and aimed at the MLP the Def Tech RCS III's or II's would be an excellent choice as they sound terrific and can be found on sale on the internet for several hundred less than the Invisa's. But if you need or want to mount your L/R's wider than the MLP, I think the Invisa's would be the better choice.

BTW, Golden Ear demoed an all-in-ceiling Dolby Atmos theater using Invisa 7000's at CEDIA last year that got rave reviews, so that is something to think about as well (though your bank account might be reduced a little). The dealer I went to didn't have the Invisa 7000 Atmos set up in his showroom, so I can't give a personal opinion on that. I don't know about the B&W speakers, but I would check to see if they are amiable for the reasons discussed above.

EDIT-The B&W's look like great speakers, but don't seem to be amiable.

Last edited by alfa1; 08-17-2016 at 12:17 PM.
post #4075 of 4511 Old 08-17-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Last year at CEDIA there many wide eyed folks shaking thier heads. "Those were in ceilings speakers?

In fact there is a well known AVSer (from the HT build threads) swore the "towers" were playing.

Mike Miles
post #4076 of 4511 Old 08-17-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the comments. The B&W are not amiable. The difference between each of my speakers will be ~4.5' and I'll be sitting about 10' away. 95% this will be for watching movies and TV at a fairly low volume. In terms of cost, the B&W are significantly more expensive so that plays into this as well. The front Goldenear speakers would be approximately $1000 cheaper by my current guess. Since I don't have a significant audio history, the brand name of the B&W does hold some appeal but that not be relevant to the final decision.
post #4077 of 4511 Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldminer View Post
Thanks for the comments. The B&W are not amiable. The difference between each of my speakers will be ~4.5' and I'll be sitting about 10' away. 95% this will be for watching movies and TV at a fairly low volume. In terms of cost, the B&W are significantly more expensive so that plays into this as well. The front Goldenear speakers would be approximately $1000 cheaper by my current guess. Since I don't have a significant audio history, the brand name of the B&W does hold some appeal but that not be relevant to the final decision.
You might be interested in the review of the Invisa 7000 by imagic (Mark Henninger) in the following thread: GoldenEar Ultimate Invisa Lifestyle Atmos System Experience

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #4078 of 4511 Old 08-19-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hello,

I was looking for a little advice from all of you & Sandy. I just upgrade my living room speakers from Def Tech Pro 800's to:

2 GoldenEar Triton Sevens
1 GoldenEar Supercenter X
2 GoldenEar SupSat 3's
and
a Forcefield 4

Just checking to see what Setting I should use for the Triton 7's (Large or Small)?
and what crossover should I use for the Supercenter X and SupSat 3's?

I ran Audyssey but it gave me different settings everytime I ran it and I'm not sure which ones I should use. I have a Onkyo and it might need to be replaced but until I decide what to replace it with I figured I would see what everyone is else is using?

Also I've been thinking about getting a Anthem MRX 520, Yamaha 1050 or Marants 5011, anyone using the Anthem? or try these units with the GoldenEars and how they Match?

Thank in advance,

Last edited by Carbo; 08-19-2016 at 01:58 PM.
post #4079 of 4511 Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
Any of you guys hear about the new reference line that GoldenEar is working on? It's supposed to employ a powered woofer section similar to the Triton, but be a more premium speaker (including the looks/finish) and not go under the Triton product line.
Now that would be awesome and a game changer.

I know there are several people, me included, that love the GoldenEar sound - but cannot stand the look of the speaker itself.

It looks like someone just put a sock, or a pair of pantyhose, over a speaker.
post #4080 of 4511 Old 08-19-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Hello,

I was looking for a little advice from all of you & Sandy. I just upgrade my living room speakers from Def Tech Pro 800's to:

2 GoldenEar Triton Sevens

1 GoldenEar Supercenter X

2 GoldenEar SupSat 3's

and

a Forcefield 4

Just checking to see what Setting I should use for the Triton 7's (Large or Small)?

and what crossover should I use for the Supercenter X and SupSat 3's?

I ran Audyssey but it gave me different settings everytime I ran it and I'm not sure which ones I should use. I have a Onkyo and it might need to be replaced but until I decide what to replace it with I figured I would see what everyone is else is using?

Also I've been thinking about getting a Anthem MRX 520, Yamaha 1050 or Marants 5011, anyone using the Anthem? or try these units with the GoldenEars and how they Match?

Thank in advance,

What were the crossover results? If they are all close to one another, you could just average them out. How loud do you like to listen and how large is your room? If small and low volume, go with the lower crossover. If large and loud, go with the higher crossover.

But for the center and SuperSats, I wouldn't go below 80Hz and 100Hz, respectively.

And I would run the 7s as small because you have a subwoofer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page