GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 374Likes
post #4081 of 4091 Unread 08-19-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Hello,

Also I've been thinking about getting a Anthem MRX 520, Yamaha 1050 or Marants 5011, anyone using the Anthem? or try these units with the GoldenEars and how they Match?

Thank in advance,

I have a Marantz SR7010 and love the way it sounds with my GE setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4091 Unread 08-19-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
What were the crossover results? If they are all close to one another, you could just average them out. How loud do you like to listen and how large is your room? If small and low volume, go with the lower crossover. If large and loud, go with the higher crossover.

But for the center and SuperSats, I wouldn't go below 80Hz and 100Hz, respectively.

And I would run the 7s as small because you have a subwoofer.
The room is large and open. The results were for the SS3's were from 100 to 150

For the 7's it was 40 and for the center it gave me 60.

I didn't think any were correct(except the SS3's I figured were close).

I was going to run the front three at 80 and was trying to see what most people ran the SS3's at. I was guessing 100, 120 or 150.
post #4083 of 4091 Unread 08-20-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
The room is large and open. The results were for the SS3's were from 100 to 150

For the 7's it was 40 and for the center it gave me 60.

I didn't think any were correct(except the SS3's I figured were close).

I was going to run the front three at 80 and was trying to see what most people ran the SS3's at. I was guessing 100, 120 or 150.

Sounds about right using 80 for the front three. Also, XO setting recommendations are on the GE website I think. You should be good to run the SS3s at 120.
post #4084 of 4091 Unread 08-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So I am contemplating a few changes with my theater speakers. Right now I have
Triton 2's
SuperCenter XL
4 Invisa MPX
4 Definitive Atmos speakers
2 18" SI HST-18 Subs

The system sounds good but I do feel like the center channel is a little hard to hear dialogue on in some cases. The room is fully acoustically treated so I don't think it's that. I still haven't run Audyssey because I am not sure what I think of it or whether it will really help or not. So I am trying to decide if it will be a noticeable difference moving up to the SuperCenter XXL for dialogue etc?? The LCR run off of an Emotiva 3 channel amp so the power is there.

I am also trying to decide if I should move up to the Triton 1's at some point. Is there a big difference in the sound vs. my Triton 2s? or is it mainly improvement in the low end which I already have more than enough with my 2 18" SI HST subs?

The center is the biggest concern right now. Thanks.

James

My theater build 2015 (Circle N theater)
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #4085 of 4091 Unread 08-25-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro28 View Post

Triton 2's

SuperCenter XL

4 Invisa MPX

2 18" SI HST-18 Subs

The system sounds good but I do feel like the center channel is a little hard to hear dialogue on in some cases. The room is fully acoustically treated so I don't think it's that. I still haven't run Audyssey because I am not sure what I think of it or whether it will really help or not. So I am trying to decide if it will be a noticeable difference moving up to the SuperCenter XXL for dialogue etc?? The LCR run off of an Emotiva 3 channel amp so the power is there.

I am also trying to decide if I should move up to the Triton 1's at some point. Is there a big difference in the sound vs. my Triton 2s? or is it mainly improvement in the low end which I already have more than enough with my 2 18" SI HST subs?

I would check the levels for the center and consider boosting a bit. If you hear distortion or think you are overdriving it, a better center might be needed.

I have a SuperCenter 60C and have noticed the need to adjust the center levels up due to differences in what I believe are differing source material levels. A better center will be better, but no guarantee that it will be louder, unless voicing has changed (has it?).

I say "voicing," because I believe that's one of the biggest differences between the T2s and T1s. I had the original T2s and now have T1s, and the sound is quite different in the midrange, in my opinion, between the two. The T2s are a bit softer and sweeter, while the T1s are more direct. I almost keep the T2s, but then eventually felt better overall about the T1s, considering that the T1s are also still sweet, but can also be more serious for the more critical stuff.

So I would see if you could listen to both and then decide. But also check those center levels.
post #4086 of 4091 Unread 08-25-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 95
^^^

The T2+ is the star of the show and best value in n the Triton series in my very humble opinion.

Mike Miles
post #4087 of 4091 Unread 08-26-2016, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Triton 2's
SuperCenter XL
4 Invisa MPX
2 18" SI HST-18 Subs

I have the SuperCenter XL and do not feel the need to update, as it is more than sufficient, for my setup. You've mentioned that you have not run Audyssey because you are unsure about it...but why? If you don't like it, you can just turn it off! At the very least, if you run Audyssey and either use it, or not, it will very accurately set the distances and trims, for your speakers. Considering that you have not yet run Audyssey, have you set up your speakers manually, by measuring and entering the distances and checking and adjusting the SPL's, using a meter or REW? That, at the least, is very important!

Cheers
Pacific Breeze likes this.

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #4088 of 4091 Unread 08-26-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
I have the SuperCenter XL and do not feel the need to update, as it is more than sufficient, for my setup. You've mentioned that you have not run Audyssey because you are unsure about it...but why? If you don't like it, you can just turn it off! At the very least, if you run Audyssey and either use it, or not, it will very accurately set the distances and trims, for your speakers. Considering that you have not yet run Audyssey, have you set up your speakers manually, by measuring and entering the distances and checking and adjusting the SPL's, using a meter or REW? That, at the least, is very important!

Cheers
Thanks. I am going to run Audyssey this weekend and see how it sounds. I'm not sure why I have dragged my feet on that to this point. I think I was also worried about what it might do to my bass response, but I know I can play with that after the fact as well. I tend to like the bass a little hotter than Audyssey to set it. The system sounds really good for most things. I'm not sure my family notices the somewhat lower dialogue output, but I do on certain movies.

James

post #4089 of 4091 Unread Today, 12:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Thanks. I am going to run Audyssey this weekend and see how it sounds. I'm not sure why I have dragged my feet on that to this point. I think I was also worried about what it might do to my bass response, but I know I can play with that after the fact as well. I tend to like the bass a little hotter than Audyssey to set it. The system sounds really good for most things. I'm not sure my family notices the somewhat lower dialogue output, but I do on certain movies.
Give it a try as it may, or may not, be your cup of tea and although it can always be turned off, the distance and trim setting will remain. When I was using it, my preference was to bypass the front L&R, with Dynamic EQ and Volume off. Most users will bump up the sub channel by a few db's. I have since moved on to Dirac though.

Cheers

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo BDP-83 (waiting on a 4K version) | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | Vizo M65-C1 (waiting for Oled to mature a bit) | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #4090 of 4091 Unread Today, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbrent View Post
Give it a try as it may, or may not, be your cup of tea and although it can always be turned off, the distance and trim setting will remain. When I was using it, my preference was to bypass the front L&R, with Dynamic EQ and Volume off. Most users will bump up the sub channel by a few db's. I have since moved on to Dirac though.

Cheers
Ok, I ran it with all 8 measurement points. I think it does sound a little better afterwards. I haven't played a ton with it, but the center does seem to be stronger. My center is the only speaker behind the AT screen, so I'm sure it needed a boost anyway. All seems fine.....Except, it killed my bass output and my bass shakers so I had to go in and turn the LFE back up again. Now I am going to listen to some music to see if I need to bypass the L/R.

James

post #4091 of 4091 Unread Today, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ common issue. I usually recommend that anyone who runs the room correction go and reduce any external bass volume gain before running it so that you have enough headroom to bring it back up again afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers