GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 138 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 384Likes

post #4111 of 4120 Old 09-14-2016, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
I don't have HTRs, but my 7.1.4 setup has my 4 overhead speakers installed exactly 45-degrees from the main listening position. I could be wrong, but I think Dolby gives a range of 30-60 degrees for these speakers in this format. Also, since it's 7.1.4, I'm using Top Front and Top Rear, not Top Middle, for the arrangement. This setup would also agree with DTS:X format of Front Height and Rear Height.

Are you looking at doing 2 ceiling speakers or 4?
4 for tf and tr. I figure the Dolby specs are based on the speakers pointing straight down and not at a 30 degree angle like the Htr7000, so that's why I am curious as to how people accounted for it =)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 4120 Old 09-14-2016, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I use a Matantz SR7010 for my 11-channel Atmos setup and T1s in front. Love the sound. I came from Harman Kardon and then Pioneer before that.
thank you for that...Thats one I have on my list to demo. That and the new 7011. As well as some Pioneer Elites.
murphy2112 likes this.
post #4113 of 4120 Old 09-14-2016, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post
Thanks! Cool..I owned the 57 as well. It lasted the longest (maybe 5 years ? before giving it to my brother)...

Yeah I am looking at the 7s for rears. Ruling nothing out there. Mcintosh doesnt make a surround receiver and theyre AV Processor is $15,000. Cant and won't do that!

I just want a high quality receiver that will effectively and cleanly drive the XXL and rears. Thx for the Elite confirmation.
I'm running a Anthem 520. Very nice sound.
Tim Glover likes this.
post #4114 of 4120 Old 09-14-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
4 for tf and tr. I figure the Dolby specs are based on the speakers pointing straight down and not at a 30 degree angle like the Htr7000, so that's why I am curious as to how people accounted for it =)

Well, I started with my 4 ceiling speakers pointed straight down, but because the speakers I chose can also be pointed up to 30 degrees in any direction, I tried both options and found that pointing them towards the main listening position resulted in a better overall experience for Atmos.

Sandy has made the point in the past about toe-in for main speakers and I think it applies to ceilings as well: toe-in can actually widen the sweet spot as opposed to straight. If you are sitting directly in front (or under) a speaker, the toe-in from the opposite side speaker is actually pointed more your way than if it were pointed flat.

I would still go as close to 45-degrees for those 4 ceiling speakers as you can, and I think you'll still be in good shape and well within the Dolby ranges.
post #4115 of 4120 Old 09-14-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Well, I started with my 4 ceiling speakers pointed straight down, but because the speakers I chose can also be pointed up to 30 degrees in any direction, I tried both options and found that pointing them towards the main listening position resulted in a better overall experience for Atmos.

Sandy has made the point in the past about toe-in for main speakers and I think it applies to ceilings as well: toe-in can actually widen the sweet spot as opposed to straight. If you are sitting directly in front (or under) a speaker, the toe-in from the opposite side speaker is actually pointed more your way than if it were pointed flat.

I would still go as close to 45-degrees for those 4 ceiling speakers as you can, and I think you'll still be in good shape and well within the Dolby ranges.
Cool thanks for the reply, this is great info. I am thinking 2 HTR7000 in front, 2 Invisa 650 in the back. I have a second row of seating and feel like if I run 650s in the back that row will get some ambiance, but I am most concerned with the first row.
murphy2112 likes this.
post #4116 of 4120 Old 09-16-2016, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Well I purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-99...with that model being discontinued I was able to get a SCREAMING deal from the Magnolia AV in Dallas, Tx. Gobs of power and processing and since owing Elites in the past, I feel like I know what I am getting.

So when it arrives, I'll add it to the McIntosh setup and use the bypass mode. Will have fantastic 2 channel glory and surround sound too
murphy2112 likes this.
post #4117 of 4120 Old 09-20-2016, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Sandy

I'm sure your very busy with CEDIA but was curious if you have any plans to have an exhibit during the New York audio show at the park lane this November? Many thanks
post #4118 of 4120 Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Anyone using Htr7000 for their atmos ceiling speakers? Looking for feedback on how you placed the speaker with its 30 degree angle. Did you still follow Dolby guidelines for placement or did you change placement based on the 30 degree angle?

My brother's 5.2.4 set-up was done using the HTR 7000 for the .4. His room is narrow considering the 2 rows of large 3 seat recliners. The HTRs are positioned following Dolby specs (for the most part, one wall has a slight slant) with the tweeters pointed towards the side wall. This was done as per the dealer's recommendation to avoid hot spotting and to fill in the sound along the sides. There are 2 MPX speakers on the back wall as rears with no side speakers.

It sounds wonderfully spacious. I will say that sounds are less localized, for better or worse than using the other Invisa speakers. If you prefer a more subtle enveloping sound, the HTR are the perfect choice. If you prefer more discrete sounds (more sound effect-y, for lack of better description), the other Invisa speakers may be more ideal.
post #4119 of 4120 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark05 View Post
My brother's 5.2.4 set-up was done using the HTR 7000 for the .4. His room is narrow considering the 2 rows of large 3 seat recliners. The HTRs are positioned following Dolby specs (for the most part, one wall has a slight slant) with the tweeters pointed towards the side wall. This was done as per the dealer's recommendation to avoid hot spotting and to fill in the sound along the sides. There are 2 MPX speakers on the back wall as rears with no side speakers.

It sounds wonderfully spacious. I will say that sounds are less localized, for better or worse than using the other Invisa speakers. If you prefer a more subtle enveloping sound, the HTR are the perfect choice. If you prefer more discrete sounds (more sound effect-y, for lack of better description), the other Invisa speakers may be more ideal.
Thanks for the reply, thats the first I have heard of pointing towards the wall instead of the MLP. I have to make my final decision today because I will be installing them soon.
post #4120 of 4120 Old Today, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 78
New review of the Triton Five.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/gol...g-loudspeaker/

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,LG PF1500,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222,HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page