GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 555Likes

post #4141 of 4597 Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanob View Post
I've been switching my Center XXL between 60 to 80 Hz. I don't have the Aons, but my Axiom surrounds are set at 120 Hz but those are less capable speakers.
Thanks. I've been pretty satisfied with crossing both speakers over at 80 Hz. Unfortunately, my Pioneer Elite won't allow for separate crossover points per speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4597 Old 10-07-2016, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 139
That's a pretty exotic design right there. Since you're curious, I'd recommend at least giving the T-1s an audition. Twenty years has brought innovations in signal processing, power amplification, and construction materials over late-20th century designs. The Tritons also sport an innovative tweeter design that wasn't widely available in the 90s. They're physically smaller than the TDLs, too. At least I think they are. Certainly visually smaller, since the narrow end faces you.

Not saying they'll sound better, but they will sound different. Only you can decide which one you like.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4143 of 4597 Old 10-07-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:

I seriously considered adding an additional 2 channel amp or mono blocks for the Ones but can't justify the cost.

I don't think you need one, given the current 250-watt Parasound you have should be plenty for power and for quality.

post #4144 of 4597 Old 10-07-2016, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I wonder how much of the difference between the XL and the XXL is due to voicing?
post #4145 of 4597 Old 10-07-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I own a pair of TDL Reference Standard speakers I bought in 1994. If anyone is familiar with the TDL's I would appreciate a comparison with the Triton One's.
post #4146 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 141
MPXs as Surrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
Since the topic of surrounds has come up, has anyone used the in wall Invisa MPX before? I'm currently using T5s but am considering the MPX to free up more space along side the couch as my media room is only about 14' wide. My local dealer doesn't have MPX set up so no way to demo them.
Hi, Just for reference, we used MPXs for surrounds (and front mains) at the recent 2016 CEDIA Show. Obviously, I thought that they sounded great, but you can look up press postings on the show to see what others thought. Hometheatershack.com, AVS, etc. Thanks, Sandy
post #4147 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Aon 3 vs SuperSat 3 for Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
I was really into SACD and blu ray multi channel audio for a while, but I ended up preferring stereo for music. I haven't A/B'd the SuperSat 3's and Aon 3's in that capacity though.
Hi, The Aon 3 is designed as a full range speaker, which can be used by itself without a subwoofer. The SuperSat 3 is clearly a satellite, and must be used with a subwoofer. Thanks, Sandy
post #4148 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Invisa 652 and MPX as Surround Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
Hey, GoldenEars! I have a sizeable (3000cuft+), open living room that I'm looking to fill with sound, but with only a 5.1 application.

I want to do a passive LCR soundbar up front for a nice, clean look (and to have my tweeters on the same plane). This is going to be paired with a 92" diag front projection screen, so I'm thinking the SuperCinema 3D Array XL is the way to go.

For my surrounds, I'm limited to only two in-ceiling speakers. In the past, I've preferred dipole surrounds for an enveloping, disperse sound field (rather than worrying about pin-point accuracy with monopoles). GoldenEar doesn't have dipole speakers, but their Invisa SP 652 in-ceilings can be wired in parallel and act as bipoles (according to their website). I'm very much considering this in order to "rain" down sound in the back of the room with the widest dispersion as I can muster with matching GE speakers.

Has anyone used the 652s as bipoles before? Any comments on what I'm trying to achieve? I've also thought about ceiling mounting the Invisa MPXs, but not sure if they would be oriented correctly (or if it matters), or if they would be disperse enough for what I'm looking for.
Hi, You can certainly use the 652s as in-ceiling surrounds and we have many listeners using them in that configuration.Likewise for the MPX. The MPX is similar to the BP in-walls that I designed when I was at Definitive. They can be oriented in either direction, and this would vary somewhat in terms of the better choice, depending on their positioning. Given the choice, I would probably choose the MPXs. If you send me a simple diagram of your seating and proposed positioning, I can give you my recommendation. All the Best, Sandy
DigitalAV likes this.
post #4149 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 10:16 AM

HTR 7000s for Atmos Height Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Anyone using Htr7000 for their atmos ceiling speakers? Looking for feedback on how you placed the speaker with its 30 degree angle. Did you still follow Dolby guidelines for placement or did you change placement based on the 30 degree angle?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Hi, We have been recommending our 7000s as the height speakers of choice for Atmos, and listeners report exceptional results, as we have also experienced. Interestingly, I have recently noticed that several other high end manufacturers have introduced similar speakers for use as height speakers in Dolby Atmos Systems. The concept here is that you achieve a much smoother spread of sound thought the listening area when you use these. In terms of placement, we basically put them in a "box" around the listening area, about 2-3 feet to the left and right and 2-3 feet forward and behind. Then turn them so they aim at the center of the listening area. All the Best, Sandy
post #4150 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 10:20 AM

GoldenEar at NY Hi Fi Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Hi Sandy

I'm sure your very busy with CEDIA but was curious if you have any plans to have an exhibit during the New York audio show at the park lane this November? Many thanks
Hi, We will not be showing at the HiFi Show. I will, however, be there on the first day at least, and if you would like to meet up and chat, it would be my pleasure. You can contact me thru private message, or give a call at GoldenEar. All the Best, Sandy
post #4151 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Speaker Series vs Flexible Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Why doesn't GoldenEar (and Def. Tech for that matter) make a "series" speaker line?

And entire line that matches - 5.1 or 7.1 or... - with fronts, rears, center, surrounds, etc?

They seem to just make a hodgepodge of speakers geared more toward stereo listening - and then add some fill-in speakers whenever.

Hi, Actually, all the speakers are voiced to the same sonic signature so they have total flexibility in terms of how they can be combined. We felt that giving the listener the greatest choice of possible options had decided benefits, so the perfect combination could be chosen individually based upon specific needs. This has proven to be a very successful and beneficial concept, rather just offering a few set systems. Thanks, Sandy
post #4152 of 4597 Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, You can certainly use the 652s as in-ceiling surrounds and we have many listeners using them in that configuration.Likewise for the MPX. The MPX is similar to the BP in-walls that I designed when I was at Definitive. They can be oriented in either direction, and this would vary somewhat in terms of the better choice, depending on their positioning. Given the choice, I would probably choose the MPXs. If you send me a simple diagram of your seating and proposed positioning, I can give you my recommendation. All the Best, Sandy
Thanks very much for the reply, Sandy! Here's a diagram. X marks the spots where I will install the two in-ceiling surround speakers. The ceiling at those points is a flat 9'-4" (dotted box is where the tray recesses). Behind the seating is a half-wall with big open cut-outs in the wall (adjacent to a "game room").

http://screencast.com/t/XLNaGdhxwuS

Last edited by DigitalAV; 10-12-2016 at 07:05 PM.
post #4153 of 4597 Old 10-14-2016, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
I recently upgraded to the Triton Ones with a SCXXL. This was an upgrade from my 8 year old Axiom M60s. To say this was an upgrade would be a drastic understatement I guess. I've been reading about GoldenEar for a couple years now, deciding what my next upgrade would be. I went to my closest dealer to audition them that's about an hour from me, Audio Advice in Charlotte, NC. I tried out other brands, with Martin Logan sounding the best to my ears among the non-GoldenEar, but they were certainly lacking in bass that the Ones had and would definitely need at least one sub in my room to have a complete sound. I listened to the Fives and the Threes also.

I seriously considered adding an additional 2 channel amp or mono blocks for the Ones but can't justify the cost. The same for a dedicated pre-amp. I currently have a 5.2 system, with a five channel Parasound 5250v.2 amp that's powering the towers and center. Connected to that is a Denon X4000 using it's XT32 auto correction software and powering the surrounds (Axiom QS8s).

Other than installing beefier cables (Blue Jeans) and surge protectors, I haven't upgraded anything else. I feel as though I should given that these are $5k speakers. I had intentions of getting the Parasound A21 with the P7 pre-amp or the Halo integrated, but due to already having a rather substantial dedicated quality amp at 250 W per channel I decided to save the money for now. What I am considering is the source. Currently I'm using my PC with Windows 10 connected via HDMI to the Denon, and a PS3 for Blu-ray. The Oppo 105D seems like a good candidate for upgrade with the audiophile DAC and many other features, SACD that I'm curious on how sounds. Though with this I would lose the auto correction software that my irregular room most likely needs. Also looking at possibly an upgraded separate DAC from the one the Denon uses.

Lots of experimentation to be done to obtain the best sound I can get. The room is just under 3000 cu ft. More room treatments, tower positions, bass settings on each tower, etc all things to look at, but I don't think I'm going to spend anymore money for now. I have, however started using TIDAL HiFi and have noticed a noticeable improvement in the quality of the music I listen to. This might have been a change much greater than any amp or pre-amp upgrade could have made.

For music, it definitely seems the Triton Ones are best when run in direct mode, but in doing that you can't utilize additional subs (of which I have two PSA XS30s). I'd like to do this, and have the PSAs in the rear corners daisy chained from the Ones, but cannot use them while in Direct on the Denon (you can technically hear the cones moving when gain is at full, but nothing noticeable.) Lots of playing around to do. Almost wish I got the Triton Fives (almost).
Hi Kanob,

Since you're using the Denon X4000 as a pre/pro with the five channel Parasound 5250v.2 amp, you might be interested in the MiniDSP DDRC-88A unit with Dirac Live room EQ that can tailor the in room response of the GoldenEar speakers to match their natural response.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.
post #4154 of 4597 Old 10-14-2016, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Hi Kanob,

Since you're using the Denon X4000 as a pre/pro with the five channel Parasound 5250v.2 amp, you might be interested in the MiniDSP DDRC-88A unit with Dirac Live room EQ that can tailor the in room response of the GoldenEar speakers to match their natural response.
So you're saying it's possible to have the same sound in movies from the T1s that I get using Direct mode when listening to music without the processing from the Denon? That'd be a very nice sound I'd imagine. One thing I would really like is for the additional subs (PSA XS30s) in the rear corners to be utilized more when using Direct mode to get a more even bass.
post #4155 of 4597 Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
So you're saying it's possible to have the same sound in movies from the T1s that I get using Direct mode when listening to music without the processing from the Denon? That'd be a very nice sound I'd imagine. One thing I would really like is for the additional subs (PSA XS30s) in the rear corners to be utilized more when using Direct mode to get a more even bass.
The DDRC-88A is a external box that has Dirac Live REQ. So it basically allows one to be pre/pro/receiver agnostic (i.e. it doesn't matter which brand you choose). The only thing one needs is pre-outs from the pre/pro/receiver and external amps. Using balanced or un-balanced pre-outs are okay.

One also has to be okay with the A-->D-->A conversion going within the DDRC-88A. YMMV. Most users of the DDRC-88A have reported the ADA being transparent. There are four memory slots available to save custom target curves. So one can have a preset for sofa seating, another for single seat, one for music, another for movies, etc. and easily switch between them with a remote.

Audyssey XT32 REQ on the Denon X4000 would be bypassed, as you don't want a different REQ to be sitting on top of Dirac Live REQ. The simplest configuration is bass management on the pre/pro/receiver, though there is an optional bass management feature (for additional cost) on the DDRC-88A for more advanced users who are really in tweaking and squeezing the last drop of sound out of their system.

Marantz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, aTV, Harmony Home Control remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP (2x4)+(10x10HD)+(DDRC-88A), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8, HiMedia Q16, LG 55EC9300.

Last edited by steveting99; 10-16-2016 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
post #4156 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Guys, can you please PM who is the best dealer/site to order some SuperSat 50's from? thanks in advance!
post #4157 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

GE doesn't do on-line sales, but individual dealers might (probably?) have their own policies. If that really is your location, there's a GoldenEar dealer listed in South Miami FL. If you haven't already, probably be a good idea to ring them up first. I found them on the GE website.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4158 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Triton Five + 2 Subs vs. Triton One

I'm beginning the process of room treatment and starting with a pair of GIK soffit bass traps with range limiters for the back wall corners. Next up will be full range soffit bass traps for the front wall. In my discussion with Bryan from GIK and through much reading, I keep hearing/seeing that having a pair of well calibrated subwoofers integrated into a two-channel setup for music can truly sound as if you have no subwoofer at all (placement + level + phase + EQ) and blend extremely well with crossed over speakers. I've been eyeing the Triton One ever since it's launch and planned on purchasing a pair early next year; however, I'm now second guessing myself.

For those knowledgeable (i.e., real-world experience) with this scenario, what are your thoughts regarding the following setups? Which will yield better results, specifically for two channel audio for music? I understand that separate subs will likely result in a smoother bass response, but a full range speaker may result in better integration. Can I have my cake and eat it, too?

Scenario #1:
  • Pair of Triton 5's
  • Pair of $800-$1,200 subwoofers (e.g., ELAC S12EQs, GE SuperSub XL, SVS, etc.)
  • GIK room treatment
Scenario #2:
  • Pair of Triton Ones
  • No subwoofers
  • GIK room treatment
EDIT: It's worth clarifying in that my room treatment and 2 channel setup is heavily prioritizing music listening, not movies. I do plan to expand my system with a SuperCenter XXL, etc. for surround sound, but I'm starting first with 2 channel music listening.

Austin A's Dedicated Theater Build

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)

Last edited by austin85; 10-25-2016 at 04:21 PM.
post #4159 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

There are a lot of fans of separates around here, enough that GE came out with the Triton 5 to cater to them. Me, I had separates before my T1s (I got my first sub in 1989) and IMO having the subs designed in was a huge get in sound integration, quality, and imaging. It's to the point now I don't really think of them as a two-way system mounted on top of a sub, but rather as proper full-range speakers in the spirit of, say, the original Klipschorn. Whereas that ground-breaking design used clever acoustic engineering for its bass section, the Tritons use clever electronic engineering. But the result is the same: great, fully-integrated sound.

Keep in mind my rig is used 80% for critical music listening, and that mostly classical. I'm the maniac who gets annoyed because he can hear the clock in the kitchen tick over the soft parts, and then goes chasing down loose picture frames during the loud ones. Often during the same symphony! I'm also a very big fan of room treatments and digital correction. I can't help but think folks who are into separates have listening habits quite different from my own.

Also, don't forget to embrace the power of "and." My current situation is such that the only place I could put extra subs would tick off my neighbors even more than I already have, but when I finally get myself a free-standing house I am planning to supplement my Triton 1s with at least one, maybe even two, freestanding subs (I've sat on a Definitive sub when I could've sold it precisely because of this plan.) Mostly just to see if the separates camp has a point or if they're full of crap. I think it'll be a little of both.

Anyway, that's my opinion and my experience. Counter-opinions will I'm sure be found below in short order .

post #4160 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
I'm beginning the process of room treatment and starting with a pair of GIK soffit bass traps with range limiters for the back wall corners. Next up will be full range soffit bass traps for the front wall. In my discussion with Bryan from GIK and through much reading, I keep hearing/seeing that having a pair of well calibrated subwoofers integrated into a two-channel setup can truly sound as if you have no subwoofer at all (placement + level + phase + EQ) and blend extremely well with crossed over speakers. I've been eyeing the Triton One ever since it's launch and planned on purchasing a pair early next year; however, I'm now second guessing myself.

For those knowledgeable (i.e., real-world experience) with this scenario, what are your thoughts regarding the following setups? Which will yield better results, specifically for two channel audio? I understand that separate subs will likely result in a smoother bass response, but a full range speaker may result in better integration. Can I have my cake and eat it, too?

Scenario #1:
  • Pair of Triton 5's
  • GIK room treatment
Scenario #2:
  • Pair of Triton Ones
  • No subwoofers
  • GIK room treatment
Why go through the hassle of all the calibration setup needed with external subwoofers when you can just get the Triton Ones and be done with it?

GoldenEar has perfectly blended each driver in the Triton One. When I listen to mine everything sounds exceptionally smooth and well integrated. Awesome loudspeakers!
post #4161 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
Why go through the hassle of all the calibration setup needed with external subwoofers when you can just get the Triton Ones and be done with it?

GoldenEar has perfectly blended each driver in the Triton One. When I listen to mine everything sounds exceptionally smooth and well integrated. Awesome loudspeakers!
I agree w/ your assessment given my seat time with the Triton Ones - they're amazing. I only ask because subwoofers allow you to better place them in the room for a more even response across the frequency band (or so "they" say) versus them being "stuck" on the Triton Ones with limited positioning options. So, I figured if you can calibrate the subs properly to make them sound as if they are one with the speaker + have them setup in ideal locations to minimize room modes for a smoother response (e.g., center of front wall and center of back wall), it may be an even more promising setup.

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
post #4162 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I agree w/ your assessment given my seat time with the Triton Ones - they're amazing. I only ask because subwoofers allow you to better place them in the room for a more even response across the frequency band (or so "they" say) versus them being "stuck" on the Triton Ones with limited positioning options. So, I figured if you can calibrate the subs properly to make them sound as if they are one with the speaker + have them setup in ideal locations to minimize room modes for a smoother response (e.g., center of front wall and center of back wall), it may be an even more promising setup.
I suppose it could be an interesting test to see if your ears could detect a more even response across the frequency band with separate subs versus built-in. Because each room is unique you would have to do both setups to determine which is best in your particular room environment.
post #4163 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I suppose it could be an interesting test to see if your ears could detect a more even response across the frequency band with separate subs versus built-in. Because each room is unique you would have to do both setups to determine which is best in your particular room environment.
Right, hence why I am looking for people who've had the opportunity to play with both enough to provide a good comparison.

post #4164 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Right, hence why I am looking for people who've had the opportunity to play with both enough to provide a good comparison.
The room itself can play a huge role in how things sound so I don't know how instructive other people's comparison would be. Don't know if anyone has tried both setups in the same room with the exact loudspeakers at issue; those factors would need to be in play for a definitive answer.
post #4165 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I'm beginning the process of room treatment and starting with a pair of GIK soffit bass traps with range limiters for the back wall corners. Next up will be full range soffit bass traps for the front wall. In my discussion with Bryan from GIK and through much reading, I keep hearing/seeing that having a pair of well calibrated subwoofers integrated into a two-channel setup can truly sound as if you have no subwoofer at all (placement + level + phase + EQ) and blend extremely well with crossed over speakers. I've been eyeing the Triton One ever since it's launch and planned on purchasing a pair early next year; however, I'm now second guessing myself.

For those knowledgeable (i.e., real-world experience) with this scenario, what are your thoughts regarding the following setups? Which will yield better results, specifically for two channel audio? I understand that separate subs will likely result in a smoother bass response, but a full range speaker may result in better integration. Can I have my cake and eat it, too?

Scenario #1:
  • Pair of Triton 5's
  • GIK room treatment
Scenario #2:
  • Pair of Triton Ones
  • No subwoofers
  • GIK room treatment

If you are only getting the Triton 1s for 2 channel audio, then you probably can skip a separate SW (or two). However, if you are getting this for movies, you should absolutely get a separate SW as the speakers will not be able to reproduce low bass at meaningful SPL levels. And yes, you are right in thinking that optimal SW placement might differ from where the Fronts are placed.

Hope you enjoy your Tritons.

Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
post #4166 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniks View Post
If you are only getting the Triton 1s for 2 channel audio, then you probably can skip a separate SW (or two). However, if you are getting this for movies, you should absolutely get a separate SW as the speakers will not be able to reproduce low bass at meaningful SPL levels. And yes, you are right in thinking that optimal SW placement might differ from where the Fronts are placed.

Hope you enjoy your Tritons.

Cheers,
Thanks, but notice via my options that I have no desire to add separate subs to a Triton One setup for 2 channel audio, as that would defeat the purpose of them, IMO. The option w/ subs incorporated Triton Fives.

post #4167 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Thanks, but notice via my options that I have no desire to add separate subs to a Triton One setup for 2 channel audio, as that would defeat the purpose of them, IMO. The option w/ subs incorporated Triton Fives.
Yes, I did see that and that's why I said that for 2 channel audio, you could skip the subs.

Cheers,

Nikhil
http://www.lihkin.net

Definitive Technology Mythos ST-Ls (Fronts), Definitive Technology CS8080HD (Center), Definitive Technology Gem XLs (Surrounds), Definitive Technology DI 6.5R (5.1.4 Atmos), JTR Captivator 1400, Denon X4200W, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Player, Onkyo M-5010 Amp, Onkyo C-7030
post #4168 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:

Scenario #1:
  • Pair of Triton 5's
  • GIK room treatment
Scenario #2:
  • Pair of Triton Ones
  • No subwoofers
  • GIK room treatment
I can tell you that the superior system will definitely be the Triton 5 + 2x Subwoofer system as long as you choose the subwoofers wisely and blend them well. A couple of questions:

1) What kind of processor do you have and what kind of room correction?
2) Do you have room to place your subwoofers up front, next to your towers?
3) Are you willing to expand your selections of subwoofers to HSU ?

The Triton 1's (and 2+) have meaningful bass until about 30Hz. This will probably be fine for music but not for movies.
Shniks likes this.
post #4169 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Scenario #3 - T2+ and call it a day!

Mike Miles
post #4170 of 4597 Old 10-25-2016, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Scenario #3 - T2+ and call it a day!
Why would you choose this option over the other 2 the OP is looking at.

Im just curious since i am also in the market for one of the Tritons.

I auditioned both the 1 and the 5 this past week and was totally blown away by the T1 as much as i was impressed with the T5.

I have never listened to the T2+ but because of its size it may be the perfect fit for my space if it sounds as good as the T1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page