GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 482Likes

post #4321 of 4403 Old 01-25-2017, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc_av View Post
Thanks, austin85

To comment on your question, it would be a crime to purchase that, without hearing what the Reference can do, first. Also, if I were to purchase subs, I would compare those to the GoldenEar's flagship sub, before making a decision, since the speakers are the same brand, and all.
Also, I'm afraid to listen to the Reference series for fear that I will want them .

Austin A's Dedicated Theater Build

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton 7 | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 4403 Old 01-26-2017, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question for Sandy:
I currently have speakers I believe you designed while at Polk.
RT2000P mains
CS 350 center
LS F/X surrounds
(also have SVS PC13 Ultra subwoofer)

I went to the local dealer and auditioned the GE Triton Twos which sounded terrific. Based on my recommendation, my brother auditioned them at his local dealer and came home with a full system based on Triton Ones.

Since the RT2000P speakers have only a 200 watt amp for the dual 8" drivers, I expect the Triton Two (or Two+ now) would trounce them. Interestingly, after the demo, I bought the same demo CD the dealer was using and my 20 year old RT2000Ps sounded pretty darn good too (I really need to A/B them with the Tritons). I have an average size living room, but it is open on one side to the kitchen and behind to the family room. The combination of the RT2000P and SVS sub get the job done on most material (one can always use more).

Now for the questions:
Do you think the Two+ is enough of a step up, or are the Ones the way to go?
In either case, I would go with the Super Center XXL.
As for surrounds, I'm torn between the 650s and the MPX (I have two columns the surrounds are hung on that are hollow and can except either in wall). The speakers are nearly 90 degrees from the listening position and since the back of the room is open to another room, I'm not sure the LS F/X speakers (or the MPX) do all they could do which is why I'm considering the 650s.

Thanks for participating here and for designing such great speakers over the years!

Roger
System: Denon AVR-4520CI, Polk RT2000P Mains, CS350 Center, LS F/X Surrounds, SVS PC13 Ultra Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 Blu Ray, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable, UVerse DVR.
post #4323 of 4403 Old 01-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
Also, I'm afraid to listen to the Reference series for fear that I will want them .
Thanks for the feedback on the subs. About the Reference, I guess I understand, since you already own their speakers.

Me, I'm basically starting from scratch! lucky me.

post #4324 of 4403 Old 01-26-2017, 09:56 AM

Question to Triton One owners:

What other speakers did you demo before deciding for the Ones?

On a side-note:

When I demoed the Ones, last weekend, besides noticing that the plucking of the guitar strings wasn't as detailed as the Marting Logan's ESL 15A (ML's felt brighter, though - someone comented in these forums, that that could be becasue the ML's were brand new. - but anyways,I didn't like that when walking off of the sweet spot of the ML's, the sound difference was too big), the Triton Ones, when the songs were in their climax parts (all instruments playing together at the same time - rock music), it felt like...., I dont know, "not enough separation"?, I don't know, it made me wonder if it would sound better in a bigger room. Not a reply to this from the dealer, but I was told that the system I demoed wasn't room-corrected.

Just wondering if those of you who listen to rock with the Triton Ones, felt this way, when the climax in the songs is reached.

Thanks.
post #4325 of 4403 Old 01-26-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
it felt like...., I dont know, "not enough separation"?, I don't know, it made me wonder if it would sound better in a bigger room. Not a reply to this from the dealer, but I was told that the system I demoed wasn't room-corrected.
IMO room correction is very important, as is speaker position. My previous rig was anchored by Boston Acoustic VR3s, their top-of-the-line at the time. They recommended pointing them straight out, no toe-in at all. In spite of what Sandy (and the manuals) recommended, for some reason I resisted toeing my T-1s in until they pointed directly at my MLP.

Finally I did exactly that last week, and did a by-the-book MCAC calibration using the steps described on this site.

Big difference. Before, things seemed out of focus for the first ten or fifteen minutes. Now, the soundstage is immediately clear from the get-go. After about fifteen minutes anything in the center starts moving forward, clearly separated from the rest of the mix. Not long after that, depending on the recording, I'll usually hear stuff coming from behind me. It's really amazing.

My mains are probably seven feet apart, and I think I sit ten feet away.

So anyway, I've not experienced what you describe, so I'd chalk it up to a less-than-ideal set up.
wc_av likes this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4326 of 4403 Old 01-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Thanks, dscottj

If I'm happy with the Reference, they would go in a bedroom 17 and 19 feet L./ 10.5 feet W./ 8.4 feet H., for now.

So, the main speakers won't be separated from each other as much as yours.

Listening position would be on the bed. Which is centered against the back wall, so I got the length, at least. 40% of the back, on one side, I got 2.5 feet behind me.

Hopefully Dirac can make this work... :-s
post #4327 of 4403 Old 01-28-2017, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, As an earlier poster said, coming out with a new flagship in no way degrades or makes the older speakers sound worse. In fact, in many ways, it helps to point out just how excellent they are. The Triton Reference does not replace the Triton One, but rather, it is a step up from it. As a manufacturer, we must continue to evolve and improve. This is not programmed obsolescence, as goes on with automobiles in general, but rather a very real and sincere attempt to move the state of the art forward.I like to think of our development program as something akin to Porsche. Relative to Captain Brent, your Triton Ones, which I expect that you are fully enjoying, as they are a great speaker, was the result of our continual program of R&D development. I fully expect that the Reference will focus much positive attention on what we are doing, and many lucky consumers who decide that the Reference is not for them, will buy less expensive, but still exceptional GoldenEar speakers, like Triton One, Two+, Three + etc. And then, many will want to step up. Onward and Upward, Sandy
Will there be a pair of references at Axpona?

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #4328 of 4403 Old 01-28-2017, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Power Draw and Use/Need for Extra Subs with Ref

Quote:
Triton One owners:

I'm interested in the Reference, and dealer said I'll be fine using 15A wall outlets.

But, when I do the math, it worries me.

Triton 1: 1600W x 2
Triton Reference: 1800W x 2

Dealer also recommended to use an external sub to take some of the speakers load off to the external sub, and because also, speaker location in the room, is not necessarily the best location in the room for the internal sub in the speakers, according to the dealer.

SuperSub XXL: 1600W

Add to that the receiver wattage for the upper half of the speakers, and I don't know how that would be ok.

It would be great to hear from owners' experience, and if you have also an external sub, comment about it, too, please?

Hi, do you guys use 15A wall outlets for these?

Hi, We have never had an issue of owners blowing circuit breakers, so this should not be an issue. In terms of extra subs with the Reference: The bass with the Reference is exceptional. We were hitting 16 Hz organ pipes at CES and the References are basically flat to 20 Hz in room. They couple very well to a room, even when way out from the rear wall (positioning, which, in fact, is not really necessary). That said, bass is like horsepower in a car and only you can decide what you need. If you get a new Porsche 911, most people are very satisfied with the entry level engine, while others require the top of the line turbo. My Ferrari 599 has 612 horsepower and is extraordinarily fast. A Ferrari salesman tried to convince me that I needed a new Ferrari F 12 with 732 horsepower.....I think that you get the point. I believe that you will be thrilled by the bass of a Triton Reference. You can always add more subs later. In terms of our SuperSubs, especially the XXL vs other subs: We are designing subs that excel, not just in shaking the room, but in achieving a very high level of detail and superb transient response. The other subs being discussed are very good, I think ours are better, and certainly better when matched to our speakers. I suppose you could say it is something like comparing an American muscle car, or the current editions of such things, with a Ferrari or Lamborghini. It all depends what you are looking for. All the Best, Sandy

Thanks.
Hi, We have never had an issue of owners blowing circuit breakers, so this should not be an issue. In terms of extra subs with the Reference: The bass with the Reference is exceptional. We were hitting 16 Hz organ pipes at CES and the References are basically flat to 20 Hz in room. They couple very well to a room, even when way out from the rear wall (positioning, which, in fact, is not really necessary). That said, bass is like horsepower in a car and only you can decide what you need. If you get a new Porsche 911, most people are very satisfied with the entry level engine, while others require the top of the line turbo. My Ferrari 599 has 612 horsepower and is extraordinarily fast. A Ferrari salesman tried to convince me that I needed a new Ferrari F 12 with 732 horsepower.....I think that you get the point. I believe that you will be thrilled by the bass of a Triton Reference. You can always add more subs later. In terms of our SuperSubs, especially the XXL vs other subs: We are designing subs that excel, not just in shaking the room, but in achieving a very high level of detail and superb transient response. The other subs being discussed are very good, I think ours are better, and certainly better when matched to our speakers. I suppose you could say it is something like comparing an American muscle car, or the current editions of such things, with a Ferrari or Lamborghini. It all depends what you are looking for. All the Best, Sandy
hydrotex, austin85 and wc_av like this.
post #4329 of 4403 Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you, sir.

When I demoed the Triton Ones to get an idea of what's to come on the Reference, the dealer turned the lights off for me. Best thing someone can do for you when demoing these speakers. Oh, yeah, and close your eyes, too.
post #4330 of 4403 Old 01-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Speaker Set Up

Quote:
Thank you, sir.

When I demoed the Triton Ones to get an idea of what's to come on the Reference, the dealer turned the lights off for me. Best thing someone can do for you when demoing these speakers. Oh, yeah, and close your eyes, too.
Hi, Yes, lights off, close your eyes and the magic really happens. One more point: Our speakers, as well as most speakers, sound best toe'd in directly at the listener. With our speakers this improves imaging, clarity and gives a much wider sweet spot. I'm not sure how they were set up when you auditioned them. I try to get our dealers to follow this recommendation, but sometimes they don't. All the Best, Sandy
wc_av likes this.
post #4331 of 4403 Old 01-29-2017, 11:01 AM

Feedback on Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
Question for Sandy:
I currently have speakers I believe you designed while at Polk.
RT2000P mains
CS 350 center
LS F/X surrounds
(also have SVS PC13 Ultra subwoofer)

I went to the local dealer and auditioned the GE Triton Twos which sounded terrific. Based on my recommendation, my brother auditioned them at his local dealer and came home with a full system based on Triton Ones.

Since the RT2000P speakers have only a 200 watt amp for the dual 8" drivers, I expect the Triton Two (or Two+ now) would trounce them. Interestingly, after the demo, I bought the same demo CD the dealer was using and my 20 year old RT2000Ps sounded pretty darn good too (I really need to A/B them with the Tritons). I have an average size living room, but it is open on one side to the kitchen and behind to the family room. The combination of the RT2000P and SVS sub get the job done on most material (one can always use more).

Now for the questions:
Do you think the Two+ is enough of a step up, or are the Ones the way to go?
In either case, I would go with the Super Center XXL.
As for surrounds, I'm torn between the 650s and the MPX (I have two columns the surrounds are hung on that are hollow and can except either in wall). The speakers are nearly 90 degrees from the listening position and since the back of the room is open to another room, I'm not sure the LS F/X speakers (or the MPX) do all they could do which is why I'm considering the 650s.

Thanks for participating here and for designing such great speakers over the years!
Hi, In terms of your question regarding if the Triton Two+ is enough of a step up: From a pure sonic perspective; voicing, clarity, imaging, quality of bass, etc., the Two+ is a major step up, as I'm sure that you heard. The One is clearly more dynamic with more extended bass, and somewhat better in other aspects. The Two+ is great, as you heard, the One is better. I would say if your budget will allow you to get Ones, why not? I would say that everyone that selected Ones over Two+ is happy with their decision. I'm not sure that I understand your question regarding the surrounds? I assume that either would not be hung on, but rather mounted and the back enclosed by the columns? I would probably go with the MPX, as they have wider dispersion. All the Best, Sandy
post #4332 of 4403 Old 01-29-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Hi, Yes, lights off, close your eyes and the magic really happens. One more point: Our speakers, as well as most speakers, sound best toe'd in directly at the listener. With our speakers this improves imaging, clarity and gives a much wider sweet spot. I'm not sure how they were set up when you auditioned them. I try to get our dealers to follow this recommendation, but sometimes they don't. All the Best, Sandy
Thank you, again

Yes, they were toed in, but system wasn't room corrected. Macintosh amp 450W; same brand for cd player; and preamp. Room was bigger than the one I intent to use. I was sitting about 10-12 feet away, centered.

I used the following CD's, fully, in this order: NIN - The Fragile; Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals; Various Artists - The Matrix Soundtrack.

I include the names so maybe you can study these CD's on your end, and see what you experience. Maybe you'll find the reason behind the issue. Which it is, again, when the songs get really aggressive, you know, like hard rock songs during one of their climax scenes, it sounds...well, loud, yes, but ...too together?... I don't know. You'd have to listen to these CD's in that order, fully, but you'll notice it, mainly in some aggressive songs with hard guitars, and other intruments playing together aggressively at the same time, in several of the climax parts of songs, not necessarily the end of the song. I certainly won't be using any PassLabs amps, though so, maybe you won't even notice anything

But, yeah, take this as a feedback post, where the issue could easily be the recordings; the room setup; my special perception of sound ; or it could be the speakers. Anything is possible. Sorry I don't give you specific names of songs. Just, take you time. Months is fine. I don't want you to feel pressured.

Thanks for being so focused on what we have to say about these speakers!
post #4333 of 4403 Old 01-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

On a side-note:

When I demoed the Ones, last weekend, besides noticing that the plucking of the guitar strings wasn't as detailed as the Marting Logan's ESL 15A (ML's felt brighter, though - someone comented in these forums, that that could be becasue the ML's were brand new. - but anyways,I didn't like that when walking off of the sweet spot of the ML's, the sound difference was too big), the Triton Ones, when the songs were in their climax parts (all instruments playing together at the same time - rock music), it felt like...., I dont know, "not enough separation"?, I don't know, it made me wonder if it would sound better in a bigger room. Not a reply to this from the dealer, but I was told that the system I demoed wasn't room-corrected.

Just wondering if those of you who listen to rock with the Triton Ones, felt this way, when the climax in the songs is reached.

Thanks.
I noticed a significant difference in how my 1's sound based on the processor (room correction) being used. I own a Marantz 8802a and also had the opportunity to demo an Anthem AVM 60 for two weeks. I MUCH prefer the Anthem's sound through the 1's. ARC was able to bring out the detail in my sources much better than Audyssey does in the Marantz. I don't listen to a lot of rock music, however in busy movie scenes with a lot going on the separation in sounds with the Anthem processor was significantly better. Audyssey does not play nice with GoldenEar speakers imo. I get all kinds of weird things going on with it.

I also noticed an improvement in separation and clarity after I acoustically treated my media room.

So in short, if you are listening to the 1's in an acoustically treated room with a good processor (with quality room correction) you'll notice the 1's get much better.
wc_av likes this.

Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Sources: Oppo 203, PS4 Pro, DirectTV
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4334 of 4403 Old 01-30-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
I noticed a significant difference in how my 1's sound based on the processor (room correction) being used. I own a Marantz 8802a and also had the opportunity to demo an Anthem AVM 60 for two weeks. I MUCH prefer the Anthem's sound through the 1's. ARC was able to bring out the detail in my sources much better than Audyssey does in the Marantz. I don't listen to a lot of rock music, however in busy movie scenes with a lot going on the separation in sounds with the Anthem processor was significantly better. Audyssey does not play nice with GoldenEar speakers imo. I get all kinds of weird things going on with it.

I also noticed an improvement in separation and clarity after I acoustically treated my media room.

So in short, if you are listening to the 1's in an acoustically treated room with a good processor (with quality room correction) you'll notice the 1's get much better.
Thanks for that feedback.

Did you think about Dirac?
post #4335 of 4403 Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone do an A/B comparison on the Triton 5 vs a high efficiency speaker like PSA? Curious to hear the differences. I would expect the PSA to play louder and with better dynamics but how do the 5s do for HT duty?
post #4336 of 4403 Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 214
@Roger Clark the multi polar MPX is a great surround and not as dependent on placement. I use the MPX in the demo space.

Mike Miles
post #4337 of 4403 Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post

I'm really curious-did you have a chance to listen to both processors in a 'pure direct' mode, as in no filters from the processor? I'm wondering if there was still a difference and how much was room correction and how much was the processor.

I can't listen to my Ones using auddessy it really cuts the bass and makes it sound real thin. Thanks
post #4338 of 4403 Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 AM

I heard a while back that there are two methods typically used when EQ'ing speakers via a Home Theater Geeks podcast episode about Dirac:
  • EQ just low frequencies (e.g., 80Hz and below) to account for room modes.
  • EQ entire frequency band to account for the room and achieve a flat response.

Audyssey (at least my/older versions) EQ's the entire frequency band, which adjusts the low end to account for room modes - perhaps a great thing so as long as it doesn't boost the signal to account for nulls. It also adjusts the mid and high frequencies and, from what I understand, is essentially making the speaker do things it's not intended to do since that frequency range isn't much impacted by the room (i.e., changing the speaker itself vs. accounting for the room). This is why I (and likely many of you) do not like how Audyssey makes my speakers sound (especially for music).

I know EQ's like Dirac allow you to treat just a set frequency range, which is ideal so that you can EQ out some of the peaks that subs (in our case, the Tritons) will produce due to room modes. I'd imagine that most/all of us would agree that treating the sound in this manner is a marked improvement, but there aren't a ton of processors with that specific capability.
wc_av likes this.

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton 7 | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
post #4339 of 4403 Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I heard a while back that there are two methods typically used when EQ'ing speakers via a Home Theater Geeks podcast episode about Dirac:
  • EQ just low frequencies (e.g., 80Hz and below) to account for room modes.
  • EQ entire frequency band to account for the room and achieve a flat response.
Audyssey (at least my/older versions) EQ's the entire frequency band, which adjusts the low end to account for room modes - perhaps a great thing so as long as it doesn't boost the signal to account for nulls. It also adjusts the mid and high frequencies and, from what I understand, is essentially making the speaker do things it's not intended to do since that frequency range isn't much impacted by the room (i.e., changing the speaker itself vs. accounting for the room). This is why I (and likely many of you) do not like how Audyssey makes my speakers sound (especially for music).

I know EQ's like Dirac allow you to treat just a set frequency range, which is ideal so that you can EQ out some of the peaks that subs (in our case, the Tritons) will produce due to room modes. I'd imagine that most/all of us would agree that treating the sound in this manner is a marked improvement, but there aren't a ton of processors with that specific capability.
Thanks for that. Do you know if ARC gives you that option like Dirac does?
post #4340 of 4403 Old 01-31-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that. Do you know if ARC gives you that option like Dirac does?
Google is a good thing . Quick answer, yes.

This is a key feature of the ARC system. The maximum frequency at which the EQ will affect the speaker’s response is set by this parameter. It is unique among EQ systems in that the choice is user-dependent. Some systems may offer one option, typically at 300Hz, where the transition between the room’s dominated frequency response moves to the speaker’s dominated region, but ARC offers the ability to set the EQ frequency limit to any value between 200Hz and 20 kHz. Anthem sets 5 kHz as a default.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/a...system-part-1/
wc_av likes this.

post #4341 of 4403 Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
The Reference model definitely looks legit. Question, though... How many of you have tried Triton Ones crossed over (or just let run full range since they start to die in the mid-20s) at the mid-20Hz mark and let some serious subs take care of the bottom dweller frequencies (e.g., SVS SB16-Ultra's). It's hard to ignore how great that must sound (I'm assuming here) given you can buy a pair of Triton One's @ $5K + 2x SVS SB16-Ultras @ $3,800 - which is right in line with "just" a pair of Reference models. I also suspect that blending at such low frequencies becomes much less of an issue/chore.
I do kind of a hybrid approach. I run my Triton Ones full range, and I fed them the LFE signal and I feed the LFE signal to a Power Sound Audio V1500. It sounds fantastic!
austin85 likes this.
post #4342 of 4403 Old 02-03-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

On a side-note:

Thanks.
What kind of receiver are you using? The ML's being brand new doesn't have anything to do with it. I've had some ESL's now for 4 yrs. You won't hear any sort of break in. Mine sounded the same from the time I 1st listened til now. Depends how you have them setup and toed in. Also the type of receiver plays a big role.
wc_av likes this.
post #4343 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
What kind of receiver are you using? The ML's being brand new doesn't have anything to do with it. I've had some ESL's now for 4 yrs. You won't hear any sort of break in. Mine sounded the same from the time I 1st listened til now. Depends how you have them setup and toed in. Also the type of receiver plays a big role.
ML's were using Arcam components at Best Buy demo. I have nothing. Starting from scratch. For continued ML talk, quote me at ML thread. thanks.
post #4344 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I have a quick question about the SuperSat 50c vs 60c. I am planning to purchase a set of GE speakers for a 7.2 home theater setup. I was planning for the Triton 5s and the small SuperSats for the sides and rears. I know there is a SuperCenter series that may be more robust than any SuperSat as a center channel speaker but for various reasons I really like the idea of a wall mounded speaker beneath the projector screen. I haven't heard this particular speaker. Is the 60c worth the $300 upgrade price relative to the 50c? Thanks!
post #4345 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I tried to anchor my Triton 1s with a SS 50 back in the day. Big mistake. The 60 was definitely a $300 improvement.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4346 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Liked: 58
Parts In Future

I have had my Triton 2's past the warranty period. I am concerned with the new 2+'s that if the amp blows on my first generation 2's? Can i get a replacement amp 5 years from now? Or is the amp in the 2+ with its new crossover unable to be placed in the old 2's?

Heard the 5's today and was quite impressed with them! Thinking of going all passive? Perhaps T5's all around?

Forum's experience, thoughts????
post #4347 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 134
So I just found out we're getting a demo pair of the Triton Reference but not until May, I'm in Raleigh, NC for anyone in the surrounding area wanting to check them out!
hydrotex likes this.

Anthem/Theta Digital/MartinLogan/Sony ES/
post #4348 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Has anyone compared Bowers and Wilkins 685 s2's with aon 2 or aon 3's? I just bought a supercenter xl and I absolutely adore it. My front left and right speakers are b&w 685 s2's that are still in their return period at Best Buy. I like them a lot and they blend well in my home theater, real well honestly. Would the aon's be an upgrade??
post #4349 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Has anyone compared Bowers and Wilkins 685 s2's with aon 2 or aon 3's? I just bought a supercenter xl and I absolutely adore it. My front left and right speakers are b&w 685 s2's that are still in their return period at Best Buy. I like them a lot and they blend well in my home theater, real well honestly. Would the aon's be an upgrade??
I upgraded from 683's to the Triton Sevens - so although they're not quite what your question references, they're in the same ballpark and similarly priced against each other (just like the Aons are to the 68x bookshelves). First, I love Bowers. However, with my listening time between the two, I feel that the GE's are by far a superior (sounding) speaker. They disappear so well and present such a great soundstage, which is really where they shine over B&W. IMO, dollar for dollar, B&W doesn't compete with GE. I only think that going to B&W's Diamond series begins to deliver similar/better results (better is obviously subjective, as GE and B&W have different sound profiles).

Even with that said, go listen to some Aons. I'm confident you'll love them, but only your ears will confirm if you end up with the same opinion as me. Also, it's best to match your speakers w/ the same manufacturer and line so the timbre closely matches. Although I don't think this is all that important for movies, it is for music / concerts in surround formats.

post #4350 of 4403 Old 02-04-2017, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
I upgraded from 683's to the Triton Sevens - so although they're not quite what your question references, they're in the same ballpark and similarly priced against each other (just like the Aons are to the 68x bookshelves). First, I love Bowers. However, with my listening time between the two, I feel that the GE's are by far a superior (sounding) speaker. They disappear so well and present such a great soundstage, which is really where they shine over B&W. IMO, dollar for dollar, B&W doesn't compete with GE. I only think that going to B&W's Diamond series begins to deliver similar/better results (better is obviously subjective, as GE and B&W have different sound profiles).

Even with that said, go listen to some Aons. I'm confident you'll love them, but only your ears will confirm if you end up with the same opinion as me. Also, it's best to match your speakers w/ the same manufacturer and line so the timbre closely matches. Although I don't think this is all that important for movies, it is for music / concerts in surround formats.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm gonna go listen to some Aon 3's Monday but it sounds like either the 2's or 3's I'll be happy with for movies (which is 90% of my use). I do like the rich b&w sound but the supercenter xl really really blew away the htm 62 s2 center from b&w that I bought last week (and returned today). The goldenear stuff is just like nothing I've ever heard, truly crisp and detailed. Can't believe they don't get more love/press, id never even heard of them until I stumbled into a local shop to listen to the htm61 center since I wasn't thrilled with the htm62.

Last edited by ma1746; 02-04-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page