GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 565Likes

post #4411 of 4653 Old 02-23-2017, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
I'm headed to San Antonio (from Houston) tomorrow to pick up the Triton Ones. Will they fit in their boxes with the tailgate up on a 5.5' bed (F150)? I'm hoping I can avoid having to strap them down with the tailgate down.
I just measured my Triton One boxes...59.5 inches long.

Know that it is best if you have a helper to get the loudspeakers out of their box. You will be amazed how well they are packed.

I assume you are getting them at Bjorn's which is where I got mine. I live close by. I go there a lot.
austin85 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 4653 Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Your going to love the triton 1
austin85 likes this.

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #4413 of 4653 Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I just measured my Triton One boxes...59.5 inches long.

Know that it is best if you have a helper to get the loudspeakers out of their box. You will be amazed how well they are packed.

I assume you are getting them at Bjorn's which is where I got mine. I live close by. I go there a lot.
Thanks for the measurements! Bjorn knew I was dropping by on Friday and informed his son-in-law, Neil, that they have a pair of open-box Triton Ones from one of his customers. The customer used them for two weeks (i.e., skipping the break-in process for me ), but returned them upon hearing GE's Triton Reference announcement and is ordering those instead. I'm picking them up at a discounted price of $2,150 a speaker, so I'm really stoked about the price + my good timing. I'm also grabbing a SuperCenter XXL while I'm at it. Next up, a pair of SVS SB16-Ultras!
robert9674 likes this.

Austin A's Dedicated Theater Build

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)

post #4414 of 4653 Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got my T1 from a guy that lived a town over for a great price too. He only had his for a day!!!!!!!!! Wife made him trade down to a T2 plus because of size....

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #4415 of 4653 Old 02-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
I got my T1 from a guy that lived a town over for a great price too. He only had his for a day!!!!!!!!! Wife made him trade down to a T2 plus because of size....
Ha! Great for you, not so much for him .

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
post #4416 of 4653 Old 02-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thduke View Post
just measured the box it's 59.5" long looks like it will fit with a few inches to spare
Perfect, thanks so much!

post #4417 of 4653 Old 02-24-2017, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, Actually, we have some disagreement internally on this. As discussed, for Atmos set ups, definitely should be ear height. Otherwise, I like them at ear height, my VP Sales likes them higher. Honestly, both work well, higher will give you a more spacious sound and ear height will be more focussed. All the Best, Sandy
Just to followup on this, here is my layout. As you can see, the surrounds are mounted on pillars which happen to be hollow (which is why the MPX in wall will work here). You can also see that the room is open to the kitchen on one side and the living room behind which is why efficient speakers are desired. I have an SVS PC13 Ultra behind the right tower currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_175524.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	1990369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_175536.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1990377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_175551.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	1990385  

Roger
System: Denon AVR-4520CI, Polk RT2000P Mains, CS350 Center, LS F/X Surrounds, SVS PC13 Ultra Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 Blu Ray, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable, UVerse DVR.
post #4418 of 4653 Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Goldenear reliability

I've stumbled upon a few videos from deftec users mainly that say they have had problems with either the crossover, but in most cases, the built in amplifiers for their tower speakers. In a couple cases, users were having to replace the already replaced parts. I thought I would ask, since the designs are similar and GEt is an evolution (sort of) from DefTec, has anyone run into such issues with the Tritons? If this isn't prone to happen with the Tritons, why? Anyone know what they've done to ensure increased reliability?
post #4419 of 4653 Old 02-27-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro1100 View Post
I've stumbled upon a few videos from deftec users mainly that say they have had problems with either the crossover, but in most cases, the built in amplifiers for their tower speakers. In a couple cases, users were having to replace the already replaced parts. I thought I would ask, since the designs are similar and GEt is an evolution (sort of) from DefTec, has anyone run into such issues with the Tritons? If this isn't prone to happen with the Tritons, why? Anyone know what they've done to ensure increased reliability?
This is a reasonable question for Sandy.
post #4420 of 4653 Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Quote:
This is a reasonable question for Sandy.
Different times, different designs, different components! I have had no issues with my 1's, nor have I heard of any others having issues, to speak of. In your research, did you stumble upon any complaints about the GE's? Did you search this thread?

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #4421 of 4653 Old 02-28-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You're sounding a bit defensive. I've got an open mind, you should too. If you can't do that, well I'm not going to engage a back and forth. But I'll post this for the sake of clarity.

"research". I told you I just came across some vids made by consumers that had trouble with a specific design. I'm not going to do a dissertation. If that's been their experience with power woofer tower design, their experience is a legitimate perspective.

In terms of "different times, different designs" and "different components", what I came across were people either issuing caution to people considering DefTec specific models or towers with an integrated sub design in general. All were recently uploaded and in regards to newer models.
I thought I was clear when I noted "If this isn't prone to happen with the Triton's, why?" If it wasn't clear, it is to infer that I haven't seen a slew of such complaints about crossovers and/or amp failures with the powered Tritons (only 1). And it's also to point out that I'm inquiring not only if anyone has had/heard of such issues with the Tritons and simply haven't posted about it, but also to know if GEt has overcome obstacles that DefTec hasn't in similar designs, how did they do that?

I think it's a legitimate inquiry, though I'll respect that you do not. I like GEt's sound and Gross has built a great reputation over there for customer service from what I've read. I'm not running down a product line; and yes, I own GEt products. But I'm not blindly loyal to any brand, and we're not talking about buying popsicles here...these are expensive units. And if I'm looking at buying a car from manufacturer 'A', who uses a similar engine design to manufacturer 'B'; the latter having a lot of reliability issues and the former not so much...well, while some would simply shrug and say "They must have done it better" and walk away, I'm the customer that wants to know, "What did you do differently under the hood to make that happen?" Not asking for a reveal of proprietary secrets, just as a person who's interested in how things work, I would want to know what's different there (especially when building a system that, based around those powered towers, will be running over $8000...Canadian)
post #4422 of 4653 Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Went ahead and ordered the Supercenter X over the weekend! Should have it by the Friday! Looking forward to what should be a noticeable upgrade for my center.

Last edited by Elitegti17; 02-28-2017 at 06:47 AM.
post #4423 of 4653 Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You're sounding a bit defensive. I've got an open mind, you should too. If you can't do that, well I'm not going to engage a back and forth. But I'll post this for the sake of clarity.

"research". I told you I just came across some vids made by consumers that had trouble with a specific design. I'm not going to do a dissertation. If that's been their experience with power woofer tower design, their experience is a legitimate perspective.

In terms of "different times, different designs" and "different components", what I came across were people either issuing caution to people considering DefTec specific models or towers with an integrated sub design in general. All were recently uploaded and in regards to newer models.
I thought I was clear when I noted "If this isn't prone to happen with the Triton's, why?" If it wasn't clear, it is to infer that I haven't seen a slew of such complaints about crossovers and/or amp failures with the powered Tritons (only 1). And it's also to point out that I'm inquiring not only if anyone has had/heard of such issues with the Tritons and simply haven't posted about it, but also to know if GEt has overcome obstacles that DefTec hasn't in similar designs, how did they do that?

I think it's a legitimate inquiry, though I'll respect that you do not. I like GEt's sound and Gross has built a great reputation over there for customer service from what I've read. I'm not running down a product line; and yes, I own GEt products. But I'm not blindly loyal to any brand, and we're not talking about buying popsicles here...these are expensive units. And if I'm looking at buying a car from manufacturer 'A', who uses a similar engine design to manufacturer 'B'; the latter having a lot of reliability issues and the former not so much...well, while some would simply shrug and say "They must have done it better" and walk away, I'm the customer that wants to know, "What did you do differently under the hood to make that happen?" Not asking for a reveal of proprietary secrets, just as a person who's interested in how things work, I would want to know what's different there (especially when building a system that, based around those powered towers, will be running over $8000...Canadian)
Perhaps we read the response to your question differently, but I didn't pick up on anyone being defensive. In any case, my opinion is that it's really too early to tell how reliable GE products are in the long run. As different components are used and (perhaps slightly) different designs implemented from DefTech, I think only time will tell how reliable they prove to be. Sandy can further comment if GE is using more reliable parts, etc. It kind of reminds me of McIntosh - they state that they don't know how long their products last because their old stuff (60+ yo) is still working. I hope GE can make the same claim in a decade (or two or six ), for instance, but I just don't think we're there.

Personally, if I were going for the most reliable option, passive speakers are absolutely the way to go - simply less to go wrong. Kind of like running a naturally aspirated, low stressed V8 versus a high strung, forced induction straight 4. My money would be on the v8. From this forum, at least, GE failures appear quite rare at this point.

post #4424 of 4653 Old 02-28-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Perhaps we read the response to your question differently, but I didn't pick up on anyone being defensive. In any case, my opinion is that it's really too early to tell how reliable GE products are in the long run. As different components are used and (perhaps slightly) different designs implemented from DefTech, I think only time will tell how reliable they prove to be. Sandy can further comment if GE is using more reliable parts, etc. It kind of reminds me of McIntosh - they state that they don't know how long their products last because their old stuff (60+ yo) is still working. I hope GE can make the same claim in a decade (or two or six ), for instance, but I just don't think we're there.

Personally, if I were going for the most reliable option, passive speakers are absolutely the way to go - simply less to go wrong. Kind of like running a naturally aspirated, low stressed V8 versus a high strung, forced induction straight 4. My money would be on the v8. From this forum, at least, GE failures appear quite rare at this point.
Austin85, are you enjoying your new Triton Ones? Do tell...
post #4425 of 4653 Old 02-28-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Austin85, are you enjoying your new Triton Ones? Do tell...
Hey! I am very much! I picked them up this past Friday - had a good chat with Bjorn and Neil. In fact, Neil and I went off to play while Bjorn caught up with Roger (I think you briefly met Roger at the GE demo). I got to hear the new SVS SB16 Ultra - goodness - I'll have to get a pair of those soon.

I'm giving myself a bit more time to form my final thoughts, but they're fantastic thus far. The one learning is that I had to toe them in a bit more aggressively than my T7s to get them to image like a razor. Don't get me wrong, they were imaging pretty well with little adjustment, but not as well as I knew they could. After toeing them in where they visually look to be slightly overlapping (contrasted to the T7's where I could see a bit of the inside side of the speaker), it tightened things up perfectly. I can now just catch a glimpse of the inside back corner of the top plastic piece when I sit dead neutral (I'll have to take pictures to better explain this).

The bass is tremendous sounding. I haven't yet pushed their output, but clarity is exceptional. In fact, having just come from the T7s, the main differences are improved dynamic range, bass output/clarity/extension, and overall speaker clarity. Imaging on the T7's was always exceptional, so I can't say that I perceive a significant difference in that regard.

After finding the T1's optimal placement (only a bit further back from where I had the T7s - maybe 8 inches or so), I finalized mounting the GIK 244's for the 1st and 2nd order side wall reflections along with the first order ceiling reflections. They did a great job further enhancing the imaging.
robert9674 likes this.

post #4426 of 4653 Old 02-28-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Hey! I am very much! I picked them up this past Friday - had a good chat with Bjorn and Neil. In fact, Neil and I went off to play while Bjorn caught up with Roger (I think you briefly met Roger at the GE demo). I got to hear the new SVS SB16 Ultra - goodness - I'll have to get a pair of those soon.

I'm giving myself a bit more time to form my final thoughts, but they're fantastic thus far. The one learning is that I had to toe them in a bit more aggressively than my T7s to get them to image like a razor. Don't get me wrong, they were imaging pretty well with little adjustment, but not as well as I knew they could. After toeing them in where they visually look to be slightly overlapping (contrasted to the T7's where I could see a bit of the inside side of the speaker), it tightened things up perfectly. I can now just catch a glimpse of the inside back corner of the top plastic piece when I sit dead neutral (I'll have to take pictures to better explain this).

The bass is tremendous sounding. I haven't yet pushed their output, but clarity is exceptional. In fact, having just come from the T7s, the main differences are improved dynamic range, bass output/clarity/extension, and overall speaker clarity. Imaging on the T7's was always exceptional, so I can't say that I perceive a significant difference in that regard.

After finding the T1's optimal placement (only a bit further back from where I had the T7s - maybe 8 inches or so), I finalized mounting the GIK 244's for the 1st and 2nd order side wall reflections along with the first order ceiling reflections. They did a great job further enhancing the imaging.
I had no doubt you would very much enjoy the Triton 1. They never fail to impress me with all types of music and movies at all volume levels.

Btw, I recently added a PS Audio Directstream DAC which took the loudspeakers to an even higher level of sonic bliss. This DAC is a perfect match.
post #4427 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't why you think that I was being defensive, nor do I understand why you are going on the offensive...but you are entitled to think what you like. If you want more specifics then you should contact Sandy and ask him...he is approachable. But I will reiterate, my opinion is because the speakers were designed at different times in Sandy's career, they may be similar designs but they are different, and they are using different and newer components. If you don't think that this might contribute to a more reliable product, then once again, you are entitled to think what you like.

Once again, I have not had any problems with my 1's not have I heard of any troublesome trends and I follow these threads. You, yourself, have stated that you are not seeing any issues, during your online research...maybe that should be telling you something.

I love my 1's!

Marantz AV8802A | Wyred 4 Sound (500W X 3, 250W X 2) | Marantz MM7025 (140W X 2) | Oppo UDP-203 | ATV3 | Popcorn Hour V-Ten | LG OLED 65E6P | MiniDSP DDRC-88A | Oppo PM1 | APC H-15 power conditioners (x2)
GoldenEar Triton 1's (FL & FR) | SuperCenter XL (C) | Aon 2's (SL & SR) | SuperSat 3's (FHL & FHR) | SVS PB13-Ultra
post #4428 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I had no doubt you would very much enjoy the Triton 1. They never fail to impress me with all types of music and movies at all volume levels.

Btw, I recently added a PS Audio Directstream DAC which took the loudspeakers to an even higher level of sonic bliss. This DAC is a perfect match.
Fancy! I bet it sounds great! I'd like to get an MQA capable DAC at some point, but will give it a bit more time to mature and more products to be released. Ideally, I'd like to go the pre / pro option so I don't have to keep unplugging speaker cables when I want to switch between the Marantz AVR and Parasound Integrated. It's only a minor inconvenience, though...

I listened to the T1's more last night - wowza, truly incredible. Once I got them dialed in just right, it became astounding how great they sound for the money. Where I was initially unhappy with their imaging, getting them properly toed in created such razor sharp imaging with fantastic clarity - certainly (and better!) exceed the T7's. I plan to write a bit more in my thread soon, but wanted to give myself time to run through various genres. I ended my night with Dark Side of the Moon. It had been a while since I listened to that album and it was almost as trippy as listening to the 5.1 mix - but in stereo only this time. Lastly, none of the harshness around some of David Gilmour's guitar solos was present, which I can't say for many other speakers I've heard in the past.
robert9674 and captainbrent like this.

post #4429 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fancy! I bet it sounds great! I'd like to get an MQA capable DAC at some point, but will give it a bit more time to mature and more products to be released. Ideally, I'd like to go the pre / pro option so I don't have to keep unplugging speaker cables when I want to switch between the Marantz AVR and Parasound Integrated. It's only a minor inconvenience, though...

I listened to the T1's more last night - wowza, truly incredible. Once I got them dialed in just right, it became astounding how great they sound for the money. Where I was initially unhappy with their imaging, getting them properly toed in created such razor sharp imaging with fantastic clarity - certainly (and better!) exceed the T7's. I plan to write a bit more in my thread soon, but wanted to give myself time to run through various genres. I ended my night with Dark Side of the Moon. It had been a while since I listened to that album and it was almost as trippy as listening to the 5.1 mix - but in stereo only this time. Lastly, none of the harshness around some of David Gilmour's guitar solos was present, which I can't say for many other speakers I've heard in the past.
how much of a toe in are you doing?
post #4430 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
how much of a toe in are you doing?
I mentioned this in an earlier post:

"I'm giving myself a bit more time to form my final thoughts, but they're fantastic thus far. The one learning is that I had to toe them in a bit more aggressively than my T7s to get them to image like a razor. Don't get me wrong, they were imaging pretty well with little adjustment, but not as well as I knew they could. After toeing them in where they visually look to be slightly overlapping (contrasted to the T7's where I could see a bit of the inside side of the speaker), it tightened things up perfectly. I can now just catch a glimpse of the inside back corner of the top plastic piece when I sit dead neutral (I'll have to take pictures to better explain this)."

post #4431 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok thanks can't wait to see pics

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #4432 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I mentioned this in an earlier post:

"I'm giving myself a bit more time to form my final thoughts, but they're fantastic thus far. The one learning is that I had to toe them in a bit more aggressively than my T7s to get them to image like a razor. Don't get me wrong, they were imaging pretty well with little adjustment, but not as well as I knew they could. After toeing them in where they visually look to be slightly overlapping (contrasted to the T7's where I could see a bit of the inside side of the speaker), it tightened things up perfectly. I can now just catch a glimpse of the inside back corner of the top plastic piece when I sit dead neutral (I'll have to take pictures to better explain this)."
Hi

Just curious-how far apart are they and how far do you sit from them?

I have mine about 9 feet apart and I sit 10 feet from them, I have them toed in so they basically cross behind my head. I can see the whole inside side of the speakers when at the mlp. I have tried them toed in enough so I can't see the inside side and only see the front but I didn't perceive any difference in sound, though it could just be my untrained ears or that they are closer together than the distance I sit to them. I do sometimes hear placement of instruments that don't sound like they are coming from the left, right or center image but kinda of hang somewhere in between.

So another question is what specific tracks are you listening to to dial in the stage?

I guess the further apart they are one would have to toe them in more.... anyway thanks
post #4433 of 4653 Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Hi

Just curious-how far apart are they and how far do you sit from them?

I have mine about 9 feet apart and I sit 10 feet from them, I have them toed in so they basically cross behind my head. I can see the whole inside side of the speakers when at the mlp. I have tried them toed in enough so I can't see the inside side and only see the front but I didn't perceive any difference in sound, though it could just be my untrained ears or that they are closer together than the distance I sit to them. I do sometimes hear placement of instruments that don't sound like they are coming from the left, right or center image but kinda of hang somewhere in between.

So another question is what specific tracks are you listening to to dial in the stage?

I guess the further apart they are one would have to toe them in more.... anyway thanks
The speakers are 9.5' away from each other and 9' away from the MLP. In the photos below, you can look towards the top, inside speaker and see the top plastic piece sticking out just a tad. That's what I see when I keep my head right in the center. I'm still concealing all the wires...work in progress. The SuperCenter XXL will go in later this month - saving something for our upcoming anniversary, lol.

As for source music, gosh - I listen to all kinds, but here are my go-to's when setting up a system. In these songs, I look for extremely strong, sharp imaging - vocals should be dead center:
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley
  • Frank Sinatra - Drinking Again
  • Michael Buble - Georgia On My Mind
  • Brenna Whitaker - My Heart Cries For You
  • Black Foxxes - I'm Not Well (this one starts with a very small soundstage and explodes, really neat sounding)
  • Jerry Douglas, Mumford & Sons, Paul Simon - The Boxer

robert9674 likes this.

post #4434 of 4653 Old 03-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
The speakers are 9.5' away from each other and 9' away from the MLP. In the photos below, you can look towards the top, inside speaker and see the top plastic piece sticking out just a tad. That's what I see when I keep my head right in the center. I'm still concealing all the wires...work in progress. The SuperCenter XXL will go in later this month - saving something for our upcoming anniversary, lol.

As for source music, gosh - I listen to all kinds, but here are my go-to's when setting up a system. In these songs, I look for extremely strong, sharp imaging - vocals should be dead center:
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan - Tin Pan Alley
  • Frank Sinatra - Drinking Again
  • Michael Buble - Georgia On My Mind
  • Brenna Whitaker - My Heart Cries For You
  • Black Foxxes - I'm Not Well (this one starts with a very small soundstage and explodes, really neat sounding)
  • Jerry Douglas, Mumford & Sons, Paul Simon - The Boxer

Cool thanks. I'll have to give some of those a listen- Tin Pan Alley is one of my favorites
Yeah it looks like yours are toed in about the same as mine maybe and inch or two more, awesome set up congrats and enjoy!
austin85 likes this.
post #4435 of 4653 Old 03-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Questions For Sandy (And Others)

Hi Sandy. Thank you for participating here. I am about to graduate from a rudimentary Boston Acoustics system, (Left and right speakers are at least 25 years old; center speaker is about 10 years old) to your Triton series and a center channel speaker and have some questions. My living room is approximately 14' x 19' (but 3' of the 19' are behind where the speakers will be placed). The speakers will be to either side of a wall unit that is 9' 2" wide. The room has a thin wall-to-wall carpet. About 6' to the left of my left ear when I listen to music is an opening to a 10' x 12' dining room. My TV and Blu-ray player are new, but my ears are not (69 years old)! The system will be used more for music and T.V. than for movies, but I do love good sound when we watch a movie. My questions are:

1. Would the Triton 3+ be enough for my situation? My current listening triangle is about 12' x 12' x 12', but I think I will shrink that area to a 10' or 11' feet triangle for the new speakers. Also, the left speaker would be about 12"-18" away from a forced air heating duct. Would that be a problem?

2. Which center channel speaker would you recommend and where should it be placed? I have a real problem with this. Presently. the center speaker is resting on top of the wall unit, which is 5'8" high. The TV is underneath, in the main cavity of the wall unit. Am I correct that it is preferable for a center speaker to be below the TV? Unfortunately, I just miss being able to fit the smallest of your centers in the compartments below the TV. The width of each compartment is 18 1/2." I believe that the smallest of your centers is 20" wide? I thought about using one of the SuperSats directly below the TV, resting on the bottom of its cavity platform, but there is only 2 1/2 " of height available. Are the Aons suitable for use as a center channel speaker with the Triton 3+, 2+ or 5? The Aon 2 would fit in the compartment below the TV, and I might be able to adjust the height of the compartment to fit the Aon 3. It seems as if I have to choose between a center channel speaker in an undesirable location (top of wall unit, well above ear-level) or a speaker not intended for center channel use in a good location. I hope that I've got this figured incorrectly. Please advise.

3. Would my present A/V receiver be ok for these speakers? It's a Yamaha 467 model from 2011 with 105 watts/channel and 4 HDMI ports.

Thank you very much for your help. I'd certainly welcome the views of other members of this forum as well. I'm a newbie to audiophile equipment, so this is an exciting journey.
post #4436 of 4653 Old 03-05-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Greetings. I'd like to chime in. Owner of T1's since August 2016. My pair appeared to have a faulty internal amp that would result in overcooked bass and muddy sound. I barely had the gain dial on no more than 1/4 up. All I could stand. Was in a conversation with one of GE's sales rep and he stated a similar anomaly happened one other time. Thats it. So they sent me new amps.

Exchanged myself. Bass fixed.

After living with these for about 7 months now I have a pretty good feel for them. Attributes & negatives. Originally paired with a Parasound Halo Integrated but later sold it and now use a McIntosh setup. MC452. Total overkill. 'Maybe' more detail with the new amp?

T1's are punchy and detailed and clarity is unreal to my ears. I like to listen loud and only if pushed too much (450 watt amp) does it get a tad harsh. But honestly most speakers can't play that.

I love acoustic music with intimate detail and the T1's are awesome with that. They sound rich...I compared to some higher $$ B&Ws and felt they were just not as engaging. I'm sure knowing their cost played a role as I was probably expecting more.

Classical music and Symphonies sound large. I love how the sound truly feels like it's coming from a higher plane. I'm not really saying that like I want hehehe.

Rock sounds amazing as you can rip these Mothers.

Negatives. One disclaimer. I recently had an ear procedure and every high frequency since sounds super OVER detailed. Its like having someone crackle leaves in your ears! Its getting better but whoa for awhile their I had the treble at the lowest level instead of flat. I can hear better than Dogs now....

But my hearing is now 20/20 and truthfully I need to tame this setup. To be fair its the same in my Lexus that has a Mark Levinson system.

I am in the process of auditioning a McIntosh Tube preamp. Think that may smooth things out a bit and I listen to a lot of vinyl.

I really don't feel there are too many negatives to list. I think one would be hard pressed to find a pair of speakers that do SO MUCH WELL & GREAT. Even if one didn't know these 'only' cost $5K; they sound like $10K speakers.

For true 2 channel use these are simply amazing. I'm sure the new Reference T1's will improve some areas..but how much in real world use remains to be seen.

I came from a Home Theater setup last year to these. I now have an AVR that I run with the preamp in Bypass mode.

As great as these built in subs are in the T1's; for what I had (Dual SVS subs with dual 12 inch drivers in each) towers just can't produce that tactile -couch moving LFE sound. And thats ok. Plenty of bass. All good.

Down the road I'm sure I'll return to a 7.2 setup and still keep a dedicated 2 channel room.

Oh I too have mine towed in a bit.

Very pleased. So many attributes and not enough negatives to truly mention.

Sorry for the long post. My second cup of coffee took over.
captainbrent likes this.
post #4437 of 4653 Old 03-05-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

QQ for T1 owners what position do you keep your subwoofer knob on the T1?

Sony A1E
Triton one
post #4438 of 4653 Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I keep mine at 12 o'clock Half way....
post #4439 of 4653 Old 03-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
QQ for T1 owners what position do you keep your subwoofer knob on the T1?
Mine are at 10 o'clock but the setting will depend on various factors, not the least of which is, personal preference.

By the way, I don't think of them as subwoofers...I consider them powered bass sections, very capable ones!
Tim Glover likes this.

post #4440 of 4653 Old 03-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I think you will find that there will always be failures of electronics from time to time. I'll bet it's a very small percentage of overall units in the field though as it's much more probable for someone to post about a problem than anything else. Crossovers, drivers, and amps (in those with powered sections) have failed in every brand out there. I know I've seen the same type information you came across for my own speakers (Polk RT2000P) which happen to also be one of Sandy's powered designs. I purchased my speakers new in 1997 and they are still going strong 20 years later. I have a rather large room to fill, so they don't get babied either as well as they are an integral part of my TV system so they get used virtually every day . The more important question might be how well does the company take care of such issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170223_175551.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	2009937  

Roger
System: Denon AVR-4520CI, Polk RT2000P Mains, CS350 Center, LS F/X Surrounds, SVS PC13 Ultra Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 Blu Ray, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable, UVerse DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page