GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 149 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 505Likes

post #4441 of 4455 Old 03-06-2017, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
QQ for T1 owners what position do you keep your subwoofer knob on the T1?
Mine are at 10 o clock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 4455 Old 03-06-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Mine are at 1 o'clock. As mentioned, your settings should be based on taste + your room. For instance, I suspect mine are a bit hotter because of the substantial bass trapping I deployed. 1 o'clock nets me a pretty flat response (maybe just a slight bit hot). Really, for the price we all paid for our equipment, invest in a MiniDSP mic and stand and perform measurements via REW. I'm confident that anyone not running this is not getting the best results with their speakers (and subs) (especially if you have flexibility with speaker placement and listening location).

Austin A's Dedicated Theater Build

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
post #4443 of 4455 Old 03-06-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
Mine are at 1 o'clock. As mentioned, your settings should be based on taste + your room. For instance, I suspect mine are a bit hotter because of the substantial bass trapping I deployed. 1 o'clock nets me a pretty flat response (maybe just a slight bit hot). Really, for the price we all paid for our equipment, invest in a MiniDSP mic and stand and perform measurements via REW. I'm confident that anyone not running this is not getting the best results with their speakers (and subs) (especially if you have flexibility with speaker placement and listening location).
hmm i have Audy xt32 calibration built in. Would that do the trick?

post #4444 of 4455 Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
hmm i have Audy xt32 calibration built in. Would that do the trick?
I (and many on this forum) are not fans of Audyssey for reasons noted below (I posted this a while back). Also, it doesn't allow you to take measurements in multiple spots, compare them, etc. It's more of a "I have my speakers here...now EQ them." It won't tell you if they're placed best to the room. The most effective way to do this is via REW and a calibration mic. Trust me, it's worth its weight in gold.

I heard a while back that there are two methods typically used when EQ'ing speakers via a Home Theater Geeks podcast episode about Dirac:
EQ just low frequencies (e.g., 200Hz and below) to account for room modes.
EQ entire frequency band to account for the room and achieve a flat response.

Audyssey (at least my/older versions) EQ's the entire frequency band, which adjusts the low end to account for room modes - perhaps a great thing so as long as it doesn't boost the signal to account for nulls. It also adjusts the mid and high frequencies and, from what I understand, is essentially making the speaker do things it's not intended to do since that frequency range isn't much impacted by the room (i.e., changing the speaker itself vs. accounting for the room). This is why I (and likely many of you) do not like how Audyssey makes my speakers sound (especially for music).

I know EQ's like Dirac allow you to treat just a set frequency range, which is ideal so that you can EQ out some of the peaks that subs (in our case, the Tritons) will produce due to room modes. I'd imagine that most/all of us would agree that treating the sound in this manner is a marked improvement, but there aren't a ton of processors with that specific capability.

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
post #4445 of 4455 Old 03-06-2017, 07:46 PM

FYI, update made to my thread regarding the Triton One. Link below...
mbroadus likes this.

post #4446 of 4455 Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Thanks for the interesting read. Good to see the T7's get some love as they seem to be the little brother everyone forgets about. I would definitely make the move to T1'S if I had a dedicated theater.
post #4447 of 4455 Old 03-11-2017, 03:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Congrats on g thing the Triton 1s!
austin85 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #4448 of 4455 Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Repose to Your Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteach1 View Post
Hi Sandy. Thank you for participating here. I am about to graduate from a rudimentary Boston Acoustics system, (Left and right speakers are at least 25 years old; center speaker is about 10 years old) to your Triton series and a center channel speaker and have some questions. My living room is approximately 14' x 19' (but 3' of the 19' are behind where the speakers will be placed). The speakers will be to either side of a wall unit that is 9' 2" wide. The room has a thin wall-to-wall carpet. About 6' to the left of my left ear when I listen to music is an opening to a 10' x 12' dining room. My TV and Blu-ray player are new, but my ears are not (69 years old)! The system will be used more for music and T.V. than for movies, but I do love good sound when we watch a movie. My questions are:

1. Would the Triton 3+ be enough for my situation? My current listening triangle is about 12' x 12' x 12', but I think I will shrink that area to a 10' or 11' feet triangle for the new speakers. Also, the left speaker would be about 12"-18" away from a forced air heating duct. Would that be a problem?

2. Which center channel speaker would you recommend and where should it be placed? I have a real problem with this. Presently. the center speaker is resting on top of the wall unit, which is 5'8" high. The TV is underneath, in the main cavity of the wall unit. Am I correct that it is preferable for a center speaker to be below the TV? Unfortunately, I just miss being able to fit the smallest of your centers in the compartments below the TV. The width of each compartment is 18 1/2." I believe that the smallest of your centers is 20" wide? I thought about using one of the SuperSats directly below the TV, resting on the bottom of its cavity platform, but there is only 2 1/2 " of height available. Are the Aons suitable for use as a center channel speaker with the Triton 3+, 2+ or 5? The Aon 2 would fit in the compartment below the TV, and I might be able to adjust the height of the compartment to fit the Aon 3. It seems as if I have to choose between a center channel speaker in an undesirable location (top of wall unit, well above ear-level) or a speaker not intended for center channel use in a good location. I hope that I've got this figured incorrectly. Please advise.

3. Would my present A/V receiver be ok for these speakers? It's a Yamaha 467 model from 2011 with 105 watts/channel and 4 HDMI ports.

Thank you very much for your help. I'd certainly welcome the views of other members of this forum as well. I'm a newbie to audiophile equipment, so this is an exciting journey.
Hi, In terms of whether the Triton Three+ will be enough, this would relate a lot to your personal listening: to what specific programming and how loud? The Three+ will do a good job, the Two+ better., especially with very dynamic movies. I don't think the air duct is a problem. Yes, the Aons would work very well as a center channel. I think your current receiver will be plenty of power. All the Best, Sandy
post #4449 of 4455 Old 03-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Answer to Your Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro1100 View Post
You're sounding a bit defensive. I've got an open mind, you should too. If you can't do that, well I'm not going to engage a back and forth. But I'll post this for the sake of clarity.

"research". I told you I just came across some vids made by consumers that had trouble with a specific design. I'm not going to do a dissertation. If that's been their experience with power woofer tower design, their experience is a legitimate perspective.

In terms of "different times, different designs" and "different components", what I came across were people either issuing caution to people considering DefTec specific models or towers with an integrated sub design in general. All were recently uploaded and in regards to newer models.
I thought I was clear when I noted "If this isn't prone to happen with the Triton's, why?" If it wasn't clear, it is to infer that I haven't seen a slew of such complaints about crossovers and/or amp failures with the powered Tritons (only 1). And it's also to point out that I'm inquiring not only if anyone has had/heard of such issues with the Tritons and simply haven't posted about it, but also to know if GEt has overcome obstacles that DefTec hasn't in similar designs, how did they do that?

I think it's a legitimate inquiry, though I'll respect that you do not. I like GEt's sound and Gross has built a great reputation over there for customer service from what I've read. I'm not running down a product line; and yes, I own GEt products. But I'm not blindly loyal to any brand, and we're not talking about buying popsicles here...these are expensive units. And if I'm looking at buying a car from manufacturer 'A', who uses a similar engine design to manufacturer 'B'; the latter having a lot of reliability issues and the former not so much...well, while some would simply shrug and say "They must have done it better" and walk away, I'm the customer that wants to know, "What did you do differently under the hood to make that happen?" Not asking for a reveal of proprietary secrets, just as a person who's interested in how things work, I would want to know what's different there (especially when building a system that, based around those powered towers, will be running over $8000...Canadian)
Hi, GoldenEar is not Definitive, nor are our designs the same. I can't comment on your comments regarding Definitive reliability. I have been gone from there for almost ten years. Our designs are all new and fresh. I would like to be able to say that we have achieved 100% reliability for ever, but no one has, realistically. We stand behind our products, and honor warranties, even when due to obvious customer abuse, well beyond the official warranty period. All the Best, Sandy
captainbrent likes this.
post #4450 of 4455 Old 03-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, In terms of whether the Triton Three+ will be enough, this would relate a lot to your personal listening: to what specific programming and how loud? The Three+ will do a good job, the Two+ better., especially with very dynamic movies. I don't think the air duct is a problem. Yes, the Aons would work very well as a center channel. I think your current receiver will be plenty of power. All the Best, Sandy
Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your help.
post #4451 of 4455 Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I had a silly but amusing thought come into my head. I wonder what would happen if someone had a 7.2.4 system where all 11 speakers (including 4 ceiling speakers) were Triton References. Yes, get those heavy towers rigged up there with rope, beams, or whatever. Set them all to "Large" in the bass management. Then set subwoofers to "yes". I remember Sandy mentioning that one of his customers bought 7 T1's, so it's not completely unheard of.
post #4452 of 4455 Old 03-18-2017, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am going to use HTR 7000's in ceiling for my ATMOS speakers and in wall as my surround speakers. I have been able to find how to orient the ATMOS speakers, but I am not sure how to orient the surrounds. Due to room constraints, the side surrounds will be parallel to the MLP and about 6 feet away and the rear surrounds will be about 8 feet behind the MLP but only about 4 feet apart again due to room constraints. I am trying to determine the best way to orient the spears as they are directional. Has anyone else used them this way or have any recommendations other than trial and error? I've searched for similar situations, but have not been able to find anything.
post #4453 of 4455 Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

Orienting In Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontesea View Post
I am going to use HTR 7000's in ceiling for my ATMOS speakers and in wall as my surround speakers. I have been able to find how to orient the ATMOS speakers, but I am not sure how to orient the surrounds. Due to room constraints, the side surrounds will be parallel to the MLP and about 6 feet away and the rear surrounds will be about 8 feet behind the MLP but only about 4 feet apart again due to room constraints. I am trying to determine the best way to orient the spears as they are directional. Has anyone else used them this way or have any recommendations other than trial and error? I've searched for similar situations, but have not been able to find anything.
Hi, Normally, HTR 7000s will be too deep for installation in walls and are almost always used in ceilings. I would recommend Invisa MPX for your in-wall surrounds and have them about ear height and oriented vertically. All the Best Sandy
post #4454 of 4455 Old Today, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the response. I'll double check the depth of the walls. If I do have sufficient room for them, should I aim them upward?
post #4455 of 4455 Old Today, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontesea View Post
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the response. I'll double check the depth of the walls. If I do have sufficient room for them, should I aim them upward?
Hi, Honestly, If you can put MPXs vertically at ear height, I would recommend those. Thanks, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page