GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 515Likes
post #4471 of 4496 Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post
The -3 db point is where you can begin to hear the drop off (in terms of loudness). So if you play a sweeping tone from 20hz to 20khz at reference volume (105db peaks, very loud), at 20hz you will probably hear nothing at all from these speakers. As you approach 49HZ, you also approach the target volume. Same at the other end of the frequency sweep. If the upper -3 db limit is 20khz and assuming you can hear that high a frequency (doubtful), it will be at that point that the volume will begin to fall off noticeably. Crossover frequency therefore is usually set a bit above the -3db point to attempt a seamless "crossover" to the sub woofer. You can cross over higher than that, but normally you would cross at the lowest possible seamless point to help prevent localization of bass notes (ability to locate where the bass notes come from). I currently have towers that the -3db point is 36hz and I have them crossed to my sub at 40hz.

Hi Roger. Thank you for that thorough explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 4496 Old 04-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post
Hi Roger. Thank you for that thorough explanation.

You're welcome. I edited my original post on the previous page. You may want to read the additional comments I wrote there.

Roger
System: Denon AVR-4520CI, Polk RT2000P Mains, CS350 Center, LS F/X Surrounds, SVS PC13 Ultra Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-105 Blu Ray, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable, UVerse DVR.
post #4473 of 4496 Old 04-09-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a happy owner of GE products since last fall. I own a 5.1 system with Triton 5's (fronts), a supercenter XL, and two Aon 3's (for surrounds). My sub, at the moment, is an SVS SB12, which I had in my old system with budget pioneer speakers. My AVR is a Denon 4520. I picked the T5's over the active Tritons because it seemed like a simpler configuration, I figured I would get a sub or two down-the-road that would match the quality output of the GE's I now possess (thereby making up for any bass deficiency in comparison to, say, the Triton 2+), and especially this--the midrange drivers are larger than any of the Triton midrange drivers, whether active or passive Tritons (which I guess I equated with "better" in some sense--perhaps fuller?). I need some conceptual help here so I can understand more what I'm hearing.

I've been fiddling with the AVR crossovers for a while, now (between my speakers and sub). I keep switching back and forth between 60 and 80 for the longest of time and I'm still not sure which I like better. I'm wondering what the frequency range is on the drivers of my speakers. I know the overall range, based on the literature, of each speaker, but I don't know the range between the drivers. For example--what's the frequency range of the mids and where does that start bleeding into the passive radiators? I ask because I'm curious just how much I'm losing from the radiators when my crossover is at 80 compared to 60. How much am I losing with the T5's compared to the Aon 3's? I wish there were tones that I could play through the system that covered a range of frequencies so I could really nail down what's being outputted by the speakers vs. the sub. To this day, I really don't know exactly what sounds I should be listening for in the various ranges (e.g., what's the frequency range of an electric bass on a good rock song?). Just asking for a little education from my fellow GoldenEar friends. I've had way too much caffeine way too late in the day, so... sorry for the rambling!!

Here's a review that shows the measurements of the T5's individual drivers and the PRs:http://www.stereophile.com/content/g...pcLpUizhiSZ.97

But you don't have to worry about the drivers themselves because the PRs cannot be turned off and are still part of the system.

The question of crossover frequency has been much discussed and debated, and the general rule is 80Hz, but the difference between 80 or 60 here isn't much. If you like to play music loudly, then I'd go with 80. If you play at moderate or low volumes, 60 might be better. Why? As you turn up the volume control, a smaller driver has to work considerably harder than a larger driver.

Your room, not your speakers as much, will determine how to crossover your speakers. Some rooms take the T5s down well into the 30Hz range, while very large rooms might need way more subwoofer power to get the same result as the very small room.

You can buy a $100 microphone and download free software (REW) to play test tones and take some measurements. That's really the best way to find out not only which crossover setting makes sense, but it will also allows you to find the best location of your speakers and subs.
HTNUT1975 likes this.

post #4474 of 4496 Old 04-10-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hi group, if there was a dealer that had open box/demo T2's and T3's for sale, what would be your target price? Without knowing 100% facts, you might assume these have been on the floor for a couple years.
post #4475 of 4496 Old 04-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post
hi group, if there was a dealer that had open box/demo T2's and T3's for sale, what would be your target price? Without knowing 100% facts, you might assume these have been on the floor for a couple years.
For the two's I'd probably shoot for the $1200/$1300 a piece range, probably make a stand at $1200 but end up doing $1300 if there was no movement. The three's I'd try to get them for right around $1000 especially since when I bought my sevens I demoed the threes and they really didn't sound that much better to me, even though they have powered subwoofers. I really adore my sevens and they were $750 a piece.
post #4476 of 4496 Old 04-10-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
Here's a review that shows the measurements of the T5's individual drivers and the PRs:http://www.stereophile.com/content/g...pcLpUizhiSZ.97

But you don't have to worry about the drivers themselves because the PRs cannot be turned off and are still part of the system.

The question of crossover frequency has been much discussed and debated, and the general rule is 80Hz, but the difference between 80 or 60 here isn't much. If you like to play music loudly, then I'd go with 80. If you play at moderate or low volumes, 60 might be better. Why? As you turn up the volume control, a smaller driver has to work considerably harder than a larger driver.

Your room, not your speakers as much, will determine how to crossover your speakers. Some rooms take the T5s down well into the 30Hz range, while very large rooms might need way more subwoofer power to get the same result as the very small room.

You can buy a $100 microphone and download free software (REW) to play test tones and take some measurements. That's really the best way to find out not only which crossover setting makes sense, but it will also allows you to find the best location of your speakers and subs.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually think it may align with my experience (i.e, when louder, cross it at 80). As far as the frequencies go with the drivers/radiators--I asked that more so I could get a better conceptual idea of what is doing what.

post #4477 of 4496 Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
For the two's I'd probably shoot for the $1200/$1300 a piece range, probably make a stand at $1200 but end up doing $1300 if there was no movement. The three's I'd try to get them for right around $1000 especially since when I bought my sevens I demoed the threes and they really didn't sound that much better to me, even though they have powered subwoofers. I really adore my sevens and they were $750 a piece.
thanks for the thoughts. Yeah, the comparison to the new speakers was my next Q, too. I guess comparing the 7's to the used 3's would be good to do.
ma1746 likes this.
post #4478 of 4496 Old 04-11-2017, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post
T2s have frequently selling for around $1500-1700 a pair from private sellers and dealers. There was allot of inventory for a month or so when the T2+ came out.
post #4479 of 4496 Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
T2s have frequently selling for around $1500-1700 a pair from private sellers and dealers. There was allot of inventory for a month or so when the T2+ came out.
Hi,can you give some imformation of the private sellers to me? I want to buy a supercenter XXL, If they can be shipped to China.
post #4480 of 4496 Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm looking for some feedback on a speaker upgrade on my 5:2 system. I currently have T7's front, SCX center, SS3 rear and two FF3's in a (small) 12'x14'x8' room. I'm 60/40 music/movies and have many SACD, DVD Audio and blu-ray music that sound terrific on this system, but listen mostly 2 channel. I'm thinking of upgrading to the T5's and using the T7's as a trade in, dealer will give me $570. I have auditioned the 5's and hear a more focused and detailed midrange, wider and deeper soundstage especially with vocals, and they play much louder. I love my 7's but the 5's are calling out my name. I guess I'm trying to validate the $ hit in my mind, but my ears are saying, why not. I know the 2's would be more of an upgrade but can't swing the cost at this time and the speaker footprint could be problematic. Would love to hear from past 7 owners who now have the 5's. Thanks
post #4481 of 4496 Old 04-24-2017, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger View Post
I'm looking for some feedback on a speaker upgrade on my 5:2 system. I currently have T7's front, SCX center, SS3 rear and two FF3's in a (small) 12'x14'x8' room. I'm 60/40 music/movies and have many SACD, DVD Audio and blu-ray music that sound terrific on this system, but listen mostly 2 channel. I'm thinking of upgrading to the T5's and using the T7's as a trade in, dealer will give me $570. I have auditioned the 5's and hear a more focused and detailed midrange, wider and deeper soundstage especially with vocals, and they play much louder. I love my 7's but the 5's are calling out my name. I guess I'm trying to validate the $ hit in my mind, but my ears are saying, why not. I know the 2's would be more of an upgrade but can't swing the cost at this time and the speaker footprint could be problematic. Would love to hear from past 7 owners who now have the 5's. Thanks

Under $600 - I would do it. The 5s are going to be better, and you've realized this yourself.
post #4482 of 4496 Old 04-24-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I would sell the 7s yourself, they usually get 700-900 on the used market. I'm willing to bet it if you priced them at $800 you would sell them in a day or two.
post #4483 of 4496 Unread 05-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlinger

I would sell the 7s yourself, they usually get 700-900 on the used market. I'm willing to bet it if you priced them at $800 you would sell them in a day or two. (Thanks sdolen)

Sold my 7s locally for $840 and purchased the 5s this past Friday and must say the upgrade was well worth it. Even though I loved the 7s the 5s are more detailed with improved clarity, vocals seem to jump from the speakers with vocals more focused toward the center. The soundstage seems to be wider and more 3 dimensional with the same over the top imaging as the 7s, low end is much improved with lower/tighter bass that's more tuneful and balanced. Did I mention they play louder with more slam. I am completely satisfied with this purchase...bravo to Sandy Gross and his engineers. This is truly a great set of speakers for the $ so if anyone is considering moving from the 7s to the 5s you won't be disappointed imo.

I will be living with the 5s for many years to come and considering an integrated amp for two channel music (current a/v receiver, Marantz 6008). My budget is $2500 and here are my three selections so far; Hegel H80 ($2000), Rogue Audio Sphinx ($1400) and the Parasound Halo 160 ($2500). What do think...any other recommendations? Input would be appreciated.
sdolen likes this.
post #4484 of 4496 Unread 05-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I would sell the 7s yourself, they usually get 700-900 on the used market. I'm willing to bet it if you priced them at $800 you would sell them in a day or two. (Thanks sdolen)

Sold my 7s locally for $840 and purchased the 5s this past Friday and must say the upgrade was well worth it. Even though I loved the 7s the 5s are more detailed with improved clarity, vocals seem to jump from the speakers with vocals more focused toward the center. The soundstage seems to be wider and more 3 dimensional with the same over the top imaging as the 7s, low end is much improved with lower/tighter bass that's more tuneful and balanced. Did I mention they play louder with more slam. I am completely satisfied with this purchase...bravo to Sandy Gross and his engineers. This is truly a great set of speakers for the $ so if anyone is considering moving from the 7s to the 5s you won't be disappointed imo.

I will be living with the 5s for many years to come and considering an integrated amp for two channel music (current a/v receiver, Marantz 6008). My budget is $2500 and here are my three selections so far; Hegel H80 ($2000), Rogue Audio Sphinx ($1400) and the Parasound Halo 160 ($2500). What do think...any other recommendations? Input would be appreciated.

I don't have any experience in this area, but there's an excellent stereophile article on the T5's (which I own as well). Great read. I believe the reviewer (his name is Herb Reichert, or something like that) ended up preferring the Simaudio 340i. You can likely find a used one at some point. Check out hifi shark on it (and you can look at sold listings so you can figure out the market for it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4485 of 4496 Unread 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Glad to hear you did well with your sale/upgrade! I recently went from a Rogue Audio 99 Pre/88 Power amp combo to an Audio Research VSI60 Integrated and have been really happy. Even though it could be considered a lateral move, I also added a ARC LP1 Phono Pre at the same time so I felt it was an upgrade. Shortly before that I had the Rogue Sphinx V2 for a few weeks and while it offers allot of sound for the money, it wasn't in the same league as my 99/88 combo. Have you considered the Rogue Cronus Magnum? You can pickup one up used for 1500-1900 depending on V1 or v2 from the usual sites and there are plenty of trade-in's available from dealers as well. I would not hesitate buying used Rogue gear, their support is fantastic.
post #4486 of 4496 Unread 05-16-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post
Glad to hear you did well with your sale/upgrade! I recently went from a Rogue Audio 99 Pre/88 Power amp combo to an Audio Research VSI60 Integrated and have been really happy. Even though it could be considered a lateral move, I also added a ARC LP1 Phono Pre at the same time so I felt it was an upgrade. Shortly before that I had the Rogue Sphinx V2 for a few weeks and while it offers allot of sound for the money, it wasn't in the same league as my 99/88 combo. Have you considered the Rogue Cronus Magnum? You can pickup one up used for 1500-1900 depending on V1 or v2 from the usual sites and there are plenty of trade-in's available from dealers as well. I would not hesitate buying used Rogue gear, their support is fantastic.

Thanks for your suggestions but I need to further explain my situation so please bear with me. First my knowledge of stereo amplifiers is limited in regards to what would be best for my current system. I have a Marantz A/V SR6008 that's powering my 5:2 HT that I want to incorporate into the new amp. I thought that an integrated amp would be best for this type of set up but also wanting to upgrade sound quality for the new 5s for two channel music. It appears that the Parasound Halo 160 has all the necessary power and inputs and has gotten glowing professional reviews but not sure what level of sound improvement to expect. I'm currently looking for a local dealer to audition but am open to recommendations of other brands that would fall within my $2500 limit. What do think about the Hegel H80? Can a tube amp meet my setup needs while staying within my budget or would an integrated amp be a better choice? Also, I have limited space so separates are not an option and not so sure I want to buy used. Thanks.
post #4487 of 4496 Unread 05-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions but I need to further explain my situation so please bear with me. First my knowledge of stereo amplifiers is limited in regards to what would be best for my current system. I have a Marantz A/V SR6008 that's powering my 5:2 HT that I want to incorporate into the new amp. I thought that an integrated amp would be best for this type of set up but also wanting to upgrade sound quality for the new 5s for two channel music. It appears that the Parasound Halo 160 has all the necessary power and inputs and has gotten glowing professional reviews but not sure what level of sound improvement to expect. I'm currently looking for a local dealer to audition but am open to recommendations of other brands that would fall within my $2500 limit. What do think about the Hegel H80? Can a tube amp meet my setup needs while staying within my budget or would an integrated amp be a better choice? Also, I have limited space so separates are not an option and not so sure I want to buy used. Thanks.
Based on your response, the Halo would be a great choice since it has HT bypass and would easily integrate into your current setup. The Hegel would be more difficult to integrate with it's limited connectivity. I went down this path myself and ended up like many just having a separate 2 Channel system. I'm a tube guy so I'm biased. Your on the right track finding somewhere to audition, much better than listening to some random fool on the internet.
post #4488 of 4496 Unread 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Potential Aon2 Ribbon tweeter issue

Hi folks...newbie Goldenear guy here...I just bought for my HT T7's, xxl Center, Aon2 rears and I already had 2 FF5's...

When I run my Anthem arc sweeps for calibration I notice some sort of rattle/vibration from the Aon2's...potentially same sound with arc sweeps with Center, but I need to verify...

Any sense what the rattle could be? Has any one "heard" of this issue before? Any suggestions on how I could remedy? Thanks folks...

Anthem mrx-1120, Panasonic ub900, jvc x950, 120" 2.35 screen, Golden Ear F55 subs (2), atmos 7.2.4
post #4489 of 4496 Unread 05-20-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi folks...newbie Goldenear guy here...I just bought for my HT T7's, xxl Center, Aon2 rears and I already had 2 FF5's...

When I run my Anthem arc sweeps for calibration I notice some sort of rattle/vibration from the Aon2's...potentially same sound with arc sweeps with Center, but I need to verify...

Any sense what the rattle could be? Has any one "heard" of this issue before? Any suggestions on how I could remedy? Thanks folks...
Hi Folks, any thoughts/comments? Thanks

Anthem mrx-1120, Panasonic ub900, jvc x950, 120" 2.35 screen, Golden Ear F55 subs (2), atmos 7.2.4
post #4490 of 4496 Unread 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post

Hi, I am guessing that you might be getting some sort of vibration on the sweeps from very low frequencies. This would have nothing to do with the tweeter. It may possibly occur at very low frequencies at high levels with the sweeps on a small speaker like an Aon 2, especially if the room correction system is trying to equalize for flat response at low frequencies. These are, after all, rather small speakers. Did you purchase your speakers new or used? The center channel would not normally be run full range. Do you notice anything on program material, or only on test tones? Thanks, Sandy

Last edited by goldenear tech; 05-20-2017 at 09:15 PM. Reason: clarification
post #4491 of 4496 Unread 05-21-2017, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I am guessing that you might be getting some sort of vibration on the sweeps from very low frequencies. This would have nothing to do with the tweeter. It may possibly occur at very low frequencies at high levels with the sweeps on a small speaker like an Aon 2, especially if the room correction system is trying to equalize for flat response at low frequencies. These are, after all, rather small speakers. Did you purchase your speakers new or used? The center channel would not normally be run full range. Do you notice anything on program material, or only on test tones? Thanks, Sandy
Thanks kindly for the response...I purchased all the speakers new...I "think" the Center vibration I'm hearing is from the console the speaker sits on but the rattle I'm hearing from the Aon2's is from the speaker...it actually sounds like it's from the ribbon but the sound is hard to describe and I'm not 100 percent that it is the ribbon but definitely somewhere in the speaker...I'm not hearing the rattle on any material, just the sweeps but when watching a movie, I'm crossing over the Center at 60 to my subs and the Aon 2's at 80 to my subs...I have a buddy who has the Aon3's and no rattles with ARC sweeps...

Should I be concerned? Is there anything u can recommend that would definitely tell me if this is a flaw or is there a remedy or is it just because it's a smaller speaker? Thanks again...

EDIT: I also have 4 - 6" cheap ceiling speakers for Atmos and when I run my sweeps with those, no rattle, no issues...

Last edited by asharma; 05-21-2017 at 06:03 AM.
post #4492 of 4496 Unread 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
I have heard the same thing on mine. Mine are on brackets attached to the walls serving as rear speakers. It is very hard to tell what it is but I cannot hear it on any music or movies. I am not totally sure if it is in the speakers or some kind of resonance in the cabinet, brackets or the two interacting with the speaker cabinet. I am very pleased with these as surrounds.

Tim
post #4493 of 4496 Unread 05-22-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy61 View Post
I have heard the same thing on mine. Mine are on brackets attached to the walls serving as rear speakers. It is very hard to tell what it is but I cannot hear it on any music or movies. I am not totally sure if it is in the speakers or some kind of resonance in the cabinet, brackets or the two interacting with the speaker cabinet. I am very pleased with these as surrounds.

Tim
Thanks Tim, appreciate the feedback...what receiver are you using for your calibration sweeps? I'm running an Anthem 1120 with ARC...the sound is hard to describe but it's kinda "ribbony"...

post #4494 of 4496 Unread Yesterday, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1289 Post(s)
Liked: 652
3D Array XL soundbar or SuperSat 50 LCR set up...?

Hello Sandy

Which is "better" for a 50/50 music/movies set up - the 3D Array XL soundbar or three SuperSat 50 speakers for the LCR channels?

I am also looking to use the SuperSat 3 speakers for the rear channels and the SuperSub X for the sub.

Thanks!

Sony A1E or Sony Z9D
Sony X1000 or Oppo 203
Sony HT-ST5000 or GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL
post #4495 of 4496 Unread Today, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any update on when the Triton Reference will start hitting dealers? I'm getting antsy to get a listen.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 60
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Sources: Oppo 203, PS4 Pro, DirectTV
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4496 of 4496 Unread Today, 08:43 AM

Liked: 28
A local dealer, Gramophone in Towson, MD, had an event a couple of weeks ago showcasing the GE References, their best effort yet. I'd call your local dealer, or if you call GE Sandy might be able to give you a better timeframe.

Kemper Holt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers