GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 152 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 536Likes

post #4531 of 4557 Old 07-14-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I do think it's unfortunate that it only comes in the piano gloss black finish. I might've guessed someone at GE would question whether everyone who uses these in an HT environment will be OK with the reflections they (no doubt, from even these pics) will create from bright video display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 4557 Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I would contact GoldenEar..
Thanks

I contacted both GoldenEar and my dealer. My dealer will be contacting GoldenEar directly.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
post #4533 of 4557 Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3W813 View Post
Thanks

I contacted both GoldenEar and my dealer. My dealer will be contacting GoldenEar directly.
Let us know when you find out what the problem is and the fix.

post #4534 of 4557 Old 07-14-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
I do think it's unfortunate that it only comes in the piano gloss black finish. I might've guessed someone at GE would question whether everyone who uses these in an HT environment will be OK with the reflections they (no doubt, from even these pics) will create from bright video display.
I agree but I assume it was a cost decision and they probably didn't think a sock that large would look all that good. Not everyone likes the sock look and I think they were going for a more upscale look. I am not a fan of piano black gloss finishes on anything due to its high reflectivity and being a dust magnet.
post #4535 of 4557 Old 07-15-2017, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
I agree but I assume it was a cost decision and they probably didn't think a sock that large would look all that good. Not everyone likes the sock look and I think they were going for a more upscale look. I am not a fan of piano black gloss finishes on anything due to its high reflectivity and being a dust magnet.
I have not seen any of the GE stuff in person yet (nearest dealer a very long drive for me) but will look forward to checking-out the product line. And before I purchase I want also to research other mfr speakers that use a folded-ribbon (Heil-designed) tweeter.
post #4536 of 4557 Old 07-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Piano Gloss Black Finish

Quote:
Yes, the decision to do the Reference in piano gloss black was very much a purposeful decision as part of the program to make a more upscale speaker. Not that the sock is not upscale, which it is, but the feeling was that this is more so and has been requested by many. The response to it, along with the Reference in general, has been phenomenal. The word that I am hearing from our dealers and the initial buyers is," Gorgeous". When we showed the T Ref at CES, the over the top positive response to the ID was as strong as that to the performance. I smiled and said, just wait, someone will want it with a sock LOL. The fact of the matter is that this is a much, much more expensive finish to execute and deliver. We felt that it was worthwhile, and so far, our dealers and the market seem to agree. As always, you can't satisfy everyone. If you want a matte finish, you can certainly get Triton Ones, which is also an exceptional speaker, although not quite a T Ref. Also, if you set up the speakers as we recommend, pointing directly at the listener so you can not see the inner side, I believe that will really go a long way in terms of helping, both sonically as well as visually.
We are now shipping T Refs, and have almost sold put the first production runs, which were significant and actually doubled from our initial projections.There are many reviews in process, and I think that you will find the one upcoming in the September issue of The Absolute Sound (out the beginning of August) to be very interesting. Onward and Upward, Sandy
klh007, ma1746 and New24K like this.

Last edited by goldenear tech; 07-15-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: more clarity
post #4537 of 4557 Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The man himself. Great to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
...if you set up the speakers as we recommend, pointing directly at the listener so you can not see the inner side, I believe that will really go a long way in terms of helping, both sonically as well as visually...
It turns-out that my HT room has angled corners already, so this will be wildly easy for me! And if the reflections from the piano gloss distract, I can always rattle-can paint the Refs to Matte Black!

post #4538 of 4557 Old 07-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 388
A quick question: I plan to audition Golden Ear speakers soon, and will decide between the 1's and the Reference for the fronts. My usage is nearly entirely home theater. I'm considering Triton 7's as surrounds, but I'm a bit concerned about distance from the rear of the speakers to the side walls, which must necessarily be close. Will this be a serious issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4539 of 4557 Old 07-16-2017, 11:16 AM

Distance of Speakers from Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
A quick question: I plan to audition Golden Ear speakers soon, and will decide between the 1's and the Reference for the fronts. My usage is nearly entirely home theater. I'm considering Triton 7's as surrounds, but I'm a bit concerned about distance from the rear of the speakers to the side walls, which must necessarily be close. Will this be a serious issue?

Hi, I'm not sure if you are referring to the distance of the front speakers or the surrounds. Also, you mention rear of speaker from the side wall (not rear wall?). In any event, let me address all of this: In terms of the surrounds, are you planning on having them on the sides, which is what it sounds like? I can't see this as an issue. The bass response on the Sevens is quite linear, and especially as surrounds, I can't see this as an problem. In terms of the larger Triton Towers with the built-in subs being near walls, this is one of their advantages. Since you have a level control on the powered bass section, you can tune the bass appropriately for their proximity to walls, and beyond that, to the room size and low frequency characteristics. Onward and Upward, Sandy
post #4540 of 4557 Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi, I'm not sure if you are referring to the distance of the front speakers or the surrounds. Also, you mention rear of speaker from the side wall (not rear wall?). In any event, let me address all of this: In terms of the surrounds, are you planning on having them on the sides, which is what it sounds like? I can't see this as an issue. The bass response on the Sevens is quite linear, and especially as surrounds, I can't see this as an problem. In terms of the larger Triton Towers with the built-in subs being near walls, this is one of their advantages. Since you have a level control on the powered bass section, you can tune the bass appropriately for their proximity to walls, and beyond that, to the room size and low frequency characteristics. Onward and Upward, Sandy

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, the 7's would be positioned on the sidewalls, practically right up against them. I am considering the 3+ as surrounds, as they do have the bass control switch, but the premium for them is considerable, particularly as surrounds. I'll need to give this some more thought, but your input is greatly appreciated.

post #4541 of 4557 Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Sevens vs Triton Three+ as Surrounds

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Yes, the 7's would be positioned on the sidewalls, practically right up against them. I am considering the 3+ as surrounds, as they do have the bass control switch, but the premium for them is considerable, particularly as surrounds. I'll need to give this some more thought, but your input is greatly appreciated.

Hi, Honestly, I think that the Sevens will be great as surrounds. If you got the Three+, you could do a 4 way LFE split into all 4 Tritons. It will be a little tricky getting the LFE level correct for the larger Tritons up front and the Three+ in the back. In terms of Triton One vs Reference, I think that this would be a much better place to indulge, even though more of a premium. I'm not sure where you are, but check with your dealer first to make sure they have T Refs on demo. Sandy
post #4542 of 4557 Old 07-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi, Honestly, I think that the Sevens will be great as surrounds. If you got the Three+, you could do a 4 way LFE split into all 4 Tritons. It will be a little tricky getting the LFE level correct for the larger Tritons up front and the Three+ in the back. In terms of Triton One vs Reference, I think that this would be a much better place to indulge, even though more of a premium. I'm not sure where you are, but check with your dealer first to make sure they have T Refs on demo. Sandy

Food for thought: thanks again!

post #4543 of 4557 Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm pretty much sold on the references and will try to get a pair in August but no later than October. After that I'm probably getting n anthem AVm 60 and some additional GEs for the rear in wall or maybe Triton 7s
llang269 likes this.

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.

Last edited by Ediddy; Yesterday at 05:25 PM.
post #4544 of 4557 Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
I'm pretty much sold on the references and will try to get a pair in August but no later than October. After that I'm probably getting n anthem AVm 60 and some additional GEs for size like the in wall or maybe Triton 7s

Have you auditioned the References? I did, and thought they were fantastic, but I also heard the 1's, and for me, in a predominantly home theater application, there wasn't enough of a difference to justify the significantly extra cost. If money were no object, however, I'd get six references for all the channels and send the LFE signal to all of them: that'd be killer!

post #4545 of 4557 Old 07-24-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Have you auditioned the References? I did, and thought they were fantastic, but I also heard the 1's, and for me, in a predominantly home theater application, there wasn't enough of a difference to justify the significantly extra cost. If money were no object, however, I'd get six references for all the channels and send the LFE signal to all of them: that'd be killer!

Yep I posted my thoughts a couple of weeks ago. It's taking a lot for me to make this decision because I love my 1s bit I do think there is a bit of a gap there. I do mostly HT and sports but I also listen to music and what I heard it's pretty magical. I might have them by next month so I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts.
healthnut likes this.

(2) GoldenEar Triton 1s, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #4546 of 4557 Old 07-25-2017, 07:58 PM

I''m wondering when I got my Triton 1s shortly after the supercenter XXL came out. I'm wondering if a new Center channel is coming out after the release of the references

Last edited by Ediddy; 07-25-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #4547 of 4557 Old 07-26-2017, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

I'm gradually converting my home theater rig to GE. I'm starting with the 5's, got them yesterday, placing them as fronts (they will later go to the rear and be replaced, most likely by the 1's)). They of course, sounded fantastic! Some have mentioned how good GE's sound at low levels, I can heartily attest to this, in some ways, they sound better to me at lower than accustomed volumes. I crossed them at 50hz, but may experiment with a higher crossover (I have 2 big subs). Every other time I've introduced new speakers, I've been disappointed, NOT THIS TIME!

captainbrent and Ediddy like this.
post #4548 of 4557 Old 07-26-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:

Chalk me up for the opposite view.

The piano black is gorgeous.

Sony A1E or Sony Z9D
Sony X1000 or Oppo 203
Sony HT-ST5000 or GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL
post #4549 of 4557 Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
recommendations between 650 Vs MPX\HTR7000

looking for the recommendations to setup the room

I am thinking to get GoldenEar Triton2+, 60C or 50C (center) for the front
for the surround side\back I am debating between GoldenEar 650 Vs MPX
for the Atmos--debating between GoldenEar 650 Vs HTR7000

will be connecting them Denon AVR-X4300

If you can suggest on this that will be a big help.
post #4550 of 4557 Old 07-26-2017, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar106 View Post

forgot add room size is 22'x13' and also need suggestions for the sub
post #4551 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
Yep I posted my thoughts a couple of weeks ago. It's taking a lot for me to make this decision because I love my 1s bit I do think there is a bit of a gap there. I do mostly HT and sports but I also listen to music and what I heard it's pretty magical. I might have them by next month so I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts.
I'd love to hear your thoughts after you get the Reference towers in. All of us 1 owners are probably thinking the same thing, "is the upgrade worthwhile?"

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 60
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4552 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar106 View Post

Kumar,

Have you had a chance to audition any of the GoldenEar speakers you are thinking about yet? I big factor in your decision is probably going to be your budget. Personally, I would put as much into your front soundstage as you can afford. I've personally not heard the Triton 2+ but I imagine they sound fantastic. However, if you plan to add subwoofers beyond what's in the active Triton 2+ you may just want to consider the passive Triton 5's. For the center channel I would suggest you consider the SuperCenter line. The XXL is a FANTASTIC center channel as I'm sure the XL is as well. I would suggest either of these over the 50/60C.

Personally, I am using the SuperSat 3's as side surrounds (space limitation, couldn't do in walls and couldn't do towers). I also had some Aon 2's at one point. The SS3's are serviceable but they don't perform nearly as well as my rear surrounds. If I had the room I'd prefer another set of 5's or even the 7's for my side surrounds. I've never heard the MPX in walls, my local dealer does not have any set up so I can't comment on that.

I have 4 HTR 7000 for my ceiling channels and feel they work very well for Atmos. The sounds are diffuse and hard to localize which is what you want. There isn't any hot spotting when you are sitting on the end of the couch right under them vs in the middle in the sweet spot.

If you get the chance I would recommend a trip to a GoldenEar dealer, hearing your options in person might help you make a more informed decision. Personally, I don't think they make a "bad" speaker so no matter your budget you should be happy.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 60
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4553 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
If I had the room I'd prefer another set of 5's or even the 7's for my side surrounds.
It seems then that you have 5's as your rear channel speakers? I am planning an HT with 1's or Reference as fronts, but then SS speakers for surrounds i.e. it had not occurred to me to consider a Tower as a satellite. I would love to hear your or any others' comments about pros/cons of these as surrounds.

I *think* I have the floor space for towers, but if I do not of course then the sats would have to be wall-mounted SS and I suppose these don't "breathe" as well?
post #4554 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It seems then that you have 5's as your rear channel speakers? I am planning an HT with 1's or Reference as fronts, but then SS speakers for surrounds i.e. it had not occurred to me to consider a Tower as a satellite. I would love to hear your or any others' comments about pros/cons of these as surrounds.

I *think* I have the floor space for towers, but if I do not of course then the sats would have to be wall-mounted SS and I suppose these don't "breathe" as well?

I'm also looking at 1's for the front, I bought a pair of 5's to try out, (using them as fronts right now). I think the SS's would not be good matches for the 1's or especially the References. They would sound thin and lean, especially in the bass. I'm debating whether to match the 1's with either 2's or 3's, and use the LFE input to even out the bass in the room. Scott Wilkinson has said he heard a demo configured this way that sounded very impressive. Sandy Gross has also suggested this. Granted, the 2's or 3's are overkill as surrounds, but using the LFE in this way makes a lot of sense. Another option would be 2 small subs in combination with the SS, but you'd need to properly integrate them with the subs, and it might not be so easy.

post #4555 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm debating whether to match the 1's with either 2's or 3's, and use the LFE input to even out the bass in the room. Scott Wilkinson has said he heard a demo configured this way that sounded very impressive. Sandy Gross has also suggested this.
"use the LFE input to even out the bass"? I don't know what this means.

I dunno the whole product line but I expect that with e.g. Triton Ones as Fronts you would normally connect these to Subwoofer Out from the AVR (having two outputs at least with the one I am considering). If 2s and 3s also have powered subwoofers and corresponding inputs, are you talking splitters from the fronts? And then just adjust levels? I suppose that's it huh.
post #4556 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
"use the LFE input to even out the bass"? I don't know what this means.

I dunno the whole product line but I expect that with e.g. Triton Ones as Fronts you would normally connect these to Subwoofer Out from the AVR (having two outputs at least with the one I am considering). If 2s and 3s also have powered subwoofers and corresponding inputs, are you talking splitters from the fronts? And then just adjust levels? I suppose that's it huh.

Exactly. You would still use the speaker level connections using speaker wire, but you would split the LFE out 4 ways and run the low base to the powered sections of the References (or any of the active, powered Tritons). Would take a bit of fiddling to match the front and surrounds, but they would already be matched to the rest of the tower, in terms of phase, crossover, etc. It's great to have the option with the powered Tritons to do this.

post #4557 of 4557 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
I'd love to hear your thoughts after you get the Reference towers in. All of us 1 owners are probably thinking the same thing, "is the upgrade worthwhile?"
I absolutely will give my thoughts! I really do love my 1s and this wasn't an easy decision. What I'll try to do is listen to some material before I sell my 1s and listen to the same material once I get the references.

The goldenear folks are some of the best people on this forum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page