GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 565Likes

post #4561 of 4653 Old 07-29-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
...I have SuperSat 3's for my side surrounds and then Triton 5 towers as my rear surrounds. The Triton 5's are MUCH more capable than the SuperSat 3's... if you have the powered 1's, 2's or 3's in the front and add another set of powered towers to the rear and run your LFE 4 ways you'll smooth out your bass response in the room (every seat in the house will have the same bass levels, you'll eliminate any nulls you had) but you won't be able to create bass where it never was. By this I mean you still won't be able to get those low below 20Hz frequencies that a large dedicated sub like the SVS SB16 can.
Thanks a lot for your post. In my younger daze I used to be a bass freak and even had Bass Shakers (drivers meant for auto seats I believe) under the floor where my viewing sofa was located. Now I am not so manic about it, but this new HT I am building will likely be the last and so I want to do it right. But I had already viewed the Triton Ones as being "top of the line and top of the budget" and now with the Refs appearing and the sats in question, well I want also to get a decent AVR and a 4K projector as well.

Lots to consider for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 4653 Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Yes you are correct. I have SuperSat 3's for my side surrounds and then Triton 5 towers as my rear surrounds. The Triton 5's are MUCH more capable than the SuperSat 3's. Were it not for the space limitations that I have at the side surround location, I would have a second set of Triton 5's or 7's there. The SuperSat 3's are not a bad "little" speaker, but they are just that, a little speaker and they can't reproduce the full spectrum of sounds that the larger towers are capable of. I use the Anthem AVM60 as my processor and therefore have Anthem Room Correction managing my crossovers. When I run ARC it wants to set the crossover on my SuperSat 3's at 170Hz which is higher than the 120Hz the manual recommends as a crossover. I don't have access to my ARC graphs at the moment to illustrate this, but the graphs clearly show the SS3's drop off significantly below 150Hz compared to the Triton 5's which ARC crosses over at 80Hz. Graphs aside, the SS3's just don't have the robust "full body" sound that the larger Triton 5's do. This shouldn't be a surprise though as it is a $250 satellite speaker vs a $1000 tower speakers. I've never actually heard the Triton 7's, but I imagine they would also likely beat the pants off of the SS3's. Another bonus of using the Triton towers as surrounds is they put the tweeters right at ear level which is where you want them in an Atmos setup, no mounting on walls or stands to deal with.

As for the powered triton towers as surrounds. I am dubious as to how much "extra" bass you'll actually see from it. If you want more or better (i.e. deeper) bass I would personally recommend upgrading to separate subs. I had my Triton 1 towers for more than a year before I decided to upgrade to separate subwoofers (SVS SB16s x 2) and the improvement was substantial. The subwoofer sections in the Triton 1's are no slouch, but they can't hold a candle to a dedicated 16" subwoofer, it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. If I only listened to music I probably never would have made the upgrade to the SVS subs, however I spend the majority of my time in our media room watching movies and playing games. The Triton 1's don't have the muscle to go as deep as the SVS subwoofers do, not even close. I'm hearing (and feeling) bass in movies that I never knew was there when I had just the 1's. I watched Kong Skull Island last night and it was impressive when Kong was on screen smashing around, you could feel the impacts. I did not have that visceral experience with just the ones.

So getting back on point, if you have the powered 1's, 2's or 3's in the front and add another set of powered towers to the rear and run your LFE 4 ways you'll smooth out your bass response in the room (every seat in the house will have the same bass levels, you'll eliminate any nulls you had) but you won't be able to create bass where it never was. By this I mean you still won't be able to get those low below 20Hz frequencies that a large dedicated sub like the SVS SB16 can.

Excellent post! While using the LFE inputs on the powered Tritons won't replace a good, large, dedicated sub, as you've pointed out, (I now have dual PSA V3601's), they should be able to fill the room with a weight and presence in the critical midbass region, where the majority of the film content resides. Dedicated subs can take over from there. If I decide to use the LFE ins (front and back), I was still going to cross them over at 30-40hz and let the big subs take over from that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4563 of 4653 Old 07-29-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
Let us know when you find out what the problem is and the fix.
GoldenEar sent 2 boards to my dealer, and my dealer replaced 2 boards (cross-over and connection) in the T2. My dealer claimed the cross-over board most likely failed. Only cost I had to pay was shipping for the parts both ways.

My ArgyllCMS/MadVR 3DLUT Creation Workflow
My Sharp Elite Movie THX AV Mode Settings
--Aug 2011 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]
--Nov 2012 Set, 2.2 gamma [ link ]

post #4564 of 4653 Old 07-29-2017, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tritin Seven imaging not comparable to Martin Logan Motion 40's?

Hi, I recently bought a pair of triton sevens and thought they sounded great. Then I was at ABT electronics and they had a pair of Martin Logan motion 40's and the imaging and separation blew my mind. I've heard amazing things about the triton sevens imaging and Holographic imaging but at home, my Triton sevens are nowhere near what I heard from the Martin Logans at the store. Are the Triton Sevens supposed to have that amazing separation that the Martin Logans have? Or are the motion 40's just in another league in that area? If they are supposed to be similar, any ideas on what would be the most likely problem I have at home?

I even listened more at home to my triton sevens and went back to the store to hear the martin logans again, thinking maybe I was wrong about the imaging but I noticed the difference immediately.

I'm wondering if I should be expecting similar sound or am I not going to get that in the tritons.

Thanks for all replies
post #4565 of 4653 Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mays33 View Post
Hi, I recently bought a pair of triton sevens and thought they sounded great. Then I was at ABT electronics and they had a pair of Martin Logan motion 40's and the imaging and separation blew my mind. I've heard amazing things about the triton sevens imaging and Holographic imaging but at home, my Triton sevens are nowhere near what I heard from the Martin Logans at the store. Are the Triton Sevens supposed to have that amazing separation that the Martin Logans have? Or are the motion 40's just in another league in that area? If they are supposed to be similar, any ideas on what would be the most likely problem I have at home?

I even listened more at home to my triton sevens and went back to the store to hear the martin logans again, thinking maybe I was wrong about the imaging but I noticed the difference immediately.

I'm wondering if I should be expecting similar sound or am I not going to get that in the tritons.

Thanks for all replies

I haven't heard the ML Motion 40's, but they are highly regarded. I own the Triton 5's currently, and I'm planning on adding the 1's later. I owned Magnepan 3.7's, which image similarly to ML's, but to my ears in my room, the 5's image at least as good as the Maggie's, and the Maggie's were the best I'd ever heard prior to my audition of the 1's. Another thing to consider: the ML's are going to be more fussy about positioning than the Tritons. I would assume your dealer had perfectly positioned the ML's to achieve the imaging of which you spoke. As recommend, you should position the Tritons at least as wide as the distance you are from them and toe in appropriately. My 5's image so well there's no real need of a dedicated center channel. YMMV

post #4566 of 4653 Old 07-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I haven't heard the ML Motion 40's, but they are highly regarded. I own the Triton 5's currently, and I'm planning on adding the 1's later. I owned Magnepan 3.7's, which image similarly to ML's, but to my ears in my room, the 5's image at least as good as the Maggie's, and the Maggie's were the best I'd ever heard prior to my audition of the 1's. Another thing to consider: the ML's are going to be more fussy about positioning than the Tritons. I would assume your dealer had perfectly positioned the ML's to achieve the imaging of which you spoke. As recommend, you should position the Tritons at least as wide as the distance you are from them and toe in appropriately. My 5's image so well there's no real need of a dedicated center channel. YMMV

They weren't placed anything special and had speakers next to them also. A square room with 6 sets of different martin logan speakers lined up along the wall. On the wall opposite, was other speakers and equipment, so nothing spectacular on the placement. And the image was great whether I was close to them or backed up 6 feet. The room had acoustic panel treatment on all the walls. the sound was very holographic. If you are getting that with the triton fives, which are apparently better than the Sevens, I'm guessing I should be getting a better holographic imagining?

Any Ideas what would be the biggest issue at home? Or what is most likely the culprit? I have a little older pioneer elite vsx03, maybe 9 years old. 115 wpc. I doubt it would be the receiver or lack of power.

I basically I am seated about a triangle, seated the same distance as they are apart, maybe 8 or 9 feet. They are about 20 inches from the back wall. There is much open area open to the side of the right front speaker. could that cause such a big issue? I have them toed in slightly but I've angled them many different ways and dont get the imaging close to what I heard from the ML 40's. I guess its more the separation of everything that stuck out with the Martin Logan 40's over my Triton sevens. It seemed a very significant difference.

Last edited by Mays33; 07-29-2017 at 11:24 PM.
post #4567 of 4653 Old 07-30-2017, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The dispersion pattern and timing of the Tritons is excellent. The narrow cabinets and sloping fronts all contribute to superior imaging (I noticed the new Paradigms have incorporated these features). You could use a bit more space from the rear wall, other than that, you look to be properly set up. I would be doubtful it has much to do with your electronics. Do you remember what source the ML's were playing in the store? I would try to play that at a similar volume in your own space with the Tritons. Another option would be seeing if the dealer will lloan you the ML's to see if you can recreate the magic in your own space.

post #4568 of 4653 Old 07-30-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 141
GoldenEar Triton Sevens

Quote:

Thanks for all replies
Hi, I was surprised at your posting, as the Triton Sevens really image like a bandit, so I did some research, in order to perhaps give you a little more insight into what you were hearing and why. First, of course, The Motion 40s are quite a bit more expensive than the Sevens, really the same price as the Triton Fives. This is not the main point, of course, just mentioning. That said,I believe that there is more here at play. I was wondering about what was driving the Motion 40s at Abt, so I called to find out. Rather than being driven by a moderately priced 10 year old Pioneer receiver, they are in fact driven by Rotel separates, power amp (RB 1582) and Rotel preamp (RC 1570), along with a Rotel CD player. Needless to say, this is quite a higher end, much better sounding system than the Pioneer receiver (not just much more power but a whole different level of sound quality), and the difference is not subtle to be sure. I would ask you about your source (CD, streaming?). Also, if CD, what player and if streaming, what service? Also, of course, I assume that you were listening to the same music in the same medium? Also, you mention that the Abt sound room had acoustic treatment, which can also be significant.
Going a little further, I was wondering a little about the specific sound quality and sonic characteristics of the Pioneer VSX 03, so I went up online and found this in a posting by an owner on AudioReview.com discussing his experience with this receiver," The music side of this machine, though, does leave a little to be desired. It doesn't sound "bad" at all really it just sounds really laid back. I don't know if it's my speakers or the Pioneer or both, but some thing is lacking. That being said it still does music well just not quite as well as I've gotten out of other similarly priced units." So, I suppose that this is also at play. Needless to say, not as simple a comparison as you may have thought. In terms of set up, I do find that to get optimal imaging from the Sevens, toe them in directly at the listener, and maybe a little farther apart if possible. All the Best, Sandy
klh007 and ma1746 like this.
post #4569 of 4653 Old 07-30-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I was surprised at your posting, as the Triton Sevens really image like a bandit, so I did some research, in order to perhaps give you a little more insight into what you were hearing and why. First, of course, The Motion 40s are quite a bit more expensive than the Sevens, really the same price as the Triton Fives. This is not the main point, of course, just mentioning. That said,I believe that there is more here at play. I was wondering about what was driving the Motion 40s at Abt, so I called to find out. Rather than being driven by a moderately priced 10 year old Pioneer receiver, they are in fact driven by Rotel separates, power amp (RB 1582) and Rotel preamp (RC 1570), along with a Rotel CD player. Needless to say, this is quite a higher end, much better sounding system than the Pioneer receiver (not just much more power but a whole different level of sound quality), and the difference is not subtle to be sure. I would ask you about your source (CD, streaming?). Also, if CD, what player and if streaming, what service? Also, of course, I assume that you were listening to the same music in the same medium? Also, you mention that the Abt sound room had acoustic treatment, which can also be significant.
Going a little further, I was wondering a little about the specific sound quality and sonic characteristics of the Pioneer VSX 03, so I went up online and found this in a posting by an owner on AudioReview.com discussing his experience with this receiver," The music side of this machine, though, does leave a little to be desired. It doesn't sound "bad" at all really it just sounds really laid back. I don't know if it's my speakers or the Pioneer or both, but some thing is lacking. That being said it still does music well just not quite as well as I've gotten out of other similarly priced units." So, I suppose that this is also at play. Needless to say, not as simple a comparison as you may have thought. In terms of set up, I do find that to get optimal imaging from the Sevens, toe them in directly at the listener, and maybe a little farther apart if possible. All the Best, Sandy
I can't even get the Tritons in my living room to image as well as my cpu monitors (m-audio bx5 D2). The cpu monitors sound much closer to the imaging of the martin logan 40's but not nearly the quality of sound. I was trying placing them all over the place and even a different direction in my room. I did manage to get decent imaging in the center of the room with the speakers placed about 6 feet apart and myself sitting about the same distance from the speakers. short distances and the sound stage was a bit small because of the small distances. But I did get to hear some of the imaging.
I was able to pull my speakers about 4 feet from the wall and much closer to the listening position and it was better but that put the speakers in a place that doesn't work in my room.

The sound quality of all the voices and instruments are great, but it just sounds stereo for me with little imaging, although it was better puled slightly further apart and pulled very far from the back wall. Anything closer to the back wall and the sound really goes downhill. flat and not lively and a real lack of imaging. On my pc, the voices of singers sounds like they are in the middle of the speakers. With the triton sevens, I got a taste of the imaging, placing the speakers in odd places but still not as impressive as I'm sure they are supposed to be.

I only had another crappy receiver around, worse than the pioneer elite and it sounded ****ty quality all around lol. I don't have an amp that I can try. Everybody loves the speakers so I need to find out whats the issue at my home. I'm sure they are great, I'm just not sure what I have to do. I don't really have money to blow, so I'm trying to find out what is the biggest issue or how to get the sound from these speakers that I'm guessing they deliver.

I'm not sure its just a receiver/amp issue, because I'm not getting the basic imaging I get from my pc with a good sound card and 200.00 cpu monitors. It just seems I'm not getting the imaging. It was much better with a different spot, but I still feel it isnt what it should be and the speaker placement shouldn't have to be that important and finicky I dont think.

I've tried different sources. high quality flac files from my pc to my receiver through my geforce 980ti hdmi output. I've also tried cd's thought a toshiba 3d bluray player. Playstation 4. etc. instruments and voices sound good, I'm just not getting the imaging.

I'm not trying to compare the triton sevens to the martin logan 40's or guess which is better. I was just amazed at the imaging when I heard them. Some people have heard both and prefer the tritons. I'm just trying to get the imaging I'm guessing I'm supposed to have.

I'll try to upload photos of my room. One photo has the speakers placed farther from the wall and further apart and in front of the arm or the other couch and when placed there, I got better imaging. but I can't leave them in that spot. I read the speakers arent very picky where they are placed so I'm wondering what I can do to help get the sound right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170730_200148.jpg (211.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_200115.jpg (198.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_200410.jpg (196.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_200032.jpg (212.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20170730_200020.jpg (222.5 KB, 63 views)
post #4570 of 4653 Old 07-30-2017, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I can't even get the Tritons in my living room to image as well as my cpu monitors (m-audio bx5 D2). The cpu monitors sound much closer to the imaging of the martin logan 40's but not nearly the quality of sound. I was trying placing them all over the place and even a different direction in my room. I did manage to get decent imaging in the center of the room with the speakers placed about 6 feet apart and myself sitting about the same distance from the speakers. short distances and the sound stage was a bit small because of the small distances. But I did get to hear some of the imaging.
I was able to pull my speakers about 4 feet from the wall and much closer to the listening position and it was better but that put the speakers in a place that doesn't work in my room.

The sound quality of all the voices and instruments are great, but it just sounds stereo for me with little imaging, although it was better puled slightly further apart and pulled very far from the back wall. Anything closer to the back wall and the sound really goes downhill. flat and not lively and a real lack of imaging. On my pc, the voices of singers sounds like they are in the middle of the speakers. With the triton sevens, I got a taste of the imaging, placing the speakers in odd places but still not as impressive as I'm sure they are supposed to be.

I only had another crappy receiver around, worse than the pioneer elite and it sounded ****ty quality all around lol. I don't have an amp that I can try. Everybody loves the speakers so I need to find out whats the issue at my home. I'm sure they are great, I'm just not sure what I have to do. I don't really have money to blow, so I'm trying to find out what is the biggest issue or how to get the sound from these speakers that I'm guessing they deliver.

I'm not sure its just a receiver/amp issue, because I'm not getting the basic imaging I get from my pc with a good sound card and 200.00 cpu monitors. It just seems I'm not getting the imaging. It was much better with a different spot, but I still feel it isnt what it should be and the speaker placement shouldn't have to be that important and finicky I dont think.

I've tried different sources. high quality flac files from my pc to my receiver through my geforce 980ti hdmi output. I've also tried cd's thought a toshiba 3d bluray player. Playstation 4. etc. instruments and voices sound good, I'm just not getting the imaging.

I'm not trying to compare the triton sevens to the martin logan 40's or guess which is better. I was just amazed at the imaging when I heard them. Some people have heard both and prefer the tritons. I'm just trying to get the imaging I'm guessing I'm supposed to have.

I'll try to upload photos of my room. One photo has the speakers placed farther from the wall and further apart and in front of the arm or the other couch and when placed there, I got better imaging. but I can't leave them in that spot. I read the speakers arent very picky where they are placed so I'm wondering what I can do to help get the sound right.
Mays33, Your imaging problem is quite surprising, the Triton 1s best feature in my room is the 3D deep & wide soundstage, easily the best from any speaker I've tried. I don't have an answer, perhaps borrow a nice integrated amp to see if it's the room or electronics.

Kemper Holt
post #4571 of 4653 Old 07-30-2017, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Kumar,

Have you had a chance to audition any of the GoldenEar speakers you are thinking about yet? I big factor in your decision is probably going to be your budget. Personally, I would put as much into your front soundstage as you can afford. I've personally not heard the Triton 2+ but I imagine they sound fantastic. However, if you plan to add subwoofers beyond what's in the active Triton 2+ you may just want to consider the passive Triton 5's. For the center channel I would suggest you consider the SuperCenter line. The XXL is a FANTASTIC center channel as I'm sure the XL is as well. I would suggest either of these over the 50/60C.

Personally, I am using the SuperSat 3's as side surrounds (space limitation, couldn't do in walls and couldn't do towers). I also had some Aon 2's at one point. The SS3's are serviceable but they don't perform nearly as well as my rear surrounds. If I had the room I'd prefer another set of 5's or even the 7's for my side surrounds. I've never heard the MPX in walls, my local dealer does not have any set up so I can't comment on that.

I have 4 HTR 7000 for my ceiling channels and feel they work very well for Atmos. The sounds are diffuse and hard to localize which is what you want. There isn't any hot spotting when you are sitting on the end of the couch right under them vs in the middle in the sweet spot.

If you get the chance I would recommend a trip to a GoldenEar dealer, hearing your options in person might help you make a more informed decision. Personally, I don't think they make a "bad" speaker so no matter your budget you should be happy.
thank you for the advice and explanation, Yes i have listed to T2+ and

I am deciding to get below, please let me know what do you think about, it is for room 22'lengthx13'widex9'celing

Front ----GoldenEar Triton2+, Super Center XL
Surround side\back----GoldenEar 650 Vs MPX
Front Atmos--HTR7000
Back Atmos---650C (These speakers mostly will be on top of the seating and if I go with 7000, sound will be directed in front of me as they are angled speaker's)

what do you think about this ? and also do you have any recommendation for 2 channel amp? I need to this to connect the 11.2 as my Denon AVR-X4300 is 9.2 but can process 11.2
post #4572 of 4653 Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar106 View Post
thank you for the advice and explanation, Yes i have listed to T2+ and

I am deciding to get below, please let me know what do you think about, it is for room 22'lengthx13'widex9'celing

Front Atmos--HTR7000
Back Atmos---650C (These speakers mostly will be on top of the seating and if I go with 7000, sound will be directed in front of me as they are angled speaker's)

what do you think about this ? and also do you have any recommendation for 2 channel amp? I need to this to connect the 11.2 as my Denon AVR-X4300 is 9.2 but can process 11.2
Kumar,

The list of equipment looks great. If your budget will allow consider the SuperCenter XXL over the XL. So much content goes through the center channel in a 7.2.4 set up getting the best you can there is a good idea. Plus the SuperCenter XXL is just a phenomenal sounding speaker. Another thought, this one concerning your ceiling speakers. If your rear ceiling speakers are going to be right above your seating you may still want to consider the HTR7000's there. If you have direct downward firing speakers right above your head you are going to blast whomever is below them with sound that will be very localized. The HTR 7000s are meant to be closer to the seating area than traditional downward firing speakers (which Dolby maps out at 45 degrees in front of and behind the MLP) so even if you can only get them a foot behind your couch they may work. You could take the rear HTRs and angle them in towards the middle of the room and it might work nicely as they have a pretty wide dispersion. Sandy may suggest otherwise though so if he chimes in I would go with his suggestions. If he doesn't, shoot GoldenEar an email and ask to see what they recommend for your situation. Their support is always fantastic. In my room I have the HTR 7000's about 2.5 feet behind and in front of our couch and they work great angled in towards the MLP.

If you only need a two channel amp I would suggest the Emotiva Gen 3. You can get it configured with just 2 channels of amplification all the way up to 7 channels as its design is modular. If you ever decide to go separates and need more amplification you can send it back and get it upgraded with more channels at a later date. It sounds good too. I have one with 4 channels powering my 4 HTR 7000s and have no complaints. It's hard to beat the value of Emotiva's amps.

Have fun with all of this equipment, it's going to be hard to leave your living room!

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 60
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4573 of 4653 Old 07-31-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:

I am not an expert on acoustics by any stretch of the imagination, but based on the pictures of your room, I believe the problem could be the room. It looks like a lot of reflective surfaces with very little absorption.

I will be installing a GET system on Wednesday/Thursday this week and also have a relatively bright (acoustically) room. I've added an area rug, but I may need to add some more absorptive wall coverings to compensate for the room.
Mays33, Spleen and captainbrent like this.
post #4574 of 4653 Old 07-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafa2e View Post
I am not an expert on acoustics by any stretch of the imagination, but based on the pictures of your room, I believe the problem could be the room. It looks like a lot of reflective surfaces with very little absorption.
+1 on that. I also note the radically different situations around each speaker. If ABT is like the stereo shops I've visited, their speakers are set up such that right and left are basically mirror images, i.e. if one is set a foot away from the back wall and three feet away from the side wall, the other one is too. The walls will have identical acoustic treatments, and the MLP will be a seat set well away from the side and back walls. It is basically the polar opposite to this home setup, and that has a HUGE influence on the sound.

Move that chair against your left speaker somewhere, anywhere, else, and then add treatment around the left channel to ameliorate the reflections that your right speaker doesn't have because it's not in a corner. I'll bet that'll help, but you have a very asymmetrical setup there. Getting the L&R channels to sound even vaguely similar (a critical factor in imaging, IMO), will be a real challenge.
Spleen and captainbrent like this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4575 of 4653 Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
+1 on that. I also note the radically different situations around each speaker. If ABT is like the stereo shops I've visited, their speakers are set up such that right and left are basically mirror images, i.e. if one is set a foot away from the back wall and three feet away from the side wall, the other one is too. The walls will have identical acoustic treatments, and the MLP will be a seat set well away from the side and back walls. It is basically the polar opposite to this home setup, and that has a HUGE influence on the sound.

Move that chair against your left speaker somewhere, anywhere, else, and then add treatment around the left channel to ameliorate the reflections that your right speaker doesn't have because it's not in a corner. I'll bet that'll help, but you have a very asymmetrical setup there. Getting the L&R channels to sound even vaguely similar (a critical factor in imaging, IMO), will be a real challenge.
Thanks dscottj. That's what I'm suspecting to be a major issue. The room setup. As long as I know that's a big issue, I don't need to return my Triton Sevens that I just bought. I know they get great reviews so they must be great. The Martin Logan 40's probably wouldn't sound great in my room currently either then. I'm guessing trying to do something with the room is where I will need to start.
post #4576 of 4653 Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar106 View Post
...Yes i have listed to T2+ and I am deciding to get below, please let me know what do you think about, it is for room 22'lengthx13'widex9'celing

Front Atmos--HTR7000
My new (and system-less) HT is 17.5' x 17.5' x 7.5' and as I sat in it yesterday I am leaning not toward the Reference nor even the Ones but now think that the Two+ is the way for me to go as well. Room feels small and I think the Ones or Reference could overwhelm it. I looked at Martin Logan 60XTs (enamored of folded ribbon tweeters) and even its gorgeous "black cherry" finish can't save for me the somewhat boring aesthetic, and I really (at least initially) don't want to do separate subwoofer(s). The Twos are manly-looking and have the built-in powered subs.

John Budny is right the Center is no place to skimp and I must have the XXL, but my surround space is lacking so I think I will do the SuperSat 3's wall-mounted for my modest, what, 5.0 setup. My wife has trouble with dialog in modern movies and so along with this bare-bones setup I think I must get the Denon AVR-X7200WA for its Dialog Enhancement feature, unless someone here tells me its amps are not up to the Goldenear speaker set.
post #4577 of 4653 Old 08-01-2017, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
I'm guessing trying to do something with the room is where I will need to start.
Adjusting / treating the room will be where the great big (and usually cheap-to-free) gains come from. Eliminating reflections and getting each speaker's acoustic situation as close to identical as possible will make a huge difference.

I did a quick look and it seems you might have the last high-zoot receiver pioneer made that doesn't come with built-in room correction. That would also be a big step up. You can pick up a late-model SC series (say, an SC-68 or -79) on ebay for probably not too much. It'll electronically compensate for a lot of the issues your room imposes on you. There are also other alternatives, but that'll be the easiest/cheapest.
Ediddy likes this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4578 of 4653 Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 158
GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

Just to chime in on the triton sevens. I have them as my main l/r paired with a supercenter xl and I absolutely adore all 3. Small square 12x12 untreated spare bedroom with a pretty decent receiver (Denon x3300) and they sound just marvelous. Imaging, clarity, the ability to get bone breaking loud and pin drop quiet seconds apart, I could go on and on.. to the poster debating centers, I heard the supercenter x, xl and xxl side by side at a local dealer and they honestly all sounded similar (and better than any other center I've heard). You can definitely tell the second you go up a model, but I'd say I heard a bigger difference between the x and the xl vs the xl to the xxl, but your mileage may vary.

65" LGB6, Denon x3300 (5.1.2), 2x Goldenear triton 7 mains, Goldenear supercenter xl center, 2x fluance xlbp surrounds, 2x micca m-8c for in ceiling top middle Dolby atmos, bic f12 subwoofer, Ps4 pro, UBD-k8500.
post #4579 of 4653 Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Pretty good write up on the References in the Absolute Sound. I'm a couple weeks out from getting them but I'm getting a little excited. I am also interested in the new in walls that where just announced for sides and use my HTR7000 for atmos. The evolution continues

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #4580 of 4653 Old 08-04-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Hi. I know you may already have checked this but are you sure your speakers are in phase? Everything you said sounds exactly how it would be if they were not. And its easily checked bu switching around the positive and negative leads on any one speaker either at the receiver out or at the speaker in. I realise this is extremely basic troubleshooting, but I ask because I have a pair of T1s and had a pair of T2s before, and when I hooked up my T1s, your symptoms were exactly what I heard. And it never even occurred to me to check phase because we've been deep into this hobby so long and I could never have even dreamt that I could make a mistake like that. But I did. And putting the speakers in phase suddenly fixed the imaging and soundstage issue, in addition to now having me turn down the bass! Worth a shot.
Mays33 and hydrotex like this.

Raj
post #4581 of 4653 Old 08-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Update on my Triton Seven Issues.

I have got the imaging and somewhat of a holographic sound. The sweet airy sounds between the speakers. Sometimes it just sounds like every thing is just in the room. Much more of what I expected. Placement of the speakers has been critical. More than likely because of the room not being ideal and no acoustic treatments and too many reflective surfaces. I had to temporarily place things areas in the room to simulate some sort or room treatment. I laid a couple of blankets on the floor in front of the speakers, I placed pillow upright on the top along the couches to cover part of the way up the bare walls. I also placed a pillow to the side of the left speaker and behind it in the corner to try to block some reflection there. I had to get the speakers away from my wall at least 3 feet. I also moved the chair which gave it a more complete sound, not blocked in any way like somebody suggested to me. I also did not get the cool placement of people and instruments between the speakers having them facing directly at me like Sandy suggested. For my room as is, I had to have them toed in but crossing just behind my head instead on directly at me. This placement almost made my speakers disappear, made me smile and excited. And it opened a soundstage further back than the spears placement, "depth", very cool.

After doing that, I got a taste of these speakers and they at times sound wonderful. At least I know it's not me unhappy with the speakers, as the sound was greatly improved just from the little temporary testing I did with pillows. I'm still getting an echo and obviously will need to figure out how to treat the room but I wanted to give an update that the speakers are giving me a taste of how wonderful they can be. The speakers didn't deserve what I was saying they sound like to me, what I was hearing from them, so it's fair that I give the update. The sound I was getting really wasn't what I expected, but I'm getting that fixed and it is clearly not the speakers. I'm excited about how well I can get them to sound in my room. I don't have any experience on how, or where to get or put acoustic panels and I'm on a limited budget. I'm not sure where are the best places in my room to place them.

I appreciate everybody trying to help. I did check the phase, thought maybe I messed that up, things happen, but I had everything hooked up fine.

Now I just need to figure out how to
post #4582 of 4653 Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Mays33, Try the GIK site, they will consult with you about treating your room.

Kemper Holt
post #4583 of 4653 Old 08-08-2017, 07:32 PM

I picked up my GE References and have them set up. I haven't ran any room correction but my initial impressions are that I'm blown away. I just plugged and played so won't do any serious listening until I have spent the time to set them up. I will give my thoughts once I've spent more time with them. In my humble opinion References are simply in another class.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #4584 of 4653 Old 08-09-2017, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
I picked up my GE References and have them set up. I haven't ran any room correction but my initial impressions are that I'm blown away. I just plugged and played so won't do any serious listening until I have spent the time to set them up. I will give my thoughts once I've spent more time with them. In my humble opinion References are simply in another class.

Were you able to compare them to the 1's?

post #4585 of 4653 Old 08-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Need some Help:

I am building a new home, and while I have my basement HT already spec'd out, I am doing 5.1 in my Family room. The problem is that it is an open floorplan with only one side wall and not a complete back wall, so I am going to go with in ceiling surrounds

Description:
  • Room is going to be 20x18 with 9' Ceilings
  • I have a pair of T7s which I was going to sell, but now will use in this setup
  • I also have a SuperStat 60 that will be the center speaker below my TV
What is optimal placement for in ceiling surrounds
  • Behind the listening position directly above, or slightly in front
  • Suggestions on which GE model in wall speakers I should use for this setup
Thanks!

Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro - Parasound Halo Amps - GoldenEar: Triton One (main) Triton 7 (surrounds) Aon 3 (Rears)Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Furman Elite 20-PFI - Sony XBR-65X850C 4K (until my move)

Last edited by rcos; 08-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.
post #4586 of 4653 Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcos View Post
Need some Help:

I am building a new home, and while I have my basement HT already spec'd out, I am doing 5.1 in my Family room. The problem is that it is an open floorplan with only one side wall and not a complete back wall, so I am going to go with in ceiling surrounds

Description:
  • I have a pair of T7s which I was going to sell, but now will use in this setup
  • Behind the listening position directly above, or slightly behind
Thanks!
If you are doing in ceiling for rears and sides, you could prob do HTR7000 to get that ear height sound from the ceiling, you would probably want to email GoldenEar though to get the distances they work at, they are very good at responding. Sandy called me one of the times when I was working out my atmos install.
post #4587 of 4653 Old 08-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
If you are doing in ceiling for rears and sides, you could prob do HTR7000 to get that ear height sound from the ceiling, you would probably want to email GoldenEar though to get the distances they work at, they are very good at responding. Sandy called me one of the times when I was working out my atmos install.
It's only 5.1, don't want overkill in the family room I have a 7.2.4 that will be in the home theater I am designing in the basement. So just 2 surround speakers. I was going to call GE, but I know Sandy also checks these forums from time to time too.

Marantz AV8802A Pre/Pro - Parasound Halo Amps - GoldenEar: Triton One (main) Triton 7 (surrounds) Aon 3 (Rears)Oppo 103 Blu-Ray Furman Elite 20-PFI - Sony XBR-65X850C 4K (until my move)
post #4588 of 4653 Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Were you able to compare them to the 1's?

I wasn't able to listen to them in my home side by side but I spent sometime over the weekend listening to some of my favorite songs and movie clips ... my go to stuff when I wanted to show off my Triton 1s. I have had a tough week of work so I was only able to listen to a little of my bench mark material. It made me smile from ear to ear. I will try to upload some pics but can't seem to do it on my iPad.

post #4589 of 4653 Old 08-10-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
It's only 5.1, don't want overkill in the family room I have a 7.2.4 that will be in the home theater I am designing in the basement. So just 2 surround speakers. I was going to call GE, but I know Sandy also checks these forums from time to time too.
Quote:
Need some Help:

Description:
  • Behind the listening position directly above, or slightly in front
Thanks!
Rcos,

My understanding of the HTR 7000 in wall speaker is that it was originally designed to give the impression of being an ear level speaker with the flexibility of being ceiling mounted. To accomplish this the speaker has to be set back from the listening position. The angled driver then gives the impression that the sounds are coming from ear level as opposed to from above. After Atmos was released Sandy recognized that the HTR 7000 is also a very capable Atmos speaker. To accomplish this you have to move the speaker in close to the listening position so that its sound appears to come from above rather than at ear level.

In your room this might be the perfect solution and it's possible you could do away with all of your ear level speakers and do a completely stealth 5.1 system.

This is direct from GoldenEar, "The Invisa Home Theater Reference 7000 is designed for use as a ceiling-mounted main front stage left, right, or center speaker in high-quality home theater or music systems,as well as for use as a side or rear surround speaker."

Hope this helps.
rcos likes this.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 60
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4590 of 4653 Old 08-10-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Rcos,

My understanding of the HTR 7000 in wall speaker is that it was originally designed to give the impression of being an ear level speaker with the flexibility of being ceiling mounted. To accomplish this the speaker has to be set back from the listening position. The angled driver then gives the impression that the sounds are coming from ear level as opposed to from above. After Atmos was released Sandy recognized that the HTR 7000 is also a very capable Atmos speaker. To accomplish this you have to move the speaker in close to the listening position so that its sound appears to come from above rather than at ear level.

In your room this might be the perfect solution and it's possible you could do away with all of your ear level speakers and do a completely stealth 5.1 system.

This is direct from GoldenEar, "The Invisa Home Theater Reference 7000 is designed for use as a ceiling-mounted main front stage left, right, or center speaker in high-quality home theater or music systems,as well as for use as a side or rear surround speaker."

Hope this helps.
I read about that setup, not quite sure I want to go with complete ceiling solution, but something to consider. I will be using the 7000 for my Atmos and thought they might work well as surrounds. I appreciate the instruction on placement as that is a big help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page