GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 565Likes

post #4591 of 4653 Old 08-12-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My next step is going atmos which means I'll get two additional rear speakers and use my 4 HTR 7000 for atmos. I'm thinking Triton 7s for the rears. Has anybody auditioned the 7s vs the 5s for rears?

Adding a couple of pics of my references Name:  IMG_9628.JPG
Views: 853
Size:  54.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9634.JPG
Views: 868
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9636.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  68.9 KB

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.

Last edited by Ediddy; 08-13-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4653 Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Very interested in the Reference. A couple of questions if anybody can help:

- Does the Reference have any ports? What are the placement requirements, in terms of back/side wall clearance distance and what size of room they are meant to be played in? Would they play well in my 12x18 ft listening space?

- How is the Reference supposed to be different from/better than the One? I'd assume the Reference will play louder/have more bass (which is of no interest to me), but do they actually offer better sound quality (which is my priority)?

- Also, my local dealer called GoldenEar in general being a bit "dull" (as opposed to 'bright'). Is he correct?

Thanks!

Last edited by Shangri-La; 08-14-2017 at 11:09 PM.
post #4593 of 4653 Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post

- Does the Reference have any ports? What are the placement requirements, in terms of back/side wall clearance distance and what size of room they are meant to be played in? Would they play well in my 12x18 ft listening space?

- How is the Reference supposed to be different from/better than the One? I'd assume the Reference will play louder/have more bass (which is of no interest to me), but do they actually offer better sound quality (which is my priority)?

- Also, my local dealer called GoldenEar in general being a bit "dull" (as opposed to 'bright'). Is he correct?

Thanks!

I recently auditioned the References followed immediately by the the 1's. Both were excellent. For me, not enough difference to warrant the premium for the References. Neither was at all "dull" to my ears. I recognize that people hear differently, but I'd never consider them to be dull at all. They seemed extended to my ears without being bright or etched, I'd describe them as detailed, just about ideal in the higher notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spleen likes this.

post #4594 of 4653 Old 08-15-2017, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Shangri-La, There are no ports on the Reference, that's what the bass radiators are for, to mimic/replace ports. Placement is pretty easy, in my difficult room, my T Ones produce the best soundstage, especially depth, that I've ever had. Get them a foot or two away from walls, aim them right at you, enjoy.

Kemper Holt
post #4595 of 4653 Old 08-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangri-La View Post

Thanks!
As noted earlier, the passive radiators do the job of a port. From the reviews and notes, the Reference is an evolution of the T-1, with larger, more refined drivers, upgraded electronics, and nicer cabinetry. If someone prefers a bright speaker sound then yes, the Tritons (really all the GE speakers) aren't that. I would call them precise instead of dull, but that's me.

The only thing you can really do is go audition a pair and judge for yourself.
Spleen likes this.

I'm also an author! Gemini Gambit - He's trying to save the world. She's trying to hide from it. When they meet, death is the least of their worries. http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-Gambit-...dp/0986396214/
Its sequel, Dragon's Ark, is also available. Behind the Great Firewall of China, there are secrets people will kill to keep. https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Ark-G...dp/B01LD5BYV4/
post #4596 of 4653 Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy View Post
My next step is going atmos which means I'll get two additional rear speakers and use my 4 HTR 7000 for atmos. I'm thinking Triton 7s for the rears. Has anybody auditioned the 7s vs the 5s for rears?

Adding a couple of pics of my references Attachment 2267346

Attachment 2267348

Attachment 2267350
In my opinion it's just a better speaker that provides more depth, better imaging with more clearity and detail on the upper end. You can't go wrong between the two of them. I highly recommend it and I'm smiling from ear to ear every time I cut them on. Just my two cents

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000, Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), Sony VPL 55es, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Darby Darblet, Oppo 103, Integra 80.3, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 5, Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite.
post #4597 of 4653 Old 08-15-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I recently auditioned the References followed immediately by the the 1's. Both were excellent. For me, not enough difference to warrant the premium for the References. Neither was at all "dull" to my ears. I recognize that people hear differently, but I'd never consider them to be dull at all. They seemed extended to my ears without being bright or etched, I'd describe them as detailed, just about ideal in the higher notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Shangri-La, There are no ports on the Reference, that's what the bass radiators are for, to mimic/replace ports. Placement is pretty easy, in my difficult room, my T Ones produce the best soundstage, especially depth, that I've ever had. Get them a foot or two away from walls, aim them right at you, enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
As noted earlier, the passive radiators do the job of a port. From the reviews and notes, the Reference is an evolution of the T-1, with larger, more refined drivers, upgraded electronics, and nicer cabinetry. If someone prefers a bright speaker sound then yes, the Tritons (really all the GE speakers) aren't that. I would call them precise instead of dull, but that's me.

The only thing you can really do is go audition a pair and judge for yourself.
Thank you guys for the comments, really appreciate it. I don't really like speakers that are too bright (the Triangle Signature Delta IMO are, I would otherwise go with them). My listening space is not too big at 12x18 ft and I was worried about the Reference would overkill and play poorly. If they won't then I will definitely audition those. I ran out of time at my local dealer the other day. The Sonus Faber Venere S was a nice surprise and the Reference caught my attention on my way out.
post #4598 of 4653 Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Anybody in here have any tips or tricks for using the new audyssey editor app? From what I've heard Sandy recommends no audyssey on his speakers but I really like the way audyssey handles the subwoofer and lower frequencies in general. I'm thinking cutting off audyssey at like 80 for all channels might be the best of both worlds. Thoughts?

65" LGB6, Denon x3300 (5.1.2), 2x Goldenear triton 7 mains, Goldenear supercenter xl center, 2x Goldenear aon 2 surrounds, 2x micca m-8c for in ceiling top middle Dolby atmos, bic f12 subwoofer, Ps4 pro, UBD-k8500.
post #4599 of 4653 Old 08-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma1746 View Post
Anybody in here have any tips or tricks for using the new audyssey editor app? From what I've heard Sandy recommends no audyssey on his speakers but I really like the way audyssey handles the subwoofer and lower frequencies in general. I'm thinking cutting off audyssey at like 80 for all channels might be the best of both worlds. Thoughts?

65" LGB6, Denon x3300 (5.1.2), 2x Goldenear triton 7 mains, Goldenear supercenter xl center, 2x Goldenear aon 2 surrounds, 2x micca m-8c for in ceiling top middle Dolby atmos, bic f12 subwoofer, Ps4 pro, UBD-k8500.
Are you able to cut off Audyssey EQ at a set frequency? I thought it was all or nothing. I forget exactly, but want to say that you'd want to correct frequencies below 200Hz or so to account for room modes and leave 200Hz+ with no correction applied.

Austin A's Dedicated Theater Build

Sony HW40ES | 120" Elite Screen | Marantz SR5007 | Parasound Halo Integrated Amplifier | Mac + Audirvana | Oppo BDP-103 | GoldenEar Triton One | GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL | GoldenEar Triton Seven | Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer | Pangea Power Cables | Blue Jeans Cables | GIK Soffit Bass Traps (x8), 244 Bass Traps (x6) & Polyfusers (x3)
post #4600 of 4653 Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin85 View Post
Are you able to cut off Audyssey EQ at a set frequency? I thought it was all or nothing. I forget exactly, but want to say that you'd want to correct frequencies below 200Hz or so to account for room modes and leave 200Hz+ with no correction applied.

Yes you are able to cut, that's one of the main features of the app. I'll try 200hz, thanks!

post #4601 of 4653 Old 08-21-2017, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

Hello guys .. can any one tell me whats the mount/base dimensions of the Triton Reference .. hiw many cm exactly length and width

Thanks

Last edited by DawoodWN; 08-21-2017 at 01:42 AM.
post #4602 of 4653 Old 08-21-2017, 07:38 PM

Does any one using in ceiling GEs for atmos care to share pics of their set up?

post #4603 of 4653 Old 08-24-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Not sure how to get the sock completely off the speaker, but it would definitely involve disassembling the base at the very least.
This post was about the Triton Ones. I am considering the Triton Fives and wonder if anyone here knows how easy or difficult it might be to replace a damaged sock on the tower speaker(s).
post #4604 of 4653 Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I just installed a set of Triton Two Plus's right next to the Mythos ST-L Def Tech speaker in our showroom and it's on a speaker selector switch. Initial impressions are that they have tremendous bottom end but don't have the top end air of the ST-L...though, they've been playing like 4 hours at moderate volumes so i'll reserve judgement until they've been listened to and broken in with my content.
post #4605 of 4653 Old 08-26-2017, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by amblinfan View Post
I just installed a set of Triton Two Plus's right next to the Mythos ST-L Def Tech speaker in our showroom and it's on a speaker selector switch. Initial impressions are that they have tremendous bottom end but don't have the top end air of the ST-L...though, they've been playing like 4 hours at moderate volumes so i'll reserve judgement until they've been listened to and broken in with my content.
I just got the Triton7 in the living room along with the SuperCenter XL for tv and occasional movie/music the past Tuesday. The first few days my wife complained of lack of clarity during tv newscast, etc. Yesterday she asked me what did I do to make them now sound so clear... No more complaints!
post #4606 of 4653 Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
To those who have experience with Goldenear speakers in a smaller room:

I want to downsize from my Vandersteen 3As. I need speakers that sound good in a small room, at lower volume levels. I listen to female vocals, jazz, piano and classical music. Acoustic, not electronic.

I listen at moderate levels. Loud noises are just painful.... And I have Senn earphones when I do want louder.

Would the Triton 7 be appropriate for listening at moderate levels?
If so, are these due for an update, like the larger Tritons?

What about the Aon 3?

In theory, I prefer floorstanders. No need for stands. I have dogs and stands are easier to knock over. But for my needs, the sound level of either a floorstander or a bookshelf speaker would satisfy me.

Or is there another, even better alternative than either of these?

More and more, I find myself listening on my second setup -- a bedroom system with Audioengine 2 speakers. The detail, soundstage and bass are nowhere near that of the Vandys, of course. But the sound level is satisfactory most of the time while writing at the computer. But I would want better for the big rig. (Bryston preamp; Odyssey amp; Cambridge and Oppo for CDs; a heavily modded Hafler tuner for FM.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #4607 of 4653 Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash900 View Post

I want to downsize from my Vandersteen 3As. I need speakers that sound good in a small room, at lower volume levels. I listen to female vocals, jazz, piano and classical music. Acoustic, not electronic.

I listen at moderate levels. Loud noises are just painful.... And I have Senn earphones when I do want louder.

What about the Aon 3?

In theory, I prefer floorstanders. No need for stands. I have dogs and stands are easier to knock over. But for my needs, the sound level of either a floorstander or a bookshelf speaker would satisfy me.

More and more, I find myself listening on my second setup -- a bedroom system with Audioengine 2 speakers. The detail, soundstage and bass are nowhere near that of the Vandys, of course. But the sound level is satisfactory most of the time while writing at the computer. But I would want better for the big rig. (Bryston preamp; Odyssey amp; Cambridge and Oppo for CDs; a heavily modded Hafler tuner for FM.)

My setup listed in my signature is in a small room (12x10) and sounds excellent at all volumes. I tend to listen at about 5 below reference but the sound quality truly is excellent at all levels.

post #4608 of 4653 Old 09-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:

What about the Aon 3?

Small room, vocals, and jazz music. Definitely check out LS50 from Kef. I have not heard a better speaker for vocals, piano and jazz trio than ls50. YMMV.

By the way get a small sealed sub as well to fill in less than 80 Hz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
flash900 likes this.
post #4609 of 4653 Old 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 253
FLASH, I think the AON 3 matched with. FF4 sub ($1700 MSRP) would serve you better than the T7 ($1400 MSRP)
flash900 likes this.

Mike Miles
post #4610 of 4653 Old 09-02-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 253
AMBLINFAN, I've had most ever GE speaker in my demo space here at home. So far the T2+ hits the sweet spot and checks all the boxes. The $3500 MSRP makes it a great choice.

Maybe you can give it a try in the future.
flash900 likes this.

Mike Miles
post #4611 of 4653 Old 09-02-2017, 06:41 PM

A good friend of mine got his system up and running and I got a chance to hear it today. Very impressed with his Triton 5s. He has the T5's with SC XXL and 4 Invisa speakers. Very impressed

post #4612 of 4653 Old 09-05-2017, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey Everyone.

Was just wondering if anyone has run there Triton 2's with just the Pre outs on there amp.

I always found my Triton two's to be lacking in the mid bass department a bit. I had the opportunity to pick up a pair of Def Tech PB2000 for 500 canadian.
I noticed right away the mid bass slam i was missing. They are connected with the left and right of the pre outs.
I had a bit of time and connected my Tritons the same way and wow did they ever come alive.

I know we should use the LFE on the Tritons but I can't go back it does not sound as good.

Fronts- Golden Ear Triton Two's, Def Tech BP2000, Center- Golden Ear Super Center XL, Surrounds- Def Tech BP30's & BPX's & PB 2x's, Subs- Rythmik LV12R, Receiver- Pioneer Elite SC67, CD/DVD- Pioneer Elite DV-79ia, Game- Xbox One.
post #4613 of 4653 Old 09-05-2017, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey guys!

How does the supercenter x compare to the XL?

I currently have the chane a2.4 that is great but too bulky for the wife.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #4614 of 4653 Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy View Post
Hey Everyone.

Was just wondering if anyone has run there Triton 2's with just the Pre outs on there amp.

I always found my Triton two's to be lacking in the mid bass department a bit. I had the opportunity to pick up a pair of Def Tech PB2000 for 500 canadian.
I noticed right away the mid bass slam i was missing. They are connected with the left and right of the pre outs.
I had a bit of time and connected my Tritons the same way and wow did they ever come alive.

I know we should use the LFE on the Tritons but I can't go back it does not sound as good.
It might have something to do with the auto room calibration on your processor and your crossover settings. Did you have your T2's set as 'large' or 'small' and if they were small what was the crossover set at? In Sandy's setup tips he recommends speaker wire only if you use your Tritons for 2-channel music but to use LFE if you use the Tritons for multi-channel movies/music.

*In a 2-Channel Stereo-only Setup: Connect each speaker with speaker-wire (and power cord) only. Precision circuitry in the Tritons' electronics takes this speaker wire signal and feeds it to the built=in powered subwoofer. Make sure that your electronics are set for full range playback (no high pass crossover engaged).

*In a Multi-channel (Home Theater and Music) Setup: We have found we get better results when we run LFE cables to the Tritons (LFE is the ".1" part of the 5.1, etc., format and contains the movies' bass effects). When you run separate LFE cables (use a "Y" splitter if your receiver only has one LFE output) you can then control the LFE output separately from the receiver/processor and raise the level, if desired, rather than have the fixed level when you hook up with just speaker wires. Bass management settings of Left and Right Main = LARGE (absolutely not Small), Sub = Yes, with separate LFE cables run to each Triton, delivers the best performance (more extended and/or higher levels of LFE bass information) with most receivers/processors. Set the sub level on the back of the Tritons with 2-channel music material, and then set the LFE level on your receiver/processor to taste. (You CAN also hook them up with only speaker wire and set the processor for Large Left and Right and Sub = No. This will still yield good results, but may not be as good as using the setup with separate LFE input in addition).
Newfy likes this.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVM 60
Amps: Outlaw Audio 7700 (ear level) & Emotiva Gen 3 (ceiling)
Speakers: GoldenEar Technology T1s, SC XXL, SS 3's, T5's & HTR 7000 x 4
Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 2
Display: Epson 5040UB & 110" Screen Innovations 7 Series Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4 with LED Light Kit
post #4615 of 4653 Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Budny View Post
It might have something to do with the auto room calibration on your processor and your crossover settings. Did you have your T2's set as 'large' or 'small' and if they were small what was the crossover set at? In Sandy's setup tips he recommends speaker wire only if you use your Tritons for 2-channel music but to use LFE if you use the Tritons for multi-channel movies/music.

*In a 2-Channel Stereo-only Setup: Connect each speaker with speaker-wire (and power cord) only. Precision circuitry in the Tritons' electronics takes this speaker wire signal and feeds it to the built=in powered subwoofer. Make sure that your electronics are set for full range playback (no high pass crossover engaged).

*In a Multi-channel (Home Theater and Music) Setup: We have found we get better results when we run LFE cables to the Tritons (LFE is the ".1" part of the 5.1, etc., format and contains the movies' bass effects). When you run separate LFE cables (use a "Y" splitter if your receiver only has one LFE output) you can then control the LFE output separately from the receiver/processor and raise the level, if desired, rather than have the fixed level when you hook up with just speaker wires. Bass management settings of Left and Right Main = LARGE (absolutely not Small), Sub = Yes, with separate LFE cables run to each Triton, delivers the best performance (more extended and/or higher levels of LFE bass information) with most receivers/processors. Set the sub level on the back of the Tritons with 2-channel music material, and then set the LFE level on your receiver/processor to taste. (You CAN also hook them up with only speaker wire and set the processor for Large Left and Right and Sub = No. This will still yield good results, but may not be as good as using the setup with separate LFE input in addition).
Hey John.

I have them set to large. I do use them for music and movies. I always found just speaker wire very lacking in the bass department. You are thinking it is the calibration causing the problem. I have ran many calibrations. I have even tried disconnecting all my speakers except the fronts and it would give the same results sound wise.

In multi channel I have to say they do sound great with the LFE connected to them. Really good bass in my room from the fronts.

I have not played a movie yet with just the pre-outs connected but can say just regular shows from netflix the kids are watching sound more full.
Yes I have to sacrifice my listening time with the kidos .

Fronts- Golden Ear Triton Two's, Def Tech BP2000, Center- Golden Ear Super Center XL, Surrounds- Def Tech BP30's & BPX's & PB 2x's, Subs- Rythmik LV12R, Receiver- Pioneer Elite SC67, CD/DVD- Pioneer Elite DV-79ia, Game- Xbox One.
post #4616 of 4653 Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Hey John.

I have them set to large. I do use them for music and movies. I always found just speaker wire very lacking in the bass department. You are thinking it is the calibration causing the problem. I have ran many calibrations. I have even tried disconnecting all my speakers except the fronts and it would give the same results sound wise.

In multi channel I have to say they do sound great with the LFE connected to them. Really good bass in my room from the fronts.

I have not played a movie yet with just the pre-outs connected but can say just regular shows from netflix the kids are watching sound more full.
Yes I have to sacrifice my listening time with the kidos .
So I just did some testing with the Tritons and for movies it has to have LFE connected it sounds amazing. But as soon as I started playing music through my CD player in stereo the mid bass is not as full.. I connected them back up to the pre-outs and wow they sound like new speakers. It must be my receiver that has been throwing me out all these years lol. Something that the receiver does different than others.
I guess for now when I want to listen to music I will have to flip them from Pre-outs then LFE for movies. It doesn't make sense to me but the sound difference is huge.

I would love to move to separates but that is not in the budget right now. I know that would make them sing.

Its hard to play when my little ones take up so much of my time lol.

post #4617 of 4653 Old 09-07-2017, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Downsizing from Vandersteen 3As

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't see the T2+ as downsizing much from the Vandys -- or as appropriate for a small room. Or for someone who doesn't want or need loud. It's more speaker than I need.

I haven't heard the KEF LS50. The poop sheet describes it as a "reinterpretation" of the LS3/5A using modern technologies. The powered version might make sense. But it is $2,300. And I own an Odyssey Audio amp and Bryston preamp. Years ago, I owned a pair of the JR 149s, an earlier reinterpretation. That worked fine in an even smaller room than I have now.

I don't really want a sub-woofer for reasons of space and potentially bothering the neighbors.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. But, on paper at least, either the Triton 7s or the Aon 3s make sense to me for a small room, where my Vandys are too large, and where there is no need (or desire) for loud.

I have put off selling the Vandersteens because they are just so good and sound so right. They are just larger than what I want or need I want these days.

I welcome any additional critical thinking on the subject.
healthnut likes this.

Last edited by flash900; 09-07-2017 at 02:09 PM.
post #4618 of 4653 Old 09-07-2017, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't see the T2+ as downsizing much from the Vandys -- or as appropriate for a small room. Or for someone who doesn't want or need loud. It's more speaker than I need.

I haven't heard the KEF LS50. The poop sheet describes it as a "reinterpretation" of the LS3/5A using modern technologies. The powered version might make sense. But it is $2,300. And I own an Odyssey Audio amp and Bryston preamp. Years ago, I owned a pair of the JR 149s, an earlier reinterpretation. That worked fine in an even smaller room than I have now.

I don't really want a sub-woofer for reasons of space and potentially bothering the neighbors.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. But, on paper at least, either the Triton 7s or the Aon 3s make sense to me for a small room, where my Vandys are too large, and where there is no need (or desire) for loud.

I have put off selling the Vandersteens because they are just so good and sound so right. They are just larger than what I want or need I want these days.

I welcome any additional critical thinking on the subject.
I'm on my third week with the Triton 7's. They have the ability to disappear for tv duties and sound sweet on musical passages.
On Blue-ray they can carry their small weight quite well whenever there is an explosion on bulletes flying.I am impressed by the 7's!
flash900 likes this.
post #4619 of 4653 Old 09-07-2017, 09:48 PM

I had a good audition of the Reference and was VERY impressed. I listened to it (driven by McIntosh pre amp and 275) next to a pair of Sonus Faber Venere S (driven by Parasound Halo Integrated). They cannot connect the 2 pairs to the same amp so they had to use 2 different amps and then swap. So comparison was not ideal but I still got some good idea. The Sonus Faber Venere S was very nice at $5000 but the Reference was simply better and worth the extra $3500. I then had a brief listen of the One but felt the Reference is a better buy.

So I'm very leaning towards the Reference. A question on pricing, would I be able to negotiate the price with my local dealer, and if so, by how much? I'm in California so sales tax alone is 9% already. Are GoldenEar's prices negotiable in general, and in case of the Reference, since it's a new model, would it be negotiable? Thanks.
Ediddy likes this.
post #4620 of 4653 Old 09-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Using Tritons with Pre-Out Connected to LFE In

Quote:
So I just did some testing with the Tritons and for movies it has to have LFE connected it sounds amazing. But as soon as I started playing music through my CD player in stereo the mid bass is not as full.. I connected them back up to the pre-outs and wow they sound like new speakers. It must be my receiver that has been throwing me out all these years lol. Something that the receiver does different than others.
I guess for now when I want to listen to music I will have to flip them from Pre-outs then LFE for movies. It doesn't make sense to me but the sound difference is huge.

I would love to move to separates but that is not in the budget right now. I know that would make them sing.

Its hard to play when my little ones take up so much of my time lol.
Hi, Based on what I am understanding, you are running Pre-Out into the LFE in, rather than LFE out and find the bass more dynamic on music. Basically, this would be the same as using the Bass Plus, Super Bass or Double Bass setting (whatever your processor calls it). This feeds the standard bass thru the speaker wires, and then layers on top of it another shot of bass again thru the LFE in, yielding "Double Bass". This is not really correct in terms of the most natural sound, but if this sounds better to you, so be it. It is all personal, after all. If all your settings are correct, when listening to two channel material, you should be getting no signal thru the LFE out, unless you are using Double Bass or, as you are doing, running Pre-Out into the LFE in. In terms of what you are hearing with movies, it is possible that bass management is sending the LFE into nowhere. I would guess that you have it set to Large Left and Right and Sub Yes. With the way you have the Pre-Out into the LFE-In, the LFE signal would not be outputted, as it would come out of LFE Out, but you are not using it, and would not be present in the speaker level out or Pre-Out, which would be the same, just Left and Right channel, and would not contain LFE. Thanks, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page