GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #451 of 2453 Old 03-09-2011, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wolvernole, you really didn't answer my question. Your response is based on speculation, not experience.

For those of you who experienced a muddy, uncontrolled bass, either in a showroom, or your room at home, approximately what was the size of the problematical room? Larger or smaller than mine? My room is 18' wide, 13' deep, with a cathedral ceiling rising 8 ' above the speakers to 12' above and behind my head.

Wolvernole, have you actually heard the Tritons in a given space? Approximately what was the size of the room? Please describe your listening experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2453 Old 03-09-2011, 08:03 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Is SuperSat50C capable center channel and can it keep up with Triton Two towers? From specs it seems like pretty decent center channel with two low freq drivers along with high freq ribbon and dedicated mid range drivers which are same as Triton Two Towers but would like to know how would they all perform together in real life HT application.

I posted above question few pages/weeks ago, and it seems like there are more owners since last time I posted on this thread. Any new owners can comment on SuperSat50C's performance in comparison to Triton Two towers? Thanks.
post #453 of 2453 Old 03-10-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, We apologize for the backorder situation on the Tritons. Demand and sales have been incredible and we are working hard to ramp up production. We have just shipped out another round and I expect that we should be fully caught up in about 60 days. In answer to otk's question regarding power handling: the Triton has a high-pass crossover on the mid drivers ( and also higher than would normally be encountered when the SS 50 is used as a satellite)so this allows us to up the recommended amplifier power. With regard to the questions of gallot, mimioguy and yyoo: I would like to investigate set-up etc. at the dealers that you visited. Can you let me know which ones they were? Thank you, Sandy
post #454 of 2453 Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the update Sandy. I ordered mine over a week ago, and got a call from the dealer yesterday telling me they would still be a few weeks away from delivery. Looking forward to running them through their paces in my own home.
post #455 of 2453 Old 03-10-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemac View Post

Wolvernole, you really didn't answer my question. Your response is based on speculation, not reality
For those of you who experienced a muddy, uncontrolled bass, either in a showroom, or your room at home, approximately what was the size of the problematical room? Larger or smaller than mine? My room is 18' wide, 13' deep, with a cathedral ceiling rising 8 ' above the speakers to 12' above and behind my head. Wolvernole, have you actually heard the Tritons in a given space? Approximately what was the size of the room? Please describe your listening experience.

I based my response on the perceived reality of the dimensions of the room you supplied. No further response from here.
post #456 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 12:31 AM

I just got a demo of the Golden Ear Super Sat 50's set-up as L/C/R and surrounds. The surrounds were set-up about 2' above ear level and directly adjacent to the listening position, just as you would set-up a dipole speaker.

These speakers are very dispersive, similar to a bipole, drawing little attention to itself. I was looking for a smooth sounding surround speaker with a smallish foot print........I think I found it.

Couple of questions:

1. What is the performance advantage of the SS 50 over the SS 3 in a surround role. Louder, more dynamic, goes lower, etc.? Is it worth getting the 50's?

2. If I want to mount the speaker horizontally instead of the more typical vertical orientation for a surround speaker would I just select the SS50C or SS3C? The "C" versions are normally used as a center channel speaker, but does it matter if its a surround speaker? The reason for this is if I go 7.1 the side speakers may have to use the horizontal orientation. Would I lose any of the dispersive qualities doing this or any other issues? In a 7.1 set-up could for instance the sides be set-up horizontally and the rears, vertically, assuming using the correct speakers for each ("C" version or regular)?

Thanks,
Greg
post #457 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

I posted above question few pages/weeks ago, and it seems like there are more owners since last time I posted on this thread. Any new owners can comment on SuperSat50C's performance in comparison to Triton Two towers? Thanks.

+1. Have a friend building a room and is looking for big sound smallish size. Anyone in Southern Missouri in this thread? Looking to audition some and KC and STL are 3 hours away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getech View Post

I hate to say it but it appears that the Golden Ear bruhaha is just that...these are quite similiar to the DefTech mass production speakers.. the tolerance issue does equate to less than acceptable repro. I would say that this is once again, a well hyped, chinese made, mass produced "dooty" (you can quote me here). Just my humble opinion though I've seen it many times before....buyers beware. Built in subwoofer, really?

Ax to grind much? Even if they are similar to Def Techs, there are many satisfied (including me) owners of those speakers. I agree the marketing efforts of both companies are of questionable value, but the fact that Sandy will hop on this thread and offer answers and help impresses me. As for a built in sub, what gives? Plenty of companies (Polk, Aperion, Infinity) use or have used that feature before. As long as you realize your room probably won't shake with just those providing bass, they can make for a nice full-range sound. If you've listened to the GE's please provide us with thoughts about your listening experience.
post #458 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I hate to say it but it appears that the Golden Ear bruhaha is just that...these are quite similiar to the DefTech mass production speakers.. the tolerance issue does equate to less than acceptable repro. I would say that this is once again, a well hyped, chinese made, mass produced "dooty" (you can quote me here). Just my humble opinion though I've seen it many times before....buyers beware. Built in subwoofer, really?

So where did you audition these?
post #459 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

From what I've been reading it appears the Tritons need a large room for the bass to be in balance. In a small room the bass can sound heavy and muddy even when dialed fully back.
My living room is 18' wide by 13' deep. I have a tongue-and-groove cedar cathedral ceiling that is 8' above the front wall (where the speakers are located, rising to 12' behind and above my head. How does my room size compare with the listenng venues that presented heavy, muddy bass? Anyone?

Your listening room is very similar to our showroom demo room, ours is 18ft deep by 13ft wide. We have a 10ft ceiling. All of our walls are treated, as is the ceiling.

The Trition's do need some play time in order to find the best setup position. We keep the volume knob at about 15-20% on the amp, these speakers have lots of deep, articulate bass. Anything more than that in OUR room does sound muddy and overpowering then.

The correct amount of "toe in" does wonders for the sound stage and bass response, my guess is that many of the demo's that people have heard (when sound is described as muddy) is due to a setup problem, with the speakers and or the electronics as well.

We don't even have our room correction turned on, that would take things to another level, but since we do have to demo multiple speakers, it would create an unfair advantage for one set over another, hence the reason to leave it off.

As per questions about the 50c keeping up with the Triton's, we finally have enough stock to have a front stage setup, I got to hear the 50 with the towers. It wasn't ideal as I was piecing together and the center was almost on the floor, but it did a fantastic job with dialogue. I was really impressed with it, I didn't think that a speaker with such a small footprint could have that kind of output.

We are running our Goldenear setup with an Anthem D2v and an A5 amplifier.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #460 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Hi, The 50s,as you suggest, do have more extended low frequency response (i.e. fuller sounding), play louder and are more dynamic. Whether it is worth getting these over the 3s for surround use is very much a personal question and decision. If the larger size and additional cost is not an issue for you, I would say why not? There are a bunch of listeners who have opted for Tritons front and rear. Would I recommend this? Really the same as my other response. Honestly, the 3s do a very good job as surrounds but a surprising (to me) number of listeners are opting for 50s-your choice. If you are using them horizontally, definitely the C version, which is optimized for horizontal use (the tweeter's dispersion pattern is different in both directions and so we felt that it was worthwhile to make two versions).
I appreciate Need4spdnd's comments regarding set-up. Needless to say, set-up is always important to get the best out of any speakers. One advantage of the Tritons is that you do have a level control to help tune the bass to the room as well as personal taste. It does have to be properly set. It is especially difficult, sometimes, for every dealer to optimally set-up every speaker in their showrooms. Often it is more difficult in the showrooms than in a home.We are continually working with our dealers (as well as purchasers) to try to help them optimize the speakers in their rooms. I think, as those who have gotten the speakers have found, that the results are worth the effort. Sandy
post #461 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 03:46 PM

Liked: 14
Sandy and others

I'd like to have the Triton's like most everyone else here, but I'm unable to use anything but on-wall speakers... no floorstanding, no ceiling, no in-wall, no hybrid, no exceptions. I can accept that, but I'm exhausted from reading reviews of one floorstanding speaker after another while the other speakers are simply viewed as to how well they compliment the... you got it... floorstanding speakers. Dealers in general are a disappointment, and I'm talking dealers 4 hours away. Either they don't carry a particular speaker I'm looking for or are unwilling to go through the effort to set up a demo.

I liked what I read about Paradigm and considered purchasing the Millenia 30 but the best demo I could get from an authorized dealer was to lay two of them horizontally on top of two towel covered speaker stands and play a music CD. This has become a game of chance... make my best guess, dish out my money, and pray they are what I hoped. Instead, I decided to hold off and see what CES offered and have been following GE and this thread since.

At this point I'm seriously considering a system with (5) SuperSat 50/50C speakers along with (2) ForceField 4 Subwoofers for my 5.1 system... or maybe that's a 5.2 system. But here I am again... can't find any professional reviews of the SuperCinema 50 system and no demos within 4-1/2 hours of me.

Sandy,

I've respected the fact that you've posted to this thread repeatedly for a while now and would very much appreciate your input in particular on the system I'm considering. Given identical surroundings, receiver, etc. how would my proposed system compare to one using (2) Tritons and (3) SuperSat 50's?

Thanks

Cobra Dave
post #462 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM

I spent about an hour listening to the Triton Two's at Gramophone in Columbia, MD. For the most part I can only echo what has been repeated in most every other review. Great bass definition, wonderfully smooth, extended and effortless tweeter, excellent imaging and sound stage. The only area I was not overly impressed with was dynamics and that may have been more of a problem with the limited source material I had on hand.

I do have one objection that is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I just can't get past the shiny black base and top that I feel make the speakers look cheap.

Does this bother anyone else?

Since the speakers ship with the base and top separate from the speaker I would really like to see Golden Ear offer (at extra cost) bases and tops made out of wood or metal.

Sandy, is that even possible?

Thanks,
Mike
post #463 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbw View Post
I spent about an hour listening to the Triton Two's at Gramophone in Columbia, MD. For the most part I can only echo what has been repeated in most every other review. Great bass definition, wonderfully smooth, extended and effortless tweeter, excellent imaging and sound stage. The only area I was not overly impressed with was dynamics and that may have been more of a problem with the limited source material I had on hand.

I do have one objection that is keeping me from pulling the trigger. I just can't get past the shiny black base and top that I feel make the speakers look cheap.

Since the speakers ship with the base and top separate from the speaker I would really like to see Golden Ear offer (at extra cost) bases and tops made out of wood or metal.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike-
Interesting that you mention this. I currently have a pair of Sandy's earlier products in the Def Tech BP 7004's. I too am bothered by the "shiny cap tops" and it effects my viewing of my large screen home theater...so I cut some flat black felt and placed it over the top of the Def Techs...yea, cheesy, but from a practical sense, it works. Yea, the black "piano finish" does not "match" with very many homes. I think most would say that GoldenEar is like Def Tech in saving money on the low-expense black sock covering plus black plastic cap...oh well.
post #464 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 PM

I agree about the look of the speakers. Must be a cost to benefit ratio. Function over form. I love the sound, but this time around I want something nice to look at too. Im coming from piano black atlantic tech boxes. If I had a true theater with hidden speakers, id buy them.
post #465 of 2453 Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Liked: 11
As much as I enjoyed my demo of the Triton 2's at CES this year I have officially given up on them. There is no dealer support in Nevada. Since I travel to CA frequently, I tried to get a friend of mine, who is a authorized dealer of many fine speaker manufactures such as Legacy, Usher, Danley etc.. to pick up this fine line of speakers. I have been ranting to him about how great they were and that if he picked up the line I would drive out and pick up a few pairs of the Triton 2's and a Sat 50 to start things up for him. To my disbelief, Goldenear would not agree. Are you kidding me?

I was also trying to get a Las Vegas store to pick them up. How much of an idiot do I feel like now? After promoting GoldenEar for the past few months all I get is a kick in the teeth!

Thanks
post #466 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post
Am I alone in being disappointed when I heard the Tritons? The bass was very muddy and overwhelmed everything, and soundstaging and imaging were mediocre. Maybe I heard a defective pair? I preferred Magnepan 1.7s, Totem Hawks, and several others near that price point. Ended up ordering the B&W 802 Diamonds, which were at a different level altogether in terms of sound and, of course, price.
Anyone else disappointed and care to comment?
post #467 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone else disappointed and care to comment?
do you still sell JL audio subwoofers ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #468 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlm9 View Post

As much as I enjoyed my demo of the Triton 2's at CES this year I have officially given up on them. There is no dealer support in Nevada. Since I travel to CA frequently, I tried to get a friend of mine, who is a authorized dealer of many fine speaker manufactures such as Legacy, Usher, Danley etc.. to pick up this fine line of speakers. I have been ranting to him about how great they were and that if he picked up the line I would drive out and pick up a few pairs of the Triton 2's and a Sat 50 to start things up for him. To my disbelief, Goldenear would not agree. Are you kidding me?

I was also trying to get a Las Vegas store to pick them up. How much of an idiot do I feel like now? After promoting GoldenEar for the past few months all I get is a kick in the teeth!

Thanks

Hi,

Just to put a light note on things, you do not have it so bad - think of me - I am way on the other side of the world with a whole ocean in between so next to me , you are in not so bad a a position!

GE seem to have only just started so it will take time to reach most areas & you do have a rather large land mass to cover so give them some time!

Bazzy!
post #469 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbw View Post

Thanks,
Mike

The sad fact is that glossy black is (apparently) a very popular finish. One need only visit any a/v store showroom floor to look upon row after row of Plasma & LCD flat panels to confirm this. It's slightly garish and tacky as far as I'm concerned, but folks like us are in the minority.

Once this speaker becomes more established in the marketplace, I suspect more finish options will follow. That's the typical pattern of product development & marketing.

Mourning the disappearance of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #470 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

do you still sell JL audio subwoofers ?

LOL

Guess GoldenEar is also discerning about who they allow to sell product.
post #471 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

LOL

Yes we are!!!! Sandy
post #472 of 2453 Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Allow me to copy my post from another thread.

I go to CES every year and listen to a lot of speakers. I consider myself lucky If I find one product that really stands out. Last year it was the Atlantic Technology AT-1 that delivered 30Hz from a 5.25" driver. It sounded really goood (deep tight bass). I thought that it was going to be a long time before something would be able to top it for the money. I was wrong, this year I wandered into the GoldenEar Technology room where Sandy was demoing his Triton Two speakers. I sat down and was quickly blown away by the sound quality coming out of these fairly small speakers. They imaged so well that I would not use a center speaker if I were to use this in a home theater setting. At one point I closed my eyes and remember thinking that if I were blindfolded I would truly believe that there was a center channel in the room. A few minutes earlier I had been listening to a pair of speakers that were close to $100K out the door and yet there I was in awe at what these speakers were able to do for the money. I wasn't the only one, everyone that walked into that room while I was there was impressed also. One of guys that came in was from one of the audio magazines and he said that based on the sound quality, he would compare them with other speakers that were selling for at least $15,000. I plan on making these my next speakers. These speakers really can compete with speakers many times thier price and they would not be at the end of the pack.
post #473 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM

I think what everyone is waiting for are enough of these speakers to be taken home and dialed into folk's listening rooms and home theater systems, and reporting back the results. I've ordered the Tritons, and a center, and am still a week or two from delivery. Perhaps there are several others in the same boat right now: awaiting delivery!

I based my purchase on a variety of issues, as well as two listening sessions. While I did not find them 'flawless' or 'perfect' to my ears in the dealer's environment, I heard enough positive qualities that convinced me to give them an extended stay in my home, where I can tweak at will. Soundstage, and articulate, deep bass were two big factors for me. Treble on some material admittedly didn't sit well with me, but it may be where I'm 'coming from' in regard to the current speakers I own. (Vandersteen 2CE Sig. II.)

So far, only two forum members that I can recall have relayed their listening impressions in their own homes for the Tritons. If there are others, please speak up!

b.
post #474 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 05:37 PM

Hi, First, in reply to Cobra Dave: honestly, what you are proposing would come very close to the Tritons, especially with the double ForceField 4s. The 50s are basically the same mids and tweeters, and in this case loaded by the passives. The subs are also quite comparable. You would be running the 50s down a little lower than the mids in the Tritons. The blending between the 50s and subs (especially with 2) will be very good. There is a review in process on a 50 system with one sub. The reviewer just started listening but seems quite pleased. Regarding the styling of the Tritons: Styling becomes a very personal thing. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that his wife paid the Tritons the "ultimate compliment" by saying that her living room looked better with the speakers than without them. Recently, I did a Music Matters event in Seattle where a woman came up to me and thanked me for designing a speaker that her husband wanted that was also sleek, beautiful and nice enough to put in her living room. And Darryl Wilkinson, in Home Theater Magazine, wrote," visually, the Triton Two Tower is stunning". But again, styling is a very personal thing. We were looking to design a sleek, stealthy kind of tower which was slim and sort of disappeared, especially when viewed from the front. There was a lot of attention paid to the form and subtle details (look at the way the logo is incorporated or the fact that the cabinet sits in the base rather than on it). As mentioned, gloss black is the finish of most TVs etc., but also, black goes with everything as opposed to various woods which really only go with the same woods. At my last company we tried to offer a beautiful wood alternative to the gloss end caps and they didn't really sell. Regarding the cloth, we (and many women) find this is a warmer softer alternative to wood or metal and you certainly find a lot of fabric in many living rooms. Also, the cloth has a performance purpose as it adds a dampening component to the cabinet which improves the sound. There is not a lot of gloss black, really it is just an accent. It would not be cost effective for us to offer alternatively finished tops and bases. In reality, I think that you will find it more cost effective to have a local woodworker make them for you in exactly the wood and finish (gloss, matte) that you want. Sandy
post #475 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Yes we are!!!! Sandy

I'm a little perplexed why you would allow a store like Magnolia Audio/Video (now part of Best Buy) carry your Def Tech line but limit yourself when it comes to your new loudspeaker line. It just doesn't add up. You have to know that with the limited dealer attitude that you are hurting a good percentage of people from ever trying/purchasing your product line, myself included

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #476 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

I'm a little perplexed why you would allow a store like Magnolia Audio/Video (now part of Best Buy) carry your Def Tech line but limit yourself when it comes to your new loudspeaker line. It just doesn't add up. You have to know that with the limited dealer attitude that you are hurting a good percentage of people from ever trying/purchasing your product line, myself included

Sadly, no dealer in GA or SC according to the locator, including in Atlanta's 5.5 million metro area.
post #477 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Amen. Please make your product available through amazon,com where all of us can bypass the dealers (the unavailable and the incompetent), obtain free shipping, no state tax and a 30 day trial period IN THE HOMEwhere it really counts. A number of high-end speakers are disseminated in this manner. Others are available direct from the manufacturer.
post #478 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:

Amen. Please make your product available through amazon,com where all of us can bypass the dealers (the unavailable and the incompetent), obtain free shipping, no state tax and a 30 day trial period IN THE HOMEwhere it really counts. A number of high-end speakers are disseminated in this manner. Others are available direct from the manufacturer.

30 day trial offers would likely end up causing the "manufacturer" to carry a rather large inventory of b stock or open box which ultimately would be dumped back into the market at a reduced price. Unilateral pricing at that point would not be sufficiently supported.
post #479 of 2453 Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, First, in reply to Cobra Dave: honestly, what you are proposing would come very close to the Tritons, especially with the double ForceField 4s. The 50s are basically the same mids and tweeters, and in this case loaded by the passives. The subs are also quite comparable. You would be running the 50s down a little lower than the mids in the Tritons. The blending between the 50s and subs (especially with 2) will be very good. There is a review in process on a 50 system with one sub. The reviewer just started listening but seems quite pleased.... Sandy

Sandy

Thank you very much... and I will make that call. On another note, I liked your comment about having a woodworker make other tops and bases for the Tritons. I have a woodworker that made most of the furniture in my house... just curious if the same can the same be done for the 50's?

Cobra Dave

I was surprised to find a PM from Sandy with the number of someone in Baltimore to call for assistance. Hopefully it's not the phone number to a Psychiatrists office
post #480 of 2453 Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Hi, In response to Dave's question regarding making custom endcaps for the 50s: the construction of these is such that there really is no separate endcap per se which can be removed. Regarding distribution: When we opened up Magnolia they were a small, high-end specialty chain. Of course they have morphed into something totally different as 400+- Magnolia Home Theaters within the Best Buys. Certainly they offer a valid alternative to the Best Buy main floors, but are not exactly what we are looking for with GoldenEar. With GoldenEar, the concept is to make better quality products than anything that I have done before (good as the Definitive product is) and sell through independent true high quality specialty stores who can properly demonstrate, have expertise and offer personal service. Sort of back to our roots in this regard. We are in the process of trying to find and open appropriate dealers all around the country so that hopefully all interested listeners have a convenient GoldenEar dealer. We currently have over 100 of the best dealers in the US on board, which is pretty good for a new company. This is a long process and I certainly encourage anyone who does not have a local GoldenEar dealer to encourage any appropriate specialty dealers in their area to contact us. Yes, we are picky and no, we will not sell to everyone. These decisions are difficult,complex and relate to many factors. Certainly we appreciate Carlm9s kind words regarding our speakers and his recommendation of GoldenEar to his friend. Unfortunately my sales manager did not feel that now was the right time in this case. Thanks, Sandy
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page