AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

Speakers

Anubisrocks's Avatar Anubisrocks
07:32 PM Liked: 10
post #541 of 2809
03-20-2011 | Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck View Post

A lot of you seem to be into the music side but I'm hoping some of you who get the Tritons home can put them through some HT stuff and report back. I don't listen to any music critically and if anything just have it on in the background.

While I am a critical music listener myself I do throw on the occasional movie or what have you and I'm waiting for the same reports.

(I'm unable to test the HT aspects at the dealer as they do not have that set up).
65Cobra427SC's Avatar 65Cobra427SC
09:56 AM Liked: 14
post #542 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 418
After reading a few comments here and on other sites about the low expense look of the Tritons, I was curious if anyone felt the same way about the SuperSat 50C. I realize they have that same glossy black finish and cloth front, but they are smaller and thinner. I guess I'm wondering if it's just the glossy black finish with black cloth that makes them less appealing to some, or if it's the actual quality. Personally I don't have a problem with black, but I've seen speakers where the cloth looked like something from the bargain basement. Of course I'll judge for myself one I get to see them in person but it would be nice to hear a comment or two until that happens. Thanks.
Dave
KLee's Avatar KLee
10:24 AM Liked: 11
post #543 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 1,716
I was just wonder how one would configure the speaker set up for the triton twos in a surround sound set up...

What I mean, is, if I had an 11.2 surround set up with the Triton Twos as the mains would I run them as full range "large" speakers if I also used a seperate subwoofer to supplement the LFE from the Triton Twos....

To be more specific:

L+R Mains: Triton Twos
Center:Super Sat 50C
L+R Wides:Super Sat 3
L+R Heights:Super Sat 3
L+R Side surrounds:Super Sat 3
L+R Rear Surrounds:Super Sat 3
Subwoofer:Rythmic F15

Although the Triton Twos seem to reach down pretty low, I would also like to supplement them with a dedicated subwoofer to get the very lowest frequencies the tritons cant reach.....would I be able to easily/smoothly blend a big sub with the Tritons and "unify" all 3 subs, so to speak?

I hope I am explaining myself correctly....
newbienoob's Avatar newbienoob
01:20 PM Liked: 11
post #544 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 119
Does anyone know if you can purchase the SuperSat 3's by mail through a dealer? The closest dealer to me is over 4 hours away in another state. Funny thing is the closest dealer to me in my own state is 6 hours away
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar WOLVERNOLE
02:43 PM Liked: 12
post #545 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee View Post

I was just wonder how one would configure the speaker set up for the triton twos in a surround sound set up...

What I mean, is, if I had an 11.2 surround set up with the Triton Twos as the mains would I run them as full range "large" speakers if I also used a seperate subwoofer to supplement the LFE from the Triton Twos....

To be more specific:

L+R Mains: Triton Twos
Center:Super Sat 50C
L+R Wides:Super Sat 3
L+R Heights:Super Sat 3
L+R Side surrounds:Super Sat 3
L+R Rear Surrounds:Super Sat 3
Subwoofer:Rythmic F15

Although the Triton Twos seem to reach down pretty low, I would also like to supplement them with a dedicated subwoofer to get the very lowest frequencies the tritons cant reach.....would I be able to easily/smoothly blend a big sub with the Tritons and "unify" all 3 subs, so to speak?

I hope I am explaining myself correctly....

Yes, loud and clear...I do not see any reason why not. I don't know however, exactly what you mean by "unify." Nevertheless, a GOOD dedicated sub is going to outdo the Triton side-firing subs. I'd recommend a 12" sub of some sort that can reach down to about 16db, and you will need to pay around $1200 +. Some are gonna argue that you can go cheaper (e.g. SVS or Hsu)...some will say you will need to pay MORE (JL Audio, Paradigm, etc., etc.) They're ALL correct, of course...just giving it IMHO, but that is my take.

Actually I am looking at two Triton Two (L/R) and then one dedicated sub in the back-left of the room, almost exactly as you described. That is essentially what I'm doing now, but with Def Tech BP-2004...gotta upgrade.

Best wishes !
Perpendicular's Avatar Perpendicular
02:48 PM Liked: 37
post #546 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 2,626
Am I to assume that the enclosures are made out of Aluminum in all the models?
03:34 PM Liked: 10
post #547 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

Yes, loud and clear...I do not see any reason why not. I don't know however, exactly what you mean by "unify." Nevertheless, a GOOD dedicated sub is going to outdo the Triton side-firing subs. I'd recommend a 12" sub of some sort that can reach down to about 16db, and you will need to pay around $1200 +. Some are gonna argue that you can go cheaper (e.g. SVS or Hsu)...some will say you will need to pay MORE (JL Audio, Paradigm, etc., etc.) They're ALL correct, of course...just giving it IMHO, but that is my take.

Actually I am looking at two Triton Two (L/R) and then one dedicated sub in the back-left of the room, almost exactly as you described. That is essentially what I'm doing now, but with Def Tech BP-2004...gotta upgrade.

Best wishes !

Glad this is being discussed because I am was wondering about the HT abilities of the Tritons.
I do have to mention though that HSU subs are anything but cheap. Price point is very good for the high end subs they offer. IMHO HSU subs will out-perform any sub Polk, Def Tech or Golden Ear can come up with and a few more.
klh007's Avatar klh007
03:48 PM Liked: 12
post #548 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Am I to assume that the enclosures are made out of Aluminum in all the models?

I think the 50 series is aluminum, the 30s are marble powder infused polymer, not sure what the Triton's cabinet is.
klh007's Avatar klh007
04:04 PM Liked: 12
post #549 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

Best wishes !

KLee, Wolvernole has good advcice, a sub would reach the lows in the LFE channel(below 30hz) for HT. I hope the measurements in Home Theater's review represent an issue in accounting for the passive drivers contribution, because the -3db point is 44hz and -6db is 36hz and dropping straight down from there. 20hz is shown 25db down! These measurements do not match up to the reviews which claim, on U-571 the depth charges were exceptional, some of the best I've heard or felt? Must be some sort of measuring anomaly with all the active and passive drivers spread out on 3 sides of the enclosure, hard to mike properly?
05:20 PM Liked: 10
post #550 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 1,041
It just remembered, the Tritons do have LFE inputs on them. Would that make a difference?
Bazzy's Avatar Bazzy
07:05 PM Liked: 30
post #551 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 1,239
Hi All,

Being in England, I will have to wait until a GE dealer will carry the line & also offer internet sales & or international shipping. I am waiting in the meantime for some reviews of the Supersat 50's & see how they stack up to the competition as there seem to many similar designed speakers like it unlike the Triton's. Over here in the UK, KEF introduced their T-Series not so long ago which are amazingly thin (1.4")!! & have been receiving outstanding reviews as well.

If I am correct, the only difference between the SS50's & SS3's are that the SS50's have two radiators & the SS3's do not. I would like to ask, that as the tweeter & twin drive units are exactly the same in both speakers, how much better would the SS50's really be over the SS3's?

I ask as the price difference is exactly double which seems an awful lot for the addition of just a couple of radiators - the main expense of the speakers must surely be the sound producing drivers should it not, so how comes the huge price difference & is it really justified? I cannot fathom that these radiators would cost more than the two main drive units & that fancy, super complex tweeter combined to cause the cost to double? It just seems a little strange to me but my knowledge is, as I have admitted in the past, a little limited compared to others!

Bazzy!
goldenear tech's Avatar goldenear tech
07:26 PM Liked: 34
post #552 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 153
Hi, More input: I'm glad Moraga is enjoying his Tritons-wait until they are fully run in. As he points out, you should do critical listening seated as the vertical dispersion is somewhat limited (on purpose) while the horizontal dispersion is quite wide.
One other point regarding high frequency response: believe me, I want to hear the beautiful shimmer of the cymbals too. But not the shimmer of a ringing tweeter added to the shimmer of the cymbals. There is a difference. And yes, a bright ringing tweeter can make a dead recording sound more live. But this artificial "Hi Fi Zing" is what we, and many other high end loudspeaker engineers have worked so hard to design out. One other point too: when you listen to speakers and try to relate it to live, make sure that you are relating it to natural live and not live sound reinforcement. There is a big difference. Even rock sounds much better, really a whole different world, when it is played at home loud but through a really good system, as opposed to at an arena.
Regarding 65Cobra427s questions/remarks about the grill cloth etc.: we have gone to a lot of trouble, in conjunction with a high end interior designer, to choose an acoustically transparent cloth, which was also very attractive in a subtle way. We do receive many compliments on the look and styling, but of course this is very personal. I am including part of an EMAIL that I received here in private messages as an example (I hope that this is OK with the sender) and it is very real: "in fact this is the first speaker my wife was really happy to order and not because of the way they sound but when I told her that these don't require separate subs and subs are built into speakers she was very happy and thrilled and she really liked the shape and look of Triton Twos and small footprint of SuperSat50C".
Regarding the set-up question from Klee: You can certainly add a separate sub on the LFE channel. As I have said,"bass is like horsepower, only you can decide what is right for you". You would set the left and right speakers to large and everything else to small. If your processor has a setting (I think some call it super bass or something like that) which sends some of the left and right channel bass to the sub, I would not use it. The bass on the Tritons is really quite excellent and is better than most separate subs, especially above 30 Hz and absolutely with music. If you add a separate sub for the LFE channel it will have to be a really good one in order to actually improve things as well as to not degrade the sound. Using it only on the LFE channel should minimize any negatives and hopefully give you what you are looking for. If you are getting Tritons, you might want to get them home, run them in and then decide if you really need a sub on the LFE channel. I am not familiar with the Rythmic subs so I really can't comment on them.
Regarding the question on the cabinet materials: yes,as Klh007 wrote, the SuperSat 50 is extruded aluminum, the SuperSat 3 is marble powder infused polymer and the Triton is high density MDF.
Finally, yes, Klh007 is very correct regarding the measurement anomalies that are encountered when you try and measure low frequency response (as I have said before). When you look at some of the measurements and try to relate it to what you or the reviewers hear, it just makes no sense. I don't know what to say. I and my engineers have had countless discussions with the good folks that try to measure these things and everyone walks away frustrated. In the end you have to trust your ears. Happy Listening Sandy
otk's Avatar otk
07:44 PM Liked: 15
post #553 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 7,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisrocks View Post
IMHO HSU subs will out-perform any sub Polk, Def Tech or Golden Ear can come up with and a few more.
i think the Def Tech Trinity would spank anything that HSU makes
09:45 PM Liked: 12
post #554 of 2809
Quote:
Glad this is being discussed because I am was wondering about the HT abilities of the Tritons.
I do have to mention though that HSU subs are anything but cheap. Price point is very good for the high end subs they offer. IMHO HSU subs will out-perform any sub Polk, Def Tech or Golden Ear can come up with and a few more.
Look at what I wrote please. I never wrote that they are "cheap." I wrote..well..."you can go cheaper." A Cadillac is "cheaper" than a Maserati. That does not make the Cadillac "cheap" (in price OR quality).
09:51 PM Liked: 12
post #555 of 2809
Quote:
It just remembered, the Tritons do have LFE inputs on them. Would that make a difference?
Well, I think there is virtual consensus that the best set-up on the Tritons (as well as any side-firing "built-in" sub speaker) is to set the Tritons on "full" (and go with traditional speaker wire for L/R) and then utilize the LFE for a dedicated sub/s...maybe crossover @ 80Hz (?)
09:54 PM Liked: 12
post #556 of 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post
i think the Def Tech Trinity would spank anything that HSU makes
The Def Tech Trinity is a seeeeerious sub (really built as a legit Flagship sub from them). The old CraigSub list had the Trinity toward the top of the "Bad Boy" subs
The reason I recommended a good quality, AND specifically, a 12" sub is so that it could both play loud, and deep, AND be "quick" enough/musical enough to keep up/surpass the Triton Two side-firing subs. I feel strongly that, say, a moderate-quality 15" sub would not match up w/ the GE Tritons...maybe/probably go deeper in Hz, but not a musical match. OK, I'm through.
Gregory's Avatar Gregory
10:51 PM Liked: 10
post #557 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 328
Question on the Super Sat 50's as surround speakers.........well, I guess this question doesn't matter if it's a surround or L/C/R, but that's how I will use them.

Per Home Theater Mag's measurement of the frequency response they rated the SS50's at -3 db at 107 Hz. For one, is this the correct value and if not, what is it?

Given an adjustable cross-over what cross-over frequency would you choose for this speaker? I'm concerned that too high a cross-over frequency would cause some localization issues from the subwoofer, although too low and there may be a hole.

Thanks,
Greg
Moraga97's Avatar Moraga97
11:31 PM Liked: 10
post #558 of 2809
03-21-2011 | Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
(snip).... Finally, yes, Klh007 is very correct regarding the measurement anomalies that are encountered when you try and measure low frequency response (as I have said before). When you look at some of the measurements and try to relate it to what you or the reviewers hear, it just makes no sense. I don't know what to say. I and my engineers have had countless discussions with the good folks that try to measure these things and everyone walks away frustrated. In the end you have to trust your ears. Happy Listening Sandy
Hi Sandy, I am trusting my ears, but really haven't tested the Tritons on HT level low end. There's been plenty of low end for the music I've been listening to, though.

The question I have is that you've obviously measured them during your own development and testing process, and published your measurements, which don't yet correspond with what has been published by some reviewers. How does your measuring process differ from the reviewer's methodologies?
How can it "just make no sense" as you put it? How would you advise them to measure more accurately the results?
yyoo's Avatar yyoo
12:59 AM Liked: 10
post #559 of 2809
03-22-2011 | Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb View Post

Let's take the Magnolia example to heart. I have been in to my local Best Buy/Magnolia shop many times. Not once have I been greeted by any sales people. The 1 time I actually asked questions (that I already knew the answers to), the sales person did not know the answers. Unfortunately, this is the norm, not the exception with Magnolia/Best Buy stores. These places cannot support a company like Goldenear right now, I don't know how they are gonna help B&W, I think that was a very unwise move by them.

Can't vouch for the Magnolias inside Best Buys, but I bought my B&W 802 Diamonds from a Magnolia standalone store and was wowed by their service. Their salesman cued up my CDs and switched back and forth between tracks and CDs, speakers, amps and preamps as I auditioned their equipment for an hour and a half. When my B&Ws were delayed, they loaned me their 802 Diamonds entirely on their own initiative. Four guys came over to place them in my living room and took great care not to scratch our floor.

On the other hand, my experience at two private high-end stores was less than stellar. At one very high-end dealer they made me feel I was imposing on them for walking in unannounced and asking to audition their equipment. At another (a dealer that carries the Tritons) from whom I purchased my amp and pre-amp (McIntosh 452 and C48), only after the purchase did they tell me that they wouldn't deliver to my home, which is 45 minutes from their store. So I drove there and picked them up. And I can tell you it was a real b****h getting that 120-lb amp onto my stand all by myself. In contrast, the Magnolia guys who delivered the loaner 802s told me they were headed to a town almost 2 hours away to do another delivery and installation.

What it comes down to is customer service is not about the name on the store marquee or whether it's part of a big chain or a boutique shop. It's about the individual salespeople and their attitudes. And that's why my favorite stereo shop is my local Magnolia in San Ramon, CA. Tell David or George I sent you.
KLee's Avatar KLee
12:19 PM Liked: 11
post #560 of 2809
03-22-2011 | Posts: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, More input: I'm glad Moraga is enjoying his Tritons-wait until they are fully run in. As he points out, you should do critical listening seated as the vertical dispersion is somewhat limited (on purpose) while the horizontal dispersion is quite wide.
One other point regarding high frequency response: believe me, I want to hear the beautiful shimmer of the cymbals too. But not the shimmer of a ringing tweeter added to the shimmer of the cymbals. There is a difference. And yes, a bright ringing tweeter can make a dead recording sound more live. But this artificial "Hi Fi Zing" is what we, and many other high end loudspeaker engineers have worked so hard to design out. One other point too: when you listen to speakers and try to relate it to live, make sure that you are relating it to natural live and not live sound reinforcement. There is a big difference. Even rock sounds much better, really a whole different world, when it is played at home loud but through a really good system, as opposed to at an arena.
Regarding 65Cobra427s questions/remarks about the grill cloth etc.: we have gone to a lot of trouble, in conjunction with a high end interior designer, to choose an acoustically transparent cloth, which was also very attractive in a subtle way. We do receive many compliments on the look and styling, but of course this is very personal. I am including part of an EMAIL that I received here in private messages as an example (I hope that this is OK with the sender) and it is very real: "in fact this is the first speaker my wife was really happy to order and not because of the way they sound but when I told her that these don't require separate subs and subs are built into speakers she was very happy and thrilled and she really liked the shape and look of Triton Twos and small footprint of SuperSat50C".
Regarding the set-up question from Klee: You can certainly add a separate sub on the LFE channel. As I have said,"bass is like horsepower, only you can decide what is right for you". You would set the left and right speakers to large and everything else to small. If your processor has a setting (I think some call it super bass or something like that) which sends some of the left and right channel bass to the sub, I would not use it. The bass on the Tritons is really quite excellent and is better than most separate subs, especially above 30 Hz and absolutely with music. If you add a separate sub for the LFE channel it will have to be a really good one in order to actually improve things as well as to not degrade the sound. Using it only on the LFE channel should minimize any negatives and hopefully give you what you are looking for. If you are getting Tritons, you might want to get them home, run them in and then decide if you really need a sub on the LFE channel. I am not familiar with the Rythmic subs so I really can't comment on them.
Regarding the question on the cabinet materials: yes,as Klh007 wrote, the SuperSat 50 is extruded aluminum, the SuperSat 3 is marble powder infused polymer and the Triton is high density MDF.
Finally, yes, Klh007 is very correct regarding the measurement anomalies that are encountered when you try and measure low frequency response (as I have said before). When you look at some of the measurements and try to relate it to what you or the reviewers hear, it just makes no sense. I don't know what to say. I and my engineers have had countless discussions with the good folks that try to measure these things and everyone walks away frustrated. In the end you have to trust your ears. Happy Listening Sandy

Thank you so very much sandy for the response.....yeah....I will be getting a rythmic sub, which I would consider a supreme quality sub, by any measure
Perpendicular's Avatar Perpendicular
01:05 PM Liked: 37
post #561 of 2809
03-22-2011 | Posts: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyoo View Post

Can't vouch for the Magnolias inside Best Buys, but I bought my B&W 802 Diamonds from a Magnolia standalone store and was wowed by their service. Their salesman cued up my CDs and switched back and forth between tracks and CDs, speakers, amps and preamps as I auditioned their equipment for an hour and a half. When my B&Ws were delayed, they loaned me their 802 Diamonds entirely on their own initiative. Four guys came over to place them in my living room and took great care not to scratch our floor.

On the other hand, my experience at two private high-end stores was less than stellar. At one very high-end dealer they made me feel I was imposing on them for walking in unannounced and asking to audition their equipment. At another (a dealer that carries the Tritons) from whom I purchased my amp and pre-amp (McIntosh 452 and C48), only after the purchase did they tell me that they wouldn't deliver to my home, which is 45 minutes from their store. So I drove there and picked them up. And I can tell you it was a real b****h getting that 120-lb amp onto my stand all by myself. In contrast, the Magnolia guys who delivered the loaner 802s told me they were headed to a town almost 2 hours away to do another delivery and installation.

What it comes down to is customer service is not about the name on the store marquee or whether it's part of a big chain or a boutique shop. It's about the individual salespeople and their attitudes. And that's why my favorite stereo shop is my local Magnolia in San Ramon, CA. Tell David or George I sent you.

I have experienced the same exact behavior you had with these high end boutiques for the past 10+ years. It's like we are bothering them when someone walks into their store. I will say, I haven't stepped foot in one since the economy took a dump but would assume that they are licking at potential customer's feet now, trying to make that sale. On the flip side of this, I've walked into a stand alone Magnolia A/V store before (Seattle, WA) a couple of times, to find several salespeople shooting the breeze and not one of them acknowledged me even after walking through the entire store for 20-40 minutes. I'm hoping that Goldenear periodically checks up on these stores that are selling their product. Then, one wonders why A/V Internet companies have taken a nice share of the pie with many offering in-home demos.

I talked to David & George and they don't know who the hell yyoo is.
rajdawar's Avatar rajdawar
11:15 PM Liked: 10
post #562 of 2809
03-22-2011 | Posts: 84
Sandy,
Hi. I have been following your illustrious career since the late great Julian Hirsch (Stereo Review) reviewed your first DefTEch BP towers and gushed that if he were in the market for speakers, these would be the ones that he would get!
Since then, I had waited to be able to afford a DefTech BP system for my HT. Finally, not too long ago, I was able to get a hold of a system comprising of the BP7002s up front, a C/L/R 3000 for the center and a pair of BP2Xs for surround duty. This is my current system and has provided me tons of listening pleasure - so Thank You!
My question: My listening room limits the placement of surround speakers to a rather high (about 11') location on the sides and slightly behind me. They are about 20' apart. Partly because they are bipolar and partly due to Audessey (I'm guessing), the surrounds blend fantastically with the fronts and the center and the wrap-around sound is great!
Given that, if I go the Triton Cinema route and replace my BP2Xs with the SS30s, am I going to lose the cohesiveness because they aren't bipolar? Or would you recommend just replacing the fronts (the two towers and the center) and depend upon Audessey to fix the tonal mismatch with the BP2Xs, if any?
Thanks a ton once again for giving us average Joes an entry into high-end sound affordably.
Raj
Mimioguy's Avatar Mimioguy
06:17 PM Liked: 10
post #563 of 2809
03-24-2011 | Posts: 35
Hi Sandy. Thanks for fixing that problem with the Tritons at Audio Concepts. I re-auditioned them this afternoon and they were a completely different speaker!
I compared them against some B&W CM9s in the same room and while the B&Ws had a clearer mid-range the Tritons pissed all over them for frequency range. The detail in the high end was crystal clear on the Tritons and all the way down to the bass was one lovely integrated symphony.
I could actually hear the gaps between frequencies in the B&Ws by comparison and the bass just ended up sounding separate and boomy while the high end seemed muted in some way.
Needless to say I plonked down my money and next week I shall be enjoying my new Goldenears.
Thanks again! All the best.
JohnAV's Avatar JohnAV
08:16 PM Liked: 84
post #564 of 2809
03-24-2011 | Posts: 6,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimioguy View Post

Hi Sandy. Thanks for fixing that problem with the Tritons at Audio Concepts. I re-auditioned them this afternoon and they were a completely different speaker!
I compared them against some B&W CM9s in the same room and while the B&Ws had a clearer mid-range the Tritons pissed all over them for frequency range. The detail in the high end was crystal clear on the Tritons and all the way down to the bass was one lovely integrated symphony.
I could actually hear the gaps between frequencies in the B&Ws by comparison and the bass just ended up sounding separate and boomy while the high end seemed muted in some way.
Needless to say I plonked down my money and next week I shall be enjoying my new Goldenears.

Your comparing speakers that have not been setup with a receiver or preamp equalization for starters or in the case of those CM's with a decent sub-woofer. The Tritons have a large active subwoofer built in to each speaker for serious L+R usage, but seriously the GoldenEar center is questionable. The TritonCinema Two surround speakers are tiny in my opinion. The GoldenEar dealer I was talking to, figures GoldenEar will introduce larger products against those speakers over time, but agreed that the center and the surrounds were pretty small compared to the Tritons.
Mimioguy's Avatar Mimioguy
08:37 PM Liked: 10
post #565 of 2809
03-24-2011 | Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

Your comparing speakers that have not been setup with a receiver or preamp equalization for starters or in the case of those CM's with a decent sub-woofer. The Tritons have a large active subwoofer built in to each speaker for serious L+R usage, but seriously the GoldenEar center is questionable. The TritonCinema Two surround speakers are tiny in my opinion. The GoldenEar dealer I was talking to, figures GoldenEar will introduce larger products against those speakers over time, but agreed that the center and the surrounds were pretty small compared to the Tritons.

Funny how you know how the speakers were setup in my demo. Can't remember you being in the room. Unfortunately, in the real world, I have to shop with my ears and to a budget. Budgets always introduce compromises.
I felt I was sacrificing less and getting more value for my money by choosing Tritons. In the ideal world I would have left with B&W 800 Diamonds but I don't have the $8000 to splash on that luxury at the moment.
vailvon's Avatar vailvon
09:00 AM Liked: 11
post #566 of 2809
03-25-2011 | Posts: 129
Quote:

How did Sandy fix the problem? I am also torn between the CM9 and Goldenear.. CM9 is more wife friendly as far as aesthetics and sounds good at the same time... I stopped by at one of the dealers in NJ to audition the Goldenear but forgot my CDs... The soundstage is good but the bass is a little too much and a bit muddy, the dealer set it around 1 o'clock.. I will give it another try with my CDs this weekend... I still feel that my sub sounds better than the Tritons... Leaning more on CM9 as of today, but want to hear the Tritons again before making a decision...
09:14 AM Liked: 10
post #567 of 2809
03-25-2011 | Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailvon View Post

How did Sandy fix the problem? I am also torn between the CM9 and Goldenear.. CM9 is more wife friendly as far as aesthetics and sounds good at the same time... I stopped by at one of the dealers in NJ to audition the Goldenear but forgot my CDs... The soundstage is good but the bass is a little too much and a bit muddy, the dealer set it around 1 o'clock.. I will give it another try with my CDs this weekend... I still feel that my sub sounds better than the Tritons... Leaning more on CM9 as of today, but want to hear the Tritons again before making a decision...

When I auditioned the Tritons (2 hours of listening) I found the bass to be a bit much on certain CDs even all the way down, but mostly if you have it one notch or 1.5 notches up your pretty much at the sweet spot, provided your in a large room and have them a good 3 feet from the wall with nothing around them. (In my space they would never work out).
I must say though that the highs on the Tritons are pleasant to listen to, nice and smooth. The mids have their moments though, but usually not bad at all. (The Tritons are one of the best for vocals mind you, they do exceptionally well there).
Overall though, having compared the Tritons with the CM9s myself, I found the Tritons outperformed the CM9s in the highs and lows (if one just didn't have to keep adjusting the subs), but the CM9s were better at mids. That's just what I experienced, everyone is different.
vailvon's Avatar vailvon
09:23 AM Liked: 11
post #568 of 2809
03-25-2011 | Posts: 129
That is the reason why I like the CM9, because of the midrange.. Vocals are really clear and high are not over the top. I have velodyne sub so I don't care about the low frequencies. The pairing with their center channel is pretty good too.

Still not giving up on the Goldenear though..
kplex's Avatar kplex
09:30 AM Liked: 11
post #569 of 2809
03-25-2011 | Posts: 3,590
Quote:

Next week? I ordered mine this week and was told the wait for the Tritons would be 3 weeks. Lucky guy.
jtodd777's Avatar jtodd777
10:12 AM Liked: 10
post #570 of 2809
03-25-2011 | Posts: 3
Would the Tritons be too much for a smallish rectangular room?
Length 20 ft 8 in
Width 10 ft 3 in
Height 7 ft 8 in

Large sectional sofa on the back long wall. Speakers need to be placed on the front long wall.

Thanks,
-Jeff

Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread