Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #631 of 2452 Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You'll love 'em. Just take your time setting them up and get back at least the width of their spacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2452 Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post

You'll love 'em. Just take your time setting them up and get back at least the width of their spacing.

Thanks for the advice, Wolvernole. I will use the most accurate tape measure I can find and aim for a equal sided triangle. That is what you mean, right? I hope they do well in my 18' wide by 13' deep living room, having a cathetral ceiling that rises from 8' in the front to 12' in the back. I plan to locate them at least 2 to 3' from the front wall.

I'm using the latest Audassey configuration which adds two extra wide speakers to the L&Rs, (DSX) and two high speakers (Dolby), both of which cannot be used simultaniously. So far I much prefer using the extra wides (DSXj) as apposed to the highs (Dolby). The four GoldenEar 3s will replace these four small Energy Take Five surround speakers. The tritons will replace the Moniter Audio Silver 6s.

I've recently read that during the second quarter of this year, DSX plans to release a surround configuration that allows both the extra wide and the high speakers to operate simultaniously. And studios may specifically release recordings that honor the center, L&R, L&R extra wides, and the two highs. I'm not certain if the two side surround speakers are included in the mix. I hope so.

In a few weeks I will report on the results. Stay tuned.
post #633 of 2452 Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Today marks 6 weeks since I ordered my Tritons. No word yet on delivery
post #634 of 2452 Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, We are really working diligently to catch up on our backorder, which we will. I very much appreciate everyone's patience. Some more responses: To Griley: You can certainly transition as you suggest. I think that you will find the timbre matching more of an issue with the center, than the rears, but in the short term your program will allow you to get to where you want to be.
To Geikel: I personally like tube amps, but a good solid state amp works really well too. It really depends on your budget and personal prejudices. I have used the Cayin for my loft in NY because I wanted something simple. In Maryland I use a pair of Atmaspheres with an Aesthetix IO. I have been listening to OTL tube amps since 1974 when Julius Futterman built me my pair of H3aas. Recently, in NY, I replaced the Cayin with a Decware SET integrated. I do enjoy being tweaky, why not? It is part of the fun for me. That said, we normally demo at the shows with a pair of Nelson Pass's class A amps with an Audio Research preamp. Last week I did an event with a Classe integrated, which sounded superb. And I've done several events with Peachtree Audio's I Nova, which also sounded very good. I've also used a $500 NAD integrated which worked well. Many of our dealers are selling the Tritons with Integra receivers, which work well, all things considered. The Anthem receivers are also very good. Really, a lot of this just comes down to personal taste and budget.
Regarding Ultralight 1's question: Although the set-up that you are suggesting is a little unusual, it will certainly sound good...if looking a little odd. The speakers actually sound excellent nearfield (close to the listener) and there would be no issue with the bass. That said, most listeners would opt for a system with SS 50s or SS 3s on the desk and one or two ForceField subs, just from a cosmetic standpoint. But, I'm sure that you are not necessarily "most people" so indulge yourself!
Regarding the comments about using an additional LFE channel sub in a home theater system: My general comment is that bass is like horsepower: some drivers are happy with the entry level Porsche 911 (which is certainly no slouch) while others want the firebreathing turbo. Same goes with bass. The bass with the Tritons built-in subs is outstanding and can provide a quite rousing experience with music or home theater. That said, I would be the last to say that adding a very, very good sub on the LFE channel for some of the more bombastic movies doesn't give you even more. Now again I say very, very good because anything less could actually compromise the performance and your experience with movies and especially with music. And I would use it only on the LFE channel and run the Tritons as Large. It is certainly not necessary, but either is a turbo Porsche or my Atmaspheres or an SET integrated. This is all about enjoying and indulging yourself. Have fun, Sandy
post #635 of 2452 Old 05-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Hi Sandy,

Has the MSRP on the triton 2 changed? I was at my local dealer, whom had sold his display model and had none to demo, but told me that he will be getting his store display this week. I asked him how much he sold his display pair, he told me, "standard MSRP, $3000". I thought the MSRP is $2500 for the pair. Is my dealer over charging or has the MSRP changed? if you can shed some light on this, that'd be great. thanks.
post #636 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, As you know, we can not tell the dealers what to charge for the speakers. I have heard rumors that some dealers were charging over list, as sometimes happens with very hot in-demand new cars and other consumer products. This is the first specific report that I have gotten. Our suggested retail is still $2500 for a pair of Tritons, although, as with all things it may go up but hasn't yet. Thanks, Sandy
post #637 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

As in EBay, if a product is hot commodity, prices can certainly soar. However, this is NOT a reselling auction website we are talking about. We are talking about "legitimate" authorized dealers. They should not be quoting an incorrect MSRP nor should they be upcharging for the Tritons. I say find another dealer if you can.

Do people know examples of other industry stores charging more than retail? I'm curious. Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about this?
post #638 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

I heard a pair of these from the local high-fi home theater shop down the street the guy sells def techs and mac's from what i can tell and they are one of the pilot dealers for golden ear. i dont know what models i heard but they were both medium satelites with a center and sub about 6 feet apart i was extremely impressed with the presence and sound stage they produced. i was told that these models were some of the ones that had ribbon tweeters. Very impressed and apparently the smaller speakers go for about $250 a pop. I have already sent customers there who want good home theater but have limited space and a small room. Defenitley worth checkin out!
post #639 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpitatn View Post

As in EBay, if a product is hot commodity, prices can certainly soar. However, this is NOT a reselling auction website we are talking about. We are talking about "legitimate" authorized dealers. They should not be quoting an incorrect MSRP nor should they be upcharging for the Tritons. I say find another dealer if you can.

Do people know examples of other industry stores charging more than retail? I'm curious. Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about this?

Happens all the time at car dealerships on new cars and special editions. Besides, he paid $2500 for the speakers and $500 to have them immediately!!!
post #640 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtyburd View Post

Happens all the time at car dealerships on new cars and special editions. Besides, he paid $2500 for the speakers and $500 to have them immediately!!!

When was the last time you paid more than list for a stereo product or a new car?
post #641 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

When was the last time you paid more than list for a stereo product or a new car?

i wanted a brand new 1987 buick grand national and since it was the last year they were being made and demand was hot, all the dealers within driving distance were charging a couple grand over list

sticker was 17. i paid 19

but i was a teen and probably wouldn't do something like that again

i did have a lot of fun with that car though
Paul_A/V likes this.

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #642 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:

All I did was answer your question. What do you care what he or anyone else paid. He is enjoying his speakers while a lot of people are waiting to get theirs.
post #643 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:

interestingly, the dealer told me that he did not want to part ways with his one and only pair of triton 2 on demo, but he sold it because his customer ended up buying a whole slew of other stuff from him, and that's why he sold his display pair to his customer.

I was just thinking to myself that "if someone else bought a whole mess of stuff, perhaps he can get some discount on the triton 2s, but he still paid $3000 for the pair?" that was kind of odd.
post #644 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:

All I did was answer your question. What do you care what he or anyone else paid. He is enjoying his speakers while a lot of people are waiting to get theirs.

Don't get so defensive. I'm curious as to what people paid extra for. Sorry if I sounded as if I was attacking you. I'd love to hear about other people's stories of buying something above retail because they felt it was worth it.
post #645 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM

The thread has gone off course. Overpayments have nothing to do with anticipation of the Tritons.
post #646 of 2452 Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody888 View Post

interestingly, the dealer told me that he did not want to part ways with his one and only pair of triton 2 on demo, but he sold it because his customer ended up buying a whole slew of other stuff from him, and that's why he sold his display pair to his customer.

I was just thinking to myself that "if someone else bought a whole mess of stuff, perhaps he can get some discount on the triton 2s, but he still paid $3000 for the pair?" that was kind of odd.

That's a little different. So the guy really wanted the demo pair to have the speakers ASAP. Then more power to him.
post #647 of 2452 Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was at a dealer and the employee quoted more than 10% above $2500 for the Tritons. I'm going to double check and if confirmed, I would never purchase any audio equipment from that vendor. Happens to be a major vendor but regardless, I would not support such a dealer.

UL
post #648 of 2452 Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Wanting to switch to a more fun topic other that pricing:

Has anyone set up a home theater system with just all Triton 2's and one Sat50 a center? Too much bass to try to control? Overkill since frequency range in the surround channels are limited?
post #649 of 2452 Old 05-04-2011, 12:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Last week I did an event with a Classe integrated, which sounded superb.

Thanks Sandy, that was a great 2 channel demo you gave last week, previously I only heard 5 channel. You had almost 45deg toe-in on the speakers and from anywhere in the room, even the back, the imaging was extremely wide. It was like a wall of sound. The speakers were maybe 8-10' apart. I still need to hear the speakers with music that has a good drum beat though, like the opening of "Hotel California". That's the last test for me.

I'm leaning towards the Anthem MRX-300 receiver.

Wish I could have heard more of your talk, I had to leave early
post #650 of 2452 Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6 View Post

Thanks Sandy, that was a great 2 channel demo you gave last week, previously I only heard 5 channel. You had almost 45deg toe-in on the speakers and from anywhere in the room, even the back, the imaging was extremely wide. It was like a wall of sound. The speakers were maybe 8-10' apart. I still need to hear the speakers with music that has a good drum beat though, like the opening of "Hotel California". That's the last test for me.

I'm leaning towards the Anthem MRX-300 receiver.

Wish I could have heard more of your talk, I had to leave early

I didn't get to hear the demo, too bad, since I do like Classe products. I already played Hotel California on the album Hell Freezes Over the first day after my break-in period. I think anyone who is dubious about the tightness/quality of the built-in subs on this $2500 pair of speakers can be shown the light within the first 2 minutes of the song.
post #651 of 2452 Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM

I ordered the TritonCinema II two weeks ago after reading many reviews and postings, then hearing them and was blown away. I call it one of those, "Oh My...." moments. We have a few of those in our lives. This was one of mine.

I have a question though or concern. I heard them at Deluxe Audio Video in Naperville, Illinois. BTW,dealt with Bob Servos and thoroughly enjoyed working with him. His demo setup was using "anthem D2V with an anthem A5 amplifier". My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A2000. I know my receiver will drive the Triton II's, but am I going to be dissappointed with the performance from my receiver? Anyone have any ideas? Sandy, any comments?

Also Bob told me it would probably be 5 weeks from the time I ordered them till they come in. Is that still a good time frame?
post #652 of 2452 Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceP
I ordered the TritonCinema II two weeks ago after reading many reviews and postings, then hearing them and was blown away. I call it one of those, "Oh My...." moments. We have a few of those in our lives. This was one of mine.

I have a question though or concern. I heard them at Deluxe Audio Video in Naperville, Illinois. BTW,dealt with Bob Servos and thoroughly enjoyed working with him. His demo setup was using "anthem D2V with an anthem A5 amplifier". My receiver is a Yamaha RX-A2000. I know my receiver will drive the Triton II's, but am I going to be dissappointed with the performance from my receiver? Anyone have any ideas? Sandy, any comments?

Also Bob told me it would probably be 5 weeks from the time I ordered them till they come in. Is that still a good time frame?
Glad to see a fellow Illinoian! I too bought mine from Bob. I will tell you that these speakers are more than good enough to reveal the strengths and weaknesses of other components. You will likely tell the difference playing off your AVR from Bob's Anthem system. You will likely tell more of a difference with your room from his demo room.

Will you be less blown away with the Yamaha? Realistic answer is yes probably. But will you be disappointed? I highly doubt it. If you weren't disappointed with your Yamaha and current speakers, you definitely be happier with the Tritons. I am. I have played my Tritons on Onkyo, Denon, and Integra receivers. I also had them in my 2-channel system with Musical Fidelity. Yes as the quality of the components are better, the Tritons really showcase their stuff.
post #653 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 AM

Hearing many of you have to wait for weeks or months to get your Tritons, I consider myself lucky. The dealer is 5 miles away from my house. I visited them for auditioning GoldenEar speakers. In less than two hours, I was back home with seven speakers.

In my previous comment, I mentioned about soundstage created by Tritons. I need to correct that. I found that my chair was a bit far away for ideal soundstage. When I moved the chair couple of feet forward, the sound stage really opened up. It is much wider now extending beyond and above the speakers. Literally, it is like listening to a wall of sound. Since my speakers are behind acoustic transparent screen, they are not visible to the listener. It is difficult to pinpoint the location of the speakers by listening to them. Then it depends on the recording also. Some tracks produce very impressive soundstage, some not.

The stereo imaging is also more precise after I moved the seat.

I am basically a home theater guy. But thanks to Tritons, these days I spend more time listening to 2 channel music than watching movies.
post #654 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 AM

Thanks for your response. The wall of sound or sound stage effect or what I call spatial effects that I heard in the listening room are at the root of my question. Will that effect likely be lessened with my RX-A2000 vs the Anthem?

There have been a few messages referring to positioning being very important. I have limited options for positioning in my room. I understand that the toe in of the Triton II's is important and obviously some distance from the wall. Recommendations on figuring out the sweet spot?
post #655 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 AM

VinceP,

What the Tritonm manual recommends is to keep the distance between speakers between 75% and 100% of the distance from each speaker to the seat. This means if your seat is 10 feet away from each speaker, the distance between speakers should be between 7.5 feet and 10 feet. Then toe in the speakers so that lines from them will meet slightly behind the listening position. If it is practical (not for me) keep them couple of feet away from side walls and front wall. This will probably give you the best soundstage effect.

I think you will get excellent soundstage with your Yamaha receiver. I have another setup with an old Harmon-Kardon receiver (less than $500) and much less expensive Episode speakers. This set up produces amazing soundstage comparable to Tritons. So I don't think your Yamaha will limit the soundstage, even though Anthem may take Tritons to even higher levels of performance.

Hope this hleps.

Raghu
post #656 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceP View Post

Thanks for your response. The wall of sound or sound stage effect or what I call spatial effects that I heard in the listening room are at the root of my question. Will that effect likely be lessened with my RX-A2000 vs the Anthem?

There have been a few messages referring to positioning being very important. I have limited options for positioning in my room. I understand that the toe in of the Triton II's is important and obviously some distance from the wall. Recommendations on figuring out the sweet spot?

I have mine hooked up to an RX-A3000 and am quite pleased with the results.
Just be patient, experiment and utilize the YPAO setup in the receiver. Pure Direct mode for two channel music listening and once you get em dialed into your environment I am sure you will be happy with your results also.
As for soundstage, when showing off my new setup using the pure direct setting with music almost every time I play them for someone the first time I get asked - "WOW! Now let me hear them with the surround turned off." One of my discerning buddies was in such disbelief that I disconnected the wires from my SS50 center speaker to prove it. I think he's still in denial.
post #657 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Wirenut697,

You said it right. When I play in 2 channel mode, for some tracks, sound stage is really 3D. It is not just a wall of sound, but it extends into the room towards the listener. My friends always think the surround mode is on and the surround speakers are active, while it is just a pair of Tritons doing the magic.

With few tracks with excellent soundstage in 2D mode, it becomes absolute bliss when I engage Neural THX 7.1 mode on my Onkyo processor. I just relax, close my eyes and experience something similar to meditation.

I don't want to give the impression that these are possible only with Tritons. With any high quality speakers one should be able to achieve these. With Tritons, you can do it without taking a second mortgage on your house.
post #658 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 12:55 PM

I own a 7.1 system of Def Tech ST and am looking at these GoldenEar speakers. Has anyone compared them?

Michaelmorio
post #659 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceP View Post

I am 9 feet from the Tritons and they are 8 feet apart. I have them toed in so the lines meet 2.5 feet behind me. That for my room has been the best balance between soundstage, depth, and imaging.

You most likely will NOT lose the wall of sound you perceived at Deluxe. With your Yamaha you should be very pleased with the sound.
post #660 of 2452 Old 05-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelmorio View Post

I own a 7.1 system of Def Tech ST and am looking at these GoldenEar speakers. Has anyone compared them?

Michaelmorio

I compared 2 channel with the Mythos STS and preferred the Tritons. I didn't really compare the ST since I assumed (maybe I shouldn't have?) that the Tritons would be preferred even more.

The area where I really was convinced was in that tweeter. The highs were just SO smooth but even more airy and detailed than the Mythos. Granted I only spent about 15-20 minutes comparing, so take my impression with a grain of salt.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page