GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #721 of 2603 Old 06-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last weekend I got chance to listen to GE TritonCinema Two (full HT setup) in local dealer's showroom. Before coming to acoustics, a word on size - one of my needs is to find speakers which take minimal real estate and this set up satisfies that perfectly. The towers look slim from front, although they are quite big. I don't know in what way their shape affects the sound, but great form factor for my kind of requirement. Similarly, center and surrounds were quite small, when compared to other good brands. Overall, size and shape wise, they fit perfectly to needs of those who don't have exclusive theater/music room.

Now to main part, acoustics. I'm not an audio buff or audiophile so can only talk in non-technical terms. For auditioning movie sound I used Flyboys' aerial combat scene. The base was really good for me. It wasn't hard hitting or punchy but then may be this scene was not perfect to test that. Another customer had brought 'House of flying daggers' and played drum scene, which sounded excellent even when I was not in the sweet spot. While towers were doing their job excellently, one thing though I couldn't ascertain was center and surround's quality. May be because sound gel'd in nicely or may be just psychological but somehow the towers grabbed all the attention. In my next visit, this aspect will be one of my focus.

For music, I used a foreign OST having lots of cymbals and drums and a CD from dealership which had hotel California live version, another live song in female voice, and two studio recordings - both same music but one in guitar and other in cello. These tracks were played in stereo (so only towers were active). Overall, sound was pleasant to my ear and realize what it meant 'not fatiguing'. Somehow it felt smooth, feeling like both speakers coming together for this sound. It was hard to believe that center speaker was not active. I think mixture of base and highs really came together in the presentation.

Overall, I was impressed but then I'm just a novice in this field. So I decided to compare Tritons with Paradigm Studio 100 and B&W 800 diamonds (I asked for one comparable set of speaker in this price range and other whatever is the best in the showroom). I won't write anything about 800s However, Paradigms did sound more clear to me than Triton. May be even little sharp. With Hotel California, I thought I heard occasional sound as if speaker gets torn or punctured (I was going to ask but thought that's not possible for this store's demo unit). Despite that, Paradigm overall sounded clearer. On the other hand, Tritons were soft though not washed out. Better analogy would be - Paradigms presented each individual ingredient of a cupcake separately and you can taste each ingredient separately (in good way) and yet enjoy the cupcake. On the hand, Tritons somehow managed to bring all tastes together into tasting it like cupcake and leaving you wonder, hmmm I think I know what's in there but cannot pinpoint. (Yes, I have sweet tooth).

So, I thought overall Tritons fared well and I'll certainly go again this weekend to test them out further. Compared to Paradigms, I think I'm leaning towards Triton but not yet sure. One question for readers here is, what songs/CDs would you refer to test out Tritons thoroughly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2603 Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdio View Post

Last weekend I got chance to listen to GE TritonCinema Two (full HT setup) in local dealer's showroom. Before coming to acoustics, a word on size - one of my needs is to find speakers which take minimal real estate and this set up satisfies that perfectly. The towers look slim from front, although they are quite big. I don't know in what way their shape affects the sound, but great form factor for my kind of requirement. Similarly, center and surrounds were quite small, when compared to other good brands. Overall, size and shape wise, they fit perfectly to needs of those who don't have exclusive theater/music room.

Now to main part, acoustics. I'm not an audio buff or audiophile so can only talk in non-technical terms. For auditioning movie sound I used Flyboys' aerial combat scene. The base was really good for me. It wasn't hard hitting or punchy but then may be this scene was not perfect to test that. Another customer had brought 'House of flying daggers' and played drum scene, which sounded excellent even when I was not in the sweet spot. While towers were doing their job excellently, one thing though I couldn't ascertain was center and surround's quality. May be because sound gel'd in nicely or may be just psychological but somehow the towers grabbed all the attention. In my next visit, this aspect will be one of my focus.

For music, I used a foreign OST having lots of cymbals and drums and a CD from dealership which had hotel California live version, another live song in female voice, and two studio recordings - both same music but one in guitar and other in cello. These tracks were played in stereo (so only towers were active). Overall, sound was pleasant to my ear and realize what it meant 'not fatiguing'. Somehow it felt smooth, feeling like both speakers coming together for this sound. It was hard to believe that center speaker was not active. I think mixture of base and highs really came together in the presentation.

Overall, I was impressed but then I'm just a novice in this field. So I decided to compare Tritons with Paradigm Studio 100 and B&W 800 diamonds (I asked for one comparable set of speaker in this price range and other whatever is the best in the showroom). I won't write anything about 800s However, Paradigms did sound more clear to me than Triton. May be even little sharp. With Hotel California, I thought I heard occasional sound as if speaker gets torn or punctured (I was going to ask but thought that's not possible for this store's demo unit). Despite that, Paradigm overall sounded clearer. On the other hand, Tritons were soft though not washed out. Better analogy would be - Paradigms presented each individual ingredient of a cupcake separately and you can taste each ingredient separately (in good way) and yet enjoy the cupcake. On the hand, Tritons somehow managed to bring all tastes together into tasting it like cupcake and leaving you wonder, hmmm I think I know what's in there but cannot pinpoint. (Yes, I have sweet tooth).

So, I thought overall Tritons fared well and I'll certainly go again this weekend to test them out further. Compared to Paradigms, I think I'm leaning towards Triton but not yet sure. One question for readers here is, what songs/CDs would you refer to test out Tritons thoroughly?

The best advice I can give you here is play songs you are familiar with and know how they should sound at certain places in the tracks, by now you should know how they have sounded since you have heard them before.

Techlord

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #723 of 2603 Old 06-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post

Thanks for the info .. I'll try to keep an open mind based off your recommendation ..

This is a little tangent from your post but here goes ..

I'm not a typical speaker buff because of my sensitivity to highs. Even laid- back soft dome speakers can sometimes cause me discomfort and ringing after 15-20 minutes. I love the higher end B&W's, but I can't deal with Paradigms because of it. Haven't heard SF.

I've been slowly putting my home theater together over several years as the budget allows, and I have a pair of Salk Songtower sats and a Songcenter. I'm at the point to buy the Songtowers or go in a different direction. The ear thing does mess with me sometimes after 15 minutes on my pair of Salks sats. I personally believe the Songtowers are a better speaker than the Tritons though, but I may be able to live easier with a speaker like the Tritons. I have heard both the Songtowers and the Ht2-Tl's .. For the record, Higher end B&W's and Dynaudio's do not give me trouble .. those are an affordability problem

Also .. My additional gear at home is an Integra 40.2 Processor with an Emotiva 5 channel amp 200w per chann. Also, an Epik Empire.

I went and listened to the Goldenears for a second time and spent about an hour with them with my own cd's. It reinforced my initial thoughts of them. Nice speaker. Non-fatiguing highs. Somewhat hollow mid-range and high end. Great Value for the money. They were powered off of Rotel Separates.

In the room next to the Goldenears were a set of Sonus Faber Toy speakers. I thought these were a much superior speaker at 2700-ish$. They didn't have the dynamics of the Goldenear Tritons though. The SF set was running off a Anthem AVR.

XBL : SAVIOUR KING
post #724 of 2603 Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I love my Triton Cinema system. Not only is the sound exceptional, but the WAF is through the roof. In the past, my wife has at best tolerated my audio purchases. She hated my SVS sub and my Krell amp. She liked the sound from my Scintilla's but didn't particularly like the way they dominated the room.

With the Golden Ears, she loves the sound, and she's just as happy with how they look. All in all, a total win win situation.
post #725 of 2603 Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Thanks for contributing. Not.

I’ve been distracted by 3D projectors and haven’t read this thread in several months. It’s disturbing to see the badgering of Sandy here because a potential customer is “inconvenienced”.
Everything is not all about the money. Sandy may have left some money at the table RIGHT NOW but he is developing a company which probably has better long-term potential.
If you can’t figure it out, Sandy is a people person, not a mail order man. I’m glad to see some local stores stay in business. Even Best Buy is threatened by Amazon. Then we won’t be able to see HDTVs either before purchase. The fact is the pendulum will swing back. Quality will always sell even locally.

The retail marketplace is saturated with companies which fail from expanding to rapidly. Golden Ear still has a backlog, so some potential customers will be disappointed. They could not provide enough products to sell at Amazon, even if they wanted too. Still, his dealer network has expanded from 40 to 100 dealers in six months. This is remarkable and takes an excellent business plan to succeed. The facts are they are working very hard to make the products available and keep the quality standards high.

I wonder how much time it took to write the many posts to this thread. Certainly a lot more time than to drive to the darn dealer. I’ll bet if you told the dealer you drove three hours that they would give you a credit for your effort. Try working towards people’s good side, you might get further. Otherwise write your congressman and force ALL manufactures to sell at Amazon.
Most people learn patience as they get older. This age of instant gratifications has many physiological drawbacks- like expecting to score on a first date. We all have to gown up and realize that we can’t get everything we want in life, and some things take a bit of effort.

I purchased from the first batch of Triton Two Towers after auditioning them for an hour. After my sale was completed, it was announced that the bass amplifiers input module had been updated. So four months after the sale, the local dealer came out in their van with two installers (30 minute drive) and lugged the speakers downstairs and took them to the shop to be updated.
Now their technician is installing the updates that were promptly shipped from the factory. Then they will redeliver the speakers back to my upstairs media room. All at no cost to me. How would Amazon handle that?
** Not **
The reality is their local full service local business model has served me better than I ever could have imagined.
I value my relationship with the dealer, who has been very honest in evaluating products and technology. That is, they too have decades of expert experience and they agree with my assessments. These are rare and noble traits as compared to the frankly speaking lost mp3 generation. I hope Sandy's before mp3 dealer network can enlighten them.
Its all about the music!
Paul_A/V likes this.
post #726 of 2603 Old 06-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi, Just returned from a trip to Chicago and met with many interested enthusiasts. Just one question to answer: In response to tbucher's question regarding mounting the SS 50- If you mount the 50 vertically (and if you mount vertically, get the 50 and not 50C) as a center, which is fine, you are saying that the top of the speaker will be at ear level. This should be OK but if you want it perfect (and why not) if you angle the 50 just a little up (this should be easy to do with just a little bit of spacer between the bottom of the speaker and the wall) you can be right on axis with the tweeter. It won't take much of an angle.I assume that you can't, for some reason, use a horizontal one.
One other comment: I think that it is important, when you are doing critical listening, not to confuse added brightness for clarity. When you set the tweeter level up, it often sounds like the sound is clearer, but it really isn't. Added brightness may sound better with dull program material but will be fatiguing over time with material which isn't dull. What we are trying to do at GoldenEar is to design neutral speakers which allow you to hear the program material without adding or subtracting. I thought that awdio's cupcake analogy was very interesting. He said that the Triton was like a cupcake where the ingredients," all taste together into tasting like a cupcake" where,"I know what is in there but can't pinpoint". A great speaker is like that. We put a tremendous amount of effort into blending all the drivers so that you don't hear mids and highs etc., but rather "just" hear instruments or voices or whatever sounds of whatever that have been recorded. Like tasting the cupcake and not the ingredients. Very good analogy
post #727 of 2603 Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Sigh... I thought this issue had died, but apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

I've been distracted by 3D projectors and haven't read this thread in several months. It's disturbing to see the badgering of Sandy here because a potential customer is "inconvenienced".

Your attempt to diminish the significance of the value placed on my time is not well founded, nor was it successful. Sneer all you want, but my time means something to me, so the inconvenience aspect you seem to put so little worth on is of considerable consequence.

Quote:

Everything is not all about the money. Sandy may have left some money at the table RIGHT NOW but he is developing a company which probably has better long-term potential.

I would strongly contend otherwise. Leaving any money on the table is not a wise business decision. You don't achieve much success if your business plan is too narrow.

Quote:

If you can't figure it out, Sandy is a people person, not a mail order man. I'm glad to see some local stores stay in business. Even Best Buy is threatened by Amazon. Then we won't be able to see HDTVs either before purchase. The fact is the pendulum will swing back. Quality will always sell even locally.

"Quality will always sell even locally"? Really? Were that true the stores would not have closed in the first place. As I mentioned earlier, I too would love to have a local stereo shop, but in the 21st century that model is almost impossible to make work. I don't like it either, but pretending it's not reality won't make it any less so. Will the pendulum swing back? I have my doubts, but if it doesn't that could spell doom for all those late to the party. Again, just ask Blockbuster how that worked out for them.

Quote:

The retail marketplace is saturated with companies which fail from expanding to rapidly. Golden Ear still has a backlog, so some potential customers will be disappointed. They could not provide enough products to sell at Amazon, even if they wanted too. Still, his dealer network has expanded from 40 to 100 dealers in six months. This is remarkable and takes an excellent business plan to succeed. The facts are they are working very hard to make the products available and keep the quality standards high.

New company run by someone with strong industry cred is what Goldenear essentially is, so it's no wonder the initial backlog is big. Anticipation + "work in progress" manufacturing = open orders. That's pretty much always the case, so it shouldn't come as a surprise. But what happens when the initial run of orders is over? Expanding from 40 to 100 dealers is certainly laudable, but you could have easily eclipsed the market share of that 10x over by getting a single on-line retailer. And you could have done it while expended a fraction of the cost and effort associated to the dealers-only route. That sounds more like a win-win to me.

Quote:

I wonder how much time it took to write the many posts to this thread. Certainly a lot more time than to drive to the darn dealer. I'll bet if you told the dealer you drove three hours that they would give you a credit for your effort. Try working towards people's good side, you might get further. Otherwise write your congressman and force ALL manufactures to sell at Amazon.

Not much time at all, really. I type very fast -- been in the computer business for over 25 years -- so it's really no effort for me to bang out paragraphs at a time.

Quote:

Most people learn patience as they get older. This age of instant gratifications has many physiological drawbacks- like expecting to score on a first date. We all have to gown up and realize that we can't get everything we want in life, and some things take a bit of effort.

Spare me the veiled attempted at an insult; I certainly don't need to "gown up" in order to understand reality.

Quote:

I purchased from the first batch of Triton Two Towers after auditioning them for an hour. After my sale was completed, it was announced that the bass amplifiers input module had been updated. So four months after the sale, the local dealer came out in their van with two installers (30 minute drive) and lugged the speakers downstairs and took them to the shop to be updated. Now their technician is installing the updates that were promptly shipped from the factory. Then they will redeliver the speakers back to my upstairs media room. All at no cost to me. How would Amazon handle that? ** Not **

Finally, something of value.

You're correct; Amazon would have said contact the manufacturer. But just because your local shop choose to assist doesn't mean they all would. And when you purchase on line it's caveat emptor, just like anywhere else of course, but perhaps more so. It's the nature of the beast, and we're all subject to it when you buy from the internet, so no one is immune. It's an accepted part of doing business that way, warts and all.

But your local dealer doesn't instantly equate to any measurable degree of protection either. There isn't a single person reading this who hasn't been screwed by a brick-n-mortar store on some transaction, so I'm not sure that walking into a store instantly gives you leverage.

Quote:

The reality is their local full service local business model has served me better than I ever could have imagined. I value my relationship with the dealer, who has been very honest in evaluating products and technology. That is, they too have decades of expert experience and they agree with my assessments. These are rare and noble traits as compared to the frankly speaking lost mp3 generation. I hope Sandy's before mp3 dealer network can enlighten them. Its all about the music!

Just because it works for you doesn't mean that's the case with everyone else. Having a local dealer benefits you, which is great, but that's not the case with a notable percentage of us. Even those willing to trek to a dealer may not have one close enough to make that feasible, which means the competition gets the sale.

And to reiterate; I don't enjoy that aspect either, but disliking it doesn't change it one iota. Regardless of personal preference that's not the business model followed by the vast majority of companies today. I honestly wish that wasn't the case myself, but there's simply no refuting it.

As a side note... Sandy and I PM'ed several times after our initial posts, so a lot happened behind the scenes you're unaware of. We continued to press our individual viewpoints, but ultimately agreed to disagree. We left it that way, which I prefer, so I don't wish to belabor the issue anew. Therefore, this will be my last post on the topic. To ensure the thread doesn't get polluted further with this debate -- at least with my point of view anyway -- I'm unsubscribing as well. If you wish to persist feel free. I know Sandy's opinion on the topic better then most, so I'm confident this is the best choice.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #728 of 2603 Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

can't you just call or email some dealers and ask if they ship ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #729 of 2603 Old 06-20-2011, 09:22 AM

Hi Jim,

You do have a choice. I ordered mine 2 hrs away and they offered to ship but I'd like to pick them up myself. Just a thought!

And by the way, I also love them so much now that they've been fully broken in. To my ears and system, they sound like my Sonus Faber Concertos with much bigger subs

DG
post #730 of 2603 Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post

Hi Jim,

You do have a choice. I ordered mine 2 hrs away and they offered to ship but I'd like to pick them up myself. Just a thought!

And by the way, I also love them so much now that they've been fully broken in. To my ears and system, they sound like my Sonus Faber Concertos with much bigger subs

DG

did you go to Woodbridge Stereo ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #731 of 2603 Old 06-20-2011, 11:09 AM

otk,

I ordered from Hi-Fi House in Jenkintown, PA.

DG
post #732 of 2603 Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM

Many thanks for any thoughts on Wife Factor questions below for this 7.1 system with 85% Home Theater (21 ft x 18 ft room & 12 ft ceilings; but also with double door size opening that opens into breakfast area and then from breakfast area it is totally open to kitchen & also a double door size opening to living room):

Triton 2 Towers (2) (floor standing towers - thus she wants compromise on surrounds)
SUPERSAT 50C for Center
SUPERSAT 50C for surrounds - mounted horizontally (4)
Sub: VTF-15H

How big a factor are these:

1) SUPERSAT 50 surrounds in-wall vs on-wall?
2) surrounds at ceiling height vs. above-ear height?
3) surrounds at ceiling height flat against wall vs. tilted down
4) To tilt down, any "wife friendlier" methods and/or mounting hardware suggestions for SUPERSAT 50's?
post #733 of 2603 Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

For anybody setting up a TritonCinema Two system, I highly recommend the Sanus HF1 stands with the curved necks for the SuperSat 3 surrounds. They're sturdy, look sharp and are relatively inexpensive. It took a while to figure out how to install the downward pointing curved necks and even longer to successfully route 12 gauge wire through them, but the results were worth it.
post #734 of 2603 Old 06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to thank Sandy for coming to our showroom last week. It was a great time, I enjoyed talking with him and learning about his past. The drivers in these speakers are amazing, it was neat to see them outside of their cabinets and all the little details that go in to making them that cause them to perform so well.

Thanks again Sandy!

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #735 of 2603 Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM

I had a chance to audition the new Triton Two’s and also had a chance to meet Sandy Gross while he was here in the Chicagoland area. It was my first time too visiting the dealer for these speakers.

The Triton Two’s are set up in a room roughly the size of my home theater room. The SuperSat 50 is located on top of the screen which may pose a new listening position for me since I got used to having the center below the screen. Well, their screen runs from the floor to the top leaving a little space for the SuperSat 50 above it. The Triton’s are powered by Anthem. The Tritons are tall, slender and have that elegance to it that you could match up with any décor. I don’t know how heavy they are but the base seems to be holding up the tower with spikes on a carpet. Of course you don’t want kids running around them. The surrounds are well placed at the back and they look small compared to the DefTech SM450 that I’m using now. Jazz was already playing while I went to the room and already noticed a difference with my current set-up which is a BP7002 for my two fronts. The Tritons produced a wider dispersion while I was sitting on their theater seats. Midrange is crisp as I have to describe it and the ribbons with first time hearing it is not fatiguing to my ears. They are smooth sounding and not too harsh. While the music which is currently playing is not so familiar with me I couldn’t vouch more on it. Until music from Enya came along singing Orinoco Flow that my expectations started to move on. I’ve been using this song to audition every speakers I have but some might have better songs in their mind. The soundstage has come alive with the song’s first few notes. I have to stand back and forth trying find any changes to what I’m hearing but the Triton’s are keeping up with me. And that’s coming from a direct firing speaker. Getting used with my bipolars with reflecting sounds these Tritons has its own signature of providing that soundstage that would keep you asking how they have manage to do it. The bass has that reach for the low ends which I also like. Blending of highs and lows from the diffrent drivers are well expected.

Moving along, I have asked to use it in theater mode to see what these speakers has to offer with much interest on the SuperSat 50. They put in War of the worlds in Blu-ray going to where the bass is and some glass breaking on the scene. The way how I heard it is nothing close to but I would say it’s phenomenal with such a small form factor of a center speaker. The highs are there and the tonality of the sounds are nailed on. When the glasses are breaking, it is so crisp that I would be dead set with center speaker like this on my theater. The SuperSat 3 as surrounds, no matter how small they are could easily keep up with the fronts and center speakers. I have also noticed that a forcefield sub is running behind me but that helped out with the rumble on the scene. Without it, in stereo mode the tritons could go low as been said on papers.

With this short listening time, I’m really impressed on how they have handled with my choice of music and movies. As a side note when I asked with an external dac, these would surely shine but I still have to test that when I have these at home. Meeting Sandy is great and have answered questions truthfully and is very accommodating. The guys at the store are very helpful in such a way that I could always come back.
post #736 of 2603 Old 06-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spdnb
Just wanted to thank Sandy for coming to our showroom last week. It was a great time, I enjoyed talking with him and learning about his past. The drivers in these speakers are amazing, it was neat to see them outside of their cabinets and all the little details that go in to making them that cause them to perform so well.

Thanks again Sandy!
I am so sad I missed Sandy and the demo. I'm enjoying my Goldenears more and more. Now I'm wondering about getting sat3 for 9.2 arrangement? Hope the wife doesn't read this, I haven't told her my thoughts yet...
post #737 of 2603 Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I have PM800 and m thinking about the SS3.

Is this a big upgrade?

post #738 of 2603 Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is this the only Forum for the GoldenEar Speakers? I thought i saw a reference to another one. I've had a quick audition of the Tritons in another city, however my local dealer is getting some in shortly and will be hooking them up to the same amp i have (Anthem MRX) so this should tell me a bit more of what i could expect.
post #739 of 2603 Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM

here's the other thread, pretty inactive: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1321946

I have MRX-300 and thinking about the Triton2s. Let us know what you think.
post #740 of 2603 Old 07-11-2011, 11:06 AM

I am coming from Monitor Audio Silver serices (RS8,RSLCR,RS1) and need to downsize because of up and coming walking baby. Went to audition the smaller Supersat 3 on walls. The demo room was 10x12 with no room treatments except a throw carpet and some soft sofas.

They sound very clean, the highs were crystal clear without being harsh. I actually love the sound now of the ribbon type tweeters. The midrange was also very nice and true; I truly like them, although the subwoofer was not as visceral/powerful as I prefer (They used the 8" version for the demo). The imaging was also pretty awesome. One thing I noticed was at very low volumes, the sound was clear and you could hear the dialog without trying to strain to hear. Compared to the MA speakers, the sound is not as full obviously but I feel the treble is not as...screechy and crystal clear. Also, They look pretty good, and have high WAF factor, they are VERY slim and don't look obtrusive.

I then went to compare these to the Martin Logan Motion 4s, I found them OK. Not as refined sounding as the Supersats. The treble wasn't as clear and the imaging was not as wide. All in all I think I am going to get these for my media/theater room!
post #741 of 2603 Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digity8 View Post

I am coming from Monitor Audio Silver serices (RS8,RSLCR,RS1) and need to downsize because of up and coming walking baby. Went to audition the smaller Supersat 3 on walls. The demo room was 10x12 with no room treatments except a throw carpet and some soft sofas.

They sound very clean, the highs were crystal clear without being harsh. I actually love the sound now of the ribbon type tweeters. The midrange was also very nice and true; I truly like them, although the subwoofer was not as visceral/powerful as I prefer (They used the 8" version for the demo). The imaging was also pretty awesome. One thing I noticed was at very low volumes, the sound was clear and you could hear the dialog without trying to strain to hear. Compared to the MA speakers, the sound is not as full obviously but I feel the treble is not as...screechy and crystal clear. Also, They look pretty good, and have high WAF factor, they are VERY slim and don't look obtrusive.

I then went to compare these to the Martin Logan Motion 4s, I found them OK. Not as refined sounding as the Supersats. The treble wasn't as clear and the imaging was not as wide. All in all I think I am going to get these for my media/theater room!

I'm currently running SS50C for center and SS3s for L/R as I wait for my Triton 2's to arrive. I found the 50C adds quite a bit of low-midrange that I wasn't getting from the SS3's. Deeper male voices in dialogue and music, for example. This is noticeable when switching between 2 channel stereo and all-channel stereo (which adds the center). So if you have space and budget for the 50c, you may want to audition that combo. Note, I have cross-over set at 80Hz for both the SS3 and 50C.
post #742 of 2603 Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6 View Post

I'm currently running SS50C for center and SS3s for L/R as I wait for my Triton 2's to arrive. I found the 50C adds quite a bit of low-midrange that I wasn't getting from the SS3's. Deeper male voices in dialogue and music, for example. This is noticeable when switching between 2 channel stereo and all-channel stereo (which adds the center). So if you have space and budget for the 50c, you may want to audition that combo. Note, I have cross-over set at 80Hz for both the SS3 and 50C.

I actually auditioned the SS50 system as well (all 3 for LCR+2 surrounds) and found that it filled out the mid/lower mid range out as well. Do you think the SS50 would work ok with the smaller SS3s as L/R for 80% movies, 20% music.
post #743 of 2603 Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digity8 View Post

I actually auditioned the SS50 system as well (all 3 for LCR+2 surrounds) and found that it filled out the mid/lower mid range out as well. Do you think the SS50 would work ok with the smaller SS3s as L/R for 80% movies, 20% music.

I find it difficult to listen to music in stereo mode using only the SS3s, now that I know what I'm missing. So i use all-channel stereo, and it sounds great. The only problem is that mid range is strongest in the center, so I lose some of the imaging for voices, they are very centered. I have a low end HTIB sub, so perhaps a good sub can help fill-in the midrange and allow you to preserve the imaging. I assume the forcefield is well matched and can help with this, but I haven't listened to it.
post #744 of 2603 Old 07-11-2011, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi, I am writing this from Ottawa as I explore the frozen (I wish) north and visit some of our Canadian dealers.. In response to Guddug: I believe we spoke when I was in Naperville (?). I'm not sure about what you mean regarding SS 50s as surrounds in-wall vs on-wall. Do you mean putting the SS 50s in the wall? This would really be a lot of work. I think that the main issue that you are dealing with can be helped by mounting your 50s horizontally and angling them down. I believe that your dealer can help with this and fabricate the appropriate mounting hardware.
Regarding Rick240's question about PM 800s vs SS 3s: This really relates to what you are looking for. The PM 800s are very good. Honestly, the SS 3s are better. How much better and in what ways? The SS 3s are more dynamic, better midrange and the tweeter is a whole different world, good as the domes in the 800s are. How much better overall? Again, can't express it in numbers, listen and decide for yourself.
In response to BCMS: Yes, the SS 50 definitely has better lower midrange and if you can fit it and the difference in cost is OK, definitely worth it. That said; I don't think that you are getting full performance at all with an HTIB sub and beyond that, I would use a 120 Hz crossover on the 3s and suggest that you might have the center up a wee bit too loud.
In response to Digity8: Absolutely the 50 can be used as a center with the 3s as described above. Very happy that you enjoyed what you heard. Onward and Upward, Sandy
post #745 of 2603 Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech
Hi, I am writing this from Ottawa as I explore the frozen (I wish) north and visit some of our Canadian dealers.. In response to Guddug: I believe we spoke when I was in Naperville (?). I'm not sure about what you mean regarding SS 50s as surrounds in-wall vs on-wall. Do you mean putting the SS 50s in the wall? This would really be a lot of work. I think that the main issue that you are dealing with can be helped by mounting your 50s horizontally and angling them down. I believe that your dealer can help with this and fabricate the appropriate mounting hardware.
Sandy, I believe you might be confusing Guddug with me. I met you at the Naperville store and my room is kinda like Guddug's. I never had the SS50s as surrounds or the GE sub. I did try the horizontal SS3 and angled it down but it didn't work for me. A huge part of the problem is that pulling the speaker out front enough so that the shelf doesn't act as a faux bezel causes the receiver to set the crossover too high (150 hz). At that point it is too far away from the wall behind it. Knowing that that is the highest crossover point my receiver can set, it leads me to wonder if it needs to be set even higher. I an working with Noah on this and I feel we are very close to getting the problem fixed.
While on the subject, I would like to give a huge shout out to Noah and the crew at Deluxe Audio Video in Naperville, IL. They are a refreshing change from the so many sell-and-forget stores I've seen out here. They truly care about making sure that their customers are extremely satisfied with their purchases. Noah has actually been to my house to see for himself how we could fix some issues and with his help I was able to completely get rid of the uneven bass response in my room by experimenting with placement of the two subs. Hats off to Deluxe AV. I can't wish them anything but the very best. They have me as a customer for life.
A huge shout out to Sandy Gross too. I have never before met a person who is so unaware of how great he is. I spoke to him at some length about my placement of the GE system and he was extremely down to earth, patient and helpful. What a pleasure it was talking to you Sandy, you truly are one of the all time greats!
For any of you that have not yet pulled the trigger on the T2s, do yourself a favor and go listen to them. Take along material that you are familiar with and have the dealer play it. I have heard many speakers over the years and am not going to pretend that I remember what they all sounded like, human auditory memory being what it is, but I do know that every time I have been extremely impressed, the speakers have been priced too high for my budget. This was one of the very few times that I heard sound that was so damn good (while still being affordable), that for me it was a no-brainer to buy a pair.
Yes, I am an unabashed fan.

Raj
post #746 of 2603 Old 07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdio View Post

I did a direct compare with the GE Tritons and Paradigm Studio 100s. I'll keep the longwinded tech jargon out.
At the basic level what I found was that the Tritons highs were very smooth and rather pleasant if a little laidback, but with nice clarity. The mids I found a little lacking, but not a major issue. Bass was a bit hard to control due to the built in subs, but in a 2.0 situation they sound nice.
My personal preference was for the Studio 100s. The highs are crisper than the Tritons, just as clear, but a little upfront which made the highs sound better on the Tritons to me. It was the mids and lows were the Studios outperformed the Tritons to my ears. Mids were clear, right were they should be and lows were precise, tight and musical.
Again, that's all just my findings, everyone's mileage is different. Of course bare in mind this was with speakers not broken in yet.
post #747 of 2603 Old 07-13-2011, 07:10 PM

rajdawar, thanks for comparison of Paradigm Studio 100's & Triton.

Did you also compare center speakers and/or surrounds? If so, which ones for Goldenear and which for Paradigm.

But Paradigm are also much higher cost - what percentage above Tritons' do you think is best price possible for Paradigm Studio 100's?

Anyone else compared centers and/or surrounds of these 2 brands - please comment? Thanks.
post #748 of 2603 Old 07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Guddug, I have never compared the two brands directly, Anubisrocks did. Hopefully he'll read your post and reply.

Raj
post #749 of 2603 Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddug View Post

rajdawar, thanks for comparison of Paradigm Studio 100's & Triton.

Did you also compare center speakers and/or surrounds? If so, which ones for Goldenear and which for Paradigm.

But Paradigm are also much higher cost - what percentage above Tritons' do you think is best price possible for Paradigm Studio 100's?

Anyone else compared centers and/or surrounds of these 2 brands - please comment? Thanks.

Read my post right above in reply to awdio for my comparison of the Paradigm Studio 100s vs GE Tritons. If you want me to go into more detail, let me know.

I did not compare centers or surrounds as I am not in the market yet.
I may be in the market for a center down the road a little depending on how the phantom center method works out. However, while I will compare them with others, I probably won't be buying a Paradigm center. (I'm not worried about timber matching perfection anymore. I'm 85% music and 15% movies anyway. So for me personally, the main L/R are the most important speakers followed by the sub).
I'm doing my surrounds last.
The best possible price for the Paradigm Studio 100s I've seen is around $2900 - $3000/pair. My dealer ran a special on the GE Tritons when they were first released at $2400/pair. Now days they are running around $2800/pair.
post #750 of 2603 Old 07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubisrocks View Post

Read my post right above in reply to awdio for my comparison of the Paradigm Studio 100s vs GE Tritons. If you want me to go into more detail, let me know.

I did not compare centers or surrounds as I am not in the market yet.
I may be in the market for a center down the road a little depending on how the phantom center method works out. However, while I will compare them with others, I probably won't be buying a Paradigm center. (I'm not worried about timber matching perfection anymore. I'm 85% music and 15% movies anyway. So for me personally, the main L/R are the most important speakers followed by the sub).
I'm doing my surrounds last.
The best possible price for the Paradigm Studio 100s I've seen is around $2900 - $3000/pair. My dealer ran a special on the GE Tritons when they were first released at $2400/pair. Now days they are running around $2800/pair.

Anubis,

I have questioned your dealer before, and again I must. The Goldenear Triton's retail for $2500. That was nice he knocked off $100 at the get go, but to charge over retail now????? That makes no sense what so ever to me. Hopefully he isn't, that kind of stuff gives brick and mortar stores a bad rap.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page