Great! Thank you in advance for your tries, looking forward to see them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2610 Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi, The little pieces of felt are to go on the back of the 50s if they are mounted on a wall. Interestingly, although there is no question that break-in is important, we have never really been able to measure a difference. Also, when you break in, don't run them crazy loud. All the Best, Sandy
post #1233 of 2610 Old 02-11-2012, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, The little pieces of felt are to go on the back of the 50s if they are mounted on a wall. Interestingly, although there is no question that break-in is important, we have never really been able to measure a difference. Also, when you break in, don't run them crazy loud. All the Best, Sandy

Thanks, Sandy! I appreciate the response.
post #1234 of 2610 Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard these yet? I am looking at putting together a nice two channel only set up and these look like they could be winners!

"What brings you to this nape of the woods, neck of the wape; How come you're here?"
post #1235 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermott View Post

Has anyone heard these yet? I am looking at putting together a nice two channel only set up and these look like they could be winners!

I'm really wanting to hear reviews and impressions on them myself. I was wondering if I had 2 for my fronts what the best center would be? Anothe Aon 3, Supersat 50, or Aon 2 (saving $100)??
post #1236 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

I'm really wanting to hear reviews and impressions on them myself. I was wondering if I had 2 for my fronts what the best center would be? Anothe Aon 3, Supersat 50, or Aon 2 (saving $100)??

I'm wondering the same thing myself. Picked up my two Aon3s today; was told I was among the first to get them. Dealer recommends 100-hr break-in period. Probably won't get a chance to test these until Friday, but I'm really looking forward to hearing them. Really strong bass on speaker I heard in dealer's showroom.
post #1237 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 04:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrob22 View Post

I'm wondering the same thing myself. Picked up my two Aon3s today; was told I was among the first to get them. Dealer recommends 100-hr break-in period. Probably won't get a chance to test these until Friday, but I'm really looking forward to hearing them. Really strong bass on speaker I heard in dealer's showroom.

I await your review.
post #1238 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM

I purchased a pair of these on 5 Feb and the sound is amazing. I heard a demo of them compared to the B&W CM9's that I had all intentions of purchasing and it was not even a fair match. The Goldenear's have me going through my entire collection of movies and music enjoying every minute. The first 10 minutes of Top Gun heard on these speakers really shows their capabilities. The only negative I can find is during the break in the top driver started to produce some static through the high pitch range and I had to take them to my dealer to be "verified". 10 days after purchase I was then told I would have to live with a repair rather than replacement. Not what I would expect for a speaker this price. Maybe there was a mix up in communications because all of the reviews I have read speak highly of Golden Ears customer service. Even with this mix up I look forward to purchasing 2 more to complete my home theater. I currently have an Onkyo 809 which is a modest at best Receiver and these speakers still perform to near painful audio levels!!!!
post #1239 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:

I ordered my Aons about two weeks ago. Still waiting for them. What dealer and location did you purchase them? Look forward to your review (and some Aon pics would be cool too). Tks.
post #1240 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

congrats!! Looking forward to your impressions when you get them hooked up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad2815 View Post

I purchased a pair of these on 5 Feb and the sound is amazing. I heard a demo of them compared to the B&W CM9's that I had all intentions of purchasing and it was not even a fair match. The Goldenear's have me going through my entire collection of movies and music enjoying every minute. The first 10 minutes of Top Gun heard on these speakers really shows their capabilities. The only negative I can find is during the break in the top driver started to produce some static through the high pitch range and I had to take them to my dealer to be "verified". 10 days after purchase I was then told I would have to live with a repair rather than replacement. Not what I would expect for a speaker this price. Maybe there was a mix up in communications because all of the reviews I have read speak highly of Golden Ears customer service. Even with this mix up I look forward to purchasing 2 more to complete my home theater. I currently have an Onkyo 809 which is a modest at best Receiver and these speakers still perform to near painful audio levels!!!!

Glad to hear some good impressions of them. The driver repair maybe a quick fix.
post #1241 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Just got our shipment of Aon 3's and Triton 3's in today. All I can say is wow on both accounts. The GoldenEar lineup is amazing, I haven't seen a speaker line with this performance/price ratio in a long time.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #1242 of 2610 Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM

Yeah I hope so, I have been looking at the Emotiva XPA2 to help power them, right now I have them set up with 5 VM1's and it really sounds amazing for the amount of money I have invested. The 809 actually has a double bass function and paired up with the velodyne Minivee the bass is incredible. Great speaker!!!!
post #1243 of 2610 Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Just got back from picking up the replacement speaker and got to hear the Triton 3 and the bookshelves. Just thought I would let everyone know that the Threes sound really good, and the same for the Aeons, except the lack of a powered sub really becomes apparent when compared with the rest of the line. However compared to other bookshelves I have heard (which isn't a whole lot) they sounded amazing. I am really glad GE made an entire lineup from these speakers.
post #1244 of 2610 Old 02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just got done listening to GlodernEars and they sound very good. What receiver are you guys using with the GoldernEars. They had it paired with a Anthem MRX300. I'm looking at getting a new receiver tomorrow and then will upgrade my old NHT speakers later in the year.

post #1245 of 2610 Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Just got done listening to GlodernEars and they sound very good. What receiver are you guys using with the GoldernEars. They had it paired with a Anthem MRX300. I'm looking at getting a new receiver tomorrow and then will upgrade my old NHT speakers later in the year.

I received my GE's a couple of weeks ago. I've had my anthem MRX 500 for about 7 months. It made my old speakers sound like new ones and I can only imagine the difference it's making on the GE's. My GE Triton 2's are probably not broken in yet.

Hard to go wrong w the anthem MRX. There's a great thread on this forum for the mrx's.
post #1246 of 2610 Old 02-18-2012, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hey guys I picked up a pair of SuperSat 3's today that im gonna use as my fronts. The quality of the speaker and sound is outstanding. The clarity is awesome. I never knew the detail I was missing.
I think after I save some more im gonna buy the SuperSat 50c. I saw one in person today and they are just beautiful to look at. These speakers truely are a work of art.

I bought them from Audio Concepts in Dallas. The guys there were great and took the time to explain some things I have been wondering about my own setup.

If anyone has any questions let me know. I can also post some pics of my setup.
post #1247 of 2610 Old 02-19-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob View Post

Hey guys I picked up a pair of SuperSat 3's today that im gonna use as my fronts. The quality of the speaker and sound is outstanding. The clarity is awesome. I never knew the detail I was missing.
I think after I save some more im gonna buy the SuperSat 50c. I saw one in person today and they are just beautiful to look at. These speakers truely are a work of art.

I bought them from Audio Concepts in Dallas. The guys there were great and took the time to explain some things I have been wondering about my own setup.

If anyone has any questions let me know. I can also post some pics of my setup.

Post Pics, Post Pics!!
post #1248 of 2610 Old 02-19-2012, 04:29 PM

This is a rather large space. 20 x 19 x 12 for my living room. As you can see my living room opens on both sides of the tv and Dont want to put floor speakers in the walkway so satellites are my only option. My receiver is a pioneer VSX-1020K, and the center and rears are from an old Onkyo HTiB.
The sub is a Velo CHT-8 that will soon be replaced by an HSU VTF-15H. By the way the unit on top of the sub is a wireless receiver. What do you guys think?

post #1249 of 2610 Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Im not sure why the above pics are blurry. They were taken with an iphone 4. Sorry for the quality.
post #1250 of 2610 Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
In order to take good pictures from any cell phone you need the proper light condition.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #1251 of 2610 Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM

I have a couple of questions regarding surrounds. I have a pair of Triton 2s and a 50c. My couch is about 12ft from the front speakers, and about 5" from the back wall. There's a wall about 2' to the right side of the couch, and no wall at all to the left. Given this scenario, I have two questions:

1. Would it be better to have small satellites like the Supersat 3 mounted on the back wall high above the couch, or in ceiling speakers?
2. If the latter, would the forthcoming GoldenEar Invisa HTR 7000 be appropriate? I am concerned that they may image too well, which I suppose it's not what you want in surround speakers. How would you mount these? Above the couch firing to the front of the couch? Any idea when they'll be out?

Thanks!
post #1252 of 2610 Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Hi newbienoob,

I see that you have the SuperSat 3 mounted up high near the ceiling and wanted to know the type of bracket/support used. I'm thinking of a similar set-up for the aparment (10'x15' floor area), where the only viable solution for front left/right speaker placement is high up near the ceiling and at the corner of the room. I'm also going to have to mount it near the corner wall to save space, but concerned about the indirect sound reflection and reduced clarity. I see that your mounting arrangment has a some vertical distance from the ceiling with little to no walls around it for indirect reflections - guessing this is a good set-up.

Is the SuperSat3 toed-in and angle down toward the listening area? Recall Sandy recommending a toe-in for the large Triton 2 speakers and the manual says the tweeter to be at ear height for accurate timbre. Having the speaker high up means off axis listening.

Can't tell from the pics if there is a large horizontal distance between the front L/R speaker. Just curious because I'm going to end up with a large horizontal distance between L/R fronts and wondered if this improves or makes the sound quality worse.

Since you've got a different centre speaker compared to the front L/R, do you hear any difference when watching movies?

Steve

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #1253 of 2610 Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

Hi newbienoob,

I see that you have the SuperSat 3 mounted up high near the ceiling and wanted to know the type of bracket/support used. I'm thinking of a similar set-up for the aparment (10'x15' floor area), where the only viable solution for front left/right speaker placement is high up near the ceiling and at the corner of the room. I'm also going to have to mount it near the corner wall to save space, but concerned about the indirect sound reflection and reduced clarity. I see that your mounting arrangment has a some vertical distance from the ceiling with little to no walls around it for indirect reflections - guessing this is a good set-up.

Is the SuperSat3 toed-in and angle down toward the listening area? Recall Sandy recommending a toe-in for the large Triton 2 speakers and the manual says the tweeter to be at ear height for accurate timbre. Having the speaker high up means off axis listening.

Can't tell from the pics if there is a large horizontal distance between the front L/R speaker. Just curious because I'm going to end up with a large horizontal distance between L/R fronts and wondered if this improves or makes the sound quality worse.

Since you've got a different centre speaker compared to the front L/R, do you hear any difference when watching movies?

Steve

1. its good for me. i am no audiofile but this setup has generally given good results.

2. yes they are toed in and angled down directly at the middle of my couch

3. yes. the speakers are appr 20 feet from each other and 15 feet from the listening position. Personally i think its sounds great in here. I demo'd tron legacy on bluray after I set the new speakers up and was blown away.

4. unfortunately there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the center vs L/R speakers. Sandy private messaged me and said the center was as important or more as the left and rights because in movies most dialogue comes from there. I plan on purchasing a SuperSat 50C as my center next month.
post #1254 of 2610 Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by esautomatix View Post

1. Would it be better to have small satellites like the Supersat 3 mounted on the back wall high above the couch, or in ceiling speakers?
2. If the latter, would the forthcoming GoldenEar Invisa HTR 7000 be appropriate? I am concerned that they may image too well, which I suppose it's not what you want in surround speakers. How would you mount these? Above the couch firing to the front of the couch? Any idea when they'll be out?

I'm eager to see feedback on the Invisa as well. I'm planning a 9 channel living room around them and hoping it sounds as good or very close to using Aons.
post #1255 of 2610 Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi, A couple of answers: To esautomatix- You could certainly use a pair of SuperSat 3C (the horizontal one) tucked up where your back wall meets the ceiling and angled down at the couch. Alternately, you could use a pair of the Invisa 550s or 650s or 7000s on the ceiling. Some would say if you used the 7000s, that you should aim them at the rear wall. This is a matter of personal taste and the subject of much debate. If you shoose the 7000s, you could always experiment to see what you like better. I'm not sure what I would recommend. All would work well. The neatest and simplest clearly would be the 550 or 650. I expect that the 550 and 650 will be late May. The 7000 in June. In response to Jaremy: I just got off the phone with one of my engineers who spent the day listening to the 7000 in comparison to the Aon 3 and he said he was very pleased. Sandy
post #1256 of 2610 Old 02-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Thank you, Sandy. I am glad to know there are three in-ceiling products coming out, and not just one. In terms of placement, would the ideal (in-ceiling) position for the 550 or 650s be right above the seating position firing straight down? Wouldn't that make them sound like the sound is coming from right above the listener, which for surrounds I guess is not desirable as it would be the opposite of a diffuse surround field? Or can they be positioned above the couch but aimed towards the area in front of the couch (or even toward the rear wall)?
post #1257 of 2610 Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm debating the same ceiling positioning question right now too. I was thinking to use the 7000 all the way around, but was concerned that an angled speaker close to the seating position might not work as well for surround backs.

My living room will also open on the left side. Setting a 7000 as the left surround to fire at the wall will end up firing into our kitchen. So that doesn't work. Even the right surround back speaker if I turn it around will fire more down a hallway than against a back wall.

So there's two options:

1. Use all 7000. The side surrounds will fire towards the center seat from ~8 ft away. The surround backs will fire forward at an angle where they would shoot more over the center seat than on it since they'll only be ~2 ft behind the couch.

2. Use the 7000 for c/l/r and wides and use the down firing 625 for the side and back surrounds.

Do we know if the tweeter in all 3 in-ceilings is the same? If it is, that would make me feel better about mixing the 625 and 7000.

I'm also curious about angled in-ceiling distances. Is it better to set the l/c/r in front of the screen or to do the trig based on tweeter and ceiling height to arrive at a calculated distance?

If my fronts are closer to true screen, they'll be ~12.5 ft from the center seat. If I do the trig, they should be more at ~9.5 ft.

Putting the closer to the screen should make the sound more integrated with the picture but then they fire into the floor in front of the seating somewhat.
post #1258 of 2610 Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM

The other question is in regards to electronics to drive the Triton Twos. Given these are fairly sensitive speakers and have powered subwoofers, is there any point in pairing them with powerful amplifiers? I am considering changing my Arcam AVR300 for an Anthem MRX 300 receiver used as a pre/pro connected to an Emotiva XPA-5 200W/channel amplifier. Would an Anthem MRX 700 at 120W/channel sound better or worse than the separates?
post #1259 of 2610 Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an Mrx 300 driving the triton 2 cinema. It can definitely power them for music without any trouble, but I noticed some high action movie scenes with a full range of sound at highish volume sounded a bit muddied. One reference scene is the alien coming out if the ground in War if the Worlds- lots of rumble, mid range explosions, and high pitch glass breaking all at the same time. I added an Emotiva UPA-2 to deive the teiton 2's and the same scenes now sound more detailed than before. I don't listen at real loud volume, probably -20dB max on the MRX300. My room is not big, about 17' x 15'

Arc does a good job with the GE's. But I've been playing around with the bass management, speaker position, and sub level for the last 6 months, and I end up having to boost bass level on the Anthem to get to my desired bass level. I'm now trying to drive the tritons with the LFE instead of speaker wire, and so far I like it better. I'm going to create another post for this setup
post #1260 of 2610 Old 02-28-2012, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is anyone driving Triton 2's with an Anthem MRX AVR? Have you tried driving them with the LFE input and the TRitons set to small cutoff at 60 Hz? I tried this and am much happier with bass response with the sub amps set to 11:00 position. I ran ARC with movie mode using the LFE input, and music mode using the tritons as full range, no sub so I can A/B switch between the two configurations. I'm listening to some Duke Ellington and his orchestra right now, and the bass is just muted too much with the Tritons in full range. Movie mode (LFE input to the tritons used, with the tritons at 60Hz cutoff) provides the bottom end that is missing in the other configuration.

In movies, the difference is massive, I was missing a huge amount of low end with the Tritons set to full range.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page