9Likes

post #1261 of 2453 Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcms6 View Post

Is anyone driving Triton 2's with an Anthem MRX AVR? Have you tried driving them with the LFE input and the TRitons set to small cutoff at 60 Hz? I tried this and am much happier with bass response with the sub amps set to 11:00 position. I ran ARC with movie mode using the LFE input, and music mode using the tritons as full range, no sub so I can A/B switch between the two configurations. I'm listening to some Duke Ellington and his orchestra right now, and the bass is just muted too much with the Tritons in full range. Movie mode (LFE input to the tritons used, with the tritons at 60Hz cutoff) provides the bottom end that is missing in the other configuration.

In movies, the difference is massive, I was missing a huge amount of low end with the Tritons set to full range.

I'm about to try this myself. Mine should be broken in by this weekend.

I'll also double up the speaker wire as recommended by one notable resource on the Anthem mrx's that helps w the low end, regardless of speakers, or type of speaker wire.

The anthem apparently does NOT take the .1 of source and feed it to your mains if you're not running the LFE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 2453 Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post

The anthem apparently does NOT take the .1 of source and feed it to your mains if you're not running the LFE.

You know, I complained about the low end on the Anthem forum a while ago, and didn't really resolve it. I didn't follow the forum for a while, and now they came up with this conclusion. I think I'll just stick with the LFE input. I didn't notice any issues with blending or overlap between the subs and the rest of the speaker.
post #1263 of 2453 Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After hearing the Triton 2's last week I certainly want them, but what do you guys think about using a Aon3 instead of a 50C for the center channel? My dealer doesn't have any Aon's to demo yet but I'd ideally like a center with some more low end than I'd expect the 50C to be able to reach. Sandy, will they blend into a good front stage? Or was the Aon not designed with that in mind?
post #1264 of 2453 Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM

I'm having a hell of a time here. For those of you who have heard the Martin Logan Motion 12s with separate subwoofers, what would be your comparison for a musical environment?

I currently have 8s for midbass and 2 12" woofers powered by a behringer EP2500 providing low bass and I have everything in the lower frequency range covered pretty soundly. I have great synergy with my current system, but I keep hearing about the folded ribbon tweeters. I am wondering if the Triton 2s are for me, or if I'm better off getting something that covers the rest of the frequency spectrum for my fronts and play around with room treatments/trinnov on my receiver? My main use is music with the occasional movie.
post #1265 of 2453 Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ordered my Supersat 3c today. I cant wait till it comes in.

I should have my LR channels broken in nice by now, should I run MCACC again on them for good measure?
post #1266 of 2453 Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM

Got the Triton 2's yesterday, nothing short of amazing. This pair was a dealer demo set, but I am playing them 24 hours a day for a break in period anyway not knowing how much playtime that got in the store. I downloaded a sample pack from HDtracks.com of 96k/24bit stuff played on an Onkyo TX-NR1009 and the differnce between those tracks and conventional CD is huge. iTunes compressed music isn't even in this league. I can certainly hear the change after the first 24 hours of break in and I can also tell that these speakers are going to get even better when the bank account allows for some high end amplification seperate from the receiver. Anyone shopping for speakers should hear these before buying anything else in this price range and above. Keep in mind that the subwoofers are built in, so unless your room is huge a seperate sub isn't likley needed.

Only odd thing I found so far was one speaker the sub level control has a detent at 12 o'clock, but the other speaker has no detent. I know the store had 2 demo pairs, I wonder if the pairs got split up and one is from a different production run. Didn't check the serial numbers yet to confirm that but they sound identical for sure so nothing to worry about.
post #1267 of 2453 Old 03-08-2012, 08:31 PM

My 3c came in today. Do these things get clearer during break in?
post #1268 of 2453 Old 03-09-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 147
yes, break-in will undoubtedly work stupendous wonders and make it an entirely different loudspeaker...or, release sonic subtleties that do not yet exist (you know, the usual: an uptick in transparency, transient response, attack, control, smoothness, air, delicacy, vanished graininess, or whatever chic adjective/term fill-in-the-blank-improvement you wanna come up with)...or, nothing at all.

I'll never forget a story of the Revel exec at CEDIA (or another expo) 3/4 years ago who remarked in front of a decent group of people: "if you think they sound good now, wait till they're broken' in."

This of course nearly immediately followed another Revel rep who had just told the crowd there were "broken in".

Surpassed only by an amplifier comparo, I'd love to put the "broken in' vs "brandy new" myth to death with a comprehensive, AVS ABX get-together.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #1269 of 2453 Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob View Post

My 3c came in today. Do these things get clearer during break in?

My tritons certainly getting better and better each day. I've been running a cd on repeat at a comfortable level anytime I'm not listening to them. The manual says 40 to 60 hours break in. Also with a 3c you should not be sending any low bass to it, I heard a crossover in the 120hz range on those.
post #1270 of 2453 Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 AM

I set my speakers up with mcacc which is basically audessey for pioneers. I set the crossover at 80 hz. If this is wrong then i can switch it something else. They sound great btw. My wife told me i should go ahead and get my surrounds replaced as well. So i guess that is my next purchase.

Very soon I will be getting a VTF15h. Then my setup will be complete. I cant wait!
post #1271 of 2453 Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 AM

I'm new to the forum and have started planning for my next home theater. I'm looking for guidance and feedback on the Supersat 50C as a center speaker. First some background:

A few months ago, I demoed the Triton 2 towers and walked away disappointed. For most of my session I heard bass that muddied the mid-range. In fairness, my thoughts centered around the bass level not being positioned correctly (did not have an opportunity to check) and/or the speakers bunched in with other speakers near the walls.

I was in New York yesterday with some spare time and stopped by the Stereo Exchange. Took advantage of a second opportunity to listen to the Triton 2. The speakers were off the walls and isolated. What I heard for approximately 20 minutes was amazing. The highs and female vocals were clean and crisp. The mid-range was soothing and slightly warm. My focus was not so much on bass, however, the low range sounded great. I was at peace with the speakers and did not want to leave the listening room. Most enjoyment I've had listening to speakers since I've started this process.

I'm a movies enthusiast mixed in with sports/TVs. I would estimate I'm 95% HT and 5% music. I live in a peaceful and quiet house and am not looking for a system that plays clean reference level sound for long distances. I value my relationship with my wife and loud sound is not the objective. I wish I had more time to listen to music, however, due to my schedule I need to be realistic.

My nagging concern is the Goldenear center speaker. With HT, I strongly believe the center speaker is the most critical component and does the most work, thus, willing to make a larger investment in this component than the left/right fronts. I currently have a Def. Tech. Pro 2000 center speaker and I find the speaker adequate. Sometimes, I need to turn up the volume to hear dialogue and when an action scene hits its too loud. Certainly this issue is not all attributed to the center speaker. I'm looking for more than an adequate center speaker.

Even though I've not yet listened to the Supersat 50C with a movie demo, any feedback and experiences on the center speaker's performance with movies is appreciated. Also your thoughts on using Goldenear's Triton2 cinema for movies. Is the objective of these speakers primarily for music with home theater as a secondary purpose? Thanks for all your help.
post #1272 of 2453 Old 03-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob from NJ View Post

I'm a movies enthusiast mixed in with sports/TVs. I would estimate I'm 95% HT and 5% music. I live in a peaceful and quiet house and am not looking for a system that plays clean reference level sound for long distances. I value my relationship with my wife and loud sound is not the objective. I wish I had more time to listen to music, however, due to my schedule I need to be realistic.

My nagging concern is the Goldenear center speaker. With HT, I strongly believe the center speaker is the most critical component and does the most work, thus, willing to make a larger investment in this component than the left/right fronts. I currently have a Def. Tech. Pro 2000 center speaker and I find the speaker adequate. Sometimes, I need to turn up the volume to hear dialogue and when an action scene hits its too loud. Certainly this issue is not all attributed to the center speaker. I'm looking for more than an adequate center speaker.

Even though I've not yet listened to the Supersat 50C with a movie demo, any feedback and experiences on the center speaker's performance with movies is appreciated. Also your thoughts on using Goldenear's Triton2 cinema for movies. Is the objective of these speakers primarily for music with home theater as a secondary purpose? Thanks for all your help.

I pretty much listen to movies/TV 95% of the time and music 5% and the music is usually either iTunes streaming or Pandora. I have the Triton 2's, 50C and the 50's for surrounds and I have been really amazed out how even something like Pandora can sound so great! I have an VFT-15 sub and a Denon4311CI receiver I'm truly impressed with my setup.

As for the center being to low and then the rest of the movie being too loud to me it seems to be nothing more then the source in which you are listening too. I've had a couple different setups and that has always been an issue with me, well for my wife I've just learned to live with it or play the volume control game which is annoying as all hell. I think when movies want to have a more dramatic feel to them is when the action scenes really intensify in volume and it's seeming like movies are just getting louder and louder whether it be at home or at the theaters or it could just be me getting old

I watched Transformers and in the audio setup I picked the 5.1 setup since that is what I have and the audio pretty much held the sound levels in check. Half way through the movie I switched it to 7.1 true HD and wow what a huge difference it made in the sound! Action scenes was much much louder while voices where much lower. I guess it's finding the happy medium that you can live with.

I've had my stuff for a couple of months now and I'm finding that either the volume has been increased with Directv or the speakers are really showing how broken in they have become because I'm finding that I'm setting the volume level on my receiver a lot lower then I was before. I have no complaints with these speakers.
post #1273 of 2453 Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post

I pretty much listen to movies/TV 95% of the time and music 5% and the music is usually either iTunes streaming or Pandora. I have the Triton 2's, 50C and the 50's for surrounds and I have been really amazed out how even something like Pandora can sound so great! I have an VFT-15 sub and a Denon4311CI receiver I'm truly impressed with my setup.

As for the center being to low and then the rest of the movie being too loud to me it seems to be nothing more then the source in which you are listening too. I've had a couple different setups and that has always been an issue with me, well for my wife I've just learned to live with it or play the volume control game which is annoying as all hell. I think when movies want to have a more dramatic feel to them is when the action scenes really intensify in volume and it's seeming like movies are just getting louder and louder whether it be at home or at the theaters or it could just be me getting old

I watched Transformers and in the audio setup I picked the 5.1 setup since that is what I have and the audio pretty much held the sound levels in check. Half way through the movie I switched it to 7.1 true HD and wow what a huge difference it made in the sound! Action scenes was much much louder while voices where much lower. I guess it's finding the happy medium that you can live with.

I've had my stuff for a couple of months now and I'm finding that either the volume has been increased with Directv or the speakers are really showing how broken in they have become because I'm finding that I'm setting the volume level on my receiver a lot lower then I was before. I have no complaints with these speakers.

Nevea2be, thanks for the feedback. Good to hear that you're impressed with the Triton2 and Sat 50c for mostly movies/TV.
post #1274 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 09:56 AM

Rob,

You will not be disappointed with the Triton 2s-50C combo. Dialogue is natural and clear . As mentioned on this forum multiple times, you should not be worried about the size of the 50C. Its bass is handled either by the built-in subs of the Triton's or dedicated sub/subs. In my setup, the combo produces a huge homogeneous sound stage. Whether it be movie, music or sport, it is what it is, accurate, natural. You will see what I mean. Have fun.

DG
post #1275 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Curious to see if anyone else has tritons II's/SS50's hooked up to to a Yamaha receiver (I have an RX-A3000) and used the YPAO speaker setup. What are your experiences? Did you notice an improvement? What crossover did YPAO use for the SS50/SS50C?

I am about to embark on the "room correction" journey and wanted to see what tips or advice you might have with the YPAO setup.
post #1276 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hath View Post

Curious to see if anyone else has tritons II's/SS50's hooked up to to a Yamaha receiver (I have an RX-A3000) and used the YPAO speaker setup. What are your experiences? Did you notice an improvement? What crossover did YPAO use for the SS50/SS50C?

I am about to embark on the "room correction" journey and wanted to see what tips or advice you might have with the YPAO setup.

RX-A2000 here. SWEET is what I say. My crossover is at 110 for the center and surrounds. I bought the receiver then got the speakers. Had some B&W VM1's that sounded real nice. The GE have broke in very nice and I am very happy.
post #1277 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post

Rob,

You will not be disappointed with the Triton 2s-50C combo. Dialogue is natural and clear . As mentioned on this forum multiple times, you should not be worried about the size of the 50C. Its bass is handled either by the built-in subs of the Triton's or dedicated sub/subs. In my setup, the combo produces a huge homogeneous sound stage. Whether it be movie, music or sport, it is what it is, accurate, natural. You will see what I mean. Have fun.

DG

DG, I see your in Oakland, NJ. I'm south of you in Scotch Plains. Thanks for the feedback, easing some concerns about the 50C. I'm just starting the speaker search process. Interesting how I'm meeting with these audio dealers and everyone is pushing their own lines. Got to go with my ears and GE is definitely on the short list.
post #1278 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLooper View Post

RX-A2000 here. SWEET is what I say. My crossover is at 110 for the center and surrounds. I bought the receiver then got the speakers. Had some B&W VM1's that sounded real nice. The GE have broke in very nice and I am very happy.

Awesome, glad to hear it. Do you use your setup primarily for movies or multi-channel music (or both)? My concern with setting such a high crossover is losing a bit of the discreetness (if that is a term) of multi-channel music.

Would you say YPAO made a dramatic difference in the sound of your speakers/room?
post #1279 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm also considering an aon3 as a center with the triton2 towers. How would this compare to the 50c as a center??

After a decade of dreaming...building my first front projection home theater!!
post #1280 of 2453 Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG23 View Post

I'm also considering an aon3 as a center with the triton2 towers. How would this compare to the 50c as a center??

I would be very interested in this too, if my TV arrangement allowed for a bookshelf center. I don't have enough vertical space.
post #1281 of 2453 Old 03-13-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hath View Post

Awesome, glad to hear it. Do you use your setup primarily for movies or multi-channel music (or both)? My concern with setting such a high crossover is losing a bit of the discreetness (if that is a term) of multi-channel music.

Would you say YPAO made a dramatic difference in the sound of your speakers/room?

My room is very weird size, a lot of attached rooms. So I just stuck with YPAO. Alot of tv/movies but also alot of two stereo music (love it).
post #1282 of 2453 Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 AM

Is there any new reviews of the new Aon bookshelf speakers? I am going to order two of the AON 3s , but I was wondering if someone can give me an input on which sub to get, my room isn't very big so its between the SVS SB12-NSD or the RYTHMIK F12SE. My listening preference is about 55/45 music and movies, so it has to do a decent job in both movies and music. If there is anyone who has already purchased the new GoldenEar Aon's it would be great to hear your feedback on them.

Regards,
post #1283 of 2453 Old 03-22-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone tried or own an Aon 3 as a center channel yet?

My living room design has evolved to allow for a real center and l/r floor standers. Formerly all the speakers were being forced to the ceiling. Now I can go for Triton 2's and an Aon 3 for a center based on the new design. I expect the Aon will outperform a SSAT50 as a center. The center would be below the screen sitting on a cabinet that's ~12" high.

My surround channels still need to be mounted at the ceiling though. So still thinking towards the Invisa 7000 for those channels. Am curious though about the 7000 versus mounting 50's or 30's on-ceiling, angled downward towards the main seating area. Anyone have any thoughts on that choice? The latter might be a hard sell to my wife, but I'm curious what might sound best.
post #1284 of 2453 Old 03-25-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

Anyone tried or own an Aon 3 as a center channel yet?

My living room design has evolved to allow for a real center and l/r floor standers. Formerly all the speakers were being forced to the ceiling. Now I can go for Triton 2's and an Aon 3 for a center based on the new design. I expect the Aon will outperform a SSAT50 as a center. The center would be below the screen sitting on a cabinet that's ~12" high.

My surround channels still need to be mounted at the ceiling though. So still thinking towards the Invisa 7000 for those channels. Am curious though about the 7000 versus mounting 50's or 30's on-ceiling, angled downward towards the main seating area. Anyone have any thoughts on that choice? The latter might be a hard sell to my wife, but I'm curious what might sound best.

I heard the Aon3's today. For a set they sound great. As a center not much difference from the 50c. I still would like to hear it in my home setting though.
That will be another day.
post #1285 of 2453 Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi, Sorry I've taken a while to get back here. Some answers, or thoughts: To esautomatix- All this is very personal. In general, I believe that the diffuse quality of the sound should be in the mix itself, and not added to by the speakers. That said, I like the 525 and 650 a little behind the listener with the tweeters aimed at the listener. With the 7000s, you can put them further back. Regarding amps, I haven't listened critically to the Anthems or Emotivas. In general, depending on how loud you listen, amp quality is more important that watts. I have heard some very good things about the Pioneer Elite receiver that sells for around $2500. Also, we used the top-of-the-line Arcam receiver at CES and it sounded great.
To Jaremy, Sorry for the delay in answering your questions. I see that you have modified your system concept. First, the tweeter in all the in-ceilings is the same. You can use 525s or 650s or 7000s, with the 7000s giving you somewhat clearer more focussed information. Regarding the Bass Management in Anthem Receivers- We have explored this and were surprised to discover that the Anthems, as opposed to most other receivers and processors (including Anthem's own separates) do not channel the LFE information to the left and right channels when you set them to Large Left and Right and No Sub. So, with the Anthems, you want to configure them as Large Left and Right, Sub Yes, and use the LFE out into the Tritons' LFE in. I would still run the left and right as full range.

To Gingerman-The Aon 3 will certainly work well as a center and blend well with the Tritons. It doesn't have quite the midrange detail of the Tritons and 50C, but is still quite excellent. It does, however, have significantly better low frequency performance, so it can be crossed in lower. To Rob from NJ- I'm glad that you had the opportunity to hear the Triton Twos set up well and properly demo'ed. Regarding the center, if you go back on the forum, you can find my detailed comments on this. Basically, when you cross the 50C in at 100 Hz, the low bass is directed to the subs in the Tritons and you get a virtual or phantom center channel subwoofer. It works great. The Tritons were designed to be an exceptional speaker which excelled with all program material including music and movies. I think most listeners and all the reviewers agree that we have succeeded and then some. And the first Aon review is up on CNET, with more to come. Enjoy, Sandy
post #1286 of 2453 Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Hello Sandy, I'm emidalla76 from GoldenEar forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

We have explored this and were surprised to discover that the Anthems, as opposed to most other receivers and processors (including Anthem's own separates) do not channel the LFE information to the left and right channels when you set them to Large Left and Right and No Sub. So, with the Anthems, you want to configure them as Large Left and Right, Sub Yes, and use the LFE out into the Tritons' LFE in

Can you confirm this is true with the Anthem MRX series of A/V receivers? I missed this info, if it was treated on your forum

Cheers,
Emiliano.
post #1287 of 2453 Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM

Sandy, I finally got my SS3 speakers broken in and decided to crank them to -15 on my receiver. These things are phenomenal. Crystal clear sound stage with little to any distortion. I had some friends come by the other day and they said it was like going to the theatre.

These are the first speakers I have ever bought other than what comes with HTiB. I must say they are fantastic. Thanks again!
post #1288 of 2453 Old 03-28-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob View Post

Sandy, I finally got my SS3 speakers broken in and decided to crank them to -15 on my receiver. These things are phenomenal. Crystal clear sound stage with little to any distortion. I had some friends come by the other day and they said it was like going to the theatre.

These are the first speakers I have ever bought other than what comes with HTiB. I must say they are fantastic. Thanks again!

Nothing like a GREAT upgrade. Congrats.
post #1289 of 2453 Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am glad to hear from GE that they also experienced inadequate bass with the Anthem driving the Tritons as full range, because it means i am not crazy. I have been happy with the bass response of the Tritons, especially for movies, with them driven by the LFE of the MRX300.
post #1290 of 2453 Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sandy,

I have a few questions based on your last reply:

1. Are the tweeters in the 525 and 650 angled and adjustable?
2. Is the tweeter in the 7000 adjustable?
3. Is the tweeter in the Aon 3 identical to the tweeter in the Triton 2 and 50c?

Reading the press releases, I had the impression that the 7000 was the only one with an angled tweeter and that all three were fixed into their respective positions.

My living room design has changed considerably as we have separated the fireplace and the A/V. Now the LCRs are out of the ceiling. It's an easy choice for Triton 2's for LR. Just need to choose between an Aon 3 or a 50c for the center channel. Either speaker fits the space fine, so it's completely a decision based on the "best performing" choice.

The room is 18' 9" wide x 17' 6" deep. The back of the main seating will be 14' off the front wall (slightly less than 12' from center channel speaker to listener). The center will be sitting on a custom cabinet that will end up ~15" high, 24" deep, and 9' wide. A flat panel TV will be mounted directly above with a projection screen coming down in front of the TV.

Based on my research, I was thinking that an Aon 3 would be a preferred center channel choice versus the 50c, but your reply suggests otherwise. I need to do my own listening still of course.

I attached a Visio drawing of the living room based on our current construction plans. It shows Tritons and an Aon up front in blue. The yellow is the front custom cabinet. The new fireplace is on the right in yellow. You can see the big opening to the dining/kitchen area on the left. The two blue circles would be 7000's for surrounds. I could go with extra 7000's as well for surround back and front wides or height channels too.

Thanks!
LL
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page