GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #1291 of 2809 Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Jaremy, The tweeter in the Aon 3 is the same as the tweeter in the Tritons. The tweeter in the 525 and 650 are adjustable. The tweeter in the 7000 is not adjustable, as it is angled to blend properly with the bass/midrange driver. Normally, you would install the 7000 with the drivers pointed at the listening position (this is accomplished by rotating the whole speaker in its ceiling cut-out). In terms of Aon vs. 50C, you have to decide for yourself as both work well. When you set the system up, I would experiment with moving the Tritons further apart, if you can, and see how you like that. All the Best, Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 2809 Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oops. Took the red and black marked tighten down things off my ss50c and don't remember which is which. No other markings that I can see nor in the manual. Anyone want to looks at the back of theirs and tell me which is which please?
post #1293 of 2809 Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the speaker in the horizontal position, the red terminal is the top post.
post #1294 of 2809 Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-man View Post

With the speaker in the horizontal position, the red terminal is the top post.

Thanks!
post #1295 of 2809 Old 04-06-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrotex View Post

Thanks!

Have a hard time with plastic speakers. Sound good but.....
post #1296 of 2809 Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevea2be View Post

I pretty much listen to movies/TV 95% of the time and music 5% and the music is usually either iTunes streaming or Pandora. I have the Triton 2's, 50C and the 50's for surrounds and I have been really amazed out how even something like Pandora can sound so great! I have an VFT-15 sub and a Denon4311CI receiver I'm truly impressed with my setup.

As for the center being to low and then the rest of the movie being too loud to me it seems to be nothing more then the source in which you are listening too. I've had a couple different setups and that has always been an issue with me, well for my wife I've just learned to live with it or play the volume control game which is annoying as all hell. I think when movies want to have a more dramatic feel to them is when the action scenes really intensify in volume and it's seeming like movies are just getting louder and louder whether it be at home or at the theaters or it could just be me getting old

I watched Transformers and in the audio setup I picked the 5.1 setup since that is what I have and the audio pretty much held the sound levels in check. Half way through the movie I switched it to 7.1 true HD and wow what a huge difference it made in the sound! Action scenes was much much louder while voices where much lower. I guess it's finding the happy medium that you can live with.

I've had my stuff for a couple of months now and I'm finding that either the volume has been increased with Directv or the speakers are really showing how broken in they have become because I'm finding that I'm setting the volume level on my receiver a lot lower then I was before. I have no complaints with these speakers.

I had a similar feeling and experience when I auditioned the GoldenEar Triton Two Cinema package yesterday. The Triton II towers were phenomenal, and did an extraordinary job delivering the music track for the move I have been using as our prime example, Star Trek, but the center speaker left me really wanting much more than it seemed able to deliver.

In particular, the voice track, sounded very weak to me, almost as if it was the third most important track, after the music track and the effects track.

All-in-all, the pieces working together produced what seemed to me to be a very unbalanced and unbelievable effect, despite the glorious sound of the musical accompaniment in the movie. Having read a lot of great reviews, I'm going to go back and try to listen to them again. I really want to love these speakers, but it can't happen without help from the voice channel. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these? Does anyone have any idea why the voice track might sound like it was the third most important track?

By the way, this voice track problem is not a problem I am hearing while watching the same clips on the Def Tech 8060s I'm simultaneously considering as the alternatives to the Triton IIs.
post #1297 of 2809 Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
By the way, this voice track problem is not a problem I am hearing while watching the same clips on the Def Tech 8060s I'm simultaneously considering as the alternatives to the Triton IIs.[/quote]

Well that's a crap shoot....I have never heard the triton 2's but I own the 8060-st towers along with the 8060 center and voices are clear loud and precise....the triton cinema package would benifit from a beefier center....hopefully that will improve given time......I can't stress enough how important the center is.

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
post #1298 of 2809 Old 04-07-2012, 03:42 PM

Hi, Regarding Choice_Econ's comments: The set-up on a surround system of any sort is critical. I would guess, if you found the center channel weak (and remember, the center is not just voice) that its level was set too low and/or the crossover frequency was not correct. If the system was set-up with to switch a choice of speakers, it almost certainly wasn't correct as it can't be adjusted correctly for more than one set. But even when just dedicated to the Tritons, it is often that we see systems improperly balanced and configured. It's similar to when someone comments that the bass was too loud on the Tritons:they have a level control on the sub and if the bass is too loud or boomy, it is not adjusted correctly and just has to be turned down. Thanks, Sandy
post #1299 of 2809 Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Hi Sandy,

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm honored you'd post back.

The audition was at Chelsea Audio and Video in Beaverton, OR, which is just outside of Portland. Vendor training may be called for but they really seemed to know exactly what they were doing, even more so than other dealers I've stopped by here in this area (even other high-end dealers here, of which I had shopped two others in addition to Chelsea, looking at different systems).

On the physical setup, the Triton IIs were the primary system installed in a pretty close to dedicated demo room, though they also had a pair of Triton IIIs off to the side, as well as a recently released B&W in-wall system (not sure which one) in the same room. The setup was nowhere near what you might see in the local Magnolia/BB in that there was just one receiver and just the two other speaker systems in addition to the Triton IIs, and the room had clearly been treated to special soundproofing and other sound treatment treatments. In fact, at Chelsea, if anything, A/B testing is a bit of a chore due to the limited ability to switch back and forth. I believe the receiver was an Anthem MRX-700 with an Oppo-95 DVR, so a reasonably good set up on the electronics end there, too. If anything, it seemed a pretty close to ideal situation for an audition, certainly better than it will get in my mezzanine home theater room, and I made a point of discussing my concerns with the sales tech there, who tried to make adjustments to change the characteristics of the system to overcome this problem while I was there.

By the way, I want to love the system, I really do, and I wanted to walk out with one when I went for the audition. Instead, I found I loved the towers. If I was just looking for 2 channel you can bet the Triton's would be my first choice. As it is, I'm looking for a home theater system and as a result I'm really getting caught up on the center, which seemed to really under perform on the voice track (the only real problem I had with the center) even when we jacked it up from -2.0 db (the level their rep reported to me as optimized) to +4.5 dB. The problem with the intelligibility of the voice track in comparison to the music track, or even the effects track, which mostly came through the center, never went away. The voice track sounded like someone had thrown a blanket over it.

I'd really love to find a setting that would make the center sing the way the towers sing. If you'd be able to direct the guys at Chelsea on how to make that happen, I'm totally game. Based on the reviews I've seen, I want to love your system and take one home with me today. It's just not happening for me yet, and it is all about the voice track on the center channel.

As it is I'm likely to go back out there one more time to see if maybe I can change some settings myself, but I really do think this might be a technical issue with the design of the system. I feel like I'm having to work way too hard to love a $500 center in a system I want to get because I really do love the towers. The center seems just not to be in the same class as the towers, not even close.

By the way, I also received an email through the private channel that said pretty much the same thing I put up above, but that originated somewhere else geographically, and in that email they also questioned the use of a $500 center with a $3,000 set of speakers.

As you know in HT... it's all about the center. The GoldenEar towers really deliver, but in an environment in which an estimated 80% of the content comes through the center, does it really make sense to spend in the neighborhood of $5k for a $500 center? I think there may be a lot more people out there that have this feeling than might be realized there at the GoldenEar offices, even following auditions for the media that all seem to focus on two channel music.

Best,

Beau Martin / aka: Choice_Econ
post #1300 of 2809 Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 PM

I saw and heard the SuperCinema 3D Array at CES in January and have been wishing or waiting for any additional information ever since.. Really liked the sound, style and price that was being shown and proposed for its imminent release (at the time ,, spring??)

So,, I continue to watch at the web site and have had some information emailed to me recently but still wanting to know when. when.. when.. and also where I would be able to go and audition this in the Phoenix AZ area..

I have acquired all my other new "toys" for my modest man cave project and having a fine time but the speakers I am currently using just aren't what I need and the waiting is just more than I can stand (lol)

Has anyone else heard these at any other shows and what did you think about them..

Also.. looking for some ideas on what to pair them with for the back surround for my movie/home theater/multichannel enjoyment

Thanks for any news
Don J
post #1301 of 2809 Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Hi, The SuperCinema 3D Array is moving forward into the tooling stage. We expect them to be available, at this point in July. I'm not sure if you have seen the press on this from the show: among other coverage, two writers fro Absolute Sound Magazine awarded it "Best Sound for the Least Money at CES" and in the most recent Sound & Vision Magazine, Brent Butterworth wrote," Probably the most exciting sound bar demo I heard was was of the new GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array". Other writers were equally enthused (Darryl Wikinson, Dennis Burgher etc.). Most listeners will probably pair it with the SuperSat 3 or our new, yet to be released, Invisa 525s. Thanks, Sandy
post #1302 of 2809 Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the quick update.. and yes I have seen some of the press since CES and it just confirms what I have heard too.. July just seems so far away..lol

I will look forward to getting an audition when they are released .. but do you know of any dealers in the Arizona area that I could see them at?

And I am looking forward to an audition of the several choices you may have for surround speakers as well

Don J
post #1303 of 2809 Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 11
I am thinking of new speakers for my dedicated 2 channel room'12by 20'.I use a pair of MA rs6 silver which I really like.They do alot right.Not the best by any means but good sounding.I was using a older Rotel integrated amp and now am getting the newer Music Hall A70.2 integrated which has 125w a channel.I use a music hall TT and CD player and listen mostly to classic rock but most anything also.Have over a 500cd's.I see the Tritons 3s reviews but most just mention HT use.How would they do with just a 2 channel integrated amp that has no bass mangement.Are they good for just a 2 stereo system or would I be better off with MA gold series or some other higher end speaker without the subs buidt in.Thanks
post #1304 of 2809 Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

I am thinking of new speakers for my dedicated 2 channel room'12by 20'.I use a pair of MA rs6 silver which I really like.They do alot right.Not the best by any means but good sounding.I was using a older Rotel integrated amp and now am getting the newer Music Hall A70.2 integrated which has 125w a channel.I use a music hall TT and CD player and listen mostly to classic rock but most anything also.Have over a 500cd's.I see the Tritons 3s reviews but most just mention HT use.How would they do with just a 2 channel integrated amp that has no bass mangement.Are they good for just a 2 stereo system or would I be better off with MA gold series or some other higher end speaker without the subs buidt in.Thanks

I often run mine for music in 2 channel on my anthem MRX 500 and they sound great
post #1305 of 2809 Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
hi. anyone have a link to the SuperSat 50C Center Channel ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #1306 of 2809 Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

hi. anyone have a link to the SuperSat 50C Center Channel ?

http://www.goldenear.com/index.php/products/supersat

scroll down a bit..
post #1307 of 2809 Old 04-13-2012, 07:05 PM

Anyone using a set of Aon 2 or 3's as a set of surrounds? Possibly with Triton Two's as fronts. Curious about your thoughts.
post #1308 of 2809 Old 04-14-2012, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I ordered Triton Twos from a local NJ dealer on March 24, and am told ETA will be end of April.

Sandy, is there a backorder situation with Triton Twos, or this is a more or less normal lead time?

Thanks.
post #1309 of 2809 Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM

Hi, A few more replies: to Donj-Our dealer in the Phoenix area is Jerry's Audio/Video, which is now a custom operation run by Jerry's son Michael. He will actually bring speakers for you to listen to in your home. to Buddahead- The Tritons do not require any bass management; just hook them up with a pair of speaker wires, plug them in and enjoy. They are excellent for two channel music, as all the reviewers have raved (Absolute Sound, Stereophile, Sound&Vision, Home Theater, Home Theater Review and the list goes on). to Wojtekmk2- Yes, sales during the first quarter were double our projection, so we stocked out in late March, but will have more later this month. Sorry for the delay, but I hope that you find the delay worthwhile. You know the old adage: all good things are worth waiting for. Thanks, Sandy
post #1310 of 2809 Old 04-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post

Hi, The SuperCinema 3D Array is moving forward into the tooling stage. We expect them to be available, at this point in July.

Can't wait!
post #1311 of 2809 Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Yes, sales during the first quarter were double our projection, so we stocked out in late March, but will have more later this month. Sorry for the delay, but I hope that you find the delay worthwhile. You know the old adage: all good things are worth waiting for. Thanks, Sandy

Great, can't wait!
post #1312 of 2809 Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Hi, Sandy, is there any update on the back-order situation of Triton Twos? I ordered on March 24, and still no call from my dealer as to ETA. I am getting antsy...
post #1313 of 2809 Old 04-30-2012, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone is using the towers as surrounds. I have B&W 803 matrix for fronts and 804 matrix for surrounds. I listen to alot of 2 channel and multichannel music, with movies being rare. So rare that I actually tell people I have a music room with a projector, instead of a theater...anyway, I have had these great B&W's for 15 years powered by Bryston amps and I am looking for a new speaker system to give me another 15 years...I like the idea of speakers than can reproduce some mid bass, not necessarily low extreme bass, in the rears for multichannel music, using a sub only for movie LFE channels..I was thinking of 4 triton twos with a sat50 center and one or two force field subs for LFE. Is this overkill?

One other question is about the height of the triton twos. Currently, my B&W 803 matrix speakers are 41 inches tall. I enjoy a great front soundstage and imaging. With the triton twos being 48 inches, I am concerned that the soundstage would sound too high at my regular seating height of roughly 37 inches and 10 feet from the front speakers. Currently, I have the speakers at the same height all around for optimal performance. Any input is greatly appreciated. Pete
post #1314 of 2809 Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Thanks Sandy.I have contacted Ovation in Indy to hear them sometime this May.Can't wait.
post #1315 of 2809 Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

Thanks Sandy.I have contacted Ovation in Indy to hear them sometime this May.Can't wait.

AVE SANDY!! Question, I need yours or anyone's opinion on a new set-up I'm putting together for my den.. Aon 3 for mains, SSAT 50c with Force Field 3 for center and SSAT 3 for surrounds, 2 Force Field 4s for LFE. Running on Yamaha RX A 1010 receiver. I have a good amount of SACDs that I enjoy listening to.
post #1316 of 2809 Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

Hi, In response to pete6737: This sounds like an interesting system that you are contemplating. Regarding your question about height: The center of the tweeter on the Triton Two is actually about 39.5" high. This is the important dimension relative to what you are talking about, as it is in the center of the two midrange drivers in a D'appolito configuration. With your seating position 10 feet out, I don't think that you are going to run into any issues with this. In fact, I know that you will be more than pleasantly surprised with the soundstaging. Just for reference, the smaller Triton Three puts the center of the tweeter 35.5" high. Regarding the double Triton Two System etc. I do know of several listeners who have put this together and it is quite impressive, to say the least. Some others have opted for Triton Threes in the rear, also very exciting. If you are setting up this kind of system, I have an interesting alternative for the bass. You can run a split of the LFE out of your processor and run it into all four Tritons. You would then configure the processor to Large Left and Right and Sub Yes. Make sure that you are not using a processor setting that sends stereo bass information to the LFE (some do and call it bass plus or some such thing). You can then set up the bass level on the Tritons for music and set up the LFE for movies and will then be surrounded and enveloped by amazing bass. Having the LFE come out of four different speakers has definite advantages. I don't know if you will need additional subwoofers...it depends on your room and personal taste. I would suggest setting it up without the additional subs and then decide. You can always add them later. Have fun, I know that you will! All the Best, Sandy
post #1317 of 2809 Old 04-30-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Sandy, I will be looking forward to listening to these speakers very soon.
post #1318 of 2809 Old 05-04-2012, 12:49 PM

To audiovidgeek: This sounds excellent. Lots of bass. As I had mentioned, run the speaker wire for center to the sub, then from the sub to the Sat 50. I have several thoughts about hook up. When you get the system home, get in touch and I will give you some options. Enjoy! Sandy
post #1319 of 2809 Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Hi all. I'm considering a possible upgrade to my HT system. I'm currently running a 5.1 system with Paradigm Monitor v5 bookshelf speakers (Titans for mains and Atoms for surrounds), a CC-290, and an SVS PB-10NSD sub. The Paradigms are driven by a Denon 3808CI.

The Paradigms are just a bit bright for my ears and I haven't yet figured out how to use my Denon to make them sound a bit warmer. To compound this, my CC-290 needs repair (faulty driver, or something . . . male voices have a "buzzing" quality to them). It is still under warranty.

I've also recently subscribed to HT Magazine, and their reviews of the Golden Ear products, as well as the new RSL system, combined with the issues I've described regarding my current gear, are giving me a wicked case of "upgrade-itis".

I'm really fond of my SVS. For an entry level sub, I think it kicks some serious butt! When I do upgrade, I'm planning to go for their PC-12 Plus. However I'm not planning to do that anytime soon. Still pretty happy with what I've got.

For this reason, I think I'm leaning towards a set based on Aon 3s for mains, rather than a Triton 3 system. I think I'd go with the SS3 for surrounds. Not sure about the center. I like the idea of a 3rd Aon 3 for the center, but wondering if the SS50C is really better suited for that job.

Going this way would be more budget friendly than a Triton 3 system, as I would keep my existing sub for now, and upgrade that later on.

It also seems like it might be a bit simpler. From what I've read here, some don't seem to think that the subs in the Tritons go quite low enough. It also seems that some are finding the setup for the Triton subs rather tricky and those who are also integrating additional, standalone subs seem to have even more issues to deal with.

My current system is my first foray beyond HTIB, so I'm not terribly experienced at this. I also have very few dealers in the area ( but there is one that sells Golden Ear). So auditioning equipment is difficult.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, pertinent to any and all of the above, and especially about the Aon vs Triton system issue, and also the Aon vs SS50C center channel issue.

I hope at least a few of you make it through this long-winded post so you can give me your insight.

Thanks in advance. Cheers. ?

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #1320 of 2809 Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM

Quote:

To audiovidgeek: This sounds excellent. Lots of bass. As I had mentioned, run the speaker wire for center to the sub, then from the sub to the Sat 50. I have several thoughts about hook up. When you get the system home, get in touch and I will give you some options. Enjoy! Sandy

Thanks Sandy, I was given clearance by the wife to go with the Triton 3s for mains if I'm willing to wait 2 mos. OR a little less. And have the Aon 3s for surrounds?? I'd still go with the center ch configuration as you suggested. I really enjoy that configuration on my HT set-up having Triton 2s for front and rears and SSat 50C + FF 4 for center and SSat 50 for SBs. As you may have guessed I'm a serious fan of GE Tech and DT previously. Thanks again for the quick response.. Cheers!!
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page