GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

post #2611 of 2623 Old 09-22-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have been experimenting with my Triton 2's. I was running them full range with nothing plugged in to the LFE. But as we are getting ready to down size our house I have been trying to use the Triton 2's lower end as my sub woofer. I set the L and R speakers to crossover at 50 and then send the LFE output to the Triton 2's LFE input. I have to say NOT BAD. Jury is still out on if that would allow me to do away with external subwoofers. Any one else using their Triton 2's this way? Any feedback on this set up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2623 Old 09-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodges View Post
So I have been experimenting with my Triton 2's. I was running them full range with nothing plugged in to the LFE. But as we are getting ready to down size our house I have been trying to use the Triton 2's lower end as my sub woofer. I set the L and R speakers to crossover at 50 and then send the LFE output to the Triton 2's LFE input. I have to say NOT BAD. Jury is still out on if that would allow me to do away with external subwoofers. Any one else using their Triton 2's this way? Any feedback on this set up?
I have my triton 2 connected lfe and I have a svs pb13 sub I tried using just the tritons 2 and was not happy the bass is boomy to me sorry I can't explain it better. I am actually thinking about getting the 7 instead and buying another svs sub good luck
post #2613 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
For my room and speaker placement, I found that running the Triton 2's full range but also having the LFE plugged in gave the best response. I also toe the speaker's in to my main listening position. I have the speakers about 10 feet apart with a SuperCenter XL as my center. I sit about 10 feet away. I'm mostly just watching movies.

I found that turning the gain on the Triton 2's to 12 o'clock gave a good bass response and integrated well with the center, which I crossed at 50Hz.

Again, this is all for my room, so YMMV. I'm admittedly a novice at all this, but I took a bunch of measurements with REW and experimented with different crossovers for the Tritons, speaker placements, delays/distance for the Triton2/subwoofer in the receiver and found the above settings made everything play well together while giving the response I liked the most.

Make sure you have double bass turned off in your receiver! That made things ridiculously boomy. I also found just moving my speakers a few inches really changed things. Toeing them in helped a great deal too.
post #2614 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfniner View Post
I have my triton 2 connected lfe and I have a svs pb13 sub I tried using just the tritons 2 and was not happy the bass is boomy to me sorry I can't explain it better. I am actually thinking about getting the 7 instead and buying another svs sub good luck
I have to agree with you with I had my Two's I didn't have my HSU sub and there was never enough bass for me, definitely not enough for music. The Two's sound awesome just not for the low end for me.
I don't think any towers can match what you get with a real quality subwoofer, my HSU is to my right in the corner and it just fills the room like the sound if floating down from the ceiling.
When my friends listen for the first time they think the bass is coming from the towers till i turn the sub OFF and let them hear the difference.
For me my HSU has been the best addition to my HT setup, so far.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm Studio 100's v5 + CC-690
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2615 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
I'm getting my Triton 1s dialed- and broken-in, and have been thinking about those disks & spikes. I put carpet spikes on my old Boston towers (VR-3s), and all it did for me was make them a pain to scoot around when I used the precision distance meter on my receiver.

I now have (brand new) pergo floors, so it seems the correct combo would be the disks + the spikes for "an overall improvement in sonic performance." I do notice that most of the nosebleed speakers I see have feet that would do a lunar lander proud.

So what's up with those things anyway? Links will be fine, if anyone has them. Anyone else fit them yet to a Triton tower? I'm concerned that the disks won't "stick" to the spikes when the speaker is in the air, which would make moving them even a little inconvenient/dangerous (to the floors, and therefore my life).

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
Hey can you tell us what you are using with your One's? Amp Pre/Pro stand alone Sub?
If you have a stand alone sub how are you running the One's what crossover setting?

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2616 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
I have to agree with you with I had my Two's I didn't have my HSU sub and there was never enough bass for me, definitely not enough for music. The Two's sound awesome just not for the low end for me.
I don't think any towers can match what you get with a real quality subwoofer, my HSU is to my right in the corner and it just fills the room like the sound if floating down from the ceiling.
When my friends listen for the first time they think the bass is coming from the towers till i turn the sub OFF and let them hear the difference.
For me my HSU has been the best addition to my HT setup, so far.
When I had my 2' defined as full range the bass WAS very boomy. Once I set the cross over for them as 50hz and let the LFE go to the 2's it wasn't bad. Almost as good as the 2 CS16-46s .
post #2617 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I had my 2s set up with LFE with my Marantz 8801 and though it was great for movies it was not great for music. Too much emphasis in the bass region. Sandy has said that sending the full spectrum to the Triton 2s and letting the subwoofer electronics in the 2s determine the correct amount is the preferred method for listening to music.

What amp/receiver/preamp are you using? What calibration are you using -Audyssey?

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #2618 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I had my 2s set up with LFE with my Marantz 8801 and though it was great for movies it was not great for music. Too much emphasis in the bass region. Sandy has said that sending the full spectrum to the Triton 2s and letting the subwoofer electronics in the 2s determine the correct amount is the preferred method for listening to music.

What amp/receiver/preamp are you using? What calibration are you using -Audyssey?
I am using a Krell Foundation. I did have to adjust the speaker cross over settings that ARES came up with. I have also turned ARES off at times.

Last edited by dhodges; 09-23-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #2619 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Hey can you tell us what you are using with your One's? Amp Pre/Pro stand alone Sub?
If you have a stand alone sub how are you running the One's what crossover setting?

Thanks
I'm using a Pioneer SC-57 receiver (class D amps, MCACC pro circa 2011), fronts are set to "large," and the subwoofer is set to "yes," running LFE connects to the appropriate connectors on the 1s. The -57 has two .1 outputs, but research shows this is a simple split inside the receiver and isn't a true stereo sub output. I'll get that when I upgrade to an SC-89 some time this year. Yes, I know .1 is still a mono signal, but the -89 does bass EQ per-channel, so there .

I'm using this connection setup based on research in various threads, the manuals, and the fact this (as I recall) is how Sandy set up his Atmos demo at CEDIA. I'm using a 60C center, set to "small," crossed at 80 hz. I had it set to 100hz per the manual, but found the center seemed "hollow." Likely this is caused by having a different "big" center (Boston Acoustics VRC, circa 2005) crossed at that point for 10 years. No stand-alone sub. I have a supercube 6000 that's only 18 months old I could press into service, but with a pair of 1600 watt subs already in the 1s, I think that's probably overkill. I have a VERY modest listening room, often dominated by cooking noises from the adjoining kitchen (like right now). I've got a pair of Supersat 3s on the way, but for now my old Boston VRXs are doing a yeoman's job holding up the rear channels.

The wife put in pergo floors last week and I'm waiting on treatments & rugs to tame the room. That said, the 1s fill the space incredibly well, and I actually appreciate the liveliness I've got now, compared to wall-to-wall carpet. I'm only on week 2 of having them. I'm planning a more detailed review once I get the whole thing really dialed in. But already I can say "WOW!!!"
post #2620 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I'm using a Pioneer SC-57 receiver (class D amps, MCACC pro circa 2011), fronts are set to "large," and the subwoofer is set to "yes," running LFE connects to the appropriate connectors on the 1s. The -57 has two .1 outputs, but research shows this is a simple split inside the receiver and isn't a true stereo sub output. I'll get that when I upgrade to an SC-89 some time this year. Yes, I know .1 is still a mono signal, but the -89 does bass EQ per-channel, so there .

I'm using this connection setup based on research in various threads, the manuals, and the fact this (as I recall) is how Sandy set up his Atmos demo at CEDIA. I'm using a 60C center, set to "small," crossed at 80 hz. I had it set to 100hz per the manual, but found the center seemed "hollow." Likely this is caused by having a different "big" center (Boston Acoustics VRC, circa 2005) crossed at that point for 10 years. No stand-alone sub. I have a supercube 6000 that's only 18 months old I could press into service, but with a pair of 1600 watt subs already in the 1s, I think that's probably overkill. I have a VERY modest listening room, often dominated by cooking noises from the adjoining kitchen (like right now). I've got a pair of Supersat 3s on the way, but for now my old Boston VRXs are doing a yeoman's job holding up the rear channels.

The wife put in pergo floors last week and I'm waiting on treatments & rugs to tame the room. That said, the 1s fill the space incredibly well, and I actually appreciate the liveliness I've got now, compared to wall-to-wall carpet. I'm only on week 2 of having them. I'm planning a more detailed review once I get the whole thing really dialed in. But already I can say "WOW!!!"
Thanks for the info... I still planning on getting me a set of the One's will have to wait till the end of the year. But really curious of how the the bass sounds. I know some of what to expect with the overall sound since I had the Twos several years ago. Can only imagine how the One's will sound espicially now that I have a Pre/Pro setup to push them with. I was just hoping that with the Subs in the One's combined with my HSU that its not overkill.
I would imainge if you were running the One's with a Sub you can set them to Small with a crossover of 50 or 60.

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer

post #2621 of 2623 Old 09-23-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Okay, you commented on the bass. I paid (what I consider) big bucks for that supercube 6000, to integrate with my Boston VR3s. My previous sub was a leftover from an Energy Classic system that I literally tore apart. Small satellites just aren't for me, I play my music too loud for that sort of speaker.

My child and my wife's cats killed that poor sub. The supercube that replaced it showed me how important detailed bass was. But I never pretended the sub was matched to the mains. I didn't really think it was important.

Again, this is just my impression, and I've only had the 1s for a week, and the room isn't done. I just now ordered (wife-approved) acoustic treatment for the ceiling. Anyway, my supercube was detailed, but the 1s are musical. The bass is musical. I didn't understand the idea until now.

Bah. I've had to revise this three times just to avoid launching my review too early. I really, REALLY like these speakers.

Enjoy yours.
post #2622 of 2623 Old 09-24-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Okay, you commented on the bass. I paid (what I consider) big bucks for that supercube 6000, to integrate with my Boston VR3s. My previous sub was a leftover from an Energy Classic system that I literally tore apart. Small satellites just aren't for me, I play my music too loud for that sort of speaker.

My child and my wife's cats killed that poor sub. The supercube that replaced it showed me how important detailed bass was. But I never pretended the sub was matched to the mains. I didn't really think it was important.

Again, this is just my impression, and I've only had the 1s for a week, and the room isn't done. I just now ordered (wife-approved) acoustic treatment for the ceiling. Anyway, my supercube was detailed, but the 1s are musical. The bass is musical. I didn't understand the idea until now.

Bah. I've had to revise this three times just to avoid launching my review too early. I really, REALLY like these speakers.

Enjoy yours.
You like your music loud is the same for me, that was the one reason I originally sold off my Two's back then I didn't have the Amp or the Sub, since I have added those 2 things I have tried 3 different speaker companies and all they did was get louder but none of them had the SOUND that the Two's did. This is the reason I am so eager to back to Goldenear and get a pair of the Ones.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer

post #2623 of 2623 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Proper Settings for the Triton Speakers

Hi, I have addressed this several times, but will again. The Tritons should be set as Large L and R with no crossover on them. If you are using them in a 5.1 system, even though previously we recommended just speaker wire, recently we found that when you set the processor to Large L and R and Sub No, even though the LFE information is fed into the L and R channels, it is attenuated and/or rolled off, so we now recommend using the LFE in: Large L and R (no crossover) Sub Yes. Set the bass level on the back of the Tritons to taste with 2 channel music. DO NOT use Double Bass, Bass Plus, Super Bass or whatever else your processor calls it when it feeds bass on 2 channel music to both the main channels and LFE, as this will result in boomy bass. Set the LFE channel to taste with movies. As I have mentioned, normally I prefer it without Audyssey or other correction systems. Also, and very important, I believe that Audyssey has some kind of dynamic expansion system or bass dynamic expansion system (I can't remember exactly what it is called) that results in very boomy sound. Apparently, once you engage Audyssey, even if you then turn Audyssey off, this expansion system is engaged unless you go in and specifically turn it off. Again, proper setting of the sub level on the back of the Triton is important. Often, on Twos, it may be 9 or 10 0'clock. I can't tell you how many times I have gone into a store where they or their customers were saying the Tritons had too much bass, only to find that the level on the back was too high. That is what the control is there for, and a big advantage with Tritons, as you do have this kind of control over the bass level.
Oh, I hope that all of you that have the new Ones are enjoying them. Response has been pretty phenomenal. And the bass, among other things, is quite special. They are shipping regularly now as we fill the pipeline. We are still running backordered, but catching up, and have good quantities coming throughout the fall. All the Best, Sandy
Reply Speakers

User Tag List