Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #2671 of 2688 Old 10-19-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Here is a very informative interview by Scott Wilkinson of Sandy on Scotts podcast Home Theater Geeks that was done this week. It is about an hour long and worth the time spent.
http://twit.tv/show/home-theater-geeks/228
rustolemite and Bigham16 like this.

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60 surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds

Last edited by Audiguy3; 10-19-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2688 Old 10-19-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin22 View Post
Thanks. Has it made a difference in home theater as well?
I use the 1s in 2 channel only. I have a Focal Jm Lab Electra complement for my HT system. The 1s wreck the Electras too btw.
post #2673 of 2688 Old 10-19-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
Yes the difference was dramatic. At my local shop (Audio Alternative) Rick set up both and the mid range and bass was dramatically better. But you have to have the ability to place the XL as it will not mount on a wall and if you put it on a shelf you need about 16" of depth.

As to your present problem one does have to set up the volume level to match or at least be a couple of db louder than the L/Rs. I used a Radio Shack sound meter to match my speaker levels with my Marantz AV8801. Right now I have not done the ones with Audyssey setup . Have you tried that?
Yes I have and I actually use the Dialogue Lift and have the volume up on the Center vs the L/R just not that clear. My tv is on a stand thats 12 inches off the ground and my center is in front level with the bottom of the tv and firing upwards. It's just not as clear as I was expecting. It's like my Axiom surrounds they are small compared to the other brands I have tried but they beat them all which is why I still use them, big not always better.
Which is why I think its funny that some of the complaints about the Tritons is "looks". I have never given that a second thought when buying speakers.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #2674 of 2688 Old 10-19-2014, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
During the show, Sandy mentioned setting the Tritons up with the lfe.
I did that with my T2's, but found the bass too boomy, even with the dial at zero on the dial? My T2's are 18 inches from the back wall and 10 inches from the side wall as the room dictates. I have the T2's approximately 7 feet apart toed-in to equilateral triangle to the MLP.

I am running the second lfe out to a PoweSoundAudio XS30.

Using an Onkyo 818 with Audyssey xt32. The lfe crossover at 80hz. I have the dial on the PSA XS30 at 75 db. Audyssey not engaged.

This seems unusual and I am not sure what I am doing wrong???

I am wondering if I should set the lfe crossover to say 120hz for example and then use the dials on both the T2's and PSA XS30 to regulate the bass to the low, low frequency???
post #2675 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post

Using an Onkyo 818 with Audyssey xt32. The lfe crossover at 80hz. I have the dial on the PSA XS30 at 75 db. Audyssey not engaged.

This seems unusual and I am not sure what I am doing wrong???
Make sure you have your sub set to "yes" and not "plus" (or anything else). Every receiver does this somewhat differently, but you basically want the receiver to use the sub line-outs for LFE content only. With Pioneers, using the "plus" setting will have the bass sent to the LFE *and* the wire, resulting in "boomy" bass with speakers like the tritons.
post #2676 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
Make sure you have your sub set to "yes" and not "plus" (or anything else). Every receiver does this somewhat differently, but you basically want the receiver to use the sub line-outs for LFE content only. With Pioneers, using the "plus" setting will have the bass sent to the LFE *and* the wire, resulting in "boomy" bass with speakers like the tritons.
Thanks for your reply.

While trying to fall asleep last night, i think i figured out what i need to do.

Since Onkyo has their "Large" setting as ...FULL RANGE...
i think if i set the front crossover to 80hz it will run the Tritons in a way where i can control the attentuator on the back of the Tritons for bass management.

It will essentially set them to "small", but the LFE should be more manageable?

I will try this and see what happens???
post #2677 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

Have questions about connections as well
Would connect the One's with standard speaker cable directly to amp then set AVR to Small with a 60 to 80hz settings, using the Sub out to my HSU for all LFE?

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #2678 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It'll depend on your tastes, I guess. As I understand it, the only reason GE recommends connecting the LFE to a pair of tritons is a quirk of the way at least some electronics manufacturers design their systems. For whatever reason, they roll off the LFE signal when it's sent down the wire, regardless of the speaker setting.

Using "Yes + Large" means all the LFE on movies and multi-channel music will end up at the tritons, while regular music will arrive normally without being hashed up by the receiver and be handled by the triton's own (sophisticated, expensive) electronics.

But what you're describing should work.
post #2679 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sonic,

We have 4 Triton 2's (Front and Rear) (we are currently replacing the front pair with Triton One's) a SuperCenter XL, and a ForceField 5 Sub

We are using a NAD T787 receiver, and in our situation we found our system sounds best:

Triton 2's (front and rear) Set to Large

Subwoofer - YES

SuperCenter XL - Set to Small crossover at 50hz

LFE to the 4 Triton 2's and the FF 5 with the rear dial on the speakers set to 8:30

Turn all the AUDYSSEY stuff off including dynamic EQ and dynamic volume it made our system sound boomy

This is what Sandy is now suggesting for a setup like ours and once again he's spot on!

Hope this helps,
Steve609

Last edited by Steve609; Yesterday at 01:22 PM.
post #2680 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
It'll depend on your tastes, I guess. As I understand it, the only reason GE recommends connecting the LFE to a pair of tritons is a quirk of the way at least some electronics manufacturers design their systems. For whatever reason, they roll off the LFE signal when it's sent down the wire, regardless of the speaker setting.

Using "Yes + Large" means all the LFE on movies and multi-channel music will end up at the tritons, while regular music will arrive normally without being hashed up by the receiver and be handled by the triton's own (sophisticated, expensive) electronics.

But what you're describing should work.
Will try the One's without my Sub just to see how they compare, but just don't see them being able to replace my HSU Sub.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #2681 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post
Sonic,

We have 4 Triton 2's (Front and Rear) (we are currently replacing the front pair with Triton One's) a SuperCenter XL, and a ForceField 5 Sub

We are using a NAD T787 receiver, and in our situation we found our system sounds best:

Subwoofer - YES

LFE to the 4 Triton 2's and the FF 5 with the rear dial on the speakers set to 8:30

Turn all the AUDYSSEY stuff off including dynamic EQ and dynamic volume it made our system sound boomy

This is what Sandy is now suggesting for a setup like ours and once again he's spot on!

Hope this helps,
Steve609
Thanks Steve 609

I will take your suggestions. I have all of the audyssey off now. Just have not hooked up the LFE yet. Will do tomorrow.
post #2682 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post
Sonic,

Subwoofer - YES

Hope this helps,
Steve609
My setup is about the same T1's as fronts T2's side surround and Supersats as rear surround, XL center and 1 FF5 hooked up with LFE sounds great and no boom.

GoldenEar Triton One's 2
GoldenEar Triton Two's 2
GoldenEar Super Center XL 1
GoldenEar SuperSat 3 2
GoldenEar ForceField 5 1
OPPO 105, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2
post #2683 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Enclosures for Invisas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post
Is anyone using any of the GE in ceiling speakers? I am thinking about getting 4 for my atmos overhead speakers. My concern is there will be too much sound transfer above the speakers to my living room above my basement theater. I have been researching dynabox in ceiling enclosures but am not sure if they would help or hurt the speakers performance.
Hi, You can put the Invisas in enclosures like the Dynamats. We suggest about 1.25-1.50 cubic feet. All the Best, Sandy
post #2684 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Center Channels for Triton Sevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoe36 View Post
Hi All,
I'm in the market for a new 5.0 HT setup to pair with my Epik Empire. I stumbled across several positive reviews and recommendations for the GoldenEar lineup. A local shop has the Triton 7's and SuperSats available for demos so I'm hoping to check them out.

Apologies if this has been discussed, but are the SuperSat 3's a decent pairing with the 7's? Would the SuperSat 3 be a capable center or would it be overpowered by the towers? The satellites are compelling based on price and size compared to the SuperCenters.
Hi, Although you can certainly use SuperSat 3C as a center channel with the Sevens, most listeners would probably opt for the SuperSat 50 or SuperCenter X. All the Best, Sandy
post #2685 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM

Tritons for Your System with MegaSub

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaks38 View Post
Am contemplating going the GE route for my HT setup. Currently i have 4 15s in an infinite baffle setup, powered with 1000wrms. So my issue is that im trying to determine which front towers to get that will complement the subs. I cant imagine the 1 or 2 will rival the bass output of my IB setup so i am trying to figure out could i save some cash and get by say with the triton 7, as i dont really need the added bass output of the 1 or 2s however i see there are different midrange drivers between the 1, 2 and 7 for HT usage, is it really worth paying extra for the 1 or 2s or do the 7s seem to be the ideal tower for HT setups.

Thanks for the help
Hi, Wow, 4 15" drivers with 1000watts driving them. I suspect that you like to listen loud. I would suggest Triton Ones set to large, and use your sub on the LFE channel. All the Best, Sandy
post #2686 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thduke View Post
My setup is about the same T1's as fronts T2's side surround and Supersats as rear surround, XL center and 1 FF5 hooked up with LFE sounds great and no boom.
Once we turned all the AUDYSSEY stuff off including "dynamic EQ and dynamic volume" we no longer have boomy bass.

Can't wait to hear how it sounds with the One's.
post #2687 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Center Channel on Shelf or Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I had the 60 and it was mounted below the TV and above the mantle. I had trouble with dialog on movies and tv. No amount of tweaking could help.
Here is a picture of when I had it just sitting on the mantle which gave me the best sound rather than mounting it on the wall but the problem was it fell off when I was listening at too high of a volume:

I gave it to my daughter in California and on her set up the speaker was stunning. I think the mantle interfered with the sound as my daughters set up is on a flat wall with no mantle or TV above it.

Hi, Generally, if you are putting a center channel, or any speaker for that matter, on a shelf or mantle, you should move it so the front of the speaker is even with the front edge of the shelf. If it is further back, so the shelf projects, you will get diffraction coloration, which colors the sound. All the Best, Sandy
post #2688 of 2688 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM

AVR Settings with Triton Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Have questions about connections as well
Would connect the One's with standard speaker cable directly to amp then set AVR to Small with a 60 to 80hz settings, using the Sub out to my HSU for all LFE?
Hi, The Hsu subs are good. If you are using one with the Triton Ones, I would suggest Triton Ones Large, and just use the Hsu on LFE. You can also run LFE into everything and Triton Ones large, sub Yes, 3 way LFE split. Set the bass level on the Triton Ones on 2 channel music, then LFE to taste. All the Best, Sandy
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page