Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #2761 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 110
A lot of the GE dealers are custom installers that don't operate storefronts, it states this right on the dealer lookup page... I'd guess this is the case with the company in question. Unfortunately this means they don't have stock to demo, which is my main gripe with the sales model. I've been fortunate enough to go to shows where I can hear lots of equipment, but rarely products that I'm especially interested in. In any event, if they are on the dealer page GE should stand behind them and I wouldn't be concerned with getting ripped off.

Some of you may recall I was a recent buyer of a GE 3D Array soundbar. I got it mounted to my TV's swing arm mount last night using some brackets available online. The brackets featured open channels to allow for a relatively universal install.

Brackets:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No matter how tight I clamped down the bolts on the TV VESA holes (which to be honest I was weary of applying too much force as like anyone in their right mind I don't want to break a perfectly fine 55" Samsung) it just wouldn't carry the weight of the GE soundbar and would slide down the bracket channel despite it being within the weight capacity listed by the manufacturer, I didn't have any problem with the weight holding on the soundbar side. I ended up getting some very wide washers and epoxied them exactly where I needed them on the brackets which solved the weight holding issue. All in all I'm not super impressed with the brackets for the price, the only redeeming quality is they they are made of decently thick steel and once the install was done it provides a solid/sturdy feel.

I originally was going to use the threaded inserts on the soundbar but when first going to put it in on the left side, the threaded insert got dislodged from however it was mounted which made getting the bolt out impossible. I ended up having to cut the bolt head off which of course caused the remaining bolt and threaded insert to fall into the soundbar assembly. I'm not sure how this happened as I was being quite careful. I switched to the keyhole mounts on the soundbar which worked perfectly. I don't hear any rattling, nor any obvious sound quality issues from a hole being present where the threaded insert used to be. I busted out one of my Surefire flashlights and poked around but given the small hole I couldn't tell if the area where the threaded insert was located was sealed off from the driver compartments or not, I'm hoping it is in which case I should have no issue.

Now I'm just waiting on delivery of the soon to be released SVS PC-2000 in early December to completely finish off the bedroom audio project (currently using a spare Klipsch RW-12D which is not up to snuff). I'm very happy with the GE 3D Array, it's got the musicality I was really hoping to get with a form factor category that certainly isn't known for that trait, but was required in my set up. Today I was able to turn the soundbar to the right where I have a leather chair/ottoman, to the left where we have a dual reclining couch, and to the middle where our bed is located. Although I can only calibrate Audyssey to one spot (the bed), the sound on the other seating positions remained spectacular. I do wish Audyssey had multiple calibrations capability like MCACC, but it is otherwise superior in every way and probably not a big deal in the grand scheme.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 11-09-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added Soundbar bracket URL and stock photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post
A lot of the GE dealers are custom installers that don't operate storefronts, it states this right on the dealer lookup page... I'd guess this is the case with the company in question. Unfortunately this means they don't have stock to demo, which is my main gripe with the sales model. I've been fortunate enough to go to shows where I can hear lots of equipment, but rarely products that I'm especially interested in. In any event, if they are on the dealer page GE should stand behind them and I wouldn't be concerned with getting ripped off.

Some of you may recall I was a recent buyer of a GE 3D Array soundbar. I got it mounted to my TV's swing arm mount last night using some brackets available online. The brackets featured open channels to allow for a relatively universal install.

Brackets:

No matter how tight I clamped down the bolts on the TV VESA holes (which to be honest I was weary of applying too much force as like anyone in their right mind I don't want to break a perfectly fine 55" Samsung) it just wouldn't carry the weight of the GE soundbar and would slide down the bracket channel despite it being within the weight capacity listed by the manufacturer, I didn't have any problem with the weight holding on the soundbar side. I ended up getting some very wide washers and epoxied them exactly where I needed them on the brackets which solved the weight holding issue. All in all I'm not super impressed with the brackets for the price, the only redeeming quality is they they are made of decently thick steel and once the install was done it provides a solid/sturdy feel.

I originally was going to use the threaded inserts on the soundbar but when first going to put it in on the left side, the threaded insert got dislodged from however it was mounted which made getting the bolt out impossible. I ended up having to cut the bolt head off which of course caused the remaining bolt and threaded insert to fall into the soundbar assembly. I'm not sure how this happened as I was being quite careful. I switched to the keyhole mounts on the soundbar which worked perfectly. I don't hear any rattling, nor any obvious sound quality issues from a hole being present where the threaded insert used to be. I busted out one of my Surefire flashlights and poked around but given the small hole I couldn't tell if the area where the threaded insert was located was sealed off from the driver compartments or not, I'm hoping it is in which case I should have no issue.

Now I'm just waiting on delivery of the soon to be released SVS PC-2000 in early December to completely finish off the bedroom audio project (currently using a spare Klipsch RW-12D which is not up to snuff). I'm very happy with the GE 3D Array, it's got the musicality I was really hoping to get with a form factor category that certainly isn't known for that trait, but was required in my set up. Today I was able to turn the soundbar to the right where I have a leather chair/ottoman, to the left where we have a dual reclining couch, and to the middle where our bed is located. Although I can only calibrate Audyssey to one spot (the bed), the sound on the other seating positions remained spectacular. I do wish Audyssey had multiple calibrations capability like MCACC, but it is otherwise superior in every way and probably not a big deal in the grand scheme.
Small world. I actually have the same bracket that I plan to mount the GoldenEar soundbar on as well. I am using it right now with an old Visio sound bar and its working great. I was able to mount mine to the VESA mount rather than the tv which allowed me to put a washer on either side and tighten the nut down on the back really tight. It hasn't moved at all and its sitting about halfway up the large opening. I'll be using my soundbar with my old SVS pc 20-39 I have currently in my home theater which gives me an excuse to upgrade.

post #2763 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantos View Post
Small world. I actually have the same bracket that I plan to mount the GoldenEar soundbar on as well. I am using it right now with an old Visio sound bar and its working great. I was able to mount mine to the VESA mount rather than the tv which allowed me to put a washer on either side and tighten the nut down on the back really tight. It hasn't moved at all and its sitting about halfway up the large opening. I'll be using my soundbar with my old SVS pc 20-39 I have currently in my home theater which gives me an excuse to upgrade.

Indeed a small world, we'll have similar systems as well once you get the GE and I get the SVS!

That's nice that you were able to crank it down tight on your mount instead of sandwiched between the TV VESA holes and the wall mount plate. My mount is a relatively expensive Peerless model but hey can't have it all I guess. I'm sure if I could have cranked on it harder without fear of breaking expensive equipment I wouldn't have had to modify it by epoxy-ing (? LOL) washers onto the brackets. I would have liked to have seen teeth cut into the channel on the bracket that would aid in support vertically, but the brackets are otherwise heavy duty compared to the very flimsy looking alternatives I found.

You probably won't have issues but I feel I should mention it, the GE soundbar is likely at least double the weight of the Vizio soundbar so make sure you double check all the bolts for good torque. I helped a buddy install a Vizio soundbar, and not that all of their models weigh the same but I would have been surprised if it was over 7 pounds (crazy considering its internally amplified!). Given my experience I'd probably also recommend using the keyhole mount on the GE soundbar instead of the brass threaded insert. Mine might have just been a fluke when it broke, who knows, I just hope it's not actually in need of repair though it doesn't seem to be the case from what I can tell. In any event the keyhole worked perfectly and looking at your setup it should for you as well.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the GE 3D Array! Be sure to post your impressions when you get it. What AVR are you going to use? I debated on what level of AVR to go with, in the end I played it safe and went mid-ish range with a Denon AVR-X2100 as it had a solid review of its sister unit (s900) recently in Sound and Vision magazine and tested power ratings looked very adequate, though I've seen people splurge on higher end units and report great results as well.

One last note, when I rewired everything when doing the install on mine, I replaced my HDMI cable with a new Monoprice 18gbps Redmere slim cable, given we both move our displays around on swing arm mounts I thought I'd mention it as it places considerably less stress on the HDMI ports than the old thick cables I was using which should be better for the longterm health of the display and also makes it a bit easier to move. Cheap for a little peace of mind (of course no performance benefit unless I go 4k which I don't plan on doing in my bedroom unless the TV breaks).

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #2764 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I'm also in the GE SVS club. They are a good combo.
mnc likes this.
post #2765 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the advice about mounting it and the hdmi cable. I might have to order a few of those. As for my receiver I plan to temporarily use my really old Pioneer Elite from my old basement theater until I decide what AVR to upgrade my main theater to so I can transfer my current one (also a Pioneer) to the upstairs. My really old one doesn't even have HDMI which is why I had to upgrade but I should be able to limp along on optical for audio until I figure out the new AVR's and atmos/auro/ whatever DTS ends up doing.

I blame this wonderful site for turning what should have been a simple upgrade of a soundbar on a secondary tv in my living room into an excuse for me to contemplate knocking down walls in my basement and completely redoing my whole main setup lol.
post #2766 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

I blame this wonderful site for turning what should have been a simple upgrade of a soundbar on a secondary tv in my living room into an excuse for me to contemplate knocking down walls in my basement and completely redoing my whole main setup lol.
Welcome to AVS! Sorry about your bank account...

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #2767 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Brackets:

I looked at these brackets. But just went to the hardware store and got some stiff metal strip that had holes in it. Cut to length. Put between the tv and the mount then used screw holes on the sound bar. Hangs perfectly under the tv.
post #2768 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice about mounting it and the hdmi cable. I might have to order a few of those. As for my receiver I plan to temporarily use my really old Pioneer Elite from my old basement theater until I decide what AVR to upgrade my main theater to so I can transfer my current one (also a Pioneer) to the upstairs. My really old one doesn't even have HDMI which is why I had to upgrade but I should be able to limp along on optical for audio until I figure out the new AVR's and atmos/auro/ whatever DTS ends up doing.

Ha! Too funny... I think you must be the Canadian me, or I, the American you.

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-61 in my theater. I strongly contemplated moving that to the bedroom and upgrade to an ATMOS Denon AVR for the theater and add the height channels now. The Pioneer's amp section is downright amazing, but it's lacking some features that would be useful in the theater such as on screen GUI since I don't have line of site to the equipment. In any event, I'm going to hold out a model year or two to see how HDCP 2.2 shakes out since I'd eventually like to go 4k in the theater being that I have a relatively massive 159" 16:9 screen and would hate to have to re-buy such a large purchase (was considering x7200) so soon. That, along with seeing how Auro shakes out, I decided it would be best to just buy a simple AVR now for the bedroom GE set up vs. putting me on a potentially long and expensive upgrade path.

And yes, for being a free forum it sure is expensive isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodges View Post
I looked at these brackets. But just went to the hardware store and got some stiff metal strip that had holes in it. Cut to length. Put between the tv and the mount then used screw holes on the sound bar. Hangs perfectly under the tv.
I contemplated doing exactly the same thing and I know the material you're speaking of. After using the brackets, I'm split 50/50 which way I would do it, if I had to do it again. But it's done now and works great, really $50 is a drop in the bucket and for me it really just comes down to quality and performance. The brackets had some shortcomings in my particular install, but in the end I was able to place it exactly where I needed it, which was important given its mounted between cabinets above and below it, and I literally have 1/2" of clearance between them vertically with the soundbar installed. Of course I pull the outside of the cabinet depth when viewing to avoid the immediate reflection points. To say it was tight was an understatement, I did my homework and came out looking like a genius to Mrs. Done Deal, and that's always the mission right?.

I'll post a new pic with it mounted in the next day or two, though even with all the lights on its hard to get a great picture of it because the speaker grille is like a black hole! Great for not distracting me during viewing, bad for pics. LOL

Last edited by Done Deal DR; 11-09-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Typo
post #2769 of 2789 Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Last week I picked up a pair of Triton Ones and all I can say is they are ruining me--everything else I listen to sounds so much worse! I am running them currently with my Rega Brio-R (I tried a Peachtree Deco 65 but the peachtree hissed--not a fault of these speakers it happened with other ones as well). They definitely get plenty loud with this setup while remaining clear and smooth sounding throughout. The only thing I'm concerned about is it says to be careful with lower power amplifiers in turning them up to the point where the output gets "distorted" as this might damage the speakers. Is this something that's obvious?

The triton Ones look much better in my home than I anticipated. In the store they looked utterly unremarkable however at home they look much more handsome with a very clean aesthetic that I imagine would work well with pretty much any taste from modern to Mediterranean.
post #2770 of 2789 Old 11-10-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by litany View Post
Last week I picked up a pair of Triton Ones and all I can say is they are ruining me--everything else I listen to sounds so much worse! I am running them currently with my Rega Brio-R (I tried a Peachtree Deco 65 but the peachtree hissed--not a fault of these speakers it happened with other ones as well). They definitely get plenty loud with this setup while remaining clear and smooth sounding throughout. The only thing I'm concerned about is it says to be careful with lower power amplifiers in turning them up to the point where the output gets "distorted" as this might damage the speakers. Is this something that's obvious?

The triton Ones look much better in my home than I anticipated. In the store they looked utterly unremarkable however at home they look much more handsome with a very clean aesthetic that I imagine would work well with pretty much any taste from modern to Mediterranean.
Funny that you mention their "look" I have read several post where people crap on GE because of the way they look. That is the last thing that should be in your decision making when buying a speaker.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #2771 of 2789 Old 11-10-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
GE's look? Like buying a Samsung or LG TV. Literally same exact black shiny plastic. Whatever's not black plastic is covered in the black socks. Does it matter? No. But yea you can pay 2 grand and get a custom made cabinet from Salk.
post #2772 of 2789 Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM

http://hometheaterreview.com/goldene...aker-reviewed/

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #2773 of 2789 Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
I'm also in the GE SVS club. They are a good combo.
I totally agree, especially the Tritons with the SVS Cylinders. I'm about to get a pair of PC-12 Pluses and plan on getting the Triton Sevens after that. Should be a great match!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #2774 of 2789 Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
My pair of Ones passed a very high bar this past weekend: My mother in law spent an entire weekend with them and her comment was "I like how it all matches." This is high praise indeed.

The wife calls them "the little black dress" of speakers. Exactly how this applies to a 5' tall 80 lb speaker, I dunno, but I take what I can get.
RPGMasta likes this.
post #2775 of 2789 Old 11-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottj View Post
My pair of Ones passed a very high bar this past weekend: My mother in law spent an entire weekend with them and her comment was "I like how it all matches." This is high praise indeed.

The wife calls them "the little black dress" of speakers. Exactly how this applies to a 5' tall 80 lb speaker, I dunno, but I take what I can get.
Women can't live with em, can't make em understand Home Theater!!!

Mitsubishi WD-92840
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
post #2776 of 2789 Old 11-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I've decided to go whole hog in my new theater build and go ahead and do a 7.4.4 Atmos setup. Two of the subs are the Triton 2s and two are DIY Maelstrom X 18's. My question is about my 4 in ceiling speakers. I noticed in the GE Atmos demo that they used 4 of the Invisa 7000s which appear to be very directional ceiling speakers. I thought Atmos called for a more wide dispersion speaker??

I am still also deciding what to finish off my surround setup with. I bought a pair of the in wall Invisa MPX's so now I just need to do Sat 3s or even Aon 2s or 3s on stands in the back of the room. What do you all think, hang the sat 3s on the back wall or use the Aon 2/3 as side or rear and put the MPX in the side or rear?

Here is what I have so far:

Triton 2
XL Center
Invisa MPX side or rear
Ceiling (4) ?
Rear?
Receiver Onkyo TX-NR3030 or NR 1010 with a dedicated AMP for the fronts?
Maelstrom X 18" subs front and back.
post #2777 of 2789 Old 11-11-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro28 View Post
So I've decided to go whole hog in my new theater build and go ahead and do a 7.4.4 Atmos setup. Two of the subs are the Triton 2s and two are DIY Maelstrom X 18's. My question is about my 4 in ceiling speakers. I noticed in the GE Atmos demo that they used 4 of the Invisa 7000s which appear to be very directional ceiling speakers. I thought Atmos called for a more wide dispersion speaker??

I am still also deciding what to finish off my surround setup with. I bought a pair of the in wall Invisa MPX's so now I just need to do Sat 3s or even Aon 2s or 3s on stands in the back of the room. What do you all think, hang the sat 3s on the back wall or use the Aon 2/3 as side or rear and put the MPX in the side or rear?

Here is what I have so far:

Triton 2
XL Center
Invisa MPX side or rear
Ceiling (4) ?
Rear?
Receiver Onkyo TX-NR3030 or NR 1010 with a dedicated AMP for the fronts?
Maelstrom X 18" subs front and back.
What about triton 7 s for rears instead of Aons on stands?
Onkyo 1010 with 3 monoblock emotivas (xpa 100s) (on sale for $287.10)
That would give you an excellent receiver and best channel separation for front stage as sometimes multichannel power amplifiers can have crosstalk.
Perhaps ss3 for Atmos if WAF is not an issue on omnimounts so you can turn the speaker if need be? Unlike the ceiling speakers that have a fixed angle of dispersion albeit goldenear speakers are excellent in whichever configuration you choose.
post #2778 of 2789 Old 11-12-2014, 03:41 AM

http://hometheaterreview.com/goldene...aker-reviewed/

Another TRIUMPH for Goldenear. Perfect ratings in every category!

Not many speaker companies i know of consistently produce speakers that get high ratings with each product.

G.E.T. Rocks!
post #2779 of 2789 Old 11-12-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

I have a 30 watt tube amp I haven't tried the Ones with, and I have read that Sandy likes to run them with a low powered SET tube amp. I can't tear myself away from my Bryston long enough to swap the tube amp in. The Bryston Triton combo is sweet indeed.
post #2780 of 2789 Old 11-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forums but have been a fan of GoldenEar speakers for while now. I would like some advice on 2 possible setups for my living room. My main floor is all open concept. The room in question 18'x11' and opens up into my kitchen/dining area. I will not be able to use floor standing speakers for this setup and will have to use use a bookshelf/in ceiling setup. I would really appreciate any input on the positives or negatives of each setup and which would you prefer.

Receiver: Pioneer SC-87

Option 1:
Left: Aon 3
Right: Aon 3
Centre: Supersat 60C
Surround L/R: Invisa HTR 7000
Sub: Forcefield 5

Option 2:
L/C/R: Invisa HTR 7000
Surround L/R: Invisa HTR 7000
Sub: Forcefield 5
post #2781 of 2789 Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Option 1 with this.....
post #2782 of 2789 Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
post #2783 of 2789 Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is running a pair of surround Aon3's a waste compared to running Supersat3 surrounds paired with a Supersat50C and Triton7 fronts?
post #2784 of 2789 Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtellme View Post
Is running a pair of surround Aon3's a waste compared to running Supersat3 surrounds paired with a Supersat50C and Triton7 fronts?
Hi, I would not say it is a waste. The SS 3s clearly have more extended low end. On the surround channels, this is not critical, but certainly not a waste. In terms of the center, the 50C certainly works well. If you have room for the SuperCenter X or XL, that would be worthwhile. All the Best, Sandy
post #2785 of 2789 Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Funny that you mention their "look" I have read several post where people crap on GE because of the way they look. That is the last thing that should be in your decision making when buying a speaker.
I agree that what they look like is secondary to what they sound like but it is certainly a good thing that they look decent too.
rustolemite likes this.
post #2786 of 2789 Old 11-19-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
I have a 30 watt tube amp I haven't tried the Ones with, and I have read that Sandy likes to run them with a low powered SET tube amp. I can't tear myself away from my Bryston long enough to swap the tube amp in. The Bryston Triton combo is sweet indeed.
Meh, I've never been particularly impressed with tubes personally. I guess they just don't really do it for me. I replaced the Peachtree with a Rega Brio-R and the hissing is gone. Sounds great too!
post #2787 of 2789 Old 11-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Hey Sandy/AVS,

I am having issues with the local GoldenEar distributor and I was wondering if you guys think these are redflags like I am starting to. I live in Regina Saskatchewan and was surprised to find there was actually a distributor local to me for once. Black Sand Audio (http://blacksandaudio.com/ ). When I first looked at the website I was a little concerned as the only products listed for sale seem to be demo gear and there is no phone number to call them or an address listed on the site. I emailed them on Oct 16 and Mark from Black Sand replied right away. I replied back and then didn't hear anything for almost 2 weeks. On Oct 31 I was told that there had been an email issue that was causing gmail and hotmail addressed emails to get sent to the spam folder and he apologized. I thought that made sense and again replied shortly after receiving the email answering a question mark had for me. However its now been another 8 days without a reply.

I just emailed them again but I also looked at the address listed on GoldenEar for the company and it shows 2615 Jameson Crescent as the address and when I look at that address in Google Street view it seems to just be a house in the suburbs.

I guess what I am wondering from Sandy is how closely are these dealers/distributors verified. At this point I really don't have a ton of confidence in this supplier but I don't have anything else near me outside of maybe Calgary which would be an 8 hour drive away. I really wish GoldenEar would start selling directly as I would feel a lot more confident in ordering from them directly.

What do you guys think?

Update: Just after posting this I got a reply. Apparently there was some confusion on both our parts and they didn't think I was expecting a reply. So the only thing they have from goldenear at the moment is a pair of supersat 3's that I could borrow. I am still a little concerned that they don't have any stock at all and that the pair of 3's would have to be borrowed from "the owner" or something. I was looking for the soundbar and a pair of 3's initially for my upstairs but I am also interested in the triton 7's as a possible upgrade to my home theater in the basement. I am not sure how much a demo of the super sat 3's can really tell me about the rest of the lineup.
The Golden Ear dealer I visited here in Nashville said that Sandy Gross has been in there some over the years and came in to check how the Golden Ears were being demoed. They seem to me to be honest, and this seems to speak highly of the attention to detail of the company, from research to showroom.
post #2788 of 2789 Old 11-22-2014, 04:28 PM

So just another update. I actually ended up talking to the Black Sand Audio guys in person and they ended up lending me a pair of the supersat 3's (which was all they had on hand) to take home and try out. After talking to them some more and hearing back from Sandy about them I felt comfortable ordering from them and placed my order (which Sandy already confirmed got placed and that they are on their way). I get the feeling that the vast majority of Black Sand's business is installations in new homes as they are being built so I don't think they deal with individual customers all that often or people who are only interested in ordering speakers and not getting any help with theater design. They had apologized for all the communication issues we had and even gave me a pretty good deal to help make up for it.

I ended up getting the SuperCinema 3D Array X, 2 x SuperSat 3's and even ended up getting a ForceField 4. The original plan was to use my older SVS PC 20-39 upstairs, but somehow even without a wife I was still subject to the WAF/SAF. After reading Mark's review of the ForceField 5 and my brother mentioning he would like my old setup, including the SVS, I ended up just ordering a sub as well. The small size of the ForceField 4 should help with placement in my upstairs living room which is a secondary watching spot anyway. I'll post my thoughts when they come and I get a chance to get it all setup and play around with it.
post #2789 of 2789 Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
So just another update. I actually ended up talking to the Black Sand Audio guys in person and they ended up lending me a pair of the supersat 3's (which was all they had on hand) to take home and try out. After talking to them some more and hearing back from Sandy about them I felt comfortable ordering from them and placed my order (which Sandy already confirmed got placed and that they are on their way). I get the feeling that the vast majority of Black Sand's business is installations in new homes as they are being built so I don't think they deal with individual customers all that often or people who are only interested in ordering speakers and not getting any help with theater design. They had apologized for all the communication issues we had and even gave me a pretty good deal to help make up for it.

I ended up getting the SuperCinema 3D Array X, 2 x SuperSat 3's and even ended up getting a ForceField 4. The original plan was to use my older SVS PC 20-39 upstairs, but somehow even without a wife I was still subject to the WAF/SAF. After reading Mark's review of the ForceField 5 and my brother mentioning he would like my old setup, including the SVS, I ended up just ordering a sub as well. The small size of the ForceField 4 should help with placement in my upstairs living room which is a secondary watching spot anyway. I'll post my thoughts when they come and I get a chance to get it all setup and play around with it.
Congrats!
Reply Speakers