post #2821 of 2832 Old 12-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustolemite View Post
Okay, Ones vs Sevens
I am still on track to get a pair of Ones after Xmas but the more I have been thinking about it and reading I am wondering if I really need the Ones or can I be happy with the Sevens.

Right now I am using a HSU VTF3-MK4 12' Sub that is AWESOME and handles all my LFE. so my QUESTION is if you Disregard the Bass that the Ones can supply, how do they match up with the Sevens?
Are they that much better overall that they are worth the cost and not just for the added Bass.
I am staring to wonder if I would be just as happy with Sevens + my HSU.

My room is 20x19x8 and powering the system with Yammy CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA5, I know this would be plenty to make either the Ones or the Sevens sing.
Also currently using Paradigm 100s which are great and loud but just not the clarity of the Goldenears.

Please any responses would be great.
Thanks for reading
Your room is 3040 cubic feet. IMO with the excellent gear you have, the sevens would do well. I have a feeling you would be wishing you went with the ones down the road. The Emo XPA5 will make the one's sing oh so well. The ones will give you more head room, especially in that big of a room.

The bass that the one's are capable of will be a far better match to your HSU as well.

Hope this helps. SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2832 Old 12-22-2014, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
Your room is 3040 cubic feet. IMO with the excellent gear you have, the sevens would do well. I have a feeling you would be wishing you went with the ones down the road. The Emo XPA5 will make the one's sing oh so well. The ones will give you more head room, especially in that big of a room.

The bass that the one's are capable of will be a far better match to your HSU as well.

Hope this helps. SD
Thanks for your input Sonic, so you think the room is big enough?
Right now my Paradigms are about 90 inches apart and about 3 ft from the wall, this is where the Ones will be as well.
As for the Bass that was my one worry is how well the Ones bass can mix with my HSU. None of the reviews really go into detail about their 5.1 sound or when paired with a separate sub.
I would guess that setup for the ones when used with a Sub is set to Small with about an 80hz setting.

One other thing I see that you have the SCXL what did you have before that and how much better is it?

Thanks

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #2823 of 2832 Old 12-23-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Let the CES rumor mill begin. GoldenEar is teasing "Secret Projects" to be shown. Any ideas?

Literally the only area I can think of which hasn't seen anything new would be the arrival of headphones. Aside from that, the GoldenEar portfolio seems full and fresh.

post #2824 of 2832 Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New Sub at CES 2015

I just did a google search for GoldenEar CES 2015 and one of the top results was:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/press...t-at-ces-2015/

Looks like the page is pulled down now and there is no google cache of it but it looks like it might have been embargoed and went up early by accident judging by the date. Just judging by the URL it sounds like some new form of Sub though. Anyone have any ideas on what it might be?
post #2825 of 2832 Old 12-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Damn, I hate when press break our embargoes and throw carefully-made plans out the window. I see AV isn't much different than PC hardware. ;P

I love trying to guess the next big things, but hate when it ruins the overall company plan.

Sorry for bringing it up Sandy...hope you guys have a great show.
post #2826 of 2832 Old 12-24-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Right now my Paradigms are about 90 inches apart and about 3 ft from the wall, this is where the Ones will be as well.
As for the Bass that was my one worry is how well the Ones bass can mix with my HSU. None of the reviews really go into detail about their 5.1 sound or when paired with a separate sub.
I would guess that setup for the ones when used with a Sub is set to Small with about an 80hz setting.

One other thing I see that you have the SCXL what did you have before that and how much better is it?

Thanks
i run my 2's in a 2734 cubic foot room and you have 307 more cubic feet, so no problem! Your distance between speakers is almost 8 feet so that is good. 3 ffet from the wall is good as well as the ones will be able to breathe nicely.The T1's will need a bit of toe-in as recommended by GE. The set up for the ones will be the opposite. The ones will be set to full range or large and then the crossover can be set at 80hz or what sounds best to you. I run my 2's full range and crossover my PSA XS30 at 80 hz as that is what sounded best to me. I liked 40 hz but found that i wanted the PSA XS30 to handle 80hz and below. Now i get that i might as well run them as small, but with full range/large i get much better detail.

I have heard the one's in a 2 channel set up, using a yamaha 2 channel amp. With no LFE run to it and only using speaker wire, the bass was enough to move my pant leg.

I have had the 2's since 2011 and love them. The one's are outstanding. I paired my 2's with PSA XS30 sub, to get the lower octaves. I tried them with LFE and prefer them with just speaker wire. The PSA XS30 handles the down low stuff. So "meshing" with your HSU won't be a problem.

I have Audyssey XT32 and calibrated initially with it to get phase, distance etc.

Having talked to Sandy, as he was nice enough to call me at home, i turned off all of my Audyssey settings. None are on any source, especially for music.

I recently picked up a radio shack SPL meter on ebay. I was astounded as to how off some of my settings were.

My recommendation is to use the YPAO in your Yamaha and then, if you don't already have one, get an SPL meter and tweak the One's once you get them.

I am astonished as to how much better my sound is. I brought my SPL meter over to my dad's and calibrated his Paradigm/Goldenear set up and the change is night and day.

I had the SS50C as my center before that. The SCXL is in one word....decadent. It handles a 40 hz crossover easily. And my front stage has never been more alive and dynamic. best test for it was using a few cd's that i know well and love....Chris Cornell Songbook, specifically As Hope and Promise Fade and Wide Awake. Sade..... Soldier of Love and Tori Amos.... Winter

SD

Last edited by sonic debauchery; 12-24-2014 at 07:16 AM. Reason: additions
post #2827 of 2832 Old 12-24-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post
Let the CES rumor mill begin. GoldenEar is teasing "Secret Projects" to be shown. Any ideas?

Literally the only area I can think of which hasn't seen anything new would be the arrival of headphones. Aside from that, the GoldenEar portfolio seems full and fresh.

my guess is passive sound bar????
post #2828 of 2832 Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Thanks
Hi, I would strongly recommend that when used with a separate sub, the Ones be run as Large and Sub Yes. This will give you the benefit of your separate sub on LFE sound effects (although it would be quite a separate sub that would outdo the Ones in this regard) and preserve the quality of bass that the Ones produce and the excellent integration with the rest of the speaker for 2 channel music. If you were really a bass hound, you could engage double bass, super bass, bass plus etc, which would also send bass from 2 channel discs to your separate sub, but I don't recommend it. Happy Holidays, Sandy
post #2829 of 2832 Old 12-24-2014, 04:29 PM

Liked: 35
CES Surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
my guess is passive sound bar????
Hi, We do have a new passive soundbar, which just started shipping, the larger 3D Array XL. But this is not one of the CES surprises. Happy Holidays, Sandy
rustolemite likes this.
post #2830 of 2832 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, We do have a new passive soundbar, which just started shipping, the larger 3D Array XL. But this is not one of the CES surprises. Happy Holidays, Sandy
Happy Holidays to you to.
post #2831 of 2832 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I reckon it's an external amp. Moving into electronics. Done the speakers.

Product design by day, immersive systems by night
post #2832 of 2832 Old Today, 11:02 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenear tech View Post
Hi, I would strongly recommend that when used with a separate sub, the Ones be run as Large and Sub Yes. This will give you the benefit of your separate sub on LFE sound effects (although it would be quite a separate sub that would outdo the Ones in this regard) and preserve the quality of bass that the Ones produce and the excellent integration with the rest of the speaker for 2 channel music. If you were really a bass hound, you could engage double bass, super bass, bass plus etc, which would also send bass from 2 channel discs to your separate sub, but I don't recommend it. Happy Holidays, Sandy
Thank you

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page