GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread - Page 98 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes
post #2911 of 2940 Old 01-11-2015, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So I couldn't do a pm. Takes 15 posts but...

Here is my Unboxing video of my SuperSat 60s .
I've never done a video or not really into that but with the lack of media out I thought this would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2912 of 2940 Old 01-12-2015, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Icharis

Great video, enjoy!
post #2913 of 2940 Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 AM

So I have had my system up now for a few days and would like to share a bit of my experience so far.

1. Form and build
They look FANTASTIC!!!! They look great in scale with my TV (80") and furniture. I have a fairly large room that is still missing its central area rug but the speakers looks perfect. The finish on them was impeccable and just looks classy. I have received a positive comment from every person that has seen them. A few things to be mindful when looking at these speakers. In my case I replaced an on-wall banana plate from having the house prewired. The standard hole behind this type of place in the drywall is wider than the back of the speakers which then shows up as a hole when looking from the side. Nothing that cant be fixed but something to be aware of if you are in this situation. The inputs to the speaker are at the bottom of the casing so keep that in mind if you are pre-wiring and working out the locations since you really want your speaker wire to come out right at the connections for a clean wireless look. This brings me to my biggest gripe in that it feels that the center channel SuperSat gives you a feel that it's an afterthought. The SuperSat Centers using the same casing as a standard SuperSat with the casing rotated 90 degrees clockwise which means your cable is on the left side. If you try to place this on a media console and not on the wall this can be an issue. For my case you actually enter the family room from the left so you are greeted with an ugly cable. I would really like to see this placed in the center of the speaker. I am sure that due to the tight form factor of these speakers there is a reason to having it to the left nevertheless it would be nice to have it in the center. The small legs with rubber tips that come with the center are sturdy enough to securely hold the SuperSat60C correctly pointed at whatever angle you want assuming you are pointing parallel or slightly upward from the floor.

There is no mounting hardware included in the packaging so be prepare to have some anchors ready. You are unable to angle these speakers with an on wall mount which is just the nature of these types of speakers. You could get a mounting bracket but you would totally loose the aesthetics of the speakers

2. Initial Setup
I initially configured the speakers per the GE manual with crossover set at 100 for the 60s and the 3s set at 120. I adjusted all of the distances and levels including the Forcefield 5 to 75 db. I had to drop the center channel down to -6 DB as it really seems to be smack in your face even at a listening position of 15 feet away. Everything is being driven by my Integra 40.5

3. Initial Listening
After a good break in period I sat down with my wife to give the speakers a good run. Since one of GoldenEar’s claim is that a speaker that excels in music playback will do a great job for movies we started with a bit of music. Starting off with current number 1 hit of Bruno Mars and Mark Ronson we played Uptown Funk, followed by Selena Gomez The Heart Wants What It Wants, then Dave Matthews Ants Marching, and Marc Anthony Aguanile. My Wife and I both were a bit disheartened as we just expected more out of these speakers as when we auditioned them they had a lot more life in them. The sound was just flat. TV also sounded like it was coming out of a tin box. We watch quite a bit of TV and movies and the system was just performing at an underwhelming level. While these speakers are inexpensive compared to let’s say some Aerial Acoustics we know there was something wrong here. The biggest complaint in all of this was the center channel just didn’t seem to fit.
Going back to our AD they of course were not happy about our experience and wanted to make sure we are 100% happy with our purchase. We reviewed all of our configurations and description of what we had and we walked away with a set of new configurations and also a demo SuperSat XL.

4. New Setup
Per our AD we dropped our crossover settings from our initial value. The SuperSat 60s were dropped down to 70 and the SuperSat 3s were dropped to 100. The Sub was left the same and so were the speaker levels.
5. Second Listening
So we sat down and started playing around with the settings and I popped back in the same music. Sometimes the doctor knows best and the speakers really came to life. This newbie wouldn’t think that this crossover change would have that much of a dramatic change but I was wrong. Now were cooking with bacon on these speakers. The smack of the conga drums in Marc Anthony’s Aguanile came to life and his voice was full and with good presence. Everything really came together nicely. I played around with the receiver playback modes jumping between stereo 2.1, which really gave great imaging, to all of the other modes and settings these receivers have.
6. Center Channel
So here we are with the right settings and to be honest the center channel sounds much better but we have a SuperCenter XL sitting right next to me so I really wanted to make a comparison. We watch a lot of TV and Movies so the Center is going to be a work horse in this system.
I wanted to do some new comparisons and not really use the same material as before...
It’s Saturday and we have some football playoffs coming on so let’s give this a test run. Patriots and the Ravens are going at it so I played the first half with the SuperSat60C and the second half with the SuperCenter XL. While the SuperSat60C played acceptably well the SuperCenter XL had a much deeper warmth and spread to the sound. The commentator’s voice were just simply more natural and enveloping than the SuperSat60C. One complaint that I have from the SuperCenter 60C is that it never disappears when you are watching TV or a Movie, you always seem to know that it’s there which isn’t the case for the SuperCenter XL. Luckily we have a media cabinet which the design blends into and works well for us.
7. Overall Impression
These speakers really deliver the goods and are at a pretty good price point for what they deliver. I was surprised to see how much I had to deviate from the manual to get the full sound that I got but they are still within the ratings given in the specifications from GE so I feel that this should still be a safe setting to play at. I will be exchanging the SuperSat 60C for a SuperCenter XL but I would say that the SuperSat 60C is not a bad speaker just not as rich and full sounding as a SuperCenter XL. The on wall mounting was simple and they have pretty wide imaging capability. Just don’t be afraid to play with settings to get them sounding like you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0968(1).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	474377  
RPGMasta likes this.

Last edited by Icharis; 01-12-2015 at 12:11 PM.
post #2914 of 2940 Old 01-12-2015, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Icharis, what do you think about the FF5 sub?

I have been considering one.

Thanks
post #2915 of 2940 Old 01-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Icharis, what do you think about the FF5 sub?

I have been considering one.

Thanks
The Forcefield 5 has some excellent bass response. Could it go lower like some other subs on the market yes but its fantastic super tight bass. A good modern track with some pretty good bass is Iggy Azalea's Black Widow which only a quality subwoofer can play at any audible level and the Forcefield 5 is superb. To mix it with the Supersats I have it turned down pretty far maybe 9 oclock ish. Putting up to 12 oclock on the dial will just boom which is still sometimes fun when the wife isnt around. I played around with some of the classic movies with some serious bass such as Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring where there is a significant boom where Sauron is defeated. The Forcefield 5 just fills the room.

When dialed in with the other speakers it can truly disappear and become seamless with the SuperSats.

I cant imagine 2 of these :-) wow!!
post #2916 of 2940 Old 01-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had somewhat the same experience with the center channel (50c). It sounded somewhat flat out of the box with the default settings on my Denon. Initial test run, the audio was very quiet coming from the center channel from the movie i was watching.

After adjusting via Audessey, the 50c sounds fantastic. As noted above, definitely need to check your settings to make sure things are set correctly. I too made the adjustments noted in the GE manual before running and settling on the audessey settings.
post #2917 of 2940 Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There's also a very real break-in period where things will go in and out of tone-match. Mine lasted a week or two before it all settled down.

I'm now happy with my 60C center channel, but I'm coming around to the idea that it's not a very forgiving speaker. Blu-rays and well-produced scripted TV shows are fine, but (IMO) one slip-up and I can very easily hear the difference. Live TV can be particularly problematic. A few F-1 races I saw this season were amazing. Others were just "meh." The Today Show sounds like it's coming through a bigger version of the single speaker that was a part of my old 19" color TV from 1973.
post #2918 of 2940 Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 AM

I to moved from a SS50C to a SCXL and the difference is discernible. The SCXL has the articulation and bass that the SS50 can't match.

That being said, the SS50/60C's are designed for looking good with a flat screen and that they do.

Some on the forum have attached a FF sub to their 50/60C and say it makes them even better.
Steve609 likes this.
post #2919 of 2940 Old 01-13-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Icharis, thank you.
post #2920 of 2940 Old 01-13-2015, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post
I to moved from a SS50C to a SCXL and the difference is discernible. The SCXL has the articulation and bass that the SS50 can't match.

That being said, the SS50/60C's are designed for looking good with a flat screen and that they do.

Some on the forum have attached a FF sub to their 50/60C and say it makes them even better.

Sonic, couldn't agree more, if you have the space and budget, it's a no brainer!
post #2921 of 2940 Old 01-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve609 View Post
Sonic, couldn't agree more, if you have the space and budget, it's a no brainer!
Its not even a money issue, a supercenter XL is the same price as a supersat60c.
Im glad to hear peoples feedback as it really helps when I see responses on the GE forum it makes me feel im going crazy that I should be hearing something much better from the supersat60c.
post #2922 of 2940 Old 01-14-2015, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icharis View Post
Its not even a money issue, a supercenter XL is the same price as a supersat60c.
Im glad to hear peoples feedback as it really helps when I see responses on the GE forum it makes me feel im going crazy that I should be hearing something much better from the supersat60c.
One thing that i have found, with Sandy's help is to turn all audyssey settings off. Then calibrate to 75db with an spl for each speaker.

I did this and the sound is much better.

try it and see what you think?
Steve609 likes this.
post #2923 of 2940 Old 01-15-2015, 12:55 PM

Ive tried with the Audyssey settings and I found for TV on is good... Sitcoms etc. For music I found a much more natural sound with it off and I feel Audyssey made things way to bright.

My feeling is that the SuperSats really are impacted by the way they are mounted. My L/R are mounted on the wall and my SuperSat60C was sitting on my media cabinet. The SuperSat60C in no way sound the same as my L/R and I feel that it is the way they are mounted. This might be off base but that is what it seems like. I will say that the SuperSat60C horizontal dispersion is way wider than that of a SuperCenterXL. I was working on some shelving while having a football game on and I found that when I was 90 degrees to the SuperCenter XL I couldn't hear a peep of what was coming out and the SuperSat60C I could totally follow the commentators. This has alot to do with my listening area as it is very open and I do not have a lot of sound reflecting off a back wall (there is only a knee wall with a long couch) which is nice when it comes to sounds reflecting.
post #2924 of 2940 Old 01-16-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: 16 miles due east, then turn right where to road ends at.
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi Icharis - Congrats on your Super Sats and I enjoyed your video, so thanks for sharing.

I am a fan of GE and meet Sandy last year @ the 2014 Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. He's a very bright and intelligent person and I respect what he's accomplished with GE. I too plan to sell off all my B&Ws (soon / one-day) and join the GE family soon.

Until then enjoy them SS's!!

Last edited by Shift; 01-16-2015 at 03:40 PM.
post #2925 of 2940 Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM

saw this on youtube, thought i would share...........

Steve609 likes this.
post #2926 of 2940 Old 01-20-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can someone who has heard both the Triton 2 and Triton 5 - compare the pros/cons (other than cost)?
thx
post #2927 of 2940 Old 01-20-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
What I don't understand (from a prospective new buyer) is the Triton Three was msrp of 999/ea and now the Triton 5 is announced at that price and they adjusted the price of the Three to 1099 now.

I think from a marketing standpoint would of been better to have the Three at 1099/ea and offer the Five at 899/ea and lowered the Seven to 599/ea

One - $2500
Two - $1499
Three - $999
Five - $749
Seven - $499

I just don't understand they had a 4 speaker lineup on their floor standing and now they add (to me) another entry style speaker. If you want to attract more buyers and build a stronger market you slam your bottom end with affordability and let them get a taste of what they have to offer.

I know many people that would buy the sevens based on cost alone.... then a few years down the road maybe they make more money or save up and then they would want the three's or whatever.

I just don't get why the Five is taking the 999 spot and they moved the three to 1099. I was going to buy a pair of the Three's and now I have to dish out $500 more (for a set of 5)... what kinda crap is that all because they release a lesser model.

I'd love to hear some insight into their logic. The three just magically didn't get 10% better and if it's due to inflation then why didn't the other models jump too?
dwgncat likes this.
post #2928 of 2940 Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Talley View Post
What I don't understand (from a prospective new buyer) is the Triton Three was msrp of 999/ea and now the Triton 5 is announced at that price and they adjusted the price of the Three to 1099 now.

I think from a marketing standpoint would of been better to have the Three at 1099/ea and offer the Five at 899/ea and lowered the Seven to 599/ea

One - $2500
Two - $1499
Three - $999
Five - $749
Seven - $499

I just don't understand they had a 4 speaker lineup on their floor standing and now they add (to me) another entry style speaker. If you want to attract more buyers and build a stronger market you slam your bottom end with affordability and let them get a taste of what they have to offer.

I know many people that would buy the sevens based on cost alone.... then a few years down the road maybe they make more money or save up and then they would want the three's or whatever.

I just don't get why the Five is taking the 999 spot and they moved the three to 1099. I was going to buy a pair of the Three's and now I have to dish out $500 more (for a set of 5)... what kinda crap is that all because they release a lesser model.

I'd love to hear some insight into their logic. The three just magically didn't get 10% better and if it's due to inflation then why didn't the other models jump too?
Sorry I realized I had different pricing in there. This is what I would of thought of been great pricing:

One - $2500
Two - $1499
Three - $999
Five - $749
Seven - $499
post #2929 of 2940 Old 01-20-2015, 04:52 PM

The point is well made, but there definitely is a market for fully passive towers. A number of folks around here insist subwoofer placement MUST be independent of mains, and this speaker would be aimed right between their eyes.

Dropping the seven to $500 would make it a screaming good deal, but I'm not sure they've paid off the R&D yet, and that might eat into the potential sales of the five.

IMO, as always. Enjoy yours.
RPGMasta likes this.
post #2930 of 2940 Old 01-21-2015, 11:23 AM

I've seen myself that a number of people recommend subwoofer placement to be different than speaker.

Point taken.
post #2931 of 2940 Old 01-22-2015, 01:19 PM

Subs by the speakers seems to be more relevant when you go towards having multiple subs. I have seen some articles and recommendations that in the situation of running something like a X.2 setup you would want them near your speakers.
post #2932 of 2940 Old 01-22-2015, 01:32 PM

BTW was doing some more listening with the SuperSat 60s in stereo and the ForceField 5.
Recommend to try out Naturally 7 Wall of Sound. Sounded amazing and really shows of good imaging by the SuperSats
post #2933 of 2940 Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My HSU sub is to the right of my seating position against a wall about 4 feet away. I can't imagine it being anywhere else, I get the bass I want when listening to music and with Movies/TV it just floats down to fill the room. Everyone who sits across from it has no idea where the bass is coming from.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
post #2934 of 2940 Old 01-22-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Would the SS60 for LCR (maybe SCXL for center) fill my room size 16x20 size? I am having a room built (16x20 with 8ft ceiling before framing).

I watch movies and listen to Bluray concerts.

The sub is a jl f113. The screen is a 120" electric. I am looking for a clean setup.

Thanks,
TT
post #2935 of 2940 Old 01-22-2015, 05:14 PM

The 60s are very capable speakers. Give them a listen, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
post #2936 of 2940 Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 PM

So my main room is 23 x 18 with two story ceiling + a large breakfast area and then a large kitchen all in a row the supersat 60s fill the entire space up. With a forcefield 5 they are beasts!!! For music just having it in 2.1 is fantastic when you get everything going for a movie holy cow!

No exaggeration when I say it.

Here is a picture of my 80 inch tv, the main wall it sits on is 16 feet to give you an idea of scale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	496298  
post #2937 of 2940 Old 01-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can't wait to start reading the reviews on the 5 and hear them at my local dealer. I was trying to convince my girlfriend that we need the Triton 5s, but it's going to be an uphill battle. We shall see who prevails.
post #2938 of 2940 Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read on Digital trends i believe where the person thought the 5's were actually the T1's and commented that the bass seemed a little weaker and was wondering why so if the sound so close otherwise I read earlier in the thread where some thought a just as good but less expensive way to go would be a pair of T5's with the new subersub XXL for a grand cheaper than a pair of T1's. I am wondering however depending on the output of the new XXL if for a grand more you are getting the addition of another XXL but just being built into the T1's thereby making the T1's a better "bargain"? Again this is if the output is about the same. If the XXL has more output (a significant amount) than what the T1 has built in and the SQ of the T5 is about the same as the T1 then the supersub XXL/T5 combo for the grand less would be better.
post #2939 of 2940 Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Triton Five and Speaker Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Talley View Post

One - $2500
Two - $1499
Three - $999
Five - $749
Seven - $499

Hi, I appreciate your comments. As has been pointed out, some listeners prefer having separate subs, or perhaps already own a separate sub. We feel that there are certainly performance advantages to building the subs into the speakers, and that is why Don Givogue and I introduced the concept back in 1995. The advantages include much better integration of the sub with the rest of the system, which is especially important with music. Some thought the main reason that we did it was to get the extra sub box, or boxes, out of the room. This is definitely a side benefit, but not the raison d'être. Be that as it may, we wanted to provide more flexibility and choice within our offerings, so we introduced the Seven, two years ago, which has been very successful, and now the Five. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. In terms of pricing: as you know, all of our speakers are known for offering spectacular value. The Triton Three has always had a rather inordinately high cost of manufacture, relative to what we sell it for. We felt that, with the introduction of the Five, now was a good time to raise the price a little. I think that if you want Triton Threes, if you act quickly you may be able to get them at the old price. All the Best, Sandy
thduke likes this.
post #2940 of 2940 Unread Today, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking to trade for 3d soundbar and superstats, I have definitive bp 2002 TL in cherry, cs 8080 hd center and studio 350's in cherry all are in as new condition and are set up for audition, only reason is I am moving to a condo and have no room for my current set up, I live in Maryland 21220, if interested pm or call my cell 410 698 2154, thanks Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page