AVS Forum banner

GoldenEar Technologies Anticipation Thread

729K views 6K replies 686 participants last post by  Mccglastron1972 
#1 ·
I didn't see a post about this yet. A new speaker company named GoldenEar is set to launch any day now. Sounds interesting.

http://bitstream.soundandvisionmag.c...echnology.html

"One of the best things about big trade shows like CES is running into old friends. I was glad to get the chance to catch up with Definitive Technology founder Sandy Gross, who recently parted ways with the company that he founded in 1990 (and sold to Directed Electronics in 2004).

Sandy is a purposeful guy, so his presence in Las Vegas is an obvious indicator that something big is in the works. As it turns out, that something is a new company: GoldenEar Technology. Sandy's longtime engineering partner and co-Def Tech founder Don Givogue is onboard with the new company, which means that we'll likely be seeing exciting stuff from them in the near future. No details are available to share yet, but given this duo's history of turning out high-performance, high-value speakers, I'd lay odds that something along those lines is in the works. Al Griffin"

http://blog.hometheatermag.com/ces20..._you_but_then/

Yeah, it's one of those kinds of things. We're sworn to secrecy (hopefully not too much longer), but we were one of the few who were given a glimpse at a new speaker line from a brand new company called GoldenEar Technology. New companies come into existence all the time, of course, but what makes this one so special is the fact that it's being started by Sandy Gross and Don Givogue, two of the founders of one of our (and many, many other' people's - if all of the stellar reviews and impressive sales numbers are anything to go by) favorite speaker brands, Definitive Technology. Gross was also one of the founders of another speaker brand you might have heard of: Polk. So when we heard Sandy Gross was working on a new speaker, our ears started to tingle (and not just from being at CES for several days). We can't tell you many of the details, but what we saw was elegant, affordable, and has all the makings of another blockbuster line of gear. To use a Vegas analogy, it's the kind of thing you might get if Frank Sinatra and Elvis had a love child. (Yeah, I know it's not biologically possible, but this is Vegas, after all...)

See less See more
#5,438 ·
I have read quite a few reviews of the Tritons that say their tweeter "runs hot"...

I've not seen reviews mention this. Citation? (Not meant as a dig, I'm genuinely interested)

I moved to GE from a set of Boston Acoustics VR3s from the early 00's. Those were GENUINELY bright. I spent more than ten years trying to tame them. Now that I've experienced what an AMT tweeter is capable of, I doubt I'll ever go back to domes.

Go take a listen, see what you think.

#5,440 ·
Golden Ear Invisa SPS ($1000 each) inwall set up with HTR7000 ($500 each) in the ceiling was superb. The new BRX bookshelf speaker ($1400/pair) where excellent as well. Fantastic mid range and imaging. Deep soundstage.

Another foot not is that a 10% price increase will become effective 10/1/19. Get your orders into your dealer prior to save the money!

Will spend more time in the sound room maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Overall another home run by Sandy and his staff.

#5,441 ·
Golden Ear Invisa SPS ($1000 each) inwall set up with HTR7000 ($500 each) in the ceiling was superb. The new BRX bookshelf speaker ($1400/pair) where excellent as well. Fantastic mid range and imaging. Deep soundstage.

Another foot not is that a 10% price increase will become effective 10/1/19. Get your orders into your dealer prior to save the money!

Will spend more time in the sound room maybe tomorrow or Saturday.

Overall another home run by Sandy and his staff.

Thanks for the update. How do you think a BRX bookshelf speaker would work as a center channel? Thinking about doing three of them behind my projector screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5,457 ·
Wireless speakers (really wireless)

I have a pair of Triton 2's I've had since 2011. Love them, and have no intention of changing them soon. I've just retired to Santa Fe and I've been setting up my system, but I've run into a dilemma. The Tritons are setup ok, but the locations for the surround speakers have no way of running the speaker cables in the walls or ceiling (the house being classic Santa Fe adobe design), and there is no 110 VAC in their location either.

I would like to connect the surround outputs from my receiver to a Wifi device and hence over the ether to my surrounds which have an amplifier to power them. I'd like the speakers to be in-wall GoldenEars, with a rechargeable battery hidden in the wall. Does such a Wifi system exist? I have not been able to identify one. I don't want to go the Sonos route, I want to do it with GoldenEars, but be totally wireless.

bp

#5,461 ·
Most if not all speakers have impedance curves from 2 to as high as 16 ohms or higher. Lower frequency is where the dip occurs and high frequency is the where the rise occurs. Its the nominal impedance of the speaker that is typically published in most marketing material.

It appears based on test graphs from soundstage.com the Impedance magnitude variation on the T1r is about 3 ohms from 300hz - 450hz.

IIRC you have a thread comparing or wanting comments of the T1r vs the KEF R11. The same website using the same graph shows the KEF lives in the 4 ohm area in most of the audio band. So for that speaker you will need an amp the can live and perform at 4 ohms most all the time. Lets take a look at different speaker the Revel Ultima Salon2. That speaker shows a rises between 1.5khz and 2.5khz as high as 14 ohms (based on my eye site). From an amps perspective you loose power the higher the impedance.

This same variant is also true in SPL ratings. Of course it varies at distance (normally published for 1 meter). However it also varies by frequency and by listening angle both vertical and horizontal. Like your concern about SPL earlier the average SPL on the T1r is just a smidge under 90dB which in hi fi and home theater is considered an efficient speaker.

A better question to ask is what amp or AVR are you planning to use?

#5,462 ·
A better question to ask is what amp or AVR are you planning to use?

I have narrowed it down (so far) to either a: Marantz 7705 pre-pro and 7055 amp combo - or the Marantz 8012/8014 AVR; or a Yamaha 5200 pre-pro and 5200 amp combo - or the Yamaha 3080/3090 AVR

I have also narrowed (so far) my speaker choice down to either the: Triton One.R; or Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL X + Dynamo sub.

I listened to the KEF R11 and it was just way too laid back and congested sounding - I was actually surprised at how "bad" (to me) it sounded.

#5,463 · (Edited)
Also, if I go the Yamaha pre-pro/amp route - the new 5200 amp allows you to bridge the front two speakers.

So the two front speakers will get 200 Watts vs. the normal 150 Watts unbridged.

But I have been told that bridging a speaker that goes down to 2-ohms is a bad idea.

I like everything in my system to match - speakers, audio, etc. :p

#5,464 ·
Not sure about the present day Martin Logan but back in the day I was one of the first Summit owners on the east coast after meeting Gayle Saunders (Sanders?) at CES in 2006 IIRC. ML stats can get rather low too. However I have neen seen any graph of the newer models.

I'd say with that equipment you should be fine however I would contact you dealer to arrange a conference call with the manufacturer. I know some Marantz and Yamaha dealers that could possibly arrange this perhaps.

Good luck.

#5,467 ·
If I was a betting man I would say yes - given from all of the accolades GoldenEar is getting for its new great looking speakers - the Reference and One.R

But then again, they came out with a new "matching" (not in looks) center channel for the Reference speakers and dropped the ball and gave it a sock exterior.

So... :confused:

#5,473 · (Edited)
Yeah, but I don't like the sock (as many don't) - GoldenEar really dropped the ball with that one.

Making a, by all accounts, beautiful piano gloss black Reference speaker, and now One.R - but then sticking to the old sock look for the center speaker that is supposed to match them.

GoldenEar picked up a lot of people who dismissed their speakers because of the sock look - when they went with the piano gloss black look for the Reference, and now One.R.

Maybe, a big maybe, if it was for a dedicated theater room the center sock would be OK - but this is for a living room.

No room pics at the moment - I tend to move around quite a bit - for my job - thus not wanting to put the speakers in the walls/ceilings, etc.

#5,474 ·
Upon reading random threads on GoldenEar's own forums, it seems as though the "sock" material contributes to the dampening of the speakers. They have been designed with this dampening in mind. So even if you prefer the unfinished look without the sock, technically, you'd be running the speaker outside of its intended specifications, so to speak. I'm not saying it would sound bad, all I'm saying is that Sandy and his team did design the speakers to have that cloth over the drivers, and they've been tuned as such.

Looking at the Triton One.R and Reference, it's clear that the cloth should absolutely be present over the drivers. If you apply the same logic to the center channel speakers, there's not a whole lot of surface area even available for a non-sock look. With drivers on both the front and the top, it only really leaves the sides open for a finished appearance. At that point, we're talking such a small surface area that it almost doesn't even matter.

My conclusion is this: the design of the Triton and SuperCenter series are unique and have a unique tradeoff in order to hit the level of value. On one hand, they're able to provide a very slim profile, which is especially advantageous with the center channel; you're able to get it closer to the display without occlusion. Another interesting point is that since there's cloth on the top of the center channel, you won't get a reflection from your display, so again, placement flexibility becomes even better. Why this isn't spun into a positive in GoldenEar's marketing material is beyond me, but I do feel like there's some added benefit behind this.

So after being as open minded as I can possibly be about the sock-look, I have two constructive criticisms for Sandy and his team: trickle down the current design of the Triton One.R to the rest of the powered Triton lineup, plus make all of the cloth on all of the speakers (Triton, SuperCenter, and others) easily removable for cleaning and replacement as needed. Dust and animal hair are neither wife nor hygiene approved, and constant cleaning will wear them out, so we need to be able to cheaply replace the cloth as needed.

:)