VMPS RM50 speakers at CES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-11-2010, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did anyone hear the new VMPS RM50 speakers at CES? I would like to know if it was a good demo to see if these speakers are worthwhile considering.

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/news.htm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76191.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli View Post

Did anyone hear the new VMPS RM50 speakers at CES? I would like to know if it was a good demo to see if these speakers are worthwhile considering.

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/news.htm

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76191.0

Hi Peter,

I was there as a VMPS dealer so my comments might be a bit biased. However, let me know if you need info about the speaker, which in my estimation did exactly what it was designed to do.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #3 of 14 Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi John,
The VMPS RM50 seem like a real interesting design. I don't think I've ever seen a dynamic, bipole ribbon speaker that's not a panel speaker. It seems to have the attributes of a Magnepan panel, with the slam of a dynamic speaker. Although, the finish work on the prototype at CES looks a little rough in pictures

When will it be available?

Will VMPS offer a matching center and surround speakers?

Does it have to be biamped?

How will the electronic crossover work for someone with receiver, or with Audyssey equalization?
post #4 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi John,
The VMPS RM50 seem like a real interesting design. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a dynamic, bipole ribbon speaker that’s not a panel speaker. It seems to have the attributes of a Magnepan panel, with the slam of a dynamic speaker. Although, the finish work on the prototype at CES looks a little rough in pictures…

When will it be available?

Will VMPS offer a matching center and surround speakers?

Does it have to be biamped?

How will the electronic crossover work for someone with receiver, or with Audyssey equalization?

The RM50 Dual Line Source Bipole is a very unique design in that it packs a lot of flexibility and adjustability into a single pair of speakers.

The rear array can be ordered with its own separate set of binding posts so that it can be amped and controlled separately. This means one can increase or decrease the participation of the second pole to adjust for room, placement and preference.

Additionally, if it proves beneficial in you room, the rear leads can be reversed and you can then operate the speaker in a controlled "DIPOLE" configuration.

The production run of the speaker should be available in 6 weeks.

The current VMPS speakers will match the sonic signature of the RM50 and can be used as CENTER channels (It is really not a good idea in most cases to use a bipole or dipole as a center)

With the Digital Outboard X-Over (D-OXO) it requires biamping. It can be special ordered with an Analog Outboard X-Over (A-OXO) where the input binding posts can be strapped/jumpered, as in any dual binding post speaker, for single amp operation.

Using an AVR, you would run the L&R Mains preamp outputs to the D-OXO (electronic crossover) and then biamp on the other side (outputs of the D-OXO).

The electronic equalization will not impede nor negatively impact the use of the Audyssey equalization system.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

The RM50 Dual Line Source Bipole is a very unique design in that it packs a lot of flexibility and adjustability into a single pair of speakers.

The rear array can be ordered with its own separate set of binding posts so that it can be amped and controlled separately. This means one can increase or decrease the participation of the second pole to adjust for room, placement and preference.

Additionally, if it proves beneficial in you room, the rear leads can be reversed and you can then operate the speaker in a controlled "DIPOLE" configuration.

The production run of the speaker should be available in 6 weeks.

The current VMPS speakers will match the sonic signature of the RM50 and can be used as CENTER channels (It is really not a good idea in most cases to use a bipole or dipole as a center)

With the Digital Outboard X-Over (D-OXO) it requires biamping. It can be special ordered with an Analog Outboard X-Over (A-OXO) where the input binding posts can be strapped/jumpered, as in any dual binding post speaker, for single amp operation.

Using an AVR, you would run the L&R Mains preamp outputs to the D-OXO (electronic crossover) and then biamp on the other side (outputs of the D-OXO).

The electronic equalization will not impede nor negatively impact the use of the Audyssey equalization system.

How much better does the Digital Outboard X-Over (D-OXO) sound compared to the Analog Outboard X-Over (A-OXO)? Having to purchase additional channels of amplification to biamp means additional expense. Does the Digital Outboard X-Over (D-OXO) sound that much better?

What finishes will be offered?
post #6 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How much better does the Digital Outboard X-Over (D-OXO) sound compared to the Analog Outboard X-Over (A-OXO)? Having to purchase additional channels of amplification to biamp means additional expense. Does the Digital Outboard X-Over (D-OXO) sound that much better?

What finishes will be offered?

For HT use, the ANALOG crossover is fine and many might argue "analog" is better sounding.

The D-OXO (digital) does require biamping but since the amps don't have to push electrons through the passive analog parts in the speaker, lower power (less expensive) amps can be employed. Even tube amps can be used.

Standard finishes are: Light Oak, Dark Oak, and Satin Black

Virtually any upgraded veneer can be ordered (priced depending on the veneer desired)

Or the Speaker can be Painted any "automotive" paint selected for $700 a pair.

They take approx 4-6 weeks to build, burn in, test, tune and ship.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #7 of 14 Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioforce View Post

For HT use, the ANALOG crossover is fine and many might argue "analog" is better sounding.

The D-OXO (digital) does require biamping but since the amps don't have to push electrons through the passive analog parts in the speaker, lower power (less expensive) amps can be employed. Even tube amps can be used.

Standard finishes are: Light Oak, Dark Oak, and Satin Black

Virtually any upgraded veneer can be ordered (priced depending on the veneer desired)

Or the Speaker can be Painted any "automotive" paint selected for $700 a pair.

They take approx 4-6 weeks to build, burn in, test, tune and ship.

When will the VMPS website be updated with all the VMPS RM50 information?
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When will the VMPS website be updated with all the VMPS RM50 information?

The website is taken care of by the European Distributor, and will likely be in a short while, although photos are scarce and the production models will not be available for a few weeks.

You can also get info from the VMPS Forum

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #9 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Sad to hear the news that Brian Chenny of VMPS passed away last night.

The company had closed last month due to his illness, but I thought he would recover after surgery and relax in retirement.

Sanjay
post #10 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Very sad indeed.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #11 of 14 Old 12-07-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Very sad, and I had no idea that the company closed. RIP Brian.

The first GTG I went to had a VMPS monitor that was excellent. I met John (bioforce) there.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #12 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks everyone for your sentiments.

For more information you can visit the VMPS Forum

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
post #13 of 14 Old 12-08-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
so sad to hear, i met brian a few times at his shop and had a pair of his speakers back in the mid 90's, RIP. he was a very nice man...
post #14 of 14 Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 376
It's sad news. RIP, Brian.

My VMPS Ribbon FF1s are now orphans. frown.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page