Anyone still running Infinity Speakers like me? - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 70Likes

post #271 of 330 Old 02-03-2017, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 727
I nabbed the IL40s! It turned into an all-day affair after traffic and my navigation system's inexplicable decision to take me on a tour of Tampa International's cargo terminal, but I prevailed and brought home two beautiful IL40s (along with an IL100S subwoofer and a CC3 center channel that the guy selling the IL40s wanted to sell altogether as one package, I don't really have a need for the sub or the old center, but for $200 for the lot the deal was right just for the towers).

I just managed to get them hooked up tonight, and they're much bigger in my space than I imagined they'd be. I may have to rejigger my layout. Still, I'm very impressed thus far, they're both working perfectly as far as I can tell. The sound is much 'bigger' than my previous front pair of MS1-II sats.

Next up is going to be snagging an IL36C.

I'm still on the fence about pulling the trigger on the Intermezzo 4.1s I'm looking at. I know the midwoofers on those suffer from magnet failure, and according to the seller both of the midranges on the set have been repaired (though not replaced). I'm waiting to hear back from the seller about something in one of the photos that concerns me a bit (a potential scratch or crease in a woofer, though it could be a reflection from the flash used to take the photos). I'm not sure if I have room for them in the HT room, but I could set up a 2-channel place for them in the living room, or I could put them in the bedroom. Would y'all jump on a set for roughly $1,100 including shipping?
GLBright and 49Merc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 330 Old 02-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I nabbed the IL40s! It turned into an all-day affair after traffic and my navigation system's inexplicable decision to take me on a tour of Tampa International's cargo terminal, but I prevailed and brought home two beautiful IL40s (along with an IL100S subwoofer and a CC3 center channel that the guy selling the IL40s wanted to sell altogether as one package, I don't really have a need for the sub or the old center, but for $200 for the lot the deal was right just for the towers).

I just managed to get them hooked up tonight, and they're much bigger in my space than I imagined they'd be. I may have to rejigger my layout. Still, I'm very impressed thus far, they're both working perfectly as far as I can tell. The sound is much 'bigger' than my previous front pair of MS1-II sats.

Next up is going to be snagging an IL36C.

I'm still on the fence about pulling the trigger on the Intermezzo 4.1s I'm looking at. I know the midwoofers on those suffer from magnet failure, and according to the seller both of the midranges on the set have been repaired (though not replaced). I'm waiting to hear back from the seller about something in one of the photos that concerns me a bit (a potential scratch or crease in a woofer, though it could be a reflection from the flash used to take the photos). I'm not sure if I have room for them in the HT room, but I could set up a 2-channel place for them in the living room, or I could put them in the bedroom. Would y'all jump on a set for roughly $1,100 including shipping?
The Infinity IL 36 is one of the best center channels, and so much better then the Infinity CC 3, the difference is shocking.

I have personally never heard an Infinity Intermezzo 4.1 so I really can not say if they are worth that kind of money or not.
post #273 of 330 Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
The Infinity IL 36 is one of the best center channels, and so much better then the Infinity CC 3, the difference is shocking.

I have personally never heard an Infinity Intermezzo 4.1 so I really can not say if they are worth that kind of money or not.
I'm using the Infinity Modulus MCC1-II center channel now, it's a 2-way MTM with 2 4" CMMD drivers and one CMMD tweeter. Dialogue clarity has been an issue, so I'm thinking the 3-way il36C should be an improvement.
Ka7niq likes this.

post #274 of 330 Old 02-04-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I'm using the Infinity Modulus MCC1-II center channel now, it's a 2-way MTM with 2 4" CMMD drivers and one CMMD tweeter. Dialogue clarity has been an issue, so I'm thinking the 3-way il36C should be an improvement.
IMHO, the Infinity IL 36 is one of the stars of the IL or Interlude line. Infinity spent a lot of time on it, and it shows. Remember, your entire system more of less sounds like your center channel, because it is the speaker that is always playing.
The IL 36 sounds "expensive", and is also visually impressive. It also has the unusual ability to sound great, even when sitting on the floor, angled up toward the listener. Most centers would get all chesty sounding down on the floor. I have a B&W Center that is ruined when it is near the floor.
post #275 of 330 Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Opinions please. I am going to attempt to locally sell my Infinity Alpha Series 50's, 20's, 10's and 37c. All are 2004 era, purchase new. All have been refinished, some repaired. Wear is easily visible. Heavily used on a daily basis until they were put in storage last year. I think the tweeters may be bad in the 50's and 20's. Not looking to make a large amount. Ideas of value please.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #276 of 330 Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Picked up a pair of kappa 5.1's as well as two cs video center channel speakers this evening.

Already have a pair of kappa video centers, another pair of kappa 5.1's and two pairs of kappa 8.1's

Trying to collect enough to run 5.something in the bedroom and 5.2 - 9.2 in the front room.

Someday I would like to try the kappa 9.1 or the renaissance 90 or something in the IRS line. Found the CS video and 5.1 on the local Craigslist, new foam on all speakers
post #277 of 330 Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I pulled the trigger on an IL36C off of Ebay, now I need to find a stand for it. My TV stand is 18" tall, and I have a couple of extra inches for the TV feet, but I really need to keep the total height of stand+speaker under 20" (maybe 21" at the extreme) and the IL36C is apparently 9" tall.

The shortest center channel stands I seem to be able to find are 13" tall, which is is going to just push it over the edge and block the IR receiver on the TV. Anyone know of any brands of center channel stands that are maybe 10" tall or so? Something that angles up a bit would be nice to since I'm going to have to place it so low.
GLBright likes this.
post #278 of 330 Old 02-06-2017, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Samsung has purchased Harman Karden and its subsidies.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

post #279 of 330 Old 02-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
Samsung has purchased Harman Karden and its subsidies.
Shouldn't matter much as far as the Infinity brand is concerned. Barring some unforeseen miracle, it seems to be dead. But we can still enjoy the fruits of their past labors. Here's my IL60s and IL36c in our family room. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0307 cropped.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1951897
49Merc likes this.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,LG PF1500,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222,Pioneer PL-3000 TT,YamahaDV-S586 player,Large Advents (1972)
post #280 of 330 Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
Shouldn't matter much as far as the Infinity brand is concerned. Barring some unforeseen miracle, it seems to be dead. But we can still enjoy the fruits of their past labors. Here's my IL60s and IL36c in our family room. Attachment 1951897
JBL should prosper. I totally agree that Infinity will most likely disappear.

post #281 of 330 Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have pair of Infinity Reference 2000.2 bookshelf speakers sitting in a closet, along with a CC1 center channel. I really have no idea how they compare to the average bookshelf speakers of today. Does anybody know how they would compare to something like the SVS Prime bookshelves?
49Merc likes this.
post #282 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My IL36C came in last night, and it's great, absolutely huge improvement in vocal quality and clarity vs my old Modulus 2-way center. I'm waiting on a proper stand to come in, so it's mounted a bit low right now, but even with sub-optimum placement it's provided the missing link in my front stage between my newly added IL40s.

I also decided to jump on the Intermezzo 4.1s I saw for sale, and those should be picked up by the shipping company on Monday and arrive here at some point a week or two after.

At this point I probably need to put a hold on my speaker-buying spree, I'm not even sure what I'm going to do with the Intermezzos. I have a couple of options.

1. I could set them up as a dedicated 2-channel listening solution, since my HT setup has some unfortunate placement restrictions due to layout and since they're full-range speakers it would be nice to hear what they can do set up in the proper equilateral triangle setup around a sweet spot. I'd have to get an amp to drive them, but since the bass sections are already powered I'm thinking I wouldn't need a ton of power to drive the top sections.

2. I could remove the newly-installed IL40s and replace them with the Intermezzo 4.1s and move the IL40s into the bedroom for music there. I do have an Interlude IL100S 10" subwoofer that came free with the IL40s, so I could use that paired up with them to add some extra bottom end in the bedroom. The powered subs in the Intermezzos could be nice in the HT room. I have a single ported Infinity MSW-II 12" ported powered sub there right now (it's the sub that came with the Modulus system, and it's really a great unit, tons of powerful clean bass) but the sub-sections in the Intermezzos might best it, or I could run all three at once, but the Intermezzo subs are sealed, and I think I heard somewhere that you shouldn't mix sealed and ported subs, is there any truth to that?

I'm guessing the IL36C should blend equally well with the IL40s or the Intermezzo 4.1s, the Intermezzo center channel is almost impossible to find.
49Merc likes this.
post #283 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
So I pulled the trigger on an IL36C off of Ebay, now I need to find a stand for it. My TV stand is 18" tall, and I have a couple of extra inches for the TV feet, but I really need to keep the total height of stand+speaker under 20" (maybe 21" at the extreme) and the IL36C is apparently 9" tall.

The shortest center channel stands I seem to be able to find are 13" tall, which is is going to just push it over the edge and block the IR receiver on the TV. Anyone know of any brands of center channel stands that are maybe 10" tall or so? Something that angles up a bit would be nice to since I'm going to have to place it so low.
I have the Mitsubishi 82 inch DLP HDTV and it sits on the bench of a picnic table I stained black.
I have a tile floor, and I simply set the IL 36 right on the floor under the TV, with rubber feet that angle the speaker sort of up at the viewing area. It works great down there, and does not get boomy or chesty sounding from the floor reinforcement.
I also have a B&W Center channel as well, but it sounds like **** down on the floor.
49Merc likes this.
post #284 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the Mitsubishi 82 inch DLP HDTV and it sits on the bench of a picnic table I stained black.
I have a tile floor, and I simply set the IL 36 right on the floor under the TV, with rubber feet that angle the speaker sort of up at the viewing area. It works great down there, and does not get boomy or chesty sounding from the floor reinforcement.
I also have a B&W Center channel as well, but it sounds like **** down on the floor.
I have it set up on a cheap desktop monitor-riser from Best Buy right now combined with a doohickey that came with the IL40s, IL100S, and CC3 from my Craigslist purchase last week. It's an angled metal thing with rubber pads on the top and bottom, you set it on a base and the speaker on top of it and it angles the speaker upwards. It works for right now, but the speaker is firing directly at my coffee table right now, so I'd like to raise it up.

I think I'm going with this unit:

It may be an inch too tall, but it's the best I've found, and I think with the angle and pulling it forward a smidge I can set it up so my TV's remote sensor won't be blocked.

The IL36C is huge, and the top of that is a bit small, but I figure with rubber things on top it should grip it well, and it looks sturdy.
49Merc likes this.
post #285 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I really need a second room for audio equipment. I have now purchased a set of beautiful Definitive BP-2000s, and the poor Overtures may end up going back to surround left and right duty (they had this position before, when I was running my JBL L7 as my mains). I simply cannot bear to sell them, because they sound great and I have always ended up going back to them.
49Merc likes this.

OLED65C6P; P65: returned; 65" KS9000: sold; 65" KS8000: exchanged; 60" M-60: sold; 60" JS7000: returned
Infinity Overture 3 (surround L/R)
Definitive BP-2000 and CLR 3000 (front and center)
Denon AVR-2307ci
SVS PB-2000
post #286 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
I have it set up on a cheap desktop monitor-riser from Best Buy right now combined with a doohickey that came with the IL40s, IL100S, and CC3 from my Craigslist purchase last week. It's an angled metal thing with rubber pads on the top and bottom, you set it on a base and the speaker on top of it and it angles the speaker upwards. It works for right now, but the speaker is firing directly at my coffee table right now, so I'd like to raise it up.

I think I'm going with this unit:

It may be an inch too tall, but it's the best I've found, and I think with the angle and pulling it forward a smidge I can set it up so my TV's remote sensor won't be blocked.

The IL36C is huge, and the top of that is a bit small, but I figure with rubber things on top it should grip it well, and it looks sturdy.
It should be fine, the IL 36 has excellent vertical as well as horizontal off axis dispersion.
Off topic a little bit, what do you plan to drive your system with ?
post #287 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sadly, my efforts to sell my Alphas have failed. Maybe I could give to a charitable resale shop.

post #288 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I build up my home cinema with Yamaha CX-A5100&MX-A5000 and using a 7.2.4 Infinity Beta Set. I own my Betas since many years now.

Main Speakers are Beta 50s
Rear Speakers are Beta 40s
Center is a C360 & Back surrounds are pair of C250s.
And two Beta SW12 Subs

As Atmos/Presence Speaker i'm using 4 Pioneer addon speakers SP-T22A-LR

Also i have 4x Beta 20 factory sealed in my storage too and two Alpha 5 satellites.
All my speakers are in brand new condition now scratches or damages.

Only a power amplifier of one from my Beta 12 Sub's was gone last year.
So i took the Infinity amplifer plate out and seal the SW 12 Subwoofer housing with a wooden back plate.

Now the SW12 Subwoofer was driven with a 500W external power amplifer.
I choose the Dayton Audio SPA500 modul. This amplifier modul is more powerful as the original infinity modul.
It have also a parametric EQ like the older RABOS system on the original amplifier plate.

I love the sound in this combo all my days for movie, music and gaming too.

Best Regards, Ronald
49Merc and TuteTibiImperes like this.

Last edited by RoNNy379CH; 02-11-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #289 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoNNy379CH View Post
I build up my home cinema with Yamaha CX-A5100&MX-A5000 and using a 7.2.4 Infinity Beta Set. I own my Betas since many years now.

Main Speakers are Beta 50s
Rear Speakers are Beta 40s
Center is a C360 & Back surrounds are pair of C250s.
And two Beta SW12 Subs

As Atmos/Presence Speaker i'm using 4 Pioneer addon speakers SP-T22A-LR

Also i have 4x Beta 20 factory sealed in my storage too and two Alpha 5 satellites.
All my speakers are in brand new condition now scratches or damages.

Only a power amplifier of one from my Beta 12 Sub's was gone last year.
So i took the Infinity amplifer plate out and seal the SW 12 Subwoofer housing with a wooden back plate.

Now the SW12 Subwoofer was driven with a 500W external power amplifer.
I choose the Dayton Audio SPA500 modul. This amplifier modul is more powerful as the original infinity modul.
It have also a parametric EQ like the older RABOS system on the original amplifier plate.

I love the sound in this combo all my days for movie, music and gaming too.

Best Regards, Ronald
Very happy to know your speakers have preformed so well. My Alpha 50's, 20's, 10's & center 37c were purchased new way back in 1995. The huge Alpha was destroyed in a moving accident. My Alpha's were use daily for about 20 years. Drivers and tweeters were the only parts replaced. Now though, the tweeters are shoot and all look there age. That is except the massive 37c Center Channel. I thought I had them sold locally but the sell dropped through. We have moved on to a high quality soundbar. 😊

post #290 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It should be fine, the IL 36 has excellent vertical as well as horizontal off axis dispersion.
Off topic a little bit, what do you plan to drive your system with ?
I'm using a Harman/Kardon DPR-1001 right now, which I purchased new roughly 15 years ago. It's 50wpc and was Harman's first pure digital input-to-output design for home use. It's very clean and runs very cool but probably a bit underpowered, and doesn't do HDMI at all, so I'll be looking at an upgrade at some point in the future.

The Emotiva XMC-1 looks interesting, I love that it has Dirac, but its video switching is limited to 9gb, and I'll need at least 18gb, so I'd have to wait for the next version. ATI has their new Hypex-based class D amps that are getting great reviews as well which could probably pair up nicely.

Alternatively I could go with an all-in-one setup, and Arcam's new receivers have Dirac Live as well, but they're class A/B amps and I'd prefer to stay with a class D setup just for heat and power draw reasons.

Quote:
Sadly, my efforts to sell my Alphas have failed. Maybe I could give to a charitable resale shop.
There's somebody trying to sell a pair of Alpha 50s used on Amazon for $500 with blown tweeters. I'm not sure what the market is for the Alphas, they do look nice, are yours the rosewood or the black? The guy I bought my IL40s from said he had them on Craigslist for 2 months before I finally drove up to grab them (I may have noticed them a while ago, but I think he'd dropped the price not long before I made the trek).
post #291 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm using a Harman/Kardon DPR-1001 right now, which I purchased new roughly 15 years ago. It's 50wpc and was Harman's first pure digital input-to-output design for home use. It's very clean and runs very cool but probably a bit underpowered, and doesn't do HDMI at all, so I'll be looking at an upgrade at some point in the future.

The Emotiva XMC-1 looks interesting, I love that it has Dirac, but its video switching is limited to 9gb, and I'll need at least 18gb, so I'd have to wait for the next version. ATI has their new Hypex-based class D amps that are getting great reviews as well which could probably pair up nicely.

Alternatively I could go with an all-in-one setup, and Arcam's new receivers have Dirac Live as well, but they're class A/B amps and I'd prefer to stay with a class D setup just for heat and power draw reasons.

There's somebody trying to sell a pair of Alpha 50s used on Amazon for $500 with blown tweeters. I'm not sure what the market is for the Alphas, they do look nice, are yours the rosewood or the black? The guy I bought my IL40s from said he had them on Craigslist for 2 months before I finally drove up to grab them (I may have noticed them a while ago, but I think he'd dropped the price not long before I made the trek).
No, mine are black. The extra extra cost of packing and freight is one reason used speakers do not sell. Thanks.

post #292 of 330 Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, mine are black. The extra extra cost of packing and freight is one reason used speakers do not sell. Thanks.
Yeah, shipping is a PITA. I paid almost as much in shipping for my IL36C and the Intermezzo 4.1s as I did on the purchase price. Still way less money than anything comparable new, but I get where you're coming from.

The good gear that people want tends to be the heavy stuff that's expensive to ship. You could almost mail Bose cubes with stamps .
GLBright, 49Merc and Ka7niq like this.
post #293 of 330 Old 02-21-2017, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They're here!

So, obviously not an optimal setup yet. They arrived yesterday and I wanted to test them out, so they're running off of an SMSL mini-amp (for the top sections, since the bottoms are powered) in a ridiculously reflective and untreated room, but even in those awful conditions, these things are showing a ton of potential.

My next project is furnishing and laying out my dedicated 2-channel room with these as the centerpiece. I need to get a rug, some wall treatments, and a chair or sofa, plus some other odds and ends.

My plan right now for electronics is to move my HK DPR1001 from my main HT setup over to these, get a Denon X4300h for the main setup, and do some other shuffling of gear and furniture to provide sources as I upgrade the main setup (I may crosspost this over in the 2-channel forum to get additional ideas).
GLBright, 49Merc and Ka7niq like this.
post #294 of 330 Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still running my IL40's Fronts, IL30s rear and IL36 center, my IL120 finally died and replaced it with two Klipsch 12's. Bought my IL set back in 1999. Few Q's for you all:

Q) Im thinking about mounting my IL36c(yeah shes heavy) above my 140" screen, she can fit in the wall, thoughts? This is for a two row 8 seat theater approx 20x18.

Q) Should I entertain upgrading my IL40's? Mainly used for movies and not music as much.

and finally:

Q) I would like move to 7.2 which speakers would pair well with the IL's if I dont upgrade, find some IL10's to mount on the wall? or ?

Thanks!
post #295 of 330 Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm still rocking some Kappa 9s with a Denon powering the tops and a QSC MX700 taking care of the bass. That amp has no problem dealing with the crazy low impedance levels at all.
post #296 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerCorps View Post
I'm still running my IL40's Fronts, IL30s rear and IL36 center, my IL120 finally died and replaced it with two Klipsch 12's. Bought my IL set back in 1999. Few Q's for you all:

Q) Im thinking about mounting my IL36c(yeah shes heavy) above my 140" screen, she can fit in the wall, thoughts? This is for a two row 8 seat theater approx 20x18.

Q) Should I entertain upgrading my IL40's? Mainly used for movies and not music as much.

and finally:

Q) I would like move to 7.2 which speakers would pair well with the IL's if I dont upgrade, find some IL10's to mount on the wall? or ?

Thanks!
I just recently moved to IL40s and an IL36C for my main stage in my HT, I've been really happy with them thus far, a big improvement over my Modulus satellites and center. I'm going to play around with crossover settings and room correction once I get a new receiver and that should probably make them even better.

The Infinity Reference line may match well for surrounds, they're dirt cheap on Harman's refurbished site as well.

There's also always Craigslist, the IL40s and above are hard to find, but IL10s and IL30s pop up for low prices a lot on the one around here.
GLBright likes this.
post #297 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I just recently moved to IL40s and an IL36C for my main stage in my HT, I've been really happy with them thus far, a big improvement over my Modulus satellites and center. I'm going to play around with crossover settings and room correction once I get a new receiver and that should probably make them even better.

The Infinity Reference line may match well for surrounds, they're dirt cheap on Harman's refurbished site as well.

There's also always Craigslist, the IL40s and above are hard to find, but IL10s and IL30s pop up for low prices a lot on the one around here.
I like the older Infinity Quadrapole Surround Speakers for use with the IL 60 or IL 40 fronts, with an IL 36 center. You can run the Quadrapoles pretty loud, w/o being able to localize them, for that dramatic movie theater effect.
post #298 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm still rocking my Infinity Primus 360's and matching center in my theater room. They continue to perform great for TV, movies, and most types of music. The frustrating part is either my ear is changing or their performance is degrading for playing rock and metal. I just can't stand the way they sound when playing rock and metal anymore. I have the upgrade bug...but trying to convince myself I am still happy with these efficient classics.
Ka7niq likes this.
post #299 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like the older Infinity Quadrapole Surround Speakers for use with the IL 60 or IL 40 fronts, with an IL 36 center. You can run the Quadrapoles pretty loud, w/o being able to localize them, for that dramatic movie theater effect.
I had to look those up, I'd never seen them.

The new RS152 looks interesting. It has two tweeters angled out at 45 degrees or so each plus a 5.5" woofer that fires directly at the wall from behind the mounting bracket. It's a neat design, I'm guessing it uses the wall to diffuse the sound from the woofer into an omnidirectional pattern.

They're only $189/pair refurbished right now, I may pick a set up just to see how they sound.
Ka7niq likes this.
post #300 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I had to look those up, I'd never seen them.

The new RS152 looks interesting. It has two tweeters angled out at 45 degrees or so each plus a 5.5" woofer that fires directly at the wall from behind the mounting bracket. It's a neat design, I'm guessing it uses the wall to diffuse the sound from the woofer into an omnidirectional pattern.

They're only $189/pair refurbished right now, I may pick a set up just to see how they sound.
That is not as good as the Quadrapole, I 'm afraid. The sound will hit the wall, then ping pong back and forth, and that will ruin the omnidirectional pattern. You will not be able to run them as loud as a pair of Quadrapole's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity , Infinity Alpha 50 Floorstanding Speaker , Infinity Beta 40 Loudspeakers , Infinity Center Channel Speaker , Infinity Entra One Speaker 2 Way , infinity interlude speaker , Infinity Ows 1 , Infinity Primus P363 Three Way Dual Infinity Floor Standing Speaker , Infinity Primus Pc351 Center Speaker , Infinity Primus Two Way Pc251 Speaker