Anyone still running Infinity Speakers like me? - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #301 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Newbie
 
GamerCorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
That is not as good as the Quadrapole, I 'm afraid. The sound will hit the wall, then ping pong back and forth, and that will ruin the omnidirectional pattern. You will not be able to run them as loud as a pair of Quadrapole's.
Are those quadrapoles the QPS-1's?
GamerCorps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 330 Old 02-23-2017, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Ka7niq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerCorps View Post
Are those quadrapoles the QPS-1's?
Yes, they are what I use.
Ka7niq is offline  
post #303 of 330 Old 02-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
GLBright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Morgan County, Indiana
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
After discontinuing the Q-pole Infinity went with this design through several different models. It's a mono/di/bi-pole design and probably superior to the RS model mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beta surround.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1991969  

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,LG PF1500,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222,Pioneer PL-3000 TT,YamahaDV-S586 player,Large Advents (1972)
GLBright is offline  
 
post #304 of 330 Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Ka7niq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
After discontinuing the Q-pole Infinity went with this design through several different models. It's a mono/di/bi-pole design and probably superior to the RS model mentioned.
I used to own the entire Infinity Prelude PFR system, and the Quadrapole surrounds are the only thing left from that old system.
The foam on the old Prelude PFR's degraded, and so I took them to a well known and respected speaker repair shop here in Tampa that literally Butchered them.
The small midrange drivers of the Prelude PFR's had a narrow foam surround, from the factory. When I got them back, the replacement foam covered 1/2 of the cone of the drivers
To say they sounded like Crap is an understatement.

Over the years, I have had many surround speakers come through here of every configuration. Dipoles suck IMHO, Unless you happen to be sitting right where they have the well known dipole null.
LOL, I even tried Klipsch surrounds, with the 2 horns firing at 45 degrees to each other, with a cone in the middle. They sucked too, because you could easily locate the cone driver

I like the Quadrapole because they are small, efficient, and play loudly w/o being localized.

They are "good enough" for my use, but remember I am much more of a music listener then I am a home theater guy.
49Merc likes this.
Ka7niq is offline  
post #305 of 330 Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Your comments are the reason I never purchased specialized surrounds.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
49Merc is offline  
post #306 of 330 Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
I used to own the entire Infinity Prelude PFR system, and the Quadrapole surrounds are the only thing left from that old system.
The foam on the old Prelude PFR's degraded, and so I took them to a well known and respected speaker repair shop here in Tampa that literally Butchered them.
The small midrange drivers of the Prelude PFR's had a narrow foam surround, from the factory. When I got them back, the replacement foam covered 1/2 of the cone of the drivers
To say they sounded like Crap is an understatement.

Over the years, I have had many surround speakers come through here of every configuration. Dipoles suck IMHO, Unless you happen to be sitting right where they have the well known dipole null.
LOL, I even tried Klipsch surrounds, with the 2 horns firing at 45 degrees to each other, with a cone in the middle. They sucked too, because you could easily locate the cone driver

I like the Quadrapole because they are small, efficient, and play loudly w/o being localized.

They are "good enough" for my use, but remember I am much more of a music listener then I am a home theater guy.
Hmm, I've been reading some reviews of the QPS-1s, they seem to be pretty mixed, some love them, some hate them. I do wonder about how well the Bose-esque full-range paper cones in those would blend with the CMMDs in my front stage.

I'm going to hold off on doing new surrounds for a while (the Modulus sats I've been using for years are still fine for the moment) and make getting my 2-channel room for the Intermezzos the priority. The IL40s and IL36C in the HT room are impressing me more every day. They really shine with Blu-Rays more-so than TV for whatever reason, I'm wondering if they're just exposing faults in TV audio that I hadn't heard before. The audio on Blu-Ray discs just sounds so much fuller and richer (and it's not a codec thing as far as I can tell, everything is hooked up via optical right now since my receiver doesn't do HDMI, so it's all compressed).

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the shop in Tampa, I'm hoping that's not indicative of their normal level of service. They're my plan for repair in case the midrange drivers in the Intermezzos experience the magnet failure that can occur in the Intermezzo and Prelude MTS line.
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #307 of 330 Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
GLBright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Morgan County, Indiana
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
There's one of the very few reviews of the Intermezzo 4.1t here. Also excerpts from a speech by Floyd Toole. Great read, as were all issues of The Audio Critic.

http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/ma...ritic_28_r.pdf
TuteTibiImperes likes this.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,LG PF1500,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222,Pioneer PL-3000 TT,YamahaDV-S586 player,Large Advents (1972)
GLBright is offline  
post #308 of 330 Old 02-26-2017, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene c353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F Bay Area
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerCorps View Post
I'm still running my IL40's Fronts, IL30s rear and IL36 center, my IL120 finally died and replaced it with two Klipsch 12's. Bought my IL set back in 1999. Few Q's for you all:

Q) Im thinking about mounting my IL36c(yeah shes heavy) above my 140" screen, she can fit in the wall, thoughts? This is for a two row 8 seat theater approx 20x18.

Q) Should I entertain upgrading my IL40's? Mainly used for movies and not music as much.

and finally:

Q) I would like move to 7.2 which speakers would pair well with the IL's if I dont upgrade, find some IL10's to mount on the wall? or ?

Thanks!
One speaker that seems to get lost in the schuffle that can be used as surrounds with the Alpha, Beta, Entra and IL lines is the OWS-1. 6 1/2" CMMD woofer and 3/4" version of the CMMD tweeter. lite, 4 1/2" deep and reportedly plays to 80hz (but 100hz is more likely). In white and ebony. Tonal quality should match all the line closely enough and usually sell for around $70 (+/- $25).

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TCnu5I...-speakers.html
GLBright and 49Merc like this.

Last edited by gene c353; 02-27-2017 at 02:03 PM.
gene c353 is offline  
post #309 of 330 Old 02-27-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
One speaker that seems to get lost in the schuffle that can be used as surrounds with the Alpha, Beta, Entra and IL lines is the OWS-1. 6 1/2" CMMD woofer and 3/4" version of the CMMD tweeter. lite, 4 1/2" deep and reportedly plays to 80hz (but 100hz is more likely). In white and ebony. Tonal quality should match all the line closely enough and usually sell for around $70 (+/- $25).

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108OWS...c=4&tp=191&s=0
I had one for awhile. Your link seems not to work.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
49Merc is offline  
post #310 of 330 Old 02-27-2017, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Anyone have any leads on where someone could buy a complete RABOS kit?
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #311 of 330 Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene c353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F Bay Area
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I had one for awhile. Your link seems not to work.
Lets try this one .

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-TCnu5I...-speakers.html
gene c353 is offline  
post #312 of 330 Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Happy this thread is back from the dead

So this is partly a rate my system/look what I just found thread haha!

Found a full set of Cherry Cascade speakers (sans sub) from a seller in redondo who (while very nice) didn't seem to know what they had....I won't pain you with what I paid for them but here's the setup as it stands now:

Cascade 9's/3C/5 surrounds on the floor stands
SVS SB2000
Marantz SR5010
Deion DP-300F+ Grado Reference2
Panasonic TC-60PU54
PS4/Roku Premier+

I must say, especially when listening to something like Chris Issak's "Wicked Game" the transparency is obscene
GLBright likes this.

A: Marantz SR5010/Denon DP-300F+ Grado Reference2/Infinity Cascade 9+3C+5/SVS SB2000
V: Panasonic TC-60PU54/Sony PS4/Roku Premier+
Daniel Moore is offline  
post #313 of 330 Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Moore View Post
So this is partly a rate my system/look what I just found thread haha!

Found a full set of Cherry Cascade speakers (sans sub) from a seller in redondo who (while very nice) didn't seem to know what they had....I won't pain you with what I paid for them but here's the setup as it stands now:

Cascade 9's/3C/5 surrounds on the floor stands
SVS SB2000
Marantz SR5010
Deion DP-300F+ Grado Reference2
Panasonic TC-60PU54
PS4/Roku Premier+

I must say, especially when listening to something like Chris Issak's "Wicked Game" the transparency is obscene
Denon*

A: Marantz SR5010/Denon DP-300F+ Grado Reference2/Infinity Cascade 9+3C+5/SVS SB2000
V: Panasonic TC-60PU54/Sony PS4/Roku Premier+
Daniel Moore is offline  
post #314 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Moore View Post
So this is partly a rate my system/look what I just found thread haha!

Found a full set of Cherry Cascade speakers (sans sub) from a seller in redondo who (while very nice) didn't seem to know what they had....I won't pain you with what I paid for them but here's the setup as it stands now:

Cascade 9's/3C/5 surrounds on the floor stands
SVS SB2000
Marantz SR5010
Deion DP-300F+ Grado Reference2
Panasonic TC-60PU54
PS4/Roku Premier+

I must say, especially when listening to something like Chris Issak's "Wicked Game" the transparency is obscene
Cool setup, I haven't ever had a chance to see the Cascades in person, but they look very pretty from photos.
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #315 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
GLBright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Morgan County, Indiana
Posts: 734
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Cool setup, I haven't ever had a chance to see the Cascades in person, but they look very pretty from photos.
Neither have I. But somehow I have a feeling that the Cascade line, with its mid-century modern styling, didn't sell well. And was the beginning of the end for Infinity's better quality speakers. The Reference line is all there has been since the Cascades were withdrawn.
49Merc likes this.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,LG PF1500,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsSL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222,Pioneer PL-3000 TT,YamahaDV-S586 player,Large Advents (1972)
GLBright is offline  
post #316 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
gene c353's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: S.F Bay Area
Posts: 863
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Moore View Post
So this is partly a rate my system/look what I just found thread haha!

Found a full set of Cherry Cascade speakers (sans sub) from a seller in redondo who (while very nice) didn't seem to know what they had....I won't pain you with what I paid for them but here's the setup as it stands now:

Cascade 9's/3C/5 surrounds on the floor stands
SVS SB2000
Marantz SR5010
Deion DP-300F+ Grado Reference2
Panasonic TC-60PU54
PS4/Roku Premier+

I must say, especially when listening to something like Chris Issak's "Wicked Game" the transparency is obscene
Have you heard the live version of Wicked Game from The Best Of Soundstage bluray? It's wicked! (worst pun I've ever used )

I'd love to hear me some Infinity Cascades .
49Merc likes this.
gene c353 is offline  
post #317 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
Neither have I. But somehow I have a feeling that the Cascade line, with its mid-century modern styling, didn't sell well. And was the beginning of the end for Infinity's better quality speakers. The Reference line is all there has been since the Cascades were withdrawn.
I wonder how much of that was due to the demise of Circuit City, IIRC they were the biggest B&M retailer for Infinity speakers (I don't recall ever seeing them at Best Buy, I believe they only carried the JBL line).

TweeterAV was in a death spiral around that same time, and that may have also had something to do with it.

It would be nice if Samsung helps Harman invest back into the Infinity brand.
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #318 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
Neither have I. But somehow I have a feeling that the Cascade line, with its mid-century modern styling, didn't sell well. And was the beginning of the end for Infinity's better quality speakers. The Reference line is all there has been since the Cascades were withdrawn.
It's funny you sat this specifically because I live in a Mid-Century modern ranch house in So-Cal that I've done up as such. I'll post some photo's tomorrow.
Squirrel! likes this.

A: Marantz SR5010/Denon DP-300F+ Grado Reference2/Infinity Cascade 9+3C+5/SVS SB2000
V: Panasonic TC-60PU54/Sony PS4/Roku Premier+
Daniel Moore is offline  
post #319 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post
Have you heard the live version of Wicked Game from The Best Of Soundstage bluray? It's wicked! (worst pun I've ever used )

I'd love to hear me some Infinity Cascades .
I can't say that I have, but I'm genuinely thinking of dusting off my C555ES in the closet and shopping for some SACD's again.

A: Marantz SR5010/Denon DP-300F+ Grado Reference2/Infinity Cascade 9+3C+5/SVS SB2000
V: Panasonic TC-60PU54/Sony PS4/Roku Premier+
Daniel Moore is offline  
post #320 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I wonder how much of that was due to the demise of Circuit City, IIRC they were the biggest B&M retailer for Infinity speakers (I don't recall ever seeing them at Best Buy, I believe they only carried the JBL line).

TweeterAV was in a death spiral around that same time, and that may have also had something to do with it.

It would be nice if Samsung helps Harman invest back into the Infinity brand.
I bought my first set of Infinity Speakers from CC (RS2's) and I remember the fire sales at Tweeter when they were going under.

I agree with your assessment of CC being the largest B&M retailer for Infinity, and they haven't done anything to move the needle since the TSS/Primus lines debuted 10 years ago in the general consumer space. When I was 12 (in 1996) my parents got a new Grand Caravan ES (with dual sliders!) that had the Infinity Acoustic 10 system. It was mind-blowing for my 12yr old self and I've had a soft spot for Infinity ever since. Here's hoping Samsung can find the value in the name. After all fellow Korean company Kia still does.......if thats worth anything.....

A: Marantz SR5010/Denon DP-300F+ Grado Reference2/Infinity Cascade 9+3C+5/SVS SB2000
V: Panasonic TC-60PU54/Sony PS4/Roku Premier+
Daniel Moore is offline  
post #321 of 330 Old 03-16-2017, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Moore View Post
I bought my first set of Infinity Speakers from CC (RS2's) and I remember the fire sales at Tweeter when they were going under.

I agree with your assessment of CC being the largest B&M retailer for Infinity, and they haven't done anything to move the needle since the TSS/Primus lines debuted 10 years ago in the general consumer space. When I was 12 (in 1996) my parents got a new Grand Caravan ES (with dual sliders!) that had the Infinity Acoustic 10 system. It was mind-blowing for my 12yr old self and I've had a soft spot for Infinity ever since. Here's hoping Samsung can find the value in the name. After all fellow Korean company Kia still does.......if thats worth anything.....
I believe Hyundai uses Infinity systems as well. Apparently a lot of the value Samsung saw in Harman was in their OEM partnerships in the automotive sector, so if they want to keep being able to sell Infinity car audio systems as something premium, they'll need to keep the brand relevant, after all, who'd pay extra for a premium audio system from Jensen, Altec-Lansing, Mirage, or any number of other brands that have either disappeared or fallen greatly in stature?
GLBright and Daniel Moore like this.
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #322 of 330 Old 03-17-2017, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I wonder how much of that was due to the demise of Circuit City, IIRC they were the biggest B&M retailer for Infinity speakers (I don't recall ever seeing them at Best Buy, I believe they only carried the JBL line).

TweeterAV was in a death spiral around that same time, and that may have also had something to do with it.

It would be nice if Samsung helps Harman invest back into the Infinity brand.
In it's demise CC was selling only consumer grade speakers.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
49Merc is offline  
post #323 of 330 Old 03-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Ka7niq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I wonder how much of that was due to the demise of Circuit City, IIRC they were the biggest B&M retailer for Infinity speakers (I don't recall ever seeing them at Best Buy, I believe they only carried the JBL line).

TweeterAV was in a death spiral around that same time, and that may have also had something to do with it.

It would be nice if Samsung helps Harman invest back into the Infinity brand.
If it were my company, I would retain only the very best engineers from Infinity, and put Infinity out of it's misery.
It is over for them, and it has been over for awhile.
RIP Infinity
49Merc likes this.
Ka7niq is offline  
post #324 of 330 Old 03-17-2017, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
If it were my company, I would retain only the very best engineers from Infinity, and put Infinity out of it's misery.
It is over for them, and it has been over for awhile.
RIP Infinity
I agree.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
49Merc is offline  
post #325 of 330 Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,540
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
If it were my company, I would retain only the very best engineers from Infinity, and put Infinity out of it's misery.
It is over for them, and it has been over for awhile.
RIP Infinity
The way I see it Harman should do something like this:

JBL - Pro Audio, Cinema, Mastering, Installed Sound, and HT focused home audio, with JBL Synthesis being the premium HT focused brand. Make it all about high efficiency, horns, compression drivers, big woofers, the stuff JBL does best.

Infinity - More of a balanced music/HT brand, pay more attention to cabinets/enclosures than JBL, make them pretty so they look at home in a nice living room. Have a range from entry-level mass market speakers to mid-premium, maybe have the top end where the Revel Concerta or Performa line is now. Make Infinity the direct competitor to Polk, DefTech, Paradigm, etc.

Revel - Cost is no object ultimate speakers at the top, maybe some overlap with Infinity at the bottom.
TuteTibiImperes is online now  
post #326 of 330 Old 03-17-2017, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Ka7niq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Near Tampa Florida
Posts: 222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I agree.
General Motors got rid of both Pontiac and Oldsmobubble, as well as Saturn.
The few of us who remember the heyday of Infinity, are nearing nursing home age, and guess what ?
Most nursing homes will not let us take our IL 60's, much less a full blown IRS System.
Go ahead, ask your Grandkids if they ever heard of Infinity ?
Then, ask if they have heard of JBL
Samsung needs to put Infinity out of it's misery, and concentrate on JBL and Revel.
GLBright and 49Merc like this.
Ka7niq is offline  
post #327 of 330 Old 04-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Infinity Prelude MTS

One adres for repairing Infinity Prelude MTS midrange speakers
Loudspeakerrepair dot com
They ship worldwide
donnet is offline  
post #328 of 330 Old 04-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Russ69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
General Motors got rid of both Pontiac and Oldsmobubble, as well as Saturn.
The few of us who remember the heyday of Infinity, are nearing nursing home age, and guess what ?
Most nursing homes will not let us take our IL 60's, much less a full blown IRS System.
Go ahead, ask your Grandkids if they ever heard of Infinity ?
Then, ask if they have heard of JBL
Samsung needs to put Infinity out of it's misery, and concentrate on JBL and Revel.
HEY! I represent that. I still run RS1B towers and RS 2.5s. Infinity is just a trademark now, Arnie Nudell was the man that put Infinity on the map and it wasn't long after his departure that the spark of ideas ended.
GLBright likes this.

__________________________

I have no data to back up my opinion, it's an opinion not a white paper!
Russ69 is online now  
post #329 of 330 Old 04-21-2017, 01:01 PM
Member
 
emiller1181's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm still using Beta C360, 20's, and 10's for my 5.1 with a recently purchased used HSU STF-2. Personally they still sound really good to me. Occasionally voices sound muffled though, I don't know if it's the speakers or source material. This happened with my old H/K AVR 235 and a recently purchased Yamaha RX-v675.

One scene I specifically noticed it in recently is Fargo season 1 episode 7. This is blu-ray with HD sound through HDMI. It happens when Spoiler
Spoiler!
I'm curious if anyone knows that scene or can rewatch it and let me know if it is replicated over other speakers.


I'm loving the HSU subwoofer and started looking at the HB-1 MK2 and CCB-8 speakers. I'm sure the CCB-8's would blow the Beta's out of the water, but what about the HB-1 MK2's vs the Beta 20's? They're cheaper than what the Beta's were new, granted the Beta's are 10+ year old speakers.
49Merc likes this.
emiller1181 is offline  
post #330 of 330 Unread Today, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
49Merc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Sometime you just have to laugh.

A person replied to my Alpha 20 with stands sales ad on letgo today.

He asked a few questions.
  • Is the price is negotiable? Answer - The very low price is not negotiable
  • If the speakers are hard wired? Answer - No, then provided extensive details about speaker cable connection methods.
  • Wattage? Answer - 100 watts

His reply - Too expensive yet beautiful. He is looking for 300 watt speakers.

Here is the shocker! I'm selling my pair of 2002 Alpha 20's with stands for $75.00. The price is low because my 50's, 20's, 37c and Sub were played every day. They provided audio for our television until 2015 or 2016. Every day since 2002. I think we changed televisions 4, 5 or 6 times during the time span. 😜

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad

Last edited by 49Merc; Today at 08:30 PM.
49Merc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity , Infinity Alpha 50 Floorstanding Speaker , Infinity Beta 40 Loudspeakers , Infinity Center Channel Speaker , Infinity Entra One Speaker 2 Way , infinity interlude speaker , Infinity Ows 1 , Infinity Primus P363 Three Way Dual Infinity Floor Standing Speaker , Infinity Primus Pc351 Center Speaker , Infinity Primus Two Way Pc251 Speaker



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off