Anyone still running Infinity Speakers like me? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 223 Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No home audio stuff, but I have Infinitys in my car. Huge improvement in the highs and midrange over the factory POS speakers.
49Merc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 223 Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 12

Yea, those Kappa 9's are some awesome speakers. Used to like the bottom end on those speakers. My Kappa 8's & 9's were so power hungry! There was a frequency point where they dipped into an insanely low Ohm load. Friends used to love watching the lights dip every time the bass hit. They both took some serious power. Ended up bi-amping them, then went to some large Monoblock amps. I actually miss those Kappas. 

Then the upgrade bug started. After the Prelude MTS Speakers got a Class A rating in a prominent mag I just had to give them a listen. Ended up removing a pair of Legacy-Audio Focus, they're just sitting there gathering dust, purchased and hooked up the Infinity's. Now, I have way more amplification than they need but, the amp being Class A is worth keeping in the system for the sweet mids & upper end.

The nice thing about the Infinity MTS' is being able to drive the subs 850w BASH amps with the preamp (Line Out) and then just use the amp to drive the Towers. The Prelude MTS' also have a little more WAF, they give the illusion of not taking up much room.

The bad part about this hobby, the need, the want to upgrade! Trying to find space for all the gear. Probably still have drivers from my Kappas and Focus around the house. Just couldn't seem to part with anything over the years. The awesome part is the not wanting to upgrade anymore. Wife's a lot happier too.

49Merc likes this.
post #183 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 58
My first good speakers were Infinity 1001's, in '71 (many of you weren't born yet!). The last Infinity's were RS-1b's, which I bought used from High-End dealer Brooks Berdan, and sold back to him a couple of years ago. Both Brooks (Henry Rollins is a customer of the shop) and the RS-1b's, semi-legendary.
49Merc likes this.
post #184 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDP24 View Post

My first good speakers were Infinity 1001's, in '71 (many of you weren't born yet!). The last Infinity's were RS-1b's, which I bought used from High-End dealer Brooks Berdan, and sold back to him a couple of years ago. Both Brooks (Henry Rollins is a customer of the shop) and the RS-1b's, semi-legendary.
Yep, legendary, and best forgotten about too.
Foam surrounds self destructed, and once refoamed, are never the same.
Then, the ribbons themself developed buzzes/rattles, and are near impossible to get replacements today.
Not too many things sound worse, then an old EMIT Tweeter

My old Infinity Prelude PFR's were a great sounding speaker, until they came apart from old foam.

Contrary to what the speaker repair Butchers will tell you, unless the exact same foam is used to repair a speaker, it is seldom the same.

I remember the other Infinity you speak of I think. Is it the one with the ice cream cone looking Walsh Tweeter on top of it, that radiated in an omnidirectional fashion ?
49Merc likes this.
post #185 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Everything on my 1b's was in fine shape. The woofers didn't have foam surrounds though, they were butyl. But with two columns for each channel and an outboard crossover, and two stereo amps required, they were a little complicated. Okay for Home Theatre. The 1001's were just simple 2-ways, regular woofer/tweeter boxes, nothing exotic. They just sounded pretty good for their budget price. They were Infinity's entry-level speaker, before Infinity had been bought by Harmon Int.
49Merc likes this.
post #186 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:

Everything on my 1b's was in fine shape. The woofers didn't have foam surrounds though, they were butyl. But with two columns for each channel and an outboard crossover, and two stereo amps required, they were a little complicated. Okay for Home Theatre. The 1001's were just simple 2-ways, regular woofer/tweeter boxes, nothing exotic. They just sounded pretty good for their budget price. They were Infinity's entry-level speaker, before Infinity had been bought by Harmon Int.
Yes, you are right, the old RS 1B's did have rubber, and not foam surrounds.
Here is a great picture of them!

post #187 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Yep, that's them. Mine were the same finish, oak. The only other pair I saw in person were black.
post #188 of 223 Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Yep, that's them. Mine were the same finish, oak. The only other pair I saw in person were black.
These are the old Infinities I was talking about, with the Walsh Tweeters

I had a pair of these, back in 1980 I think it was ?

They were quite musical. I replaced them with Acoustat Electrostats, and then B&W 801's.

Speaking of the RS 1B's, my friend had a pair in his basement, driven by a big Threshold Stasis Amp on the woofers, and Conrad Johnson Tube amps, on the Panels.

They were voiced for music, and not for home theater!
In fact, once he hooked them up to his TV, we could both clearly hear the obvious colorations on voices.
He sold them, and bought B&W 801's

Speech is a real bitch to get truly right, and it is surprising how few speakers really do it properly.
post #189 of 223 Old 12-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Posted this under subwoofers...thought the Infinity owners might get a kick out of it.

Ok...got my dual LV12R's running. After a few evenings playing with them and switching out some mains they're just about what I was hoping for. Seamless for music...and I mean all kinds of music, from Steel Drivers to Joe Bonamassa to 'you name it'.

I ran the Rythmiks according to the set up sheet with LFE, crossover at 80, mains to small, bass to subs only. Amp is a Yamaha RXV2700. Mainly listened in 2.1 but also ran some 7.1 stereo.

I played them with a set of Martinlogan Motion 12's that I picked up a month ago. I'm not sure they I'm a big fan of the folded motion tweeter...seems a bit hot for my tastes with too much SSSSSS on vocals and the tweeters get a little harsh at higher volumes. The Rythmiks played very nicely with them but I had a hard time taming the tweeters on the ML's. There's a fullness to the ML's but I think they might have over reached with the tweeters.

I had a set of Zaph Audio 5.3c's that I've used for HT use. I hooked them for a few hours. I actually preferred the upper end of the Zaph's to the ML's but the Zaph's are a bit shy on the midbass and felt the blend with the subs got a little weaker.

Finally, I dug out my Infinity SL40 vintage 1993 just for kicks. Wouldn't you know it, I had the best speakers sitting in a closet, untouched for 6 years because, certainly, better stuff has come along since 1993. I set these on top of the Rythmiks because, for a floor stander, they're a bit short and the stage dropped a bit. Man...was a nice combo. Not sure what it is but those two were so easy to listen to. Low volume, SPL...didn't matter...they just kept singing. I may have to refresh my knowledge of the SL40's to see why I like them so much.

I have yet to throw in a movie...that's tomorrow. I'll update then, but so far I'm happy. I probably could have ponied up another $1500-2000 for a pair of bigger Rythmiks but I think this will do.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/67310-rythmik-lv12r-subwoofer-discussion-thread-8.html#ixzz2nVOc4qxT
post #190 of 223 Old 12-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

The Steel Drivers! I thought I was the only one around here that had heard of them , let alone like them. Buddy Miller, the great Nashville singer/guitarist/producer, and Emmylou Harris' band leader, was singing (har) their praises in an interview he did. Very traditional, old-time, hillbilly music, really well done.
post #191 of 223 Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

The Steel Drivers! I thought I was the only one around here that had heard of them , let alone like them. Buddy Miller, the great Nashville singer/guitarist/producer, and Emmylou Harris' band leader, was singing (har) their praises in an interview he did. Very traditional, old-time, hillbilly music, really well done.

Yep...going to see them in Poplar MO in Feb. They're playing in an old 800 seat theater. biggrin.gif
BDP24 likes this.
post #192 of 223 Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 12

What an absolutely cool thread!

Getting to see all these Infinity speakers everyone's still using in their systems, vintage & newer.

I was sure I was one of the Infinity aficionados out there… man was I wrong!

Many of the older Infinity Speakers you guys are throwing into this thread I've never heard of.

Brings back some good times!

post #193 of 223 Old 02-10-2014, 03:17 PM

Liked: 10
I actually have 2 sets of them. Picked another used set up and have them at my nephews house. I have the Reference 3's & Center finishing off an 11.2 system. It is really nice sounding for that and I still enjoy just listening to the mains also as they reproduce crisply and clean. Obviously on having the 300w amps it's a little less than the IL60's which are very sweet cans but I do like the smaller woofers also as they react quickly and tightly while still going extremely low. The O3's go lower than the 25hz in room so for some music no need to turn on the subs.

I have a couple other systems and working on my dream system now but will always have a soft spot for Infinities back to the Beta days. Genesis speakers remind me of them alot. No more vintage stuff though as I have plenty restored equipment in 2 of my systems. :-)

Thank you,
post #194 of 223 Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

I sold the pair of RS-1b's I bought from Brooks Berdan back to him. He had them in the Hi-Fi Museum he was amassing. The disease Brooks had been suffering with since his late teens took him a few years back, and all the pieces of Classic Hi-Fi have been sold off. Somebody else is enjoying the 1b's now.
49Merc likes this.
post #195 of 223 Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Eventually I will have no further use for my Alpha 50's (2), 37c (1), 20's (2) and 10's (2). All work perfectly. I wonder if such an aged yet, IMO, great speaker group would sell? Just for the record, this is not an advertisement.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #196 of 223 Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Anyone have an opinion regarding my Alpha's? See above comments by me. Thanks

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #197 of 223 Old 02-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I had a pair of 20s. Gave them to my neighbor after I toasted his garage system. They sounded and looked great. I think Harman's Infinity line including the Composition Overtures,Alphas, Betas, Kappas (European), Interludes, Intermezzos, and Preludes were exceptional. After that I think they went strange or way cheaper. The speakers they sell today sound way above their price point but don't command much respect w/ the high end crowd. I would imagine that the Primus line and Pioneer's budget line designed by Andrew Jones are of equal value.

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #198 of 223 Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 159

Ah... the good old days when Infinity was a respected name...

Now Harman is basically just junking the brand...

Sad, sad, sad...

post #199 of 223 Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

All I can say is Ive been an IL-40 owner for many years now.... I bought my pair new in 06 I think for about a grand... Ive cranked these speakers more times that I can remember with an older Kenwood M1D amp that I just recently sold. Since I have upgraded just about every other piece of equipment in my system, but the IL-40's remain. I love the clarity if the CMMD tweeters and bass is no problem even without a sub. Ive looked at upgrading to some other front 3 speakers, but I cant seem to find anything I believe would really be an actual upgrade for what Im willing to spend. Ive been told I would need to spend several thousand dollars to match the IL-40's in todays quality. I dunno, but I still love my Il-40s.

49Merc likes this.

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #200 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post

The IL 60 is RULER FLAT, and can sound not very good in some rooms, as it did in mine, when I dogged them in my review.

I had great hopes for the IL 60 because the Infinity Engineer who was in charge of blind listening tests back then told me the IL 60 was BEATING the Mighty Prelude MTS in blind listening test so bad, they had to handicap the IL 60 by turning the bass down.
I still have (and love) the Infinity IL 60's, now that I realize what I really had all along.
I had to LEARN that you can't just take a speaker that is as near perfection, as far as ruler flat response goes like the IL 60 is, and expect it to always sound good in every room.
The IL 60 is another beast, entirely.

It has THE Flattest Frequency Response EVER measured by the Canadiens at Infinity.

This means you almost have to play with furniture and room treatments, and move the speaker, until you get it right.

But WHEN you do make it like the room it is in, hold on tight.

It is an incredible sounding speaker, with one warning.

It has little to No "personality" of it's own. It is a truly accurate, ruler flat monitor, with no artificial 'flavor" designed into it.

I spoke to several Infinity Engineers about the IL 60, and I sincerely thank them for encouraging me to get these wonderful speakers right.

All the Infinity engineers I spoke with, including Floyd Toole, encouraged me to get the speaker right first, then use my tone controls to get it perfect

To a veteran audiophile like myself, that is like Treason, but I did it, and guess what ?

They were right!

Much of the time, I listen Flat, if it is a good recording or BluRay. But, if it some Bright and Hard 80's Pop or Rock, guess what ?

I shamelessly just crank the treble down a tad, and enjoy.

The IL 60 does not image as well as some other speakers like B&W 801's and Tannoy's, but it is still open sounding.

The Canadien Speaker Engineers that were at Infinity back then were aware of this, and made a design decision to go for as widely dispersed Ruler Flat on and off axis Response as they could get in the IL 60.

Unfortunately, really wide dispersion does not give the pin point imaging of a more directive design.

It's been a couple years since this post, and I thought it needed a bump. I use no tone control adjustments at all on my IL-60s. Then again the room (HT) is somewhat cluttered. Even the first reflection points have something in the way. Anything/everything I've heard through these speakers over the years has been clean, natural, and involving. My only fear is that an amp will die. And yes, I do use RABOS.

Here's a review by Michael Fremer from the January 2002 issue of Stereophile Guide to Home Theater

http://www.avsforum.com/attachments/69157

HT: Onkyo TX-SR702,Infinity IL60s/IL36c,DefTech PF1500sub,PanasonicPT-AX100,Draper92"screen,SonyBDP-S570,Dish622
Stereo1 Denon PMA-630 amp,TechnicsPL-1300TT,ToshibaSD-4960 uni-player,Infinity Overture 3s
Stereo 2 OnkyoTX-8222 HitachiHT-61S TT,YamahaDV-S586 uni-player,Large Advents (1972)
post #201 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I recently did a massive refoaming project for an array of Infinity Crescendo speakers. I created a thread with instructions and photos here.

After I completed each pair I would give them a thorough "test listen" prior to returning them to my brother-in-law and I have to say that they are still absolutely outstanding speakers. My only reservation, and it's a minor and situational one, is that they seemed to be very directional with a well-defined "sweet spot" that you would need to be in for optimal listening. I'd love to have a pair of CS3009's for a dedicated music-only listening setup. I don't know that they would hold up as well for home theatre usage.

post #202 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Any Cascade owners out there? I remember when the line was first released and was completely taken aback by the new design, obviously created with home theater in mind. Never heard them but always wondered how they sounded. Likewise Prelude 40s.

post #203 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Here's a really good read from Stereophile by the Harley/Tellig duo on the original Prelude P-FR, designed by Laurie Fincham and Andrew Jones (before he became famous).

http://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-composition-prelude-p-fr-loudspeaker

post #204 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post

It's been a couple years since this post, and I thought it needed a bump. I use no tone control adjustments at all on my IL-60s. Then again the room (HT) is somewhat cluttered. Even the first reflection points have something in the way. Anything/everything I've heard through these speakers over the years has been clean, natural, and involving. My only fear is that an amp will die. And yes, I do use RABOS.

How do you connect your IL60...?

Do you use it as a full tower speaker - and only use a single pair of speaker wires to connect them?

Or do you use a sub-woofer cable to the sub-woofer part - and the speaker cable to the upper 3 drivers alone?

I have been able to get a lot of bass from these - but never what I would consider a very enveloping sound... :( 

post #205 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any Cascade owners out there? I remember when the line was first released and was completely taken aback by the new design, obviously created with home theater in mind. Never heard them but always wondered how they sounded. Likewise Prelude 40s.

The Prelude 40 was a total bust...

One reason they were never sold in the US...

Which is sad - because they were an absolutely beautiful looking speaker...

post #206 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

How do you connect your IL60...?

Do you use it as a full tower speaker - and only use a single pair of speaker wires to connect them?

Or do you use a sub-woofer cable to the sub-woofer part - and the speaker cable to the upper 3 drivers alone?

I have been able to get a lot of base from these - but never what I would consider a very enveloping sound... frown.gif

Good question. I've tried all the connection possibilities. I have an old DefTech PF1500 subwoofer in the front right corner so I've gone the triple sub route. Didn't care much for that even though I read that multiple subs help smooth out the low bass sound at the listening position. For that I use RABOS on the IL60s and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP 1124P used as an equalizer for the corner sub. Followed the "if you have a sub then your mains should always be set to "small" no matter what" route and didn't care much for that either. My Onkyo receiver has a "Double Bass" setting that sends the L/R bass to the sub as well. Didn't like that much. So now I'm a single wire guy running them "large". I listen to a lot of music on them in stereo so this makes the most sense to me. The fact that they're only down 3dB at 25Hz means that everything except the 32' organ pipes gets reproduced accurately. Love these speakers. My room is pretty dead so the 60s end up very revealing. Source quality = sound quality. They're not forgiving.

post #207 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good question. I've tried all the connection possibilities. I have an old DefTech PF1500 subwoofer in the front right corner so I've gone the triple sub route. Didn't care much for that even though I read that multiple subs help smooth out the low bass sound at the listening position. For that I use RABOS on the IL60s and a Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP 1124P used as an equalizer for the corner sub. Followed the "if you have a sub then your mains should always be set to "small" no matter what" route and didn't care much for that either. My Onkyo receiver has a "Double Bass" setting that sends the L/R bass to the sub as well. Didn't like that much. So now I'm a single wire guy running them "large". I listen to a lot of music on them in stereo so this makes the most sense to me. The fact that they're only down 3dB at 25Hz means that everything except the 32' organ pipes gets reproduced accurately. Love these speakers. My room is pretty dead so the 60s end up very revealing. Source quality = sound quality. They're not forgiving.

Yeah... that is the way I have always had mine hooked up - set to LARGE...

I was just wondering if the sub-woofer direct connection - would make the speaker sound better - and it seems as though it won't...

It just sounds like there is something "missing"... and I have the RABOS system also...

And I know what you mean about "source quality"...

Years ago I popped in the - History Past, Present and Future Book I - CD by Michael Jackson - and was TOTALLY floored/stunned... :eek:

I am not sure how this CD was mastered, etc. - but the sound from this CD was stunning!  It made my speakers "come alive" - and sounded like it was a TOTALLY different speaker!

I can't explain it - or even why it just happens on this particular CD - but no other CD has ever made my speakers sound like that...

So, I know what these speakers CAN sound like (heaven) - I just don't know how to get them to sound like that other than with this particular CD...

post #208 of 223 Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Years ago I popped in the - History Past, Present and Future Book I - CD by Michael Jackson - and was TOTALLY floored/stunned... eek.gif

I am not sure how this CD was mastered, etc. - but the sound from this CD was stunning!  It made my speakers "come alive" - and sounded like it was a TOTALLY different speaker!

I can't explain it - or even why it just happens on this particular CD - but no other CD has ever made my speakers sound like that...

So, I know what these speakers CAN sound like (heaven) - I just don't know how to get them to sound like that other than with this particular CD...

Taking your cue I just put in the same 2 CD set, although derived from 320kbs MP3, and it does sound remarkable. Doubtless the original would be even better. We can probably credit Quincy Jones for the overall quality. And I keep the woofer volume control set to 4. Anything more gets boomy, and anything less sounds anemic.

post #209 of 223 Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I have a pair of Entra-One's I'm using as surround.
I didn't realize it until I looked at the model number on the back that they were made right here in the good ole USA.
No wonder I like them so much.
Plus they are 60-20,000Hz (- +3db)
post #210 of 223 Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know of anywhere on the net I can find professional reviews of the Interlude?

I know I read quite a few back in the day (2002-2004ish) professional reviews about them on the net - but I did both a Google and Yahoo search and come up with nothing now...

:confused:

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity , Infinity Ows 1 , Infinity Beta 40 Loudspeakers , Infinity Center Channel Speaker , Infinity Alpha 50 Floorstanding Speaker , Infinity Entra One Speaker 2 Way , Infinity Primus P363 Three Way Dual Infinity Floor Standing Speaker , Infinity Primus Two Way Pc251 Speaker , Infinity Primus Pc351 Center Speaker
Gear in this thread - Pc351 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page