Anyone still running Infinity Speakers like me? - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #241 of 252 Old 02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post
OK, looks like I am "ready" to sell...

Is $2,500 a good asking price...?

Is Audiogon the best place to list these speakers...?

Samsung 78 HU9000 or LG 79/84 UB9800 or Sony XBR-75X940C (2015)
Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Unread 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post
Is Audiogon the best place to list these speakers...?

Did you ever sell the IL-60?
GLBright likes this.
post #243 of 252 Unread 08-03-2015, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrtturbo View Post
Did you ever sell the IL-60?
My younger brother has them now.
I really regret that I never got a chance to try Audyssey, or anything besides RABOS on them.
post #244 of 252 Unread 09-09-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLBright View Post
Here's a really good read from Stereophile by the Harley/Tellig duo on the original Prelude P-FR, designed by Laurie Fincham and Andrew Jones (before he became famous).

http://www.stereophile.com/content/i...fr-loudspeaker
Old Prelude PFR's are a thing of the past now, because of the foam Infinity chose to use on the drivers
I tried to save my Preludes by having a speaker repair shop here in Tampa butcher mine.
Unless the exact same foam is used to refoam a speaker, seldom will it ever be the same, or sound the same again.

My advice ? Remember the Infinity PFR for what it was
post #245 of 252 Unread 11-16-2015, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Still running my Alpha's but wondering if anyone has the latest Infinity Reference series?

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #246 of 252 Unread Today, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm running the Compositions now and I have also discovered a possible replacement driver for the 5.25 midrange. I will be testing this driver this weekend.

Harman identified the 5.25 driver as an ERS-500 which happens to match of all things, the Goldwood GW 205/4s-8. Harman gave me the ohm and sensitivity, transmitted these to Parts Express and they matched it to the Goldwood driver. The drivers appear to be identical folks.

The hardest one to match is the 4 inch mid, I haven't found a drop in replacement for that one yet.

My drivers are fine - but I like have spare drivers on speakers like these.
GLBright likes this.
post #247 of 252 Unread Today, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'm running the Compositions now and I have also discovered a possible replacement driver for the 5.25 midrange. I will be testing this driver this weekend.

Harman identified the 5.25 driver as an ERS-500 which happens to match of all things, the Goldwood GW 205/4s-8. Harman gave me the ohm and sensitivity, transmitted these to Parts Express and they matched it to the Goldwood driver. The drivers appear to be identical folks.

The hardest one to match is the 4 inch mid, I haven't found a drop in replacement for that one yet.

My drivers are fine - but I like have spare drivers on speakers like these.
Are you running the Compositions Preludes or Oveture ?
I had the Preludes, and by now, they are doomed The foam on the midrange drivers will be wearing out, if it isn't already.
post #248 of 252 Unread Today, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
Are you running the Compositions Preludes or Oveture ?
I had the Preludes, and by now, they are doomed The foam on the midrange drivers will be wearing out, if it isn't already.
Mine have been previously refoamed, and sound great. I preferred them over my modified Klipsch Cornwalls with ALK crossovers, Crites Tweeters, and Fostex supertweeters. The Klipsch have a little more air on the top end with the Fostex, but they beat the Klipsch in image depth and width. They also go deeper than my Cornwalls did and measure flatter. I've always had a drop-off between 500 and 650hz on my Cornwalls - that's why Klipsch mover the woofer higher in the Cornwall III (but they use an inferior horn compared to the 1's). The Compositions are serving me very well on music as well as movies!!!

If they can sound better than my re-foamed ones...I don't know if I could even imagine that other than the top end air....but the top end detail, all of that is there. I looked for replacement drivers because I love these speakers and I don't know how many times they can be re-foamed. The current job should last me into my late 60's if I live that long and they measure and sound good ....so life is good

P.S. I'm running the Prelude P-FR's but I also use a Composition Overture 1 as a Center channel.... used my Yamaha RX-A3020's center channel DSP Dialog Lift ....seamless!

Last edited by prerich; Today at 09:18 AM.
post #249 of 252 Unread Today, 09:19 AM

I have the Overture 1 oriented vertically.
post #250 of 252 Unread Today, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka7niq View Post
Old Prelude PFR's are a thing of the past now, because of the foam Infinity chose to use on the drivers
I tried to save my Preludes by having a speaker repair shop here in Tampa butcher mine.
Unless the exact same foam is used to refoam a speaker, seldom will it ever be the same, or sound the same again.

My advice ? Remember the Infinity PFR for what it was
Do you still have your P-FR's? If you do - we may need to "talk" if you no longer want them
post #251 of 252 Unread Today, 09:24 AM

I plan on leaving the Preludes, 4 overture 1's, QPS's, and AE Subs to one son, and the three Klipsch Cornwalls, 4 Definitive Technology BP surrounds, and 2 SVS 16-46 PC's to the other.
post #252 of 252 Unread Today, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Do you still have your P-FR's? If you do - we may need to "talk" if you no longer want them
They are long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Infinity , Infinity Alpha 50 Floorstanding Speaker , Infinity Beta 40 Loudspeakers , Infinity Center Channel Speaker , Infinity Entra One Speaker 2 Way , infinity interlude speaker , Infinity Ows 1 , Infinity Primus P363 Three Way Dual Infinity Floor Standing Speaker , Infinity Primus Pc351 Center Speaker , Infinity Primus Two Way Pc251 Speaker
Gear in this thread