Paradigm Signature S1 (v2/v3) vs Gallo Reference Strada - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Due to WAF and space constraints (live in an apt and system is in LR, front three speakers will be in millwork with no room to breathe behind and above) and a a desire for high quality sound, we have narrowed the speakers to the Paradigm Signature S1 (v2/v3) vs Gallo Reference Strada which I can get generally for the same price (maybe the Paradigm may be a bit cheaper, but cost is not the primary driver).

Anybody demoed the two (Can't find anybody who carries either speaker at the local paradigm or gallo dealers and need to finalize the speaker). Which do you think is the better speaker for movies (blue ray), high-def TV (80%) and 10% gaming, 10% music.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The Paradigm is for real - great speaker. The Gallo I haven't listened to and not for lack of trying. I am skeptical of Gallo at this price point. Why don't Gallo dealers stock their spendy stuff where you can demo it next to the competition? Why aren't there reputable reviews? Why do their "proprietary secrets" make me think they are high-end Bose? I'd love to be wrong on this b/c they sure do look cool...

Ron
post #3 of 20 Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

The Paradigm is for real - great speaker. The Gallo I haven't listened to and not for lack of trying. I am skeptical of Gallo at this price point. Why don't Gallo dealers stock their spendy stuff where you can demo it next to the competition? Why aren't there reputable reviews? Why do their "proprietary secrets" make me think they are high-end Bose? I'd love to be wrong on this b/c they sure do look cool...

Ron

My conern too and hence leaning towards Paradigm. Although in fairness, the paradigm dealers here do not have the signature series for demo. Studio, yes, but not Signature.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I heard Gallo Micro Divas and they are the real deal in terms of super WAF friendly and sound better than most. I can't comment on the new reference strada.

There have been a several reviews for the Paradigm S1, and if you read them you'd be convienced that they are the ultimate lifestyle speaker.

I will offer that I explored this area and there are two other loudspeaker manufacturers that will compete well with your choices. Even though it might cause you some initial confusion (more choices) in the end you will be the most informed to make your decision.

Read about/Listen to Professional Montor Company (PMC) and Acoustic Transducter Company (ATC). They are used in professional and consumer markets and offer active and passive designs. Their monitors fall right into the same price range as Paradigm S1 and Gallo Reference Strada. All well reviewed. Google it and search here.

McIntosh Labs! What am I listening to?
post #5 of 20 Old 01-17-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o View Post

I heard Gallo Micro Divas and they are the real deal in terms of super WAF friendly and sound better than most. I can't comment on the new reference strada.

There have been a several reviews for the Paradigm S1, and if you read them you'd be convienced that they are the ultimate lifestyle speaker.

I will offer that I explored this area and there are two other loudspeaker manufacturers that will compete well with your choices. Even though it might cause you some initial confusion (more choices) in the end you will be the most informed to make your decision.

Read about/Listen to Professional Montor Company (PMC) and Acoustic Transducter Company (ATC). They are used in professional and consumer markets and offer active and passive designs. Their monitors fall right into the same price range as Paradigm S1 and Gallo Reference Strada. All well reviewed. Google it and search here.

Thanks for the suggestions. still leaning towards the paradigm
post #6 of 20 Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

I can't blame you, I'd lean that way too. Really do some google'ing. I think 6moons.com has a factory tour bit about Gallo. You get to see what's inside of those Gallo Reference Strada's.

My opinion it looks like inexpensive parts- and largely there good sound comes from the prinicple of baffle diffraction.. in that there is none, with the sphere shape. It's clever, but we're talking aluminum that is damped with rubber, and then foam behind a high excursion-fullrage driver. The CDT isn't as fantastic looking as it's described by Gallo either- yet gives superior off axis response. So in its design it covers some really important issues in loudspeaker design. It's also done with the bare minimum of parts. It's a well designed product from audio and a business standpoint- caveat with a lean towards business. i'll add that Gallo uses the same drivers across all of there lines.

Paradigm is a little different, they are a solid loudspeaker company and the S1 has all of their efforts. Its their top range mini monitor. It has to out-do all bookshelves in it's price range and then some. Many reviewers claim that is the case. There is even a review with S1 opened up and you can see all the guts that make it what it is. From my viewpoint it is a better made product with extremely high quality parts. But another aluminum with rubber damped enclosure, and foam inside. It has been reported to be flat from 80Hz- 12KHz, like +/- 1dB flat--see that same review article.

If you are after superior lifestyle* speakers, I don't think anyone has the S1 beat. Just add the Signature Sub 25 ;-)

Did you research ATC and PMC, both have postive reviews in Dec Stereophile**?

* meant as your speakers don't add any negative factors to your room, your use, and those who have to encouter them. Not to tie them to the "other" Lifestyle speaker company ;-)

** Believe it or NOT Stereophile has upped their ante to compete with many of the efforts of this forum and many like it in order to provide the "no bull this is great" quality that is found here. Even better is Absolute Sound.

post #7 of 20 Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I can't blame you, I'd lean that way too.
If you are after superior lifestyle* speakers, I don't think anyone has the S1 beat. Just add the Signature Sub 25 ;-)

Did you research ATC and PMC, both have postive reviews in Dec Stereophile**?

pairing them with a fathom 113 (piano black). because of a corner its not visible from 98% of the living room, so able to swing that.

now to find the adp1 in piano black (v2 closeouts demos).

did research a number of speakers, including the ATC and PMC, but the paradigm scores well on the critical criteria - great sound with high WAF.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, Looks like your going to purchase a pair of Paradigm Signature S-1. Why not get all 5 for each channel. As a result, you maintain the identical sonic qualities across all FULLRANGE channels? It's what the professionals mix with. Here is my reference. I would also mention it's less expensive.

Great Subwoofer, That is my pick. Huge bass from a neat, clean, and above all SMALL enclosure.

Can you share what your current home theater / music set-up is?

post #9 of 20 Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay, Looks like your going to purchase a pair of Paradigm Signature S-1. Why not get all 5 for each channel. As a result, you maintain the identical sonic qualities across all FULLRANGE channels? It's what the professionals mix with. Here is my reference. I would also mention it's less expensive.

Great Subwoofer, That is my pick. Huge bass from a neat, clean, and above all SMALL enclosure.

Can you share what your current home theater / music set-up is?

Just placed an order for a pair of piano black s1s and a c1. since the place i bought my speakers had the adp1 only in cherry, still on the lookout for a used or demo or new adp1 (pair) v2 or v3.

Current setup is orb mod-2s (when i bought them, high WAF and limited trust on my own knowledge of speakers and hence want to limit $ were a factor). The orbs will move to the BR along with the super 8. the paradigm will be paired with the fathom f113 in the living room and possibly one more sub and the adp1s when i get them.

Did not go with all s1s given the primary use is HT/ TV? Would most people recommend s-1s for rear (right next to wall and sitting position) or the adp-1s?

Thanks
post #10 of 20 Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaykkr View Post

Just placed an order for a pair of piano black s1s and a c1. since the place i bought my speakers had the adp1 only in cherry, still on the lookout for a used or demo or new adp1 (pair) v2 or v3.

Current setup is orb mod-2s (when i bought them, high WAF and limited trust on my own knowledge of speakers and hence want to limit $ were a factor). The orbs will move to the BR along with the super 8. the paradigm will be paired with the fathom f113 in the living room and possibly one more sub and the adp1s when i get them.

Did not go with all s1s given the primary use is HT/ TV? Would most people recommend s-1s for rear (right next to wall and sitting position) or the adp-1s?

Thanks

Are you saying that the C-1 was easier for you decide on since you going to put under or above you TV?

That's fine. I would have had the same 3 across the front, they are so short anyway.. but it's your choice.

Look at the reference I gave you. Rear speakers should be direct radiators and behind you. Ideally all speakers equidistant from the "sweet spot", but most receivers can compensate for speaker distance.

Now, my expirence, when I was dating my wife- she had a Home Theater in her house ( how could I refuse a woman like that) and she had it set-up right---rear speaker behind the couch.

in my small HT room in my house I had the rear speakers almost above the listening position and I thought that was okay.

Well, the Surround effects were much more prounced in her HT than mine. Often at her place, I found myself glancing to the back of the room because I heard something.. "oh that was the movie.. wow!"

Now, we have one house, :-) , and two Hometheaters, but this time I made sure that surrounds were definately behind me.

hope my long windedness help.. anecdotes sometimes help too. :-)

post #11 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

I've owned the S4 (v1), 3.0 and 3.1 and have had the S2 (v2) in the same room for comparison.

This idea of comparison via part quality is not, IMO, the best way to judge the end result. I will agree that the Paradigm speaker are built well, but no better than other high end brands. Triad speakers are more solid with better drivers than either Paradigm or Gallo.

For me, the v1 Signatures were a step up from the Studio line but still had that un-natural Hi Fi sound (etched highs) from an otherwise terrific speaker (good imaging, etc.). In comparison, the Gallos sound more natural and have superior imaging by a wide margin. The Paradigms probably are more technically accurate and measure better but the Gallos just seem to get the music right more so than the Signatures.

The v2 improved upon the v1 and sounded better but I still prefer the Gallo sound. As always, YMMV.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob53 View Post

This idea of comparison via part quality is not, IMO, the best way to judge the end result.

If you going to say that, you need to provide a counter. Your opinion to the best way, in rank order, to pass judgment of a loudspeaker.

Sure you could set an example of some speaker made from XXX and XXX, high quality materials, and poorly executed design.

From the stand point that there is no absolutes, given high quality material one will produce a better design than low quality materials used in the same design.

In otherwords, if either company used thicker "wall" material, more mass inside of the enclosure, stiffer drivers, and stiffer baskets then the speaker will reduce or control unwanted distortion as a result of higher quality materials used in the design.

While certainly two different designs, Paradigm and Gallo, the are fundamentally identical. Sealed, Low baffle diffraction and great dispersion across all frequencies.

I can't tell you which one is better. Still, evidence of a better design sums to a better result, with fundametals in superior materials.

I pass judgement in this order. Design, Build Quality, Material Quality, and then I will take interest to actually listening to the speaker.

Both speakers are great, but consider the Gallo's are more expensive, one must break down everything to level the decision matrix.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Bill,

Not sure why you say they are fundamentally identical...

Enclosure:
- Gallo uses an all metal unconventional enclosure that isolates each driver.
- Paradigm uses an MDF box with a nice veneer without driver isolation.

Drivers:
-Gallo uses a very different highly dispersive tweeter, and carbon fiber mids
-Paradigm uses more traditional drivers that they manufacture.

Crossover:
-Gallo has no crossover above the woofer/mid section.
-Paradigm uses a more traditional crossover design

Fundamental design:
-Gallo attempts to be a time and phase coherent design.
-Paradigm attempts to be neither

Ports:
-Gallo is unported.
-Paradigm S4 v1's were ported as were the S2 v2's. Not sure why you say they are sealed designs.

They are very different speakers in design, execution, and in performance. To me, the Gallos sound much more natural. Paradigm makes terrific speakers but I preferred the Gallos.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

You need check your facts.

S1 is aluminum. It's got a veneer.

S1 uses a beryllium tweeter, very exotic.

and you never answered my question.

Most of all if you looking for a Gallo vs. Paradigm thread, go post in the friday night fights in a separate thread.

Both a great.

post #15 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Bill,

You are correct, I was referring to every Sig speaker except the S1 which is metal. Since we are just speaking about the S1, my apologies...

As for the "exotic" driver - it is vapor deposited Beryllium over a traditional tweeter. That's hardly exotic. The Gallo tweeter is vastly different and is a far more interesting execution than a traditional tweeter in my opinion.

As stated above, both are great speakers. I've owned many Paradigm speakers starting with the Studio 100 v2's... To me, the Gallo speakers sound better.

I chose to not answer your question as debates over subjectivity are pointless so let's stop there...
post #16 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the various views and suggestions. Thats why I like this forum. We tell it as we think its best.

Big question (and I will post it in the Paradigm owner's thread too) - Given that my seating area (couch) is only 6 inches from the back wall and one side is open (no sidewall until atleast 20 ft away), the rear surrounds will need to be right behind the couch (at the two ends of the couch on stands) or on the rear wall, should I go with the apd1s for the surrounds in a 5.1 system or the s1s for the surrounds (to complement the s1,c1 fronts/centre)?

Any help will be appreciated. Has anyone experimented with both (at home or a demo)? Thanks in advance
post #17 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Bob, truce.

ajaykkr,

move your TV opposite the open area, place surrounds on stands, and ensure that they are behind you or you will lose the effect. Bipole/Dipole or direct radiator in that proximity will not fix the problem. There is also the posibility of wall or cieling mount.. it's just more work. Post pics or drawings.

post #18 of 20 Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaykkr View Post

) Given that my seating area (couchuld I go with the apd1s for the surrounds in a 5.1 system or the s1s for the surrounds (to complement the s1,c1 fronts/centre)?

Any help will be appreciated. Has anyone experimented with both (at home or a demo)? Thanks in advance

adp's
post #19 of 20 Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Put in a good setup the Stradas are just unbelivable and can hold their ground against very expensive stuff if you crave neutrality, dynamics and pure music quality. I recommend an audition.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

jakja83,

So as it turns out I now own some JL Audio F113s & I am now where I was back when I started writing in this thread topic.

I'm going to audition some Paradigm Signature S1 speakers. I found that Paradigm happens to be the most accessible brand out of the recommendations that I gave.

Any updates or photos of your system? Any help on stands or wall mounts?

Thanks

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page