AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   infinity tss-500 v energy take 5 v n?n advice (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1217983-infinity-tss-500-v-energy-take-5-v-n-n-advice.html)

daikon1 01-17-2010 03:10 PM

Hello everyone.

In advance I would like to thank all of you who have taken time to read this and maybe help out. Thank you!

the short:

Just purchased an onkyo ht-rc160 an am lookinh for speakers to pair up with it for around 300.00.

I am considering the infinity tss-500chr and the energy take 5 package with the energy 8" sub. I am open to other suggestions for a 5.1/ 7.e around this price too.

the energys people love but I have not found a review on the infinitys-can anyone chime in? My cost on the energy is abou 40.00 cheaper btw.

thank you!

the long

I have a yamaha htib that came with a htr-6140 and a yamaha ns-ap7800m 5.1

I love the system but the hdmi switching does not always work and it sometimes makes my screen go pink so back it is going...

I saw at and picked up from costco an onkyo ht-rc610 and infinity tss-500

I have not opened either as I wante to read up on reviews first but that's the problem- I can't find much on the infinity set

does anyone have any advice? I could save a few with the energy set or spend a little more to go with a better set- any advice?

thank you so much!

afrogt 01-17-2010 03:59 PM

I would connect the Infinity's to your Yamaha system if you want to test them out.

Of course, Costco takes everything back no questions asked so why not open up both the receiver and the speakers?

You're probably not going to find a tss500 vs energy take 5 comparison anywhere. The Energy is one of the mos popular satellite systems and has several threads on AVSForum. Haven't really seen anything like that about the TSS-500.

daikon1 01-17-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I would connect the Infinity's to your Yamaha system if you want to test them out.

Of course, Costco takes everything back no questions asked so why not open up both the receiver and the speakers?

You're probably not going to find a tss500 vs energy take 5 comparison anywhere. The Energy is one of the mos popular satellite systems and has several threads on AVSForum. Haven't really seen anything like that about the TSS-500.

thanks Afro,

and that's the problem- I can't find anything on the infinity tss f@@ at all. Before I open them I would love to know if they, the energys, the yamahas, or what would be best. I don't really want to abuse the costco return policy.... I am guessing someone has to know what these speakers are like....

RonaldoCombs 01-17-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikon1 View Post

thanks Afro,

and that's the problem- I can't find anything on the infinity tss f@@ at all. Before I open them I would love to know if they, the energys, the yamahas, or what would be best. I don't really want to abuse the costco return policy.... I am guessing someone has to know what these speakers are like....

I like the brand but those Infinitys only go down to 150HZ, that's really all I need to know. Takes go down to 120, still not low enough (80 is where things start getting interesting) but an audible improvement.

Ron

daikon1 01-17-2010 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs View Post

I like the brand but those Infinitys only go down to 150HZ, that's really all I need to know. Takes go down to 120, still not low enough (80 is where things start getting interesting) but an audible improvement.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

So what you are saying is that the energy and infinity sets are both a step down from the yamahas that I have now, right?

Also, you say I should go for a set that goes down to c0- what do you recommend in this price range?

thank you!

RonaldoCombs 01-17-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daikon1 View Post

Thanks Ron,

So what you are saying is that the energy and infinity sets are both a step down from the yamahas that I have now, right?

Also, you say I should go for a set that goes down to c0- what do you recommend in this price range?

thank you!

I have never heard a yamaha system and can't really tell what the specs are on that system (I only saw "system" specs which include the "sub")

I suspect that the Infinity system has a better sub... basically, it looks like you are replacing 6 of one for half dozen of another.

I would lean to deciding on something you like and work on upgrading over time. Energy RC series and Infinity Primus series are both pretty affordable options that sound good. There is also a ton of information about them. I would probably start with the front three speakers, then the sub, then the satellites as money permits.

Ron

Knucklehead90 01-18-2010 12:16 AM

I just bought a pair of Infinity TSS 750 speakers for my zone II in the exercise room. They have the same tweeter as the Primus line and sound pretty good - but there isn't any bass. Not a problem for me as I'm just piping in radio or tv audio while I do my daily jaunt on the treadmill. They sound pretty good - especially since I got the pair brand new from Harman's ebay store - $30 shipped is almost like stealing! I'd have been willing to pay more had I known they would sound as good as they do.

If I see more come up I may pick up a pair for high and wides or rear surrounds. Especially at $15 each.