official danley sound labs thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #271 of 347 Old 05-11-2015, 07:53 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post
The project has taken a "back seat" to other products we are working on, but we will be showing (and playing) a "first version" of the cabinet at the Infocomm show in Orland in June in our demo room.

You don't need a pass to get into the demo rooms (at least ours)

Basically here is a description. We took the Sm60F horn mold-modified it (closed off the ports and put spacer rings for the different woofers that have a different mounting pattern than the standard SM60F woofers-so new holes were drilled)

The crossover is VERY INTENSE and has flat phase and flat amplitude from around 100hz to 10Khz if I remember correctly. It may be wider than that.

The cabinet is also a tad larger and not trap shaped. We cannot get the new woofers with the spacers in the old cabinet.

We will NOT be selling this version of the cabinet-it is very labor intensive to modify the cabinet and build the crossover.

It is more of a "proof of concept"-which it works well at.

The commercial version will either use more woofers or a larger size woofer. The horn mold will obviously be redone to accommodate the new woofer format.

It is all a matter of time and money. Horn molds are not cheap to design and have built. We do the actual "pouring of the mold" in our North Carolina building facility.

There is interest in this product-along with interest in a number of other products we are working on-so it is just a matter of "what is in line next" type of thing.

I have no idea where the price will be (that is not my department) but the crossover will cost more and the woofers will cost more.

And then there is the matter of spreading out the cost of the mold/design over the number of units sold type of thing (again-not my department).

I will say this-the sound is STUNNING and has something that just draws your attention to the detail in the sound.

I don't off hand remember the current low freq cutoff, but seem to remember it is in the 30ish Hz area. Much lower than the normal SM60F.

The tradeoff however is a lower sensitivity than the Sm60F. But the SM60F has power to spare in a home setup. It was designed to be used in MUCH larger rooms and with live bands.

So the lower sensitivity should not be a problem for most people. Depending on the woofers used-the power capacity will go up.

I hope that helps describe it a bit.

BTW the current model # we are calling it the "Studio 60".

The reason being that the main intent is for very accurate studio monitors.
Do you think these will give the SH50 a run for the money when it comes down to HT type installs? The 30hz-ish bottom end really interests me to have the capability of full range stereo listening....

Quote:
I don't understand your comments. The parts are not "randomly strewn" all over the place.

There are carefully placed in order to get then into the available space and to avoid inductive coupling between the coils. Trust me-I spent A LOT of time on the component placement.

The "problem" is that due to the design of the SH50 and the ability to make it seamlessly array with other SH50s, there is VERY LITTLE room to mount crossover components inside the cabinet. So they are placed around the various "obstacles" that make up the design of the horn and the mounting.

You also said there is no "board". What do you call the green circuit board that they are all mounted on? That is VERY traditional-at least as far as I am concerned.

Maybe you mean something else.

Yes the SM60F uses a smaller board with less parts, but the response (phase and amplitude) are not as smooth as the SH50.
My apologies Ivan, as I have the absolute utmost respect for the design and know the space constraints are why it looks like it does. I meant absolutely NO negativity there. My comment I guess was based on the fact you can look through the port holes and see some inductors if you are close up to it, and having the XO right there beside everything else is a little different than most other speakers....but once again, there is no "Most other" about danley products. Still in a league of their own IMO I enjoyed my SH50's quite a bit yesterday doing some demos for the whole family for Mother's Day!
mikela likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Thanks Ivan! That sounds like a very interesting design for sure. I can't wait to hear it.

Any talk of an active version or is this planned strictly as a passive?

Will the design remain a 60 deg. dispersion? Having owned the SM60F, I would prefer to have a 70 degree horn. just in case you're taking suggestions.
When it all happens-there will be an active version as well.

The beautiful thing about the synergy horn is that changing patterns is pretty easy (excepting the price of the mold) since the drivers are all on the same horn.

So we could make any pattern we want-within certain limits.

We used the 60 degree for the prototype (to see if it could be done) because that is what we already had on hand.

There are advantages to a wider coverage-and advantages to keeping it where it is.

The actual pattern for the final product will be part of the discussion

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #273 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Do you think these will give the SH50 a run for the money when it comes down to HT type installs? The 30hz-ish bottom end really interests me to have the capability of full range stereo listening....

My apologies Ivan, as I have the absolute utmost respect for the design and know the space constraints are why it looks like it does. I meant absolutely NO negativity there. My comment I guess was based on the fact you can look through the port holes and see some inductors if you are close up to it, and having the XO right there beside everything else is a little different than most other speakers....but once again, there is no "Most other" about danley products. Still in a league of their own IMO I enjoyed my SH50's quite a bit yesterday doing some demos for the whole family for Mother's Day!
I imagine the "studio monitors" would be more popular-specifically sonically and physically smaller-than the SH50s.

However they won't go as loud. But the Sh50s were never intended for home type usage. They were designed to have the output capability for auditoriums/concerts.

So in the home-they are just loafing along.

The studio speakers should have more than enough output for home setups, with flatter amplitude and phase than the SH50-which is our current "flagship" sonically.

The current versions of the Sh50 have the crossover a little less "chaotic" than the one in the photo. That one is from the first year or so of Danley.

I have enlarged the board a bit-we have removed the wood pieces near the port-so that give a little more room for the parts to "spread out". But they are still "crammed" a little.

But it does the job-there is no place else to put the crossover that has enough room. Very little empty space inside the cabinet.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #274 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
The project has taken a "back seat" to other products we are working on, but we will be showing (and playing) a "first version" of the cabinet at the Infocomm show in Orland in June in our demo room.

Basically here is a description. We took the Sm60F horn mold-modified it (closed off the ports and put spacer rings for the different woofers that have a different mounting pattern than the standard SM60F woofers-so new holes were drilled)

The crossover is VERY INTENSE and has flat phase and flat amplitude from around 100hz to 10Khz if I remember correctly. It may be wider than that.

The cabinet is also a tad larger and not trap shaped. We cannot get the new woofers with the spacers in the old cabinet.

We will NOT be selling this version of the cabinet-it is very labor intensive to modify the cabinet and build the crossover.

The commercial version will either use more woofers or a larger size woofer. The horn mold will obviously be redone to accommodate the new woofer format.

It is all a matter of time and money. Horn molds are not cheap to design and have built. We do the actual "pouring of the mold" in our North Carolina building facility.

There is interest in this product-along with interest in a number of other products we are working on-so it is just a matter of "what is in line next" type of thing.

I have no idea where the price will be (that is not my department) but the crossover will cost more and the woofers will cost more.

And then there is the matter of spreading out the cost of the mold/design over the number of units sold type of thing (again-not my department).

I will say this-the sound is STUNNING and has something that just draws your attention to the detail in the sound.

I don't off hand remember the current low freq cutoff, but seem to remember it is in the 30ish Hz area. Much lower than the normal SM60F.

The tradeoff however is a lower sensitivity than the Sm60F. But the SM60F has power to spare in a home setup. It was designed to be used in MUCH larger rooms and with live bands.

So the lower sensitivity should not be a problem for most people. Depending on the woofers used-the power capacity will go up.

WOW!!

To this day the best demo of a speaker I have had would have to be the SM60F, so much I bought a pair. @beastaudio could attest to that
They did come at a bad time as I was in the middle of a theater build. I know with some tinkering around I did not get the same fuzzy
feeling I did at the demo at Gorilla's house. I should have held on to them, but sold them off as the money came in handy while I was building my room.

My only problem is I have a small theater room and not sure if they would have the space to breath or be the speakers they are meant to be.
@Ivan Beaver what would you say about the new 60's being placed at about 10' from the chairs in a 16LX14W room? Could they work?
I do know that I am very excited to hear the "Studio 60" I may fly down to Florida just to hear them.

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 05-13-2015 at 06:56 AM.
post #275 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 07:19 AM
Point Source

Quote:
I imagine the "studio monitors" would be more popular-specifically sonically and physically smaller-than the SH50s.

However they won't go as loud. But the Sh50s were never intended for home type usage. They were designed to have the output capability for auditoriums/concerts.

So in the home-they are just loafing along.

The studio speakers should have more than enough output for home setups, with flatter amplitude and phase than the SH50-which is our current "flagship" sonically.

The current versions of the Sh50 have the crossover a little less "chaotic" than the one in the photo. That one is from the first year or so of Danley.

I have enlarged the board a bit-we have removed the wood pieces near the port-so that give a little more room for the parts to "spread out". But they are still "crammed" a little.

But it does the job-there is no place else to put the crossover that has enough room. Very little empty space inside the cabinet.

This just sounds awesome. It will be a rough day for me when I let go of these 50's, but for what seems to be developing with the Studio 60, I just see myself having to try them out I have made the 50's nice and cozy stacked between my two sub boxes on each side, and from a aesthetic standpoint, I absolutely love how everything "stacks up" in the front of my theater. I think I could manage a redesign for the Studio 60's that would look nice though
post #276 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
WOW!!

To this day the best demo of a speaker I have had would have to be the SM60F, so much I bought a pair. @beastaudio could attest to that
They did come at a bad time as I was in the middle of a theater build. I know with some tinkering around I did not get the same fuzzy
feeling I did at the demo at Gorilla's house. I should have held on to them, but sold them off as the money came in handy while I was building my room.

My only problem is I have a small theater room and not sure if they would have the space to breath or be the speakers they are meant to be.
@Ivan Beaver what would you say about the new 60's being placed at about 10' from the chairs in a 16LX14W room? Could they work?
I do know that I am very excited to hear the "Studio 60" I may fly down to Florida just to hear them.
Florida?!?!?! They poured the mold for this guy about 20 minutes from my house at QMS. Gainsville, GA is their main facility, not Gainsville, FL. That is only about 2.5 hours from me driving. I am down there at least twice a year actually I just need to make time to head to the facility one of these trips.

Hey Ivan, if I came through, would I be able to demo the prototypes?
post #277 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If I'm understanding this correctly, you took a SM60F and did the following:

1) Instead of using a ported alignment for the woofer section, you're using a sealed alignment. I'm guessing that this was done to improve the low frequency phase response, since there's a 180 degree phase rotation at the tuning frequency of a vented box, while a sealed box doesn't rotate (as much.)

2) Since you're using sealed woofers for the low frequency section, the efficiency suffered. But for a commercial release, you could offset by using more woofers. For instance, instead of using two 8" woofers, you could use four. Or perhaps use a couple of tens, or even twelves if they'll fit.

3) Tom tweaked the crossover to improve the phase and frequency response.

4) The woofers used for the low frequency section are different. (You mentioned that the bolt pattern was different.)
post #278 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Ivan,

If you're only going to sell a few hundred of the "Studio 60s", you might skip the mold and 3D print the enclosure.

My printer can only make horns that are 6" x 6" x 6" so my results aren't ready for prime time. But if you guys bought a proper 3D printer you could print the entire thing.

There's some other advantages to 3D printing which aren't immediately obvious:

1) You can achieve absolutely insane tolerances. For instance, when I went from working in wood to working in 3D, I was able to "pack" the drivers much tighter together. This is important for a Synergy Horn because it allows you to optimize the response in that critical midrange octave.

2) Synergy horns have a TON of fasteners in them. For instance, an SH50 will have nearly a hundred. This is because there are so many drivers, and all those drivers have mounting points. When you print in 3D you avoid the drudgery of drilling a zillion holes for that. That might sound like a small thing, but it's not; when I've assembled Synergy horns I sometimes spent an entire day just screwing everything together and wiring it.

3) With a 3D printer you can offer a wider variety of options. For instance, you can easily offer a cabinet with 40 degrees of coverage and another cabinet with sixty degrees of coverage, without making a mold for each.

4) You can print your own phase plugs. This allows you to do things similar to what JBL does with their midrange compression drivers.

It looks like there are 3D printers that are capable of printing a SM60F for under $5000 : http://3dmonstr.com/?q=3DMonstr-printers
Hydrazine likes this.
post #279 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Florida?!?!?! They poured the mold for this guy about 20 minutes from my house at QMS. Gainsville, GA is their main facility, not Gainsville, FL. That is only about 2.5 hours from me driving. I am down there at least twice a year actually I just need to make time to head to the facility one of these trips.

@beastaudio He said that they will be demoing these in Orlando Florida at Infocomm in June. They have a demo room with free admission. If I can get away for a couple of days I might grab a quick flight down. They run flights to Orland all day long out of AC airport for like $99 bucks. Any interest in going?

http://www.infocommshow.org

Quote:
This just sounds awesome. It will be a rough day for me when I let go of these 50's, but for what seems to be developing with the Studio 60, I just see myself having to try them out I have made the 50's nice and cozy stacked between my two sub boxes on each side, and from a aesthetic standpoint, I absolutely love how everything "stacks up" in the front of my theater. I think I could manage a redesign for the Studio 60's that would look nice though
I like the look of your set up and it actually looks great stacked! However if the Studio 60's sound that good, it will be time to unstack and fit the new 60's in

Last edited by Reefdvr27; 05-13-2015 at 02:27 PM.
post #280 of 347 Old 05-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
@beastaudio He said that they will be demoing these in Orlando Florida at Infocomm in June. They have a demo room with free admission. If I can get away for a couple of days I might grab a quick flight down. They run flights to Orland all day long out of AC airport for like $99 bucks. Any interest in going?

http://www.infocommshow.org

I like the look of your set up and it actually looks great stacked! However if the Studio 60's sound that good, it will be time to unstack and fit the new 60's in
Got it sir! Yea I agree since the S60's are geared more towards studio/home use, it will be hard not to grab some up! Man, I am stoked now, I hope these get bumped up to a "sooner" rather than "later" production time for some reason. I know Danley's bread and butter is stadium/church type installs but these could be a real hands-down world beater for HT useage. Heck, the 60f and sh50 type horns already are in my opinion!
post #281 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik6 View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly, you took a SM60F and did the following:

1) Instead of using a ported alignment for the woofer section, you're using a sealed alignment. I'm guessing that this was done to improve the low frequency phase response, since there's a 180 degree phase rotation at the tuning frequency of a vented box, while a sealed box doesn't rotate (as much.)

2) Since you're using sealed woofers for the low frequency section, the efficiency suffered. But for a commercial release, you could offset by using more woofers. For instance, instead of using two 8" woofers, you could use four. Or perhaps use a couple of tens, or even twelves if they'll fit.

3) Tom tweaked the crossover to improve the phase and frequency response.

4) The woofers used for the low frequency section are different. (You mentioned that the bolt pattern was different.)
The woofers are different. They are a custom driver made for us. We use them in other products (SM100B and TH28) and they are different than the ones in the SM60F.

Lower sensitivity, but they also have MUCH more excursion and go much lower.

Tom did not "tweak the crossover", it was started from scratch, with a different goal in mind than the SM60F

It is a VERY INTENSIVE crossover.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #282 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik6 View Post

Ivan,

If you're only going to sell a few hundred of the "Studio 60s", you might skip the mold and 3D print the enclosure.

My printer can only make horns that are 6" x 6" x 6" so my results aren't ready for prime time. But if you guys bought a proper 3D printer you could print the entire thing.

There's some other advantages to 3D printing which aren't immediately obvious:

1) You can achieve absolutely insane tolerances. For instance, when I went from working in wood to working in 3D, I was able to "pack" the drivers much tighter together. This is important for a Synergy Horn because it allows you to optimize the response in that critical midrange octave.

2) Synergy horns have a TON of fasteners in them. For instance, an SH50 will have nearly a hundred. This is because there are so many drivers, and all those drivers have mounting points. When you print in 3D you avoid the drudgery of drilling a zillion holes for that. That might sound like a small thing, but it's not; when I've assembled Synergy horns I sometimes spent an entire day just screwing everything together and wiring it.

3) With a 3D printer you can offer a wider variety of options. For instance, you can easily offer a cabinet with 40 degrees of coverage and another cabinet with sixty degrees of coverage, without making a mold for each.

4) You can print your own phase plugs. This allows you to do things similar to what JBL does with their midrange compression drivers.

It looks like there are 3D printers that are capable of printing a SM60F for under $5000 : http://3dmonstr.com/?q=3DMonstr-printers
The horn on the Sm60 is NOT like your normal horns you find on other products.

It is MUCH THICKER and heavier/denser etc. It is capable of supporting pretty heavy woofers.

We are looking into a couple of different things when we go into production-including a hybrid horn.

The 3D printing I have seen is find for some quick testing (we already have a couple of 3D printers), but to make it thick enough would require A LOT of time and material.

Just give us some time-we have a lot of other new products we are working on that will be at the Infocomm show in June.

Bigger and smaller products.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #283 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now the prototypes are in the original SM60F cabinets.

We will be making some new cabinets in the next couple of weeks that will allow more room for the woofers-so they can get louder and go lower.

Those should be done by the second week of June.

Anybody is welcome to come by-but it is always best to make an appointment with Cooper (770-535-0204) or Cooper@danleysoundlabs.com just to make sure the products wanting to be demoed are in the office that day. We do a lot of off site demos.

And to make sure somebody will be there that knows how to operate the demo room.
Hydrazine likes this.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #284 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Point Source

Sounds good to me! Thanks again for all the info and updates
post #285 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Would like to see the new Studio 60 crossed with the SH96HO. Don't want something with less output than the SH50s or less sensitivity. Also don't want or need extension below 60-80Hz.

Ivan what do you think of the SH96HO in biamp mode compared to the SH50s?

Which one has better phase response? There is no phase response plot in the SH96HO PDF.
post #286 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre View Post
Would like to see the new Studio 60 crossed with the SH96HO. Don't want something with less output than the SH50s or less sensitivity. Also don't want or need extension below 60-80Hz.

Which one has better phase response? There is no phase response plot in the SH96HO PDF.
It seems the Studio 60's are geared toward full range use. If you are crossing an SH50 at 60-80Hz and can linearize the response and phase using Dirac or Trinnov then I am not sure you will gain much. These won't match the sensitivity of an SH50 or SM60F.
post #287 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
It seems the Studio 60's are geared toward full range use. If you are crossing an SH50 at 60-80Hz and can linearize the response and phase using Dirac or Trinnov then I am not sure you will gain much. These won't match the sensitivity of an SH50 or SM60F.
The 60f will be on par up top with the S60 if using the same CD. That extension is much better than the sh50 has. It just seems the S60 will be a great full range option for home use, with already more linear response and phase out of the box. Of course you could cater a response using dirac or Trinnov, but that is just one more step that some might not want to take, rather just plug n play!
post #288 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The 60f will be on par up top with the S60 if using the same CD.
If I am reading Ivan correctly, they will be tailoring the sensitivity down to accommodate the new woofers.
post #289 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 07:32 AM
Point Source

Quote:
If I am reading Ivan correctly, they will be tailoring the sensitivity down to accommodate the new woofers.
Yes, but if they use that same CD, the extension is quite nice....up to 24khz. My point was the SH50 doesn't extend that high, as was intended in the design in the first place.
mikela likes this.
post #290 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am looking to gain output,sensitivity and a wider coverage pattern which the SH96HO provides. In biamp mode its response is also flat in the PDF file. A sealed version that gets rid of the phase shift because of the port and also the improvements in the crossover that the Studio 60 implements would be welcome additions, hence my comment. Have also tried plugging the ports of the SH50s and it certainly helps a lot but the trade off in output is a little difficult for me personally. The Studio 60 is definitely not a speaker for me but I was hoping for some of its features to be implemented in the SH96HO which would make a speaker that I would be interested in. If anyone reading this owns SH50s I highly recommend plugging the ports if you don't need too much extension and can sacrifice the output, I doubt anyone who does this will be disappointed with the sound quality but if they are it would be easy to unplug the ports.

When I tried the trial version of Dirac when it was new it left me unimpressed compared to my manual EQ that was implemented after measuring the response. I do hope to revisit it at some point though.
post #291 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 AM
Point Source

Number one, how exactly would you even plug those ports? The 12's behind them need those holes to transition their response into the horn.
post #292 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I had foam lying around, I cut them into appropriate sizes.

I'm not sure what you mean by transition their response to the horn.
post #293 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Audible phase issues depends on the port tuning. I noticed virtually no difference in bass response when I substituted SM60Fs in place of my sealed Statements crossed at 80Hz...except for the improved dynamics.
post #294 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The abrupt and strong phase shift on the SH50s below 80Hz is evident in its spec sheet. My goal was to flatten it out and for me there was an audible difference. YMMV.

When the volume was pushed the foam plugs would pop out of the ports, to prevent this limited the SPL considerably.
post #295 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The abrupt and strong phase shift on the SH50s below 80Hz is evident in its spec sheet. My goal was to flatten it out and for me there was an audible difference. YMMV.

When the volume was pushed the foam plugs would pop out of the ports, to prevent this limited the SPL considerably.
How quickly were you rolling off below 80Hz?
post #296 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I have attached a measurement. No smoothing, at LP, 55Hz HPF, No EQ with ports plugged, measurement is for one SH50.

My room has a lot of absorption and is quite heavily treated.

Next time I get a chance I will try to measure nearfield with ports plugged/unplugged to see the difference at the horn mouth. For now I use it with the ports open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR.png
Views:	140
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	716738  
post #297 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 1431
Quote:
I have attached a measurement. No smoothing, at LP, 55Hz HPF, No EQ with ports plugged, measurement is for one SH50.

Next time I get a chance I will try to measure nearfield with ports plugged/unplugged to see the difference at the horn mouth. For now I use it with the ports open.
I'd love to see that. Hard to tweak out what's room or speaker in that one.
post #298 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Sh50 has a better phase response.

They are different tools for different purposes.

I think of all loudspeakers as "tools". There are advantages and disadvantages to all loudspeakers.

It is not a matter of which is "better", but rather which is better for a particular defined usage. A different usage could require a different "tool".

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
post #299 of 347 Old 05-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Point Source

Quote:

I see nothing like that in my room below 100hz. I have a very smooth response down past 70hz....for sure room is playing a part but whatever improves your response I say go for it!
post #300 of 347 Old 05-15-2015, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't have many issues in the bass range with the subs. In their current position the subs require very little EQ. Most of my room issues tend to be in the mid bass range like with most rooms. As always positioning is of great importance.

The 2 subs are located mid wall on both the side walls.

Attached is a measurement, no smoothing, at LP, no EQ, HPF 45Hz, LPF 150Hz. Measurement is for 1 BC412.

My speaker measurements may be a little more difficult to read because of the lack of smoothing, if I apply 1/6th smoothing then it is prettier and easier to read of course but personally I like to use no smoothing to see more details. I do use 1/6th-1/48th to get an idea of the basic curve when I EQ the system but I tend to save measurements with no smoothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR2.png
Views:	116
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	718066  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , D H Labs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version