official danley sound labs thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes

post #361 of 392 Old 09-08-2016, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 39
In my ever elusive search for another DTS-10 I spotted a pair of SM-60F's on US audiomart for sale. They are in Wisconsin, I have no affiliation just giving a heads up. Listed a few days ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 392 Old 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
In my ever elusive search for another DTS-10 I spotted a pair of SM-60F's on US audiomart for sale. They are in Wisconsin, I have no affiliation just giving a heads up. Listed a few days ago.
That guy is who I bought my original pair of sm60f's off and is a good guy to deal with. I guess he went back to them after attempting some DIY stuff. @hum4god ..... So what is up next now? What did you think you were missing? Hope all is well buddy!

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
FS: BossoBass A-14K amplifier
post #363 of 392 Old 09-08-2016, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
That guy is who I bought my original pair of sm60f's off and is a good guy to deal with. I guess he went back to them after attempting some DIY stuff. @hum4god ..... So what is up next now? What did you think you were missing? Hope all is well buddy!

all is well , i am listening to sh50 now , bigger and badder.
thanks for the mention , i actually owned three pairs of sm60f , every time i sold them to try my own speakers i realized that i missed them , finally upgraded to sh50 .
ellisr63 and Gooddoc like this.

post #364 of 392 Old 09-08-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Just curious from others but where is a good place to buy the DSL products from?

I know what they cost for the dealer, will most likely try and build one myself but I am curious to hear what the normal deal rate is. I am only looking at the SH64's. Maybe I should ask DSL if they still have any of the "old," SH64's still.?
post #365 of 392 Old 09-09-2016, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I don't think DSL's are sold with 'deals'. I think you just pay MSRP. At least that is what I paid.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #366 of 392 Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 333
As I have looked throughout the years for DSL gear I have seen MSRP and dealer pricing. Dealers have a MSRP and at times sell the products for what they can to make a sell. I have had many PM's over the years. Been a while so I figured I would ask. The local dealer here is selling the DSL gear for more than I can buy it for and ship it at MSRP. SO I will stick with the cheaper option. AND while I am very interested in building my very own I am also very curious to see if I can swing a single or perhaps a pair of SH64's.

Either way I am not trying to cause any ruckus just curious about pricing and whom to chat with is all.
post #367 of 392 Old 09-09-2016, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

There is a single SH-100 on Ebay for some of you looking for a Danley center channel. I use an SH-100B for LCR and it's a great center (SH-100 for surrounds and they sound great there)

post #368 of 392 Old 09-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Confession: Been listening to Danley speakers at an Omnimax theater in Chicago for 20+ years. Still just as impressed as I was on day one.
post #369 of 392 Old 09-09-2016, 09:57 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by hum4god View Post
all is well , i am listening to sh50 now , bigger and badder.
thanks for the mention , i actually owned three pairs of sm60f , every time i sold them to try my own speakers i realized that i missed them , finally upgraded to sh50 .
Ah yes, moved up to the big boys eh? They are definitely a sweet speaker to say the least. I can thank you for starting my journey which led to their inevitable purchase.

post #370 of 392 Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone with Danleys looking to add atmos or surrounds for all Danley setup, a pretty good deal for 4 SH-Minis just came up on eBay.

post #371 of 392 Old 11-09-2016, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Ping Ivan Beaver or anyone else who knows....

Do other models like SM60Fs include the sentinel protection circuit shown here:

I'm guessing not, or maybe it is a more recent advent, would just like to clarify as someone is asking about my SM60s.

JoshK on most other audio forums
Quantity only when quality is ensured.
post #372 of 392 Old 05-14-2017, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Hi @Ivan Beaver and @Tom Danley ,

I've had a pair of SM60Fs as L/R mains in my home theater for over two years. I think they are fantastic, but I would like to explore making them even better. I remember reading a thread a while back where Tom was helping someone convert their SM60Fs (or maybe SH50s) to active crossovers, but I haven't been able to find the thread again. I remember that Tom was going to have him make some anechoic measurements, and then TOM was going to provide some target transfer functions for each driver that would optimize the response of the Synergy Horn. I was wondering if this information is still available.

I was looking at using a miniDSP 2x4 HD with the 3rd party Rephase FIR Tool to implement the active crossover. If there are better solutions or ones you would be more willing to support, I'd be open to using something else. Please let me know if there is any guidance you can provide in this endeavor.

Thanks,
Darrell
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by darrellh44; 05-14-2017 at 07:59 PM.
post #373 of 392 Old 05-16-2017, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post

I've had a pair of SM60Fs as L/R mains in my home theater for over two years. I think they are fantastic, but I would like to explore making them even better. I remember reading a thread a while back where Tom was helping someone convert their SM60Fs (or maybe SH50s) to active crossovers, but I haven't been able to find the thread again. I remember that Tom was going to have him make some anechoic measurements, and then TOM was going to provide some target transfer functions for each driver that would optimize the response of the Synergy Horn. I was wondering if this information is still available.

I was looking at using a miniDSP 2x4 HD with the 3rd party Rephase FIR Tool to implement the active crossover. If there are better solutions or ones you would be more willing to support, I'd be open to using something else. Please let me know if there is any guidance you can provide in this endeavor.

Thanks,
Darrell
I found the thread I had mentioned earlier here for those who are interested. The entire thread is interesting, but Tom starts talking about coverting SH-50s to active crossovers in the latter 3rd of post #7, and continues with several follow-up posts after that.

I'd still love to hear from @Ivan Beaver or @Tom Danley if they are listening.

Thanks,
Darrell
post #374 of 392 Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
There is a pair of 50's and an SH60 in the classified right now, just begging someone to go all active on them. I can't understand why these haven't been snatched up already. Very nice price.
post #375 of 392 Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
There is a pair of 50's and an SH60 in the classified right now, just begging someone to go all active on them. I can't understand why these haven't been snatched up already. Very nice price.
I wish I could use the SH50s, but I'm already wall-to-wall with my 10' wide projector screen and SM60Fs off to the sides. The SM60Fs are against the side walls as Tom recommends. I considered going AT with the speakers behind the screen, but I refuse to spend double on an AT screen just to compromise both SQ and PQ. Even ignoring these compromises, I would not be able to put the SH50s against the sidewalls and place them behind the screen at the same time without going to a 13.5' wide screeen - not going to happen.
post #376 of 392 Old 05-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
The SM60Fs are against the side walls as Tom recommends. I considered going AT with the speakers behind the screen, but I refuse to spend double on an AT screen just to compromise both SQ and PQ.
I followed Tom's recommendation as well for the L and R. However, my Center SM60F is behind an AT screen. If there is any compromise to the center I sure can't tell and I have listened both with and without a screen. I think the key is to have good EQ and appropriate treatments.
AudioJosh likes this.

Last edited by mikela; 05-17-2017 at 07:20 AM.
post #377 of 392 Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Point Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
I followed Tom's recommendation as well for the L and R. However, my Center SM60F is behind an AT screen. If there is any compromise to the center I sure can't tell and I have listened both with and without a screen. I think the key is to have good EQ and appropriate treatments.
Agreed. The rolloff of the high end of the FR is hardly noticeable when you are actually using quality woven screen materials. With Microperf, the difference is slightly more significant but nothing a little high shelf can't take care of. Stewart even sells units to take care of just that for you. I actually have one laying around still if anyone needs it for any reason.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #378 of 392 Old 05-17-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikela View Post
What AT screen do you have, and how much separation do you have between the screen and the front of the SM60F CC?

If I were to add just a center channel behind my screen, there are still other compromises I would have to make. Not only would I have to replace my current $2500 ST130 screen, but I would lose at least part of the shadow box I've built around the screen. Currently my screen is flat against the wall and is recessed by at least 24" depth of black velvet covered surfaces on all 4 sides. If I were to add a CC behind the screen, I assume I would lose at least half of this shadow box depth even if I use an SM100 for the CC which is only 9" deep.

Also I've always been leery of AT manufacturer's specs on the frequency responses they provide with and without their screen in place. If they provide any measurements, it's always on-axis only which tells nothing about how the dispersion is being affected. I agree you can compensate for the on-axis response electronically, but that won't fix the dispersion anomalies introduced by the screen.

EDIT: Besides Danley even recommends pulling the grills off his speakers to get the best SQ. I don't see how you can look at the large perforations on his grills and then look at any AT screen and say it won't have any impact.

Last edited by darrellh44; 05-17-2017 at 10:02 AM.
post #379 of 392 Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
What AT screen do you have, and how much separation do you have between the screen and the front of the SM60F CC?
I have a Falcon screen with the Horizon 4K material. The screen is approximately 11" in front. The Danley center channnel is also surrounded by 4" of absorption.

Quote:
EDIT: Besides Danley even recommends pulling the grills off his speakers to get the best SQ. I don't see how you can look at the large perforations on his grills and then look at any AT screen and say it won't have any impact.
What I said was that I compensate for the impact of the screen and after extensive listening can tell no difference. The gain I get from having the sound emanate from the center of the screen far exceeds any perceived issues. I ran 2 Danleys on the outside of my screen for years...there is no contest as far as I am concerned with the addition of the center Danley and AT screen. YMMV
ellisr63, AudioJosh and darrellh44 like this.
post #380 of 392 Old 05-22-2017, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I use the SM60F's in a 2-channel setup - I also love them and have thought about going active. I recommend checking out the DEQX HDP-4 (or -5) systems (http://www.deqx.com) which include 3-channel DSP, DACs and preamps in one package. They include room/driver frequency/phase + time-alignment features.

I had one for a little bit and it was a decent unit. Unfortunately, my love of tubes kept me away from going to a 3-way fully active approach. But, I tried the unit for speaker/room correction, and doing so *did* increase transparency to the (already massively clear) Danleys. If I was a solid state guy, I bet bypassing the crossovers w/ 3 separate amps would've been amazing. But, one pair of 300B tube amps is enough of a pain!

To be fair, however, I did have to record the Impulse response a handful of times to get a good take. (Doing so outside with a good microphone) is what made the difference.) If you record the impulse response poorly, you get weird room compensation artifacts (obviously).

Other thoughts: If you want to do a true 4-way design (SM60f+sub) the DEQX can't handle it (maybe not necessary for your home theatre arrangement?). Here, the SH-50s are a win for 'full range'.

Also, my snobby audiophile opinion is that the DEQX unit has so-so DACs. (My Schiit Yggdrasil still continues to blow my mind regularly. (http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil)) But, if you really wanna be crazy about that, there are digital outs from the DEQX you can use. $$$!

Bottom-line: I think you're on to something with the active approach. The Danleys do such an amazing job with launching the sound into the room, removing the passive crossover pretty much addresses the last "weak link" (which isn't that bad) that the speakers have. I go to 'Audiophile' listening shows here in Denver and listen to hundreds of systems worth many times what my humble SM60 rig is. It's very rare that I hear one as good, and if so, it's incredibly expensive (and in a very large room) - neither of which I could handle.

I understand it's not good business for Danley - but I do wish they'd officially serve the home market... would be such a revelation for the industry.

Quote:

Thanks,
Darrell
ellisr63, mikela and ambesolman like this.
post #381 of 392 Old 05-22-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightylight View Post
I use the SM60F's in a 2-channel setup - I also love them and have thought about going active. I recommend checking out the DEQX HDP-4 (or -5) systems (http://www.deqx.com) which include 3-channel DSP, DACs and preamps in one package. They include room/driver frequency/phase + time-alignment features.

I had one for a little bit and it was a decent unit. Unfortunately, my love of tubes kept me away from going to a 3-way fully active approach. But, I tried the unit for speaker/room correction, and doing so *did* increase transparency to the (already massively clear) Danleys. If I was a solid state guy, I bet bypassing the crossovers w/ 3 separate amps would've been amazing. But, one pair of 300B tube amps is enough of a pain!

To be fair, however, I did have to record the Impulse response a handful of times to get a good take. (Doing so outside with a good microphone) is what made the difference.) If you record the impulse response poorly, you get weird room compensation artifacts (obviously).

Other thoughts: If you want to do a true 4-way design (SM60f+sub) the DEQX can't handle it (maybe not necessary for your home theatre arrangement?). Here, the SH-50s are a win for 'full range'.

Also, my snobby audiophile opinion is that the DEQX unit has so-so DACs. (My Schiit Yggdrasil still continues to blow my mind regularly. (http://schiit.com/products/yggdrasil)) But, if you really wanna be crazy about that, there are digital outs from the DEQX you can use. $$$!

Bottom-line: I think you're on to something with the active approach. The Danleys do such an amazing job with launching the sound into the room, removing the passive crossover pretty much addresses the last "weak link" (which isn't that bad) that the speakers have. I go to 'Audiophile' listening shows here in Denver and listen to hundreds of systems worth many times what my humble SM60 rig is. It's very rare that I hear one as good, and if so, it's incredibly expensive (and in a very large room) - neither of which I could handle.

I understand it's not good business for Danley - but I do wish they'd officially serve the home market... would be such a revelation for the industry.
Hi Mighty,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also thinking about doing what you did where you kept the passive crossovers in place and just used electronic eq to smooth the overall speaker's magnitude and phase response. In my case I'm using ARC in my Anthem AVR to fix room problems, but I try to limit the max EQ frequency to just fix the modal problems. For now I'm correcting up to 1500 Hz since the room/speaker anomalies that ARC sees between 500 Hz and 1500 Hz in general match Danley's published anechoic response. What I would really like to do in the short-term is measure each my speakers' anechoic response outdoors, and then use electronic eq to only fix the SM60Fs' anechoic response and phase. I would then allow ARC to correct the room and the pre-EQ'd speakers, but only below 400 Hz or so.

Depending on how that goes, I would then look into doing a true active crossover implementation with the same goals. But I was under the impression the SM60Fs were 2-way and not 3-way. If they are 3-way, that does change my DSP options a bit. The ADC/DACs in the miniDSP HD products seem to have a good reputation as far as SQ, so I would like to use them.

I have never used tube amps, but I'm curious about them. My boss is currently building a DIY 300B tube amp and has planted a bug in my ear. One of the things that concerns me about tube amps is their high output impedance. Apparently this has some sonic advantages in how they 'soften' transient interactions between and within the speaker's drivers and crossover components. But most Danley speakers have very irregular and fast changing impedance curves with dips to 3 ohms, so it seems tube amps would have have problems driving this type of load.

Thanks,
Darrell
post #382 of 392 Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Hi Mighty,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm also thinking about doing what you did where you kept the passive crossovers in place and just used electronic eq to smooth the overall speaker's magnitude and phase response. In my case I'm using ARC in my Anthem AVR to fix room problems, but I try to limit the max EQ frequency to just fix the modal problems. For now I'm correcting up to 1500 Hz since the room/speaker anomalies that ARC sees between 500 Hz and 1500 Hz in general match Danley's published anechoic response. What I would really like to do in the short-term is measure each my speakers' anechoic response outdoors, and then use electronic eq to only fix the SM60Fs' anechoic response and phase. I would then allow ARC to correct the room and the pre-EQ'd speakers, but only below 400 Hz or so.

Depending on how that goes, I would then look into doing a true active crossover implementation with the same goals. But I was under the impression the SM60Fs were 2-way and not 3-way. If they are 3-way, that does change my DSP options a bit. The ADC/DACs in the miniDSP HD products seem to have a good reputation as far as SQ, so I would like to use them.

I have never used tube amps, but I'm curious about them. My boss is currently building a DIY 300B tube amp and has planted a bug in my ear. One of the things that concerns me about tube amps is their high output impedance. Apparently this has some sonic advantages in how they 'soften' transient interactions between and within the speaker's drivers and crossover components. But most Danley speakers have very irregular and fast changing impedance curves with dips to 3 ohms, so it seems tube amps would have have problems driving this type of load.

Thanks,
Darrell
Hey Darrell,

Yes, the SM60F is actually 3-way: they use a coaxial 2-driver compression horn (Tweeter + Mid), in addition to the 2x 8" Low-freq drivers. When you look down at the compression horn, you'll see a center hole (where the HF comes out), plus 4x holes surrounding it which are for the mid. Then, the bass holes are midway down the mouth of the Synergy Horn. Finally, are the bass-reflex breathing ports, are further towards the front.

That said, I use the speakers at relatively quiet volumes - my tube amp is only 7Watts! So, there's plenty of headroom to EQ the bejeezus out of the bass to get another 10~20Hz of LF extension. That said, I actually don't miss it *that* much playing them flat... I'm more of a midrange-snob than basshead (hence me running tubes). The Danley's are so $#@! efficient that I pretty much *never* turn my amp up over 50%... amazing. Similarly, the amp delivers huge *current*, so the impedance variance is negligible; transformers & power supply are everything for tube amps - not a place to skimp.

300B is a magical creature if you can work it right... different signature than other tubes, and so yummy/floaty in the midrange. I use a Sophia Electric amp that I was lucky enough to get used at less than 1/2-price - always look for the bargains! (www.sophiaelectric.com) They really know their stuff in re-creating the magic of the old Western Electric sound, while simultaneously extending the freq range. I believe they've got great sounding 'baby' amps. They also make their own tubes (!!) and apparently their highest-end models ('Royal Princess') are heralded by many snobs as one of the best ever created. Wish I cld afford...

Final note: The Danley's are actually resolving enough that you really can hear blatant differences in speaker wire quality. Really. Wire is one of the biggest scams in the audiophile world, but cable dielectrics definitely affect the transient response. Anti-Cables (http://anticables.com) is a cable I found that creates solid-wire cables with almost zero dielectric loss at a reasonable price. I've got 2 degrees in electrical engineering, so I never put much stock in cables. But when I got a set, I couldn't believe my ears on the difference it made. Same w/ their Power Cords. It was like a whole new rig.

OK. The 2-channel tube guy better quit spamming the A/V forum w/ all his audiophile gobbledygook before he gets lynched!!

-J
ellisr63 and darrellh44 like this.
post #383 of 392 Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK. The 2-channel tube guy better quit spamming the A/V forum w/ all his audiophile gobbledygook before he gets lynched!!

-J
I think this thread has been idle enough that no one is going to care.

Quote:
Final note: The Danley's are actually resolving enough that you really can hear blatant differences in speaker wire quality. Really. Wire is one of the biggest scams in the audiophile world, but cable dielectrics definitely affect the transient response. Anti-Cables (http://anticables.com) is a cable I found that creates solid-wire cables with almost zero dielectric loss at a reasonable price. I've got 2 degrees in electrical engineering, so I never put much stock in cables. But when I got a set, I couldn't believe my ears on the difference it made. Same w/ their Power Cords. It was like a whole new rig.
I'm afraid my single EE degree is not convinced yet. One of these days I'm going to hook up a voltage divider probe to my REW's mic input so I can run FFTs just on electrical signals at various places so I can see for myself the affects of different amps, cables, speaker loads, and volumes. Seems like a very obvious thing to do, but I've never seen any measurements like this comparing FFTs along the signal chain.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #384 of 392 Old 05-23-2017, 03:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked: 2091
Quote:
Same w/ their Power Cords. It was like a whole new rig.
Lynching? Nah

But you really lost me here broski. Power cords? Really??
post #385 of 392 Old 05-23-2017, 07:36 AM
Point Source

No offense, but I kinda got lost at the "Yummy" midrange Haha. That's a first hearing that one... Would you mind defining that a little more?

post #386 of 392 Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No offense, but I kinda got lost at the "Yummy" midrange Haha. That's a first hearing that one... Would you mind defining that a little more?
I took it to mean that 2nd harmonic distortion from the tube amp is 'dripping off' the midrange kinda like butter dripping off a bite of steak at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

I've always wondered why if 2nd harmonic distortion is such a good thing, then why don't the studios add it in themselves when mastering source material. Trying to do this with tube amps is the same thing as speaker manufacturers trying to voice their speakers to have a sweeter upper range for example. Chasing these audio 'enhancements' with our home systems may sometimes sound good, and other times worse, but it just winds up adding to the circle of chaos between what the studios think we should hear, and how we think we should pre-emptively make it better. We end-users should instead strive to make our home systems as accurate as possible and let the studios add any spicing as part of the overall artistic creation. Maybe they could even release multiple 'flavors' of the same recording to suit individual tastes, like butter or no-butter.

Last edited by darrellh44; 05-23-2017 at 09:37 AM.
post #387 of 392 Old 05-23-2017, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
I took it to mean that 2nd harmonic distortion from the tube amp is 'dripping off' the midrange kinda like butter dripping off a bite of steak at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

I've always wondered why if 2nd harmonic distortion is such a good thing, then why don't the studios add it in themselves when mastering source material. Trying to do this with tube amps is the same thing as speaker manufacturers trying to voice their

Tube sound isn't HD, mostly. It's mostly frequency response errors caused because they can't maintain flat response into actual loudspeakers.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #388 of 392 Old 05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Point Source

Quote:

I've always wondered why if 2nd harmonic distortion is such a good thing, then why don't the studios add it in themselves when mastering source material. Trying to do this with tube amps is the same thing as speaker manufacturers trying to voice their speakers to have a sweeter upper range for example. Chasing these audio 'enhancements' with our home systems may sometimes sound good, and other times worse, but it just winds up adding to the circle of chaos between what the studios think we should hear, and how we think we should pre-emptively make it better. We end-users should instead strive to make our home systems as accurate as possible and let the studios add any spicing as part of the overall artistic creation. Maybe they could even release multiple 'flavors' of the same recording to suit individual tastes, like butter or no-butter.
Ugh, the B-word (that's dripping off the steak (UGH)) three times in one post. I'm a vegan, have some respect.....

Kidding, but in reality 2nd harmonic adds depth to the reproduction of musical instruments, it sounds pleasing to the ears. It happens in real life, therefore the presence of it when creating "effects" would be warranted. If you try and produce effects without it, they sound unnatural, but as DS-21 said, this has nothing to do with the tube amps as much as it does actual production before it ever hits said tube-amp.
Gooddoc and darrellh44 like this.

post #389 of 392 Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ugh, the B-word (that's dripping off the steak (UGH)) three times in one post. I'm a vegan, have some respect.....

Kidding, but in reality 2nd harmonic adds depth to the reproduction of musical instruments, it sounds pleasing to the ears. It happens in real life, therefore the presence of it when creating "effects" would be warranted. If you try and produce effects without it, they sound unnatural, but as DS-21 said, this has nothing to do with the tube amps as much as it does actual production before it ever hits said tube-amp.
You butter be kidding.
post #390 of 392 Old Today, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Darrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 

Ivan
Would the sm96 pair well with sm60f for a center channel?

Yes-that is a great combo. The SM96 would need to be turned sideways to get the 90 wide pattern.

In this case the SM96 and SM60F use the same crossover and drivers-so they "play well" with each other.

In the case of the Sm60/60/69 family they also play well together-but there are a few crossover values that change between the different models to account for the different impedance loading due to the different horns.

With all of our products the crossover is tuned to the specific cabinet/driver combination. No "off the shelf" crossovers hear at all! They are all rolled from scratch-some using some very unique "tricks" that I KNEW were errors when I first saw Toms design-but as he said "take them out and see what happens". So I did. And WOW he was right-even though the basic concept goes against everything I knew (at the time) about crossover design.
Hi Ivan,

I'm still holding out hope for a response on this from someone at Danley. I've learned a couple of things since the first request.

First the SM60Fs are 3-way and not 2-way. In this case I may consider leaving the passive crossovers between the coax tweeter/mid driver and only go active between the combined coax and the 8" bass drivers. I would still apply DSP EQ to the overall anechoic response after incorporating the active crossover. Of course another way is to not change any of the crossovers and just apply DSP EQ to the design as is to correct the anechoic magnitude and phase. But I still wonder if there's a risk of screwing up the speaker's dispersion in the process.

The second thing I've learned is there is some 'secret' sauce in the Danley crossover designs as alluded to in your quoted post above. So it looks like diving in with traditional active crossovers won't work as well which is why I'm asking for your help. In any case I'm curious about the "take them out and see what happens" comment. What exactly changes for the worse - is it magnitude, phase, dispersion, all the above? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,
Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Danley Sound Labs , Danley Sound Labs Dts 10 , D H Labs